PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Warforged darkvision?

Marnath
2010-09-23, 08:01 PM
What it says on the tin. Would you, as a GM, allow a 'forged to get his eyes enchanted to see in darkvision? It would take up the eye slot but you couldn't disarm it because it's part of his body, not an item. Failing that, would it hurt anything to houserule that they just have it due to their type?

Forged Fury
2010-09-23, 08:14 PM
What it says on the tin. Would you, as a GM, allow a 'forged to get his eyes enchanted to see in darkvision? It would take up the eye slot but you couldn't disarm it because it's part of his body, not an item. Failing that, would it hurt anything to houserule that they just have it due to their type?
The warforged could have a Permanency spell cast just like any other character. No reason to make warforged more special than they already are.

As far as a non-disarmable item, I think there is a component item that does this, but it's hideously expensive. I can't recall what book it is in though (Secrets of Xen'Drik maybe).

I wouldn't houserule it since darkvision is specifically listed as something that the Living Construct subtype loses.

Chrono22
2010-09-23, 08:18 PM
I'd go with permanency or goggles, as normal.

Having darkvision permanently cast on a 'forged's eyes would cost 5510 gp.

Marnath
2010-09-23, 08:19 PM
Oh yeah, components! I forgot about those. The rules for those are you have to be in negative hp to have them disarmed right? That would do what I want, maybe? An eye-slot component of darkvision that happens to consist of a pair of eye-gems(that being what a warforged's eyes are made of) should be RAW, right?

Edit @ ^^: Yeah, I know they specifically lose it as part of the subtype. What I guess I'm asking is, does it really unbalance them to cross out that line in the subtype description? I feel it would work better with the fluff of them being on watch at night while their party sleeps.

Forged Fury
2010-09-23, 08:27 PM
Oh yeah, components! I forgot about those. The rules for those are you have to be in negative hp to have them disarmed right? That would do what I want, maybe? An eye-slot component of darkvision that happens to consist of a pair of eye-gems(that being what a warforged's eyes are made of) should be RAW, right?

Found it, Monocle of the Ebon Hunter in Explorer's Handbook. It's an attached component and, again, wildly expensive. Provides darkvision but also a comp bonus to ranged attacks. I think they start around 18K. Easiest way to do it is take the Goggles of Night (12K) and turn them into an embedded component.

Edit: Personally, I find warforged to be sufficiently powerful as it is. Plus, the fluff doesn't say they're necessarily good watchers, only that they're preferred to be given watch duty since they don't need to sleep. In fact, the -2 to Wisdom makes them particularly poor watchers without skill ranks.

Marnath
2010-09-23, 08:38 PM
Found it, Monocle of the Ebon Hunter in Explorer's Handbook. It's an attached component and, again, wildly expensive. Provides darkvision but also a comp bonus to ranged attacks. I think they start around 18K. Easiest way to do it is take the Goggles of Night (12K) and turn them into an embedded component.

Edit: Personally, I find warforged to be sufficiently powerful as it is. Plus, the fluff doesn't say they're necessarily good watchers, only that they're preferred to be given watch duty since they don't need to sleep. In fact, the -2 to Wisdom makes them particularly poor watchers without skill ranks.

Awesome, 12k isn't a bad price, and artificer makes it downright reasonable to afford. Also, you make a good point about them not having to be good at it to be on watch. I supose I'm just biased, since I'm quite the warforged fanboy. :smallsmile:

Forged Fury
2010-09-23, 08:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love warforged (see the name), but I've never had much reason to complain. I find the limited vision helps balance out the benefits. I also tend to purchase a Watch Lamp as soon as possible.

Marnath
2010-09-23, 08:51 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love warforged (see the name), but I've never had much reason to complain. I find the limited vision helps balance out the benefits. I also tend to purchase a Watch Lamp as soon as possible.

A watch lamp? My book-fu is failing me, what is that?

Tetrasodium
2010-09-23, 09:36 PM
There is a pdf with some paragon classes (http://home.arcor.de/geraldim/ebbparagon.pdf) for eberron races where the warforged gain darkvision 60. One of the PrC's in races of stone grants darkvision, probably other ones elsewhere too. The monocle was already mentioned as well, combine it with greater esssence of the guard(?) and the warforged actually has a chance of spotting/hearing things too :).

Marnath
2010-09-23, 09:41 PM
That class looks decent, it's worth looking into I guess. I don't know if it's really appropriate to delay Warforged Juggernaut by 3 levels though, I'd rather have those bonuses sooner rather than later. Can paragon classes be taken anytime, or must it be the first 3 levels?

Zaq
2010-09-24, 01:20 AM
With enough UPD (or with an extraordinarily common houserule, UMD) to emulate a Kalasthar long enough to jam a rock in your skull, a Shadowsight Quori Embedded Shard (ECS 264) can give anyone, Warforged included, darkvision that's basically impossible to take away short of Disjunction. However, it costs 24k, so you'd really be better off just taking Goggles of Night (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#gogglesofNight) and making them an embedded component (ECS 268).

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-24, 01:53 AM
Personally? No. I'd tell them to set something on fire.

Bonus: Setting the Warforged on fire not only makes him more threatening, it grants him protection from ninjas. (http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/4p15)

Forged Fury
2010-09-24, 06:39 AM
A watch lamp? My book-fu is failing me, what is that?

Originally appeared in Sharn: City of Towers. I think it was reprinted in MIC. It's a headband that creates a light spell over your shoulder on command. Frees up your hands from the typical everburning torch.

panaikhan
2010-09-24, 07:05 AM
Doesn't a Juggernaut eventually lose it's 'living construct' subtype?
I'd rule that, as a simple Construct, they'd gain Darkvision anyway.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-24, 07:45 AM

They don't lose it, but they gain almost all of the construct traits aside from darkvision.

Marnath
2010-09-24, 07:46 AM

No, it doesn't. Just gets all the goodies. Well, you do lose healing but not your actual CON score.