PDA

View Full Version : (4E) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

DragonBaneDM
2010-09-24, 02:20 PM
So we were covering Renaissance Art in my Early Modern Europe class. I started to daydream, and this is the result.

It would be really easy to just make them all monks with a multiclass or a hybrid here or there, but instead I wanted to make each one of them a different class. I made sure to at least multiclass them all monk, though. They also aren't the most optimized turtles this side of New York, instead I allocated their ability scores and powers to better suit each Turtle's personality.

Oh, and of course race was an issue, and the closest thing to a Turtle-Man in DND is well...the Bullywug. And I just couldn't do that to a show I loved this much, so I came up with a homebrew race for them, although I'm sure a loosely fluffed human would do just fine. (The race gets +2 Str and Dex, and is in these turtles' stats). I'll post that in Homebrew later, and link it here!

I also wanted to build them so that the four of them could work as a party, with Leo and Donny covering healing, and the amount of damage a 3/4s striker party can deal out, I think this just might work! I think I've managed to get Acrobatics, Athletics, Stealth, and Perception on everyone but Raphael, who has Intimidate, Athletics, Endurance, and Stealth.

So, here's what the TMNTs look like at Level 5, let me know what you think, Playground!

Leonardo(Hybrid Ranger/Monk/Multiclass Warlord):

Str 17
Con 11
Dex 18
Int 10
Wis 14
Cha 10

Class Features: Hybrid Hunter's Quarry, Hybrid Monastic Tradition(Stone Fist), Fighting Style(Two-Blade)

At-Wills: Twin Strike, Crane's Wings
Encounters: Dire Wolverine Strike, Dance of Swords
Dailies: Jaws of the Wolf, Steel Warrior Technique
Utilities: Harmonious Discipline, Inspiring Word(Daily)

Feats: Hybrid Talent(Fighting Style), Student of Battle, Versatile Expertise(Longsword and Ki Focus)

Raphael(Fighter/Multiclass Monk):

Str 20
Con 11
Dex 16
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 8

Class Features: Tempest Technique, Combat Challenge, Combat Superiority

At Wills: Dual Strike, Threatening Rush
Encounter Powers: Surprising Stab, Rain of Blows
Daily Powers: Rain of Steel, Bedeviling Assault
Utilities: Mighty Leap

Feats: Monastic Disciple, Weapon Expertise and Focus (Short Swords)

Michelangelo(Rogue/Multiclass Monk):

Str 15
Con 10
Dex 20
Int 8
Wis 10
Cha 15

Class Features: First Strike, Rogue Tactics(Ruthless Ruffian), Rogue Weapon Talent, Sneak Attack

At-Will: Disheartening Strike, Sly Flourish
Encounter: Termanation Threat(Violent, eh?), and Defender's Cohort
Daily: Trick Strike ,Mocking Strike
Utility: Switcheroo

Feats: Monastic Disciple, Weapon Expertise and Focus(Clubs, I figured a reasonable DM would let you reflavor them as Mikey's nunchuks!)

Donatello(Monk/Multiclass Artificer)

Str 14
Con 8
Dex 18
Int 14
Wis 14
Cha 11

Class Features: Monastic Traditon(Centered Breath), Unarmed Combatant, Unarmored Defense

At-Will: Five Storms, Dancing Cobra
Encounters: Open the Gate of Battle, Eternal Mountain
Dailies: Masterful Spiral, One Hundred Leaves
Utility: Harmonious Discipline, Healing Infusion(Daily)

Feats: Student of Artifice, Implement Expertise (Ki Focus), Pointed Step Style(I'm sure your DM will let you downgrade from spear to quarterstaff)

I also had an idea for Venus as a Orbizard/Multiclass Monk, but I figured I'd present the four brothers first.

So, how'd I do? :smallsmile:

grarrrg
2010-09-24, 02:35 PM
I also had an idea for Venus as a Obizard/ Splinter as a Multiclass Monk/XXX, but I figured I'd present the four brothers first.

