PDA

View Full Version : Half-Hellbred? 3.5

gallagher
2010-09-24, 04:03 PM
what would a half-hellbred be like to play? one of my players is asking if he can be a sort of half-hellbred half-something else for extra flavor

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-09-24, 07:03 PM
You can't really be a half-hellbred because being a hellbred is contingent upon your soul being sent back from the Lower Planes, and that's not something you can inherit. Granted, there are half-undead templates that imply you can inherit undeath, but that's just as silly.

Instead, I'd just treat hellbred like a template and layer it on top of another race to create a "hybrid" hellbred. Since the flavor is of an existing race that gets sent back, it should really be a template already.

LOTRfan
2010-09-24, 07:10 PM
I was under the impression that Hellbreds didn't come back in their original form. I have been proven wrong several times before, though, so let me see if I can find anything about that...

Edit: Yeah, according to the fluff on page 77, they are reincarnated. They are no longer the race they were before.

Notreallyhere77
2010-09-24, 07:26 PM
And I was under the impression that they lack the capability to breed with their new bodies. I'm reading the book right now, and I see nothing indicating whether they can or can't.

LOTRfan
2010-09-24, 07:30 PM
Unaware. I assume that's up to the DM. I personally wouldn't allow it though. Why risk passing on the curse to offspring?

gallagher
2010-09-24, 08:06 PM
Unaware. I assume that's up to the DM. I personally wouldn't allow it though. Why risk passing on the curse to offspring?

well assuming that i am the DM (Safe assumption) what would you say to a person who is a halfling now, and wants a hellbred "template" of sorts as part of the character. i was thinking that we just skip the vile feats, and give the +2 con or cha every few levels, or the other way around

Vemynal
2010-09-24, 09:16 PM
If he's just tryign to stack bonuses then tell him no

If he just wants the cool concept then let him take the hellbred race as it naturally is...but roll play that he is infact a hellbred halfling

Zaq
2010-09-25, 02:03 PM
what would a half-hellbred be like to play? one of my players is asking if he can be a sort of half-hellbred half-something else for extra flavor

So let him flavor it. You don't need stats for flavor. Just use the hellbred stats and talk about how you're also half-dwarf or whatever.