PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Do published modules assume you have a party of 5?

Ozreth
2010-09-24, 04:58 AM
I've never run a published 3.5 module but am about to be Running Expedition to Greyhawk in two days and another player just jumped in, bumping it up to 6. I got to wondering, what is this module written for? I assume the typical group is 5 people?

It starts at level 8 and the first encounter has two CR 6 monsters and 8 CR 4.

Whatcha think?

Aotrs Commander
2010-09-24, 05:03 AM
It depends, actually. Shackled City was designed for six players, but most other modules I've seen are designed for four. (Which means either buffing the amount of monsters and treasure by 50% (and trying to do something with the solo encounters!) or letting the PCs advance more slowly.

Most modules tell you what level and the party size is. 3.x assumes four by default, though, so if it doesn't say, you can assume four.

I have always held six to be a good number for a party (and possibly more), leading me to do a lot of option A for things like Rise of the Runelords.

Emperor Tippy
2010-09-24, 05:05 AM
They are written for the standard party; 4 characters made up of a skill monkey, healer, blaster, and tank.

At least most of the earlier ones were. Towards the end of 3.5 they started being written more on the assumption that the casters were actually competently built and that the tank was making use of ToB (or other splat books that improved it's combat power).

Nothing in D&D is really balanced on the assumption of 5 people parties.

Psyx
2010-09-24, 06:28 AM
Having just played this scenario, with a group of 6, and a massive bodycount; it's safe to say that I don't think you'll need to upstat anything.

Ozreth
2010-09-24, 01:57 PM
Having just played this scenario, with a group of 6, and a massive bodycount; it's safe to say that I don't think you'll need to upstat anything.

Haha awesome, thanks : ) was it fun?

And thanks for all of the other responses guys : )