Fixed that for you.

No seriously, you DO NOT WANT what you originally posted there.

Jaidu
2010-09-24, 02:36 PM
Hmm, some thoughts...

Leonardo: Tactical Warlord, multiclass Ranger to dual wield longswords, trained in diplomacy.. not sure what else.

Michelangelo: Brawler Fighter, wields a flail (refluffed), not sure after that.

Donatello: Centered Breath Monk, wields a staff. Multiclassed into Artificer.

Raphael: Artful Dodger Rogue, dual wields daggers (refluffed), trained in sarcasm. (It's a class skill for rogues.)

That's all I've got.

Edit: Totally didn't see all the spoilered parts... chalk it up to lack of sleep. I'll reread your post.

DragonBaneDM
2010-09-24, 02:42 PM
The reason I went Raph fighter and Mikey Rogue was that it seemed to fit better.

Raph has always been the "tough guy" and is ridiculously protective of Mikey in some episodes. Also I could never really give Raph high Cha. Besides intimidation, he acts like a 3.5 Dwarf in social situations.

And I see Mikey working out as a Rattling Rogue. Artful's cool, but dodging everything isn't so much his style as is insulting everyone as he hits them. Heck, maybe bard would work better, except I'm trying to avoid anything obviously "magical".

And yeahhhh. But Venus is part of the group. Wait, Artificers can use orbs, right, as do Psions? I have to catch up on exactly what her orbs did, but after that maybe I could find a build that works for her!

Jaidu
2010-09-24, 02:47 PM
My thinking in making Raphael Artful was less about his combat style and more about boosting Charisma as a secondary stat to match his wisecracking capabilities. I agree regarding his fighting.

grarrrg
2010-09-24, 02:49 PM
But Venus is part of the group.

No.
No she is not.

TMNT@TvTropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TeenageMutantNinjaTurtles) "Many fans were antagonistic to the series, as is notable due to the lack of its own TV Tropes page, and Peter Laird was even more antagonistic to Venus, although nobody knows why because she doesn't exist and never did." (emphasis mine)

TMNT@TvTropes Part II (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CanonDiscontinuity) "The producers even reassured fans that Venus de Milo, outside of history books of the series, would never, ever, ever be mentioned again." (emphasis mine)

Again, please desist in your delusions. Nobody knows who or what you are talking about when you say this "venus" thing.
Unless you mean Splinter :smallwink: who everybody knows and loves and has and ALWAYS WILL BE considered the fifth Turtle.

DragonBaneDM
2010-09-24, 02:50 PM
Hm... Okay then,he is the secondary comic relief to Mikey, so I see your point. Why make Mikey the Defender in that case?

Jaidu
2010-09-24, 02:59 PM
I think I was just trying to fill all the class roles.

In combat terms, I think you're correct that Michelangelo makes more sense as a rogue and Raph as a fighter.

Thajocoth
2010-09-24, 05:32 PM
I have never heard of this "Venus"...

Splinter's a Monk. No doubt about that.

Raphael certainly focuses anger. He gets angry easily and often. I'd make him a Whirling Barbarian... I don't see an equivalent to his weapon in any of the books.

Leonardo is the head of the group. He's more responsible for the rest of the party's well being, so I'd say he's a Fighter. He's dual-wielding Longswords, so I'd say Tempest Fighter, with Multiclass Ranger for that one feat.

Donatello's a straight-up Artificer. Very smart. Makes things. Wields a staff.

Michelangelo's a Two-Blade Ranger wielding a pair of flail weapons what are not yet detailed anywhere.

They are all flavored as a martial arts group, but don't need their classes to be.

The race Mutated Turtle gives +2 Con, +2 Str or Dex; +2 Streetwise, +2 Stealth and Shell Armor proficiency.

