PDA

View Full Version : Good News, Everyone!

arguskos
2010-09-23, 07:01 PM
...well, ok, not really, but you're here now aren't you? :smalltongue:

Nah, my actual thread is about the following: it's that time of year, when school in the US starts back up (many universities and colleges start fall quarter/semester around now; and many high schools have already begun). I just finished my first day back, and dammit it was a doozy of a day. I'm in a community college, and sadly, all my classes are on the same damn day (Tuesday and Thursday). I was there from 10:30 AM till 8 PM (right now), and I. Am. Wiped. Out.

Anyone else just gone back to school? If so, how is it? Enjoy your new classes? Like your professors? Burn down the building in rage (likely not but worth asking just for a funny story)?

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-23, 07:09 PM
8:00-15:00 monday through thursday, 8:00-12:00 friday. been that way since august

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-23, 07:11 PM
Monday to friday from 7:30 to 14:30, been like that for a month, and I am already drowned in books to read, essays to write, and homework...oh and I have two exams tomorrow, one on philosofy and the other maths (logarithms and exponentials T-T). and on monday Islam history and Bussiness studies.

Really I shouldn't be posting but I just finished a large essay and I deserve a break

Mauve Shirt
2010-09-23, 07:16 PM
I've been back since August 23rd. My schedule starts at 9 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 9:30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Ends at noon Mondays and Wednesdays, 2:00 Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
I hate all of my classes, which is a big bummer after last semester, when I liked all of my classes.
Ok, I really only hate one of them. My German professor is awful. Half of the words out of her mouth are "You don't need to remember that, that won't be on the test." She told us that the questions we'd had for homework would be the ones on the test, then gave us completely different questions out of the things she said we didn't need to know.
Also, my Arabic professor gave us the syllabus for a different professor's Arabic 101 class, so none of us have any idea what and when stuff is going on.
German History is alright, and Intro to World Religions is a boring lecture course, but I'll probably get an A in it. *knock on wood*

Gullara
2010-09-23, 07:26 PM
I started on September 8th. 9:30 to 1:20 on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and 10:00 to 11:15 on Tuesday and Thursday. Its not a bad schedule at all, though I did pick it.

I'm taking Business Administration. I'm really enjoying how so far everything I've learned in my Math class has been review from Calculus last year in high school. I'm glad I took it. My other classes are African American History (kinda dull), Statistics (woo graphs are fun:smalltongue:), Business (good teacher that worked with my great uncle), and Computer Science (should be interesting).

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-23, 07:36 PM
the kicker is, i'm only taking one class

nihilism
2010-09-23, 09:49 PM
damn all those classes sound awesome.

but here i am in grade 10.

Moff Chumley
2010-09-23, 09:51 PM
Grade 11. I have to be awake by 5:30.

So. Much. Hate. :smallfurious:

Sneak
2010-09-23, 10:01 PM
I'm in grade 12! A senior! Which means I only have one more year before college!

My schedule:

1. Free
2. English 12
3. AP Bio
4. AP Bio
5. AP Psych
6. BC Calc
7. BC Calc
8. AP Spanish

...yeahhhhh!

I wish I had room for more lit or arts courses or summin' but nah.

RS14
2010-09-23, 10:06 PM
Back since late august. I'm pretty stressed. I'm taking 16 credits (standard class: 3 credits) plus grading for sophmore physics (E&M), plus another job (but there I can do homework while I warm my chair).

Courses: Analysis II, fun, really hard. I've got an intimidating take-home exam in my folder.
Applied Analysis is so far a little bit easier, thought we're not covering as much theory as I would like.
Abstract Algebra is fairly hard. I have little intuition for it.
Intro Statistics is trivial. Half semester.
Mathematics Colloquium is slightly less trivial than showing up, though I haven't heard anything all that interesting yet.
Intro Macroeconomics is moderately interesting, though the field seems totally lacking in rigour, and I really want it to be more like Mathematics.
Printing (with 19th century movable type presses) is cool, though takes more time than I really have.

Forevernade
2010-09-23, 10:09 PM
http://www.bocachicawired.com/images/prof.gif

SilentNight
2010-09-23, 11:51 PM
I'm in grade 12! A senior! Which means I only have one more year before college!

My schedule:

1. Free
2. English 12
3. AP Bio
4. AP Bio
5. AP Psych
6. BC Calc
7. BC Calc
8. AP Spanish

...yeahhhhh!

I wish I had room for more lit or arts courses or summin' but nah.

Class of '11 whaaaaaat. :smallamused:

I've got similar

1: AP Government/Econ
2: AP Language and Composition
3: AP Chem
4: AB Calculus

And thanks to the wonders of block scheduling I'm in school from 8:15 until 3:55. On the plus side starting in January I'll only have band and BC calculus, assuming they don't make me take three classes.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2010-09-24, 12:39 AM
Yay Brown!

