PDA

View Full Version : "Charles Finnily's Worst Day Ever." [IC]

Obscurejones
2010-09-24, 05:24 PM
It's a beautiful day as Charles Finnily wakes up. The sun is high in the sky, dispelling any late December cold. His arm is feeling better than it has an a while, feels like the demon might have given him the day off. And today's docket is an easy load of clients. Just a little simple maintenance on the wards for some regulars. His to do list is pinned on the fridge.

Alxa
Lorilei
Matthias...
And a few others.

shorewood
2010-09-24, 06:22 PM
Quickly getting out of bed Charles downs a couple of pills takes a brisk shower, and swallows a hearty breakfast. After getting his morning supplies together and making some preliminary preparations Charles heads out, making a slight detour to the heart of Lizard's territory nodding to his contact and a quick exchange of cash Charles has a brand new bottle of vicodin. He then goes directly to his first appointment and arrives at Alxa's house late morning.

issom
2010-09-24, 10:36 PM
Alxa wakes early, at around 0530, makes a quick check of his few things. his small studio apartment is clean and orderly, his trip wires are all still intact and his weapons are all clean and well oiled. he takes a quick shower, cold, to wake up fully. after that he gets his laptop and waits, that one armed voodoo man is coming and he wants to make sure every thing is ready. its nearing noon and alxa starts to think about what he will make for lunch when his doorbell rings, he quickly shuts off his computer and starts disarming his tripwire at the door. he opens it a crack to find mister finnily at his threshold.
"your late..."

shorewood
2010-09-24, 10:51 PM
"I'm on time" Charles responds, shifting his side bag filled with the necessary supplies and reference materials. "Your definition of morning is simply horrific. May I come in?"

issom
2010-09-24, 11:17 PM
"well, i guess you need to, to do that stuff you do, just becareful around the wires ok..." alxa opens the door for Mr Finnily, and starts going to his kitchen.

shorewood
2010-09-25, 08:45 AM
Taking this as a formal invitation Charles walks past the threshold and into the house. Politely taking off his shoes, he then makes his way into the kitchen where he takes out several rounded tubes of copper, that fit together to form a perfect circle. Then follows some candles, matches and other misc equipment. He arranges all of these on the table in a very specific order. Turning toward Alxa he asks "Are there any changes you would like to make to your wards at this time?"

issom
2010-09-25, 09:52 AM
"no, just keep it simple, as long as it keeps them out, its fine." alxa starts making a cold cut sandwitch. once he finishes his, he takes and bite and then with his mouth full..."you want one?"

shorewood
2010-09-25, 10:20 AM
"Perhaps when I'm done here, and you probably should make sure all of your electronics are turned off." Charles replies. Facing his circle Charles begins to chant softly under his breath. After a half hour (Charles is in no hurry) the chanting reaches its climax and with a flourish of his hand he stops. And for a brief moment it seems that Alxa can see out of the corner of his eye an invisible curtain covering the floors, ceiling and walls snapping into place. Smiling to himself with a job well done Charles gladly accepts the sandwich from Alxa. "That went well" he said between bites "That will be my standard fee, and same time next week?"

issom
2010-09-25, 10:36 AM
"yea..." alxa rummages through a drawr and pulls out an envelope, handing it to Charles, "hey, you hear anything about those strange killings near the old tunnels?" he gives charles a sly look, "i know your not very big on this kind of stuff, but i could use your help," he smiles then " lets go hunting..."

shorewood
2010-09-25, 10:51 AM
"You mean the ones under Federal Hill Park? Aren't those infested with gouls?" Charles asks inquisitively.

Obscurejones
2010-09-25, 11:04 AM
Actually, Shorewood I'd appreciate two rolls. Each to control the power going into the ward. So, that's discipline.

Also, as Charles enters the house he faces an immediate compel on his high concept, Pill Popping Sorcerer.

Last but not least, what's the most advanced type of weaponry Alxa has in the house?

shorewood
2010-09-25, 11:37 AM
Discipline roles to control the ward. Charles is taking his time so he splits it into two rounds one for each complexity, he cannot fail [roll0] and [roll1] he needs to achieve one shift of success.

Alertness to see all of Alxa's toys [roll2]

And I take the fate point.