Mutated Rodent gives +2 Dex, +2 Dex; +2 History, +2 Stealth

Dracons
2010-09-24, 06:17 PM
Ol Mikey needs to be stronger and better. Despite being the joker, in all the comics and toons in every form, it's been proven and (admited by many a turtle) that Mikey is the best fighter of the group. However he only really goes all out very rarely usually only when he is really pissed off or all his family is in danger.

Zaydos
2010-09-24, 06:29 PM
In both the 2003 and the 1980s cartoons Leo was the best fighter and while Raphael could sometimes beat up on Leo that only lasted till Leo decided to actually fight back. Also in the very first issue the Shredder beats each of the other turtles easily and then Leo kicks his backside and kills him.

KillianHawkeye
2010-09-24, 07:01 PM
In both the 2003 and the 1980s cartoons Leo was the best fighter and while Raphael could sometimes beat up on Leo that only lasted till Leo decided to actually fight back. Also in the very first issue the Shredder beats each of the other turtles easily and then Leo kicks his backside and kills him.

But in the TMNT cgi movie from a couple years ago, Raph completely beats Leo and even breaks his swords.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-24, 07:24 PM
Gah, how many shows have there been? I remember the late 80s cartoon, I know everything was based off of a comic book. And mid90s there was a liveaction show, though I'd grown out of my ninja phase by then.
Then there's the 3 movies (gah, turtles in time was SO terrible). Still haven't seen TMNT though

I'd say that Leo was the best of the group just based off of the first movie, he was the only one who got a hit on Shredder.
Could almost say Michelangelo was a bard with Vicious MOckery, because his wisecracks actually seemed to have an effect midfight.
Raphaels temper I'd say should make him some variety of barbarian, or at least multiclassed to one.

Way too large of a picture for the forum...
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs34/f/2008/298/a/b/Ninja_Turtles_by_rkw0021.jpg

Mario, that wasn't, they weren't....
http://www.thefunnyblog.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/mario-Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-funny-blog.jpg
There's a picture of April in the nuthouse too, but couldn't find it

grarrrg
2010-09-24, 09:05 PM
Also in the very first issue the Shredder beats each of the other turtles easily and then Leo kicks his backside and kills him.

Just so everyone knows, The Shredder, the greatest Turtles villain ever known, was a throwaway loser of the week in the first Turtles comic ever.

But in the TMNT cgi movie from a couple years ago, Raph completely beats Leo and even breaks his swords.

If I remember correctly, Raph mainly 'wins' for two reasons: 1, he was on a serious "abandonment rage", and Leo half gave-up after he found out who he was fighting.
Raph was also the only one out of him Mike and Don to keep 'in-shape' while Leo was gone.

Gah, how many shows have there been?

There was (and still is?) the original (dark and scary, not for children) Mirage comic, which spawned a lighter themed 80's cartoon show (went through a couple 'revisions'), which in turn spawned an Archie Comic. The 4 movies were based half-n-half on the cartoon and the original comic. Then there was/is the 2000's cartoon, which was based closer to the original comic series then the first cartoon, which in turn spawned a massive multiversal crossover TV Movie that included the 00's Turtles, the 80's Turtles and the Mirage-original Turtles.
So, not counting seasonal revisions, there have been 2 television shows.

And mid90s there was a liveaction show

No. No there wasn't.

I'd say that Leo was the best of the group just based off of the first movie, he was the only one who got a hit on Shredder...

Now to the meat of the question. (I'm more familiar with 3.5 than 4, so bear with me)
All Turtles have good-to-great Str and Dex, above-avg Con
Leo is the most devoted to the whole ninja thing, and thus the best (technique) fighter overall. He is also the Team Leader (Splinter being the 'main' leader).
Statwise: Higher Wis>Cha>Avg. Int
Raphael is probably the second best fighter, he 'could' be the best, but he's prone to making rash decisions (RAGE!). If Leonardo is the "Fighter" Raph would be the "Barbarian".
Statwise: all mentals avg. or above-avg
Don is definately the skill-monkey of the group, the cartoons make him out to be the worst figher. The movies say he's just as good a fighter as everyone else and make him the second biggest joker next to Mike.
Statwise: High Int>Wis>Avg. Cha
Mike, when serious, is a good fighter, but still goofs around too much. Probably the fastest fighter, more by virtue of Leo/Raph being more in-your-face types.
Statwise: High Cha>Avg. Int/Wis

