PDA

View Full Version : Revamping The Monster Statblock

Fax Celestis
2010-09-23, 06:29 PM
I'm working on revamping the 3.5 monster statblock for d20r. Is this significantly more usable than the existing 3.5 statblock? Are there any changes that you think should be included?

{name} (CR {CR})
{alignment} {size} {type} ({subtype})
Class {class, if any}
[hr]Pre-Combat
Init: {init}; Senses: {senses}
Languages: {languages}
[hr]Defense
AC {AC}; touch {tAC}; flat-footed {ffAC}

({AC-detail})
HP {HP} ({HD} HD); DR {DR}
GD {Grapple Defense}
Immune {immune}; Resist {resist}; Weak {weak}
Fort {fort} Ref {ref} Will {will}
SR {SR}
SQ {Special Qualities}
[hr]Offense
Speed {speed} ft. ({squares} squares); {alt-speed}
Melee {melee}
Ranged {ranged}
Space {space} ft.; Reach {reach} ft.
BAB {BAB}; Grp {grapple}
Attack Options {atk-opt}
Special Actions {spec-opt}
Combat Gear {gear}
[hr]Post-Combat
Death: {any on-death effects}
Linger: {Lingering effects like poison, disease, ability damage, negative levels with DCs}
Treasure: {treasure}
[hr]Other
Abilities Str {str} Dex {dex} Con {con} Int {int} Wis {wis} Cha {cha}
Apprentice Skills {apprenticed skills}
Journeyman Skills {journeyman skills}
Mastered Skills {mastered skills}
[hr]Feats
{feat1}: {feat1 effects}
{feat2}: {feat2 effects}
{feat3}: {feat3 effects}
{feat4}: {feat4 effects}
{feat5}: {feat5 effects}
[hr]Abilities
{ability1}: {ability1 effects}
{ability2}: {ability2 effects}
{ability3}: {ability3 effects}
{ability4}: {ability4 effects}
{ability5}: {ability5 effects}

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-23, 06:36 PM
Everything is on a recognizable place and it should speed combat a lot, since you can find the necesary info with a glance.

Can I stealborrow it? I have a serious problem when organizing statblocks and usually it all ends as a huge mess.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-23, 06:37 PM
Yeah, go ahead.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-23, 06:39 PM

Unrest
2010-09-23, 06:46 PM
One thing I always found a nuisance was the ability scores. If there was a quick way to organize them into a box or a column with simple text formatting I'd be in heaven... looking for the score in one line always unnerved me. But maybe for some it's very minor.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-23, 06:47 PM
They take up a lot less space horizontally. I was considering adding the stat mods to that line though.

Ernir
2010-09-23, 06:51 PM
Needs some space for items/treasure, IMO.

EDIT: I should add that I really like the general layout. :smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2010-09-23, 07:20 PM
Needs some space for items/treasure, IMO.

There's the "combat gear" line under Offense. Treasure beyond that is a function of CR, and any special treasure amounts should probably go into an annotation at the end of the creature's abilities.

Innis Cabal
2010-09-23, 07:23 PM
Why? Why not throw it on a special list so people can easily reference it instead of searching after the special abilities. Seems counter intuitive to convolute the thing your trying to make easier.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-23, 07:31 PM
Alright, good point. I've added a Post-Combat section.

Coidzor
2010-09-23, 07:31 PM
They take up a lot less space horizontally. I was considering adding the stat mods to that line though.

True, but if anyone could think of some way to make it easier on the eyes to pick 'em out, that'd be great.

Though, at the top of the section they're in rather than inbetween things would definitely be an improvement.

I hate parsing a few characters out from inbetween two blocks of texts like they sometimes have...

Fax Celestis
2010-09-23, 07:32 PM
Though, at the top of the section they're in rather than inbetween things would definitely be an improvement.

They are at the top of the Other section.

Coidzor
2010-09-23, 08:28 PM
They are at the top of the Other section.

Yeah, I was commenting upon that in a sort of odd way, wasn't I? Sorry.

Lhurgyof
2010-09-23, 08:32 PM
What are journeyman skills and apprentice skills? :smallconfused:

Eldan
2010-09-23, 08:34 PM
Those are d20r terms.

Anyway, this looks pretty good so far. Care to write an example?

ALso, your avatar seems broken... "Image unavailable".

