PDA

View Full Version : Amusing Build Concepts

Dochetwas
2010-09-23, 07:57 PM
The other day I was bored and statted out a Gnome Barbarian riding a pygmy war rhino, since I was anticipating playing in a 3.5 game a friend of a friend is running.

That plan fell to shambles, unfortunately, but I had a lot of fun building the character. Anyone have ideas for amusing characters that could be made?

Marnath
2010-09-23, 08:10 PM
Sometime I want to try being a pseudodragon sorceror with a human cohort, pretending to be his familiar. Ride around on his shoulders using that one skill trick that lets you disguise your casting while telepathically directing him to mimic the somatic and verbal components to the spell. That way your enemy targets him instead, if they win they won't consider the tiny dragon purring in their lap might be the real threat. :smallcool:

*edit: left off the punchline, which is if your human dies you can just get another and set up shop somewhere else. No one will suspect you are the same little dragon the other crazy guy had.

Captainocaptain
2010-09-23, 09:07 PM
Half-Ogre Paladin.
With his big bad uncle (full ogre) as a mount.
Wielding a Gnome Hook hammer.

EDIT: Oh, and Marnath, I absolutely love your idea! I played a similar character a while ago. I was basically a psionic cat who was for the first few sessions the pet of one of the other characters. Then he turned out to be the main villain at the end. He was Neutral Evil

TheThan
2010-09-23, 09:37 PM
Lets see,

A dragon blooded, half dragon dragon-wrought Kobold dragon shaman.

A deep spawned Half farspawn human psychic warrior (basically he turns into a tentacle monster)

An orc barmaid (unarmed swordsage)

A mermaid sorceress that rides around in a gigantic bubble of water

An awakened housecat rogue

This was an adventuring party. Unfortunately most of them didn’t get to see the light of day. I had a couple more but I’m not recalling them at the moment. Currently they are NPCs.

Dralnu
2010-09-23, 10:15 PM
In our highest level campaign ever we all decided to throw on a quirky template on our characters. The craziest of them all was a half-dragon werebear barbarian. He finally met his end when a cleric touched him in a naughty spot (inflict spell).

Crossblade
2010-09-23, 10:31 PM
This thread pops up every so often. Typical replies are races playing against their weaknesses.

Small races being Barbarians. Gnomes, halflings, kobolds, goblins. (Actually, come to think of it, a duel wielding barbarian goblin might be kinda badass, haven't seen that suggested before)

Tons of Half Orc Bards. A few dwarf bards.
Hrm... how about a skeleton PC bard... uses it's own bones as instruments.

Half Orc wizards.... you get the idea.

Btw, captain... I almost read that as "wielding a Gnome as a Hammer".

nargbop
2010-09-23, 10:54 PM
Hulking Gnome Hurler. Uses the Fling Ally feat and Bloodstorm Blade tome of battle class to toss your spiked mail-wearing gnome friends at your foes. They return in short order, and you fling them again.

Marnath
2010-09-23, 10:56 PM
EDIT: Oh, and Marnath, I absolutely love your idea! I played a similar character a while ago. I was basically a psionic cat who was for the first few sessions the pet of one of the other characters. Then he turned out to be the main villain at the end. He was Neutral Evil

Great minds think alike I guess. ^.^

Wait, you as a PC were the BBEG? O.o
Never seen that one before.

Fiery Diamond
2010-09-23, 11:11 PM
Great minds think alike I guess. ^.^

Wait, you as a PC were the BBEG? O.o
Never seen that one before.

Actually, with the right group, this could be awesome.

Hague
2010-09-24, 12:59 AM
An evil Deathless cleric that creates undead?

A warforged that's taken a Vow of Peace?

A mindflayer that operates a school or university to make "delicacies" out of different kinds of brains?

Kylarra
2010-09-24, 01:03 AM
obligatory beguiler beguiler.

Mordrigar
2010-09-24, 01:17 AM
I once played Dread Necromancer Aasimar who has Fiend Blooded class levels and turned (Evolved) Necropolitan later. Celestial, Fiendish and Undead. Hmm delicious...

Psyborg
2010-09-25, 09:41 AM
Warforged Bard. Fluffed as a one-man band. Built-in cuckoo clock, organ, cymbals, clockwork marionette orchestra in the chest compartment...and so on. Maybe loudspeakers built in too, if you don't mind the anachronism. The Walking Jukebox.

No mechanical benefit, although I'd allow him to get his "instruments" enchanted eventually to increase the range of his Music abilities, due to being extremely loud.

And there's no _way_ this guy's ever going to pass a Disguise check :smallcool:

Amphetryon
2010-09-25, 09:52 AM
Feytouched Half-fey Killoren Sorcerer/Wild Soul.

I think this one's on the list of things not allowed in a campaign anymore, but I had a blast playing a Dwarven Wizard who stuttered (CHA 7) in any language but Draconic.

tonberrian
2010-09-25, 09:57 AM
Fiend of Possession cloud of dust/puddle/whatever strikes my fancy today.

Shenanigans
2010-09-25, 10:58 AM
Hrm... how about a skeleton PC bard... uses it's own bones as instruments.
Love it! I'm guessing Perform(Xylophone) comes into play?

shadow_archmagi
2010-09-25, 11:07 AM
Pixie Factotum/Warblade. Because +8 Dex and +6 Int means murder murder murder.