Splinter has THE best technique, but too many old age penalties to fight regularly. He could beat Leo or Raph 1-on-1, but he'd be hurting afterwards.
Statwise: avg. Str, above-avg. Dex, avg./below-avg. Con, avg. Int. High Wis. good-to-high Cha.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-24, 09:34 PM
No. No there wasn't.

No there wasn't a TV show which included a female turtle? Or no it wasn't in the mid 90s?
I know she 'existed,' they showed her suicide by toilet flushing in an episode of Robot Chicken.

Zaydos
2010-09-24, 09:47 PM
No there wasn't a TV show which included a female turtle? Or no it wasn't in the mid 90s?
I know she 'existed,' they showed her suicide by toilet flushing in an episode of Robot Chicken.

She did not exist. Actually I never saw that show and therefore just think the idea was bad as opposed to special hatred for the character (I was making up my own 5th turtle at the time I found out about the show, somehow finding out about how they did it made me not want to anymore), but apparently the creators of the original comics hated the idea and disowned her from the franchise. In Turtles Forever that was apparently the only incarnation of the turtles they didn't show such is their enmity.

Mando Knight
2010-09-24, 10:13 PM
And I see Mikey working out as a Rattling Rogue. Artful's cool, but dodging everything isn't so much his style as is insulting everyone as he hits them. Heck, maybe bard would work better, except I'm trying to avoid anything obviously "magical".
Ruthless Ruffian is worthless. Instead, take Brutal Scoundrel and some Rattling powers... hey, look! You do almost the exact same thing as Ruffians, but with better weapons!

Lhurgyof
2010-09-24, 10:24 PM
3.5 would probably work better, they even have a turtleman race, two of them.

DragonBaneDM
2010-09-24, 10:47 PM
I'm liking the idea of Raph being a Barbarian more and more everytime it's discussed.

And for the very logical and mature fact that blue was my favorite color when I was seven, I'm going to throw my hat in with the "Leo is the best fighter" school of thought. Though I do recall Mikey Hulking out once or twice, and I love that fight in the CGI movie, Leo still has the most regular moments to shine.

Out of respect for Mikey's prowess when he does pull out the stops, I think taking Mando's advice for his build would be optimal, though I'd favor Artful Dodger over Brutal Scoundrel. Only thing that hurts him is that now I have to take the Street Thug feat to do any Sneak Attack damage and rogue powers with him since there's no way to count nunchuka as a light blade.

I dislike making Donny full artificer. He doesn't use gadgets all the time, and though I do recall him using magic from time to time when the Turtles got their hands on an artifact, his fighting style does not include making robots, magical markings on his weapons, nor enchanting weapons during combat. Those were once a month gimmicks you'd see from him, not how he normally fought.

Zaydos
2010-09-24, 11:00 PM
So Donnie has training in Arcana and the Ritual Caster feat?

Mando Knight
2010-09-24, 11:02 PM
Out of respect for Mikey's prowess when he does pull out the stops, I think taking Mando's advice for his build would be optimal, though I'd favor Artful Dodger over Brutal Scoundrel. Only thing that hurts him is that now I have to take the Street Thug feat to do any Sneak Attack damage and rogue powers with him since there's no way to count nunchuka as a light blade.

Oh, right. Mikey. *facepalms at self*

No, do it as a Monk, since Street Thug is a feat that weakly tries to replicate a weak class feature. You'll be a lot more satisfied with a Monk.

DragonBaneDM
2010-09-24, 11:05 PM
Hm... Maybe Mando, maybe. But then what would you recommend I do with Donny?

Got myself backed up into a nice neat little corner here, haha.