Obscurejones
2010-09-25, 11:48 AM
Three fate points. :smallbiggrin: See? Not such a bad guy.

issom
2010-09-25, 12:05 PM
alxa has trip wires attaced the rail guns, they are perrty much just barrels with 1 round in them, if the wires are triped the shot goes off, they are aimed at the middle of the trip wire, other then that his weapons are in a case under his bed, he has two pistols and a long rifle, fully automatic (think M4 with tac lights and an optic). Alxa smiles at charles, "i dont care what they are, they killed a homeless vet the other day." he sits on one of his kitchen chairs and motions for charles to take the other... "they are killing people, and im going to stop them."

issom
2010-09-25, 12:07 PM
the wires are at the door, and the two windows in alxa's appartment...(do i get a fate point, or just charles?, i self compleded with "lets go hunting")

shorewood
2010-09-25, 12:34 PM
"You want to blindly attack Gilgamesh the self proclaimed God-King who is a free holding lord of the unseelie accords and his scourge on their own turf? Have fun committing suicide" shaking his head Charles adds as all most an afterthought "You'd need a small army just to stand a chance."

issom
2010-09-25, 01:04 PM
"thats where you come in..." alxa leans back, " look im all for leavin you creepy crawlies alone, but these things are killing people, people that i swore to protect, and well, if you wont do it, maybe you can ask around your group, i need one of your kind to help out, bullets are good, but i would like to know a little more and maybe have a friend to back me up."

Obscurejones
2010-09-25, 02:36 PM
I'm pretty sure if you self compel you owe me a fate point. :smallconfused: But I'm in a giving mood. Have the fate point.
------------
As they're talking Alxa's laptop begins to whirr, sputters, and dies.

issom
2010-09-25, 02:41 PM
ahh sir, read up "lunch when his doorbell rings, he quickly shuts off his computer and starts disarming his tripwire at the door."- myself...

shorewood
2010-09-25, 02:47 PM
Sighing Charles rubs the bridge of his nose "Look, its not like He shouldn't be knocked off. I want him dead as much as the next guy, so I'll help you. But when i said a small army was needed i truly meant it. You can't go in there guns ablaze and expect to knock off more than a grunt or two before being eaten alive." Turning toward the table he starts to pack up his warding supplies "If you want to take on those ghouls and succeed you need to come at them sideways. I don't know if you know this but Gilgamesh is currently in a little war with Summer. So we stir up some dust in their territory knock off a couple of them who venture out solo that sort of thing In order to get into contact with Summer. After a little more biting at the ghoul's flank we try to coordinate a two pronged attack. Summer with its small army will distract the majority of the ghoul's away from their stronghold then both of us and whomever else we can find sneak in and kill assassinate Gilgamesh. Without their leader the ghouls will be thrown into disarray and crippled."

Obscurejones
2010-09-25, 02:47 PM
God dang, I am off my DMing game today. On the plus side it looks like you kids have started to make your own plot. Never mind the bit about the laptop then.

issom
2010-09-25, 02:52 PM
alxa is now leaning forword, quite intrested in this "alright, thats what im talkin about..." his smile is more friendly then polite " tell you what, ill see about getting some info on the area, you see if you can round up some more of that hocus pokus, and maybe we can pull this off"

shorewood
2010-09-25, 02:58 PM
"I'll see what i can do." Shaking Alxa's hand, Charles leaves his house in deep thought. Stashing his bag in the back seat of his car, he drives toward his next appointment Lorilei Rook.

shorewood
2010-09-25, 03:07 PM
If nothing bad happens I make it to Lorilei's house in short order. Grabbing my bag from the back I walk up to her front door and knock.

And just in case i need one here is an alertness role [roll0]

Obscurejones
2010-09-25, 03:10 PM
You notice that your arm feels fine. There's no phantom pain.

Dante Falcon
2010-09-25, 04:57 PM
Matthias woke up around 8 am, making sure to get dressed in one of his few not pink tie-dye pieces of clothing, stretching out and walking his house briefly, making sure the sword was still leaning next to the door. After his brief walkabout he fixed himself something to eat and started pacing restlessly. He hated waiting. Especially when he was waiting for someone to show up, and then sit around for half an hour before taking his money and leaving.