I like a lot of my professors, they're all very quirky and charismatic, and laid back enough that being lax, at best, in my attendance should not be terribly troubling as long as I write good papers and contribute something insightful to the discussions for which I am present. This summer was the longest I've been away from Providence for a long time, and I definitely missed it. I'm nostalgic for my old place, and especially the people who lived there (Oh, Alice and alack!), but it's still nice to look up at it when walking along Wickenden street. A lot of things feel really weird and nostalgic, by town, like any place you've been in too long, until it starts to get into you, too. I have 3/5 of my classes with a girl I used to have an adorable schoolboy crush on, and hanging out with her now in entirely platonic (well, really, we only read Plato in two of the three classes) circumstances way has involved a lot of fond memories of that silly phase. I love my job, even if it pays terribly; it's cool to get to be involved at a pretty big level in something I really care about.

Oh, and I swung only being in class on Tuesdays and Thursdays, admittedly by having class on those days from nine to four and six-thirty, respectively. Still, a four-day weekend every weekend in nice, with friends out in Maine and New York. I already went to a music festival in Monticello without missing any class.

janet986w
2010-09-24, 02:40 AM
{scrubbed}

Form
2010-09-24, 03:31 AM
It's alright. I don't have a lot of courses this year since I'll be spending most of my time on the research project I've started.

Alleine
2010-09-24, 03:54 AM
3rd year of community college, I'm in no rush :smallcool:

3 classes this semester, and all of them are good/easy. Two of them are almost solely lecture classes, meaning easy as pie. Psychology of Women, U.S. History up through the reconstruction, and English 1A which equates to the first college english course here. Its a nice spread out schedule.
10:30-1:45 Mon-Wed and 2:00-3:15 on Tuesdays, 2:00-4:15 on Thursdays. It is unbelievably awesome going to class at 2 in the afternoon.

Normally I'd think its bad that I haven't taken an english course in the 2 years since high school, but doing it now means I'm in a class with two friends who have procrastinated just as much as I have.

Kjata
2010-09-24, 03:54 AM
I start next Tuesday. I'm a little nervous because that's when my actual life begins. High school was a breeze, and I was too lazy to get good grades.

Eadin
2010-09-24, 03:40 PM
University here starts next monday...
I'll be redoing half my first year and some courses from my second year...
I have no classes on friday ^^ yay

Icewalker
2010-09-24, 05:00 PM
Just started class here at UCLA yesterday. Great stuff. Got a class on myth, multivariable calculus, and an upper division history class. Also, with all the new opportunities here, I intend to take up Taiko drumming, Wushu, Tai Chi, and audition for an a capella group within the next couple weeks.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-24, 05:12 PM
This is why I love my course. 4-6 contact hours/week max.

Admittedly I tend to spend my epic levels of free time working rather than boozing etc. but I still get the same
shocked look from everyone I tell that to. My housemate who does
archaeology nearly had a seizure coz she's in 9-5 Monday-Thursday.

nihilism
2010-09-24, 05:36 PM
ugh AP social was basically the single long fight scene from "the mission"
for once in my life i would like to learn about an interesting subject without any interruption of bad movies.

SurlySeraph
2010-09-25, 10:45 AM
Classes started a couple weeks ago. I've got a health policy class (good except that I don't understand economics), a really easy Virgil class (I mean, we're not even reading in Latin!), a writing class to fulfill a requirement that's boring but tolerable, and Math 1b: Dread Secrets of the Integral Flayers. And the math isn't actually too bad.

Extracurricular-wise, I'm doing self-defense classes, working at a library, and semi-involved in a global health organization.

shadow_archmagi
2010-09-25, 11:18 AM
Monday:

8 AM: Creative Writing! Yaaaay!
10 AM: History. Not bad, can't really HATE the teacher for being less charismatic than the amazing history teachers I had in the past.

Tuesday:

8 AM: Literary Interpretation: OH GOD WHY WHAT IS THIS CARP?
2 PM: Statistics: Not bad.

metlink
2010-09-25, 04:18 PM
I started school last week, all six days of the week! I do about 20 hours of University classes, spanning a 42 hour work week.

I am making the best of classes, after being a very bad victim of bureaucracy. I enjoy the classes and I am meeting awesome new people (Sure, it's late-but better late than never~!). The classes themselves (aside from one), I really have nothing to complain about. All is expected now (Before it wasn't) and all is on track. I joined some clubs too and this forum (after some serious long-time lurking).

All in all- it's good so far!

Silly Wizard
2010-09-25, 09:14 PM
Schools been in session for a while here, man. What state do you live in?

Here's my class schedule:
oh wait, I don't have one :(

arguskos
2010-09-25, 09:35 PM
Schools been in session for a while here, man. What state do you live in?
Ohio. CSCC just started on Thursday.

Extra_Crispy
2010-09-26, 12:46 AM
Not taking classes right now. Been trying to figure out how to afford 150K + bill when I try to get into school for next year. That is if I get accepted, and that amount of money is just for 26 months of year around school but includes dorm and books. Here come more loans :smallannoyed:

When I went to nursing school they told me that I needed to take statistics, a 200 level class. But I already took calculus II, a 400 level class. They did not care and required me to take it, slept through it and got an A. Truth be told though I slept through most of my nursing classes and got A's and B's.