EDIT:

And no, Donny doesn't have Ritual Casting since he only multiclassed Artificer. He does have Arcana training out of it, which I figure can be illustrated by the number of books he's dug up on various mystical enemies and doomsday plots.

Mando Knight
2010-09-24, 11:20 PM
Donny would have the Staff Fighting feat, which requires Wis 13. He can stay a Monk, as there's no reason why two of the brothers can't be the same class, especially if they use entirely different builds.

DragonBaneDM
2010-09-24, 11:23 PM
Hm... Very cool.

Okay, how's this for Mikey's new build? Stone Fist Monk with a Multiclass into Bard for an extra heal in the party?

That way his Cha is still high enough for him to be...well Mikey! :smallsmile:

KillianHawkeye
2010-09-25, 06:31 AM
If I remember correctly, Raph mainly 'wins' for two reasons: 1, he was on a serious "abandonment rage", and Leo half gave-up after he found out who he was fighting.
Raph was also the only one out of him Mike and Don to keep 'in-shape' while Leo was gone.

I'll give you that Raph was the only one who was still in his prime, since he was the only one who still fought crime on a regular basis. However, I disagree that Leo fought half-heartedly. He actually seemed even more focused when Raph revealed himself, what with the whole "I'm better than you" thing. I guess if Leo hadn't been chilling out in the jungle for all that time, he probably would have won like he usually does.

joe
2010-09-25, 06:49 AM
I actually have in possession the TMNT and Other Strangeness book, from Palladium. That being said, I'm not too familiar with 4e (I'm one of those 3.5 guys)

By what I gathered out of the book Leonardo is the best fighter, where Raph is prone to rage, and thus while not the best, is by far the deadliest.

Interestingly enough, Michaelangelo has some amazing stats, and is described as the most talented. His dexterity equivalent is ridiculously high.

I agree with Donatello being an artificer, and Raphael being a barbarian. Again, I'm not too sure on 4e so Leonardo and Michaelangelo are up in the air for me.

Venus does not exist. The very mention of Venus puts Peter Laird into a rage.

grarrrg
2010-09-25, 09:19 AM
does not exist. The very mention of puts Peter Laird into a.

Fixed that for you.

Interestingly enough, Michaelangelo has some amazing stats, and is described as the most talented. His dexterity equivalent is ridiculously high.

Let's extrapolate their physical stats from their weapon choice.
Mike is the only one to dual-wield a weapon that is normally NEVER dual wielded. Even with just one nunchuck it takes some time and training to be able to NOT hurt yourself regularly. I'd rank his Dex in the neighborhood of "crazy-awesome", and his Str as Avg.

Leo dual wields katana Ninjato, while dual blades is not unheard of, it is rare to dual with two full swords. He'd need good Str. and good Dex.

Don is the only one to wield just one weapon. He has much less need for Dex for control, good Str. avg. or above-avg. Dex.

Raph dual wields a weapon with poor reach, so he would have to be more of a close-in fighter, good to great Dex. He's also famous for Raph-Rage, so he should have good Str. as well.

Best to worst Str. Raph>Leo>Don>Mike
Best to worst Dex. Mike>Raph>Leo>Don
This looks about right (feel free to adjust), as Don is probably the worst fighter (remember though, that's like saying Batman is the worst member of the Justice League). Raph can be the best straight up fighter, while Leo has more 'leadership' bonuses and such (in 3.5 I'd probably gestalt him with Marshal). And Mike isn't the best damage dealer, but still quite useful in a fight.

LibraryOgre
2010-09-25, 10:22 AM
Based on what I remember of the TMNT & OS description of the Turtles...

Leo as a TacLord, with a ranger multiclass to allow the dual-wielding.
Raph works VERY WELL as a whirling barbarian.
Mikey I'd probably do as an Urban-type ranger.
And I like Don as monk, maybe multiclassed Artificer.