Fax Celestis
2010-09-23, 09:10 PM
Goblin Warrior (CR 1)
Usually LE Small Humanoid (Goblinoid)
Class Warrior 1
[hr]Pre-Combat
Init: +3; Senses: Darkvision 60', Perception +1
Languages: Common, Goblin
[hr]Defense
AC 17; touch 14; flat-footed 13

(+1 size, +3 Dex, +2 leather armor, +1 light shield)
HP 6 (1d8+2 HD); DR None
GD 10
Immune none; Resist none; Weak none
Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +1
SR None
SQ None
[hr]Offense
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee Shortsword +4 (1d6, Finesse, High Critical)
Ranged Javelin +4 (1d4-1)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
BAB +1; Grp +0
Attack Options Sneaky Tricks +2d4
Special Actions Hamstring
Combat Gear Weapons listed, plus eight javelins and two vials of alchemist's fire
[hr]Post-Combat
Death: None
Linger: None
Treasure: Weapons, armor, gems, and coins only
[hr]Other
Abilities Str 9 (-1) Dex 17 (+3) Con 14 (+2) Int 10 (+0) Wis 13 (+1) Cha 12 (+1)
Apprentice Skills Acrobatics, Athletics, Intimidate, Sense Motive, Stealth
Journeyman Skills Handle Animal, Ride
Mastered Skills None
[hr]Feats
Hamstring: When attacking a target who is affected by the goblin's Sneaky Tricks damage, he may sacrifice one die of his Sneaky Tricks damage to force that creature to make a Fortitude save (DC 12; 10 + 1/2 level + full number of sneaky tricks damage dice) or suffer a -10' penalty to all their modes of movement until they either receive magical healing or receive a Heal check that surpasses the same DC.
Weapon Finesse: A goblin uses his Dexterity modifier for attack rolls with weapons that have the Finesse property. 4 points invested: +1 damage for weapons with the Finesse property.
[hr]Abilities
Sneaky Tricks: Whenever a goblin strikes a foe that is flat-footed, he adds 2d4 damage. This is not precision damage, so this additional damage affects even creatures who are immune to sneak attack or critical hits.

The goblin presented here had the following scores before racial modifications: Str 11 Dex 15 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 13 Cha 12

Gralamin
2010-09-23, 10:39 PM
Why, Exactly, is Speed considered Offensive? I probably wouldn't look for it there.

noiadodh
2010-09-23, 10:46 PM
Why, Exactly, is Speed considered Offensive? I probably wouldn't look for it there.

except for the marshall ability, a creature only move on his turn right?

Tyndmyr
2010-09-23, 10:47 PM
I find the most tedious NPCs to list are the ones with spellcasting, since I like to list typical spells prepared. Any good way to do that without getting rather lengthy?

Fax Celestis
2010-09-23, 10:56 PM

It's an "on my turn I need these stats" block, but that's too long for a title.

I find the most tedious NPCs to list are the ones with spellcasting, since I like to list typical spells prepared. Any good way to do that without getting rather lengthy?
I'm working on that. Having mostly beguiler-like spellcasters should help somewhat.

Coidzor
2010-09-24, 01:26 AM
Huh? How's the goblin avoiding a having a 1d6-1 for his Morningstar damage?

Emperor Tippy
2010-09-24, 02:32 AM
I like it, much easier and quicker. Although I would add the ability modifiers after the ability scores.

Coidzor
2010-09-24, 02:51 AM
I like it, much easier and quicker. Although I would add the ability modifiers after the ability scores.

ooo, ooo, in parentheses!

DonEsteban
2010-09-24, 04:14 AM
Where would you list situational modifiers like the dwarves' save bonuses, attack bonuses, AC bonuses? I always find them easy to forget if you just list them under Special Qualities, but messy if you try to include them directly (for instance into the AC line).

Don't you list Spot/Listen under Perception? I always found that pretty handy in Paizo's stat block format.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-24, 08:46 AM
Huh? How's the goblin avoiding a having a 1d6-1 for his Morningstar damage?Read the Weapon Finesse feat at the bottom. He's got 4 points invested in it. EDIT: ...except I'm an idiot and finesse isn't a morningstar property. The morningstar is now diamonds a shortsword.

I like it, much easier and quicker. Although I would add the ability modifiers after the ability scores.Done.

Where would you list situational modifiers like the dwarves' save bonuses, attack bonuses, AC bonuses? I always find them easy to forget if you just list them under Special Qualities, but messy if you try to include them directly (for instance into the AC line).Probably a note in Resist with an explanation under "abilities".

Don't you list Spot/Listen under Perception? I always found that pretty handy in Paizo's stat block format.
True, lemme put that in.