The backstory for him is that he's the reincarnation of an ork whose new life is punishment from a druid.

Now he's physically weak and small but that doesn't stop him from STOMPIN EVERYONE BUT GOOD!

The Rose Dragon
2010-09-25, 11:08 AM
Breaking away from D&D for a moment...

I think my favorite amusing creations were both from M&M. One of them was a gay boy who had the power to charm and harm any woman, but whose powers refused to work on men (he carried a gun, just in case) called the Ladykiller. The other was Jake "Herb" Herran, whose precognitive powers were fueled by an otherwise ordinary drug called "Herb". He was part of a street-level group who all had nicknames beginning with the same letter as their surnames.

Dimers
2010-09-25, 11:30 AM
The only unique one I can add was based on the oozemaster prestige class in Masters of the Wild. I used a shaper psion as the "spellcasting" class to qualify. Ectoplasm, a big subsection of shaper psi, could be thought of as astral ooze. No character I've created has ever fit less into a traditional party role than that oozemaster -- he was part artillerist, part entry expert, part speed bump (outstanding hit points), part lorekeeper ... all weird.

DaMullet
2010-09-25, 11:38 AM
In the last game I played, we decided to randomly roll for EVERYTHING about our characters, just to see what would happen; I ended up playing a Str 12, Int 8, Cha 17 human Paladin with a celestial Bison mount. Until we were TPKed by a necromancer we were supposed to not fight.

After that, we all rolled up characters inspired by Scooby Doo; I was Fred Jones, the ranger specializing in Craft (Traps), my friend was Norville Rogers, a druid with a Great Dane animal companion, and our third friend was Velma the Diviner. Daphne was absent that session, and Shaggy and Velma both died. Fred became an alcoholic, but stayed with the new party for vengeance through to the present moment.

Marnath
2010-09-25, 12:29 PM

He would get a huge hide bonus in a musical instrument shop though. :smallbiggrin:

Volos
2010-09-25, 12:55 PM
Get ready, because this build is amazing.

Human Werebear Druid/ Barbarian/ Bear Warrior with a ridable Bear Animal Companion.

Now I am a bear who can wild shape into a bear and rage into a bear while riding a bear to cast spells to summon more bears.

Demons_eye
2010-09-25, 01:03 PM
One I found amusing was the Gnome with levels that make you count as Goliath and taking Goliath Sub levels in Barbarian to Grow to large size when raging. You are Hulk. Smash everyone.

Marnath
2010-09-25, 02:33 PM
One I found amusing was the Gnome with levels that make you count as Goliath and taking Goliath Sub levels in Barbarian to Grow to large size when raging. You are Hulk. Smash everyone.

A gnome with powerful build counts as medium. He doesn't change size and he doesn't get large benefits because he's small, so one step up is medium. Raging would make him medium at that point.

Cog
2010-09-25, 02:54 PM
A gnome with powerful build counts as medium. He doesn't change size and he doesn't get large benefits because he's small, so one step up is medium. Raging would make him medium at that point.
That pairing has nothing to do with Powerful Build, and instead relies on the Goliath's Racial Substitution levels for Barbarian. It's legit.

Demons_eye
2010-09-25, 03:09 PM
That pairing has nothing to do with Powerful Build, and instead relies on the Goliath's Racial Substitution levels for Barbarian. It's legit.

Correct sir, have a cookie.

crazedloon
2010-09-25, 03:13 PM
well currently I am playing a wildshape variant ranger who has a monkey companion/familiar who rides him dressed as a knight with the ability to speak who goes by the name of Sir Lancelot :smallbiggrin:

LordShotGun
2010-09-25, 03:46 PM
An awakened Chaotic Evil (houseruled) tree druid that was very homocidal aginst his/her fellow trees. Made extensive use of that one spell that basically makes berries into mini gernades and this spell.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flameBlade.htm

The character also had a beaver Animal Companion (for the hates trees reason)

So basically it was a tree wielding flaming swords, tossing berry gernades, and had a vengence filled life where the character vowed to kill at least one tree each day, even too the point of leaving the beaver behind to gnaw at a grove of trees because the party was going into a dungeon and would be away from most plants for awhile.

SirLagsalot
2010-09-25, 06:19 PM
Warforged Bard/Barbarian (Bardbarian) named Heavy Metal with weapon focus Greataxe

link semi related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgcfPsGPfOU

John Cribati
2010-09-25, 06:23 PM
Gestalt. Half-Orc Goblin Rogue//Monk with 7 ranks in Profession (Prostitute).

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-09-25, 10:58 PM
Warforged Bard. Fluffed as a one-man band. Built-in cuckoo clock, organ, cymbals, clockwork marionette orchestra in the chest compartment...and so on. Maybe loudspeakers built in too, if you don't mind the anachronism. The Walking Jukebox.

No mechanical benefit, although I'd allow him to get his "instruments" enchanted eventually to increase the range of his Music abilities, due to being extremely loud.

They call me Gato
I have metal joints
Beat me up
And earn 15 Silver Points!

Doomboy911
2010-09-26, 12:24 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167278

Enjoy building the Pervirtuoso.

AimlessSage
2010-09-26, 12:37 PM
I deeply enjoyed my cowardly wizard, as well as my psionic dwarf.