If I was going with the 80s cartoon

Leo as a Ranger, multiclassed Warlord
Raph as a Bard (lots of movement and debuffs, plus insult-based attacks).
Mikey as a Rogue with TWF.
Don as an Artificer.

DragonBaneDM
2010-09-25, 11:51 AM
See, as much as I'd love to make Donny a full-on Artificer, it wouldn't work fluff-wise, at least in 4E.

Imagine Donny using Static Shock or Prismatic Strike every fight. Dealing different damage types, etc. The mundane monk powers that involve close burts seem to work really well.

Leo would kind of work as a full-on Taclord, but I remember him swinging those swords like crazy, and the monk part of him loved kicking, which is why I went with Crane's Wings for the monk at-will.

Maybe Hybrid Ranger and Warlord and Multiclass Monk?

Mando Knight
2010-09-25, 02:54 PM
Don is the only one to wield just one weapon. He has much less need for Dex for control, good Str. avg. or above-avg. Dex.

I think you misunderstand the quarterstaff... it takes a good deal of both strength and agility to wield it effectively as a weapon.

tcrudisi
2010-09-25, 03:07 PM
Leonardo(Hybrid Ranger/Monk/Multiclass Warlord)

Raphael(Fighter/Multiclass Monk)

Michelangelo(Rogue/Multiclass Monk)

Donatello(Monk/Multiclass Artificer)

Well, I'm not sure why you went with Monk. Is it because of the karate? 4e is all about reflavoring and Monk is just completely unnecessary. For instance, you can use Acrobatics and Athletics to make attack rolls if you like (p. 42 of the DMG) and you can just refluff those attack rolls to be their karate.

Instead, I would focus more on their other attributes.

Leonardo is certainly a leader, but I struggle with him a bit. Perhaps Warlord would work, since they have some good attacks while making the group as a whole better.

Donatello has to be an Artificer.

Michaelangelo - I would make him a Bard. Who cares that his attacks are "magical"? Give him the melee attacks and refluff it into being what Michaelangelo really is in the cartoon and comics: a bard.

Rafael has two choices: either an Intimidating Rogue (can't think of what they are called) or a Rattling-focused Fighter. Since none of the TMNT really ever "marked", I would probably go with the Rogue.

Yes, that's 3 "leader" classes, but I'm not concerned. Artificers aren't very good healers beyond throwing healing surges around and Bards? Well, it seems almost in-character for Mikey to care enough about the others to heal them in a pinch.

Draz74
2010-09-25, 03:45 PM
Michaelangelo - I would make him a Bard. Who cares that his attacks are "magical"? Give him the melee attacks and refluff it into being what Michaelangelo really is in the cartoon and comics: a bard.

QFT; I don't understand why Mikey as Bard was dismissed earlier. It's really, really easy to fluff the 4e Bard as a nonmagical combat-bantering type. Easier than Artificer IMO.

If you don't need Mikey to be a very good Leader character (e.g. because Leo is doing that role), you could also go hybrid Bard | Rogue.

grarrrg
2010-09-25, 05:36 PM
I think you misunderstand the quarterstaff... it takes a good deal of both strength and agility to wield it effectively as a weapon.

Compared to "double-nunchuck-boy" over there? He can have the worst dex (remember, "worst" when comparing Turtles is still probably a 12 or better).
And, acutally, Don is the only one to wield his weapon realistically. All the others suffer from one problem or another, so increased physicals on them would actually level the playing field a bit.
Dual-nunchucks is right out,
Two full-size swords is impractical,
Double sai are doubtful due to their being a 'defensive' weapon.
If Leo and Raph gave one of their weapons to the other, then they'd both be better armed than they were before.

Also, if you compare that post with the one I did with the Mental stats, all the Turtles come out fairly even. (note: I use "high" and "avg", NOT "low")
Raph has high physicals, but avg mentals.
Don has avg physicals, but high mentals.
Leo and Mike have good physicals and mentals, but with different strengths/weaknesses (Leo +Str/+Wis, Mike +Dex/+Cha)