Ah well. It would probably be another mostly uneventful day.

Obscurejones
2010-09-25, 06:32 PM
As Mathias paces he'll feel a slight twinge in his mark. A rustle of leaves and a faint tinkling of bells can be heard as a golden envelope drops into his apartment.

Jazzy Spazzy
2010-09-25, 11:37 PM
Lorelei woke up around 7 that morning to a nice cup of coffee and cherry scone. After tidying up her flat on the artsier side of baltimor for the visitor coming later this day. Just because the man coming over was a crazy one armed pill popper recluse doesn't mean that there isn't a need for a good impression. As she awaits the addict, she makes her self a simple luck potion and puts on a couple of beatle CD's.

Obscurejones
2010-09-26, 12:10 AM
Want to spend a fate point and invoke an aspect to bump up the juice on that potion? Also, if you could specify what your "Luck Potion" does your GM would be less inclined to make John accidentally hex your CD player.

Edit the second: Just for future reference, "she completed a luck potion." Because the book says it takes weeks to make one... And I'm assuming she's not trying to do it on the fly then... Yep.

Also, Jaz could you post in the OOC thread your focus item breakdown? Pretty please?

shorewood
2010-09-26, 03:25 PM
I knock on Loralie's door

Jazzy Spazzy
2010-09-26, 05:45 PM
Lorelei opens the door, "Hello mr. Finnely how has your day been?"

(whats the OOC thread called?)

issom
2010-09-26, 06:50 PM
a while after charles leaves, checking out his windows to make sure he is indeed a safe distance away, alxa turns on his computer and starts doing some resurch as to the topografic lay out and wildlife in the federal hill park (scholorship, great skill, 4d3-4 ), as he is doing this he searches for some body armor, something he is going to need in the near future( resurces fair skill 4d3-6 )...

issom
2010-09-26, 07:06 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Obscurejones
2010-09-26, 09:59 PM
"Charles Finnily's Worst Day Ever." [OOC] (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169564)
------------
Well, Alxa definitely doesn't find the body armor.

Dante Falcon
2010-09-26, 11:25 PM
Matthias rotated his left arm at the twinge and almost grimaced at the letter. "Here I was hoping for a mostly uneventful day too. I'll bet you planned that..."
Even so he walked over to the golden letter, reading it slowly.

Obscurejones
2010-09-27, 02:14 PM
The ink appears to be some sort of glimmering silver liquid. When opened the envelope releases a burst of flowery scents and the room seems brighter for a few seconds.

Your presence is formerly requested at a ball being thrown by Titania, Queen of the Summer Court. We are celebrating our monarchs diplomatic triumph in brooking a truce with the freehold of Gilgamesh
At the bottom edge of the paper there is a smaller hand scribbled note in Puck's distinctive spidery handwriting.

Oberon wants to make a showing of our new court. He said to bring as many vassals as you can scrounge up.

shorewood
2010-09-28, 01:24 PM
"Just coming to renew your wards miss" Said Charles politely his arm putting him in a good mood. "May I come in?"

Jazzy Spazzy
2010-09-28, 07:45 PM
Ofcourse, may i interest you in something to eat, or maybe a little cofee, tea, or some vitamin water, if you would prefer.

shorewood
2010-09-28, 09:41 PM
"That is mighty generous of you" thanked Charles as he walked into the house(apartment, flat, trailer???) Making his way into the kitchen he began setting up the necessary preparations for renewing her ward. "After I am done here I have a proposition for you If you don't mind hearing me out."

Having constructed the circle Charles begins softly chanting taking plenty of time. [roll0] [roll1] are his checks to renew the ward.

Obscurejones
2010-09-29, 04:52 PM
You ward happy jerk. Oh look at me! I'm Shorewood and I can power game by accident! One of these days...

In any case, Charles effortlessly maintains the ward.

Jazzy Spazzy
2010-09-29, 07:59 PM
Well thank you for that Mr. Finnily. Now here's your payment, and what is it you wanted to speak to me about?

shorewood
2010-09-29, 08:26 PM
"Tell me what do you know about Gilgamesh's war with the Summer court"

Jazzy Spazzy
2010-09-29, 08:34 PM
I was under the impression, that they were patching that little tiff up. I try not to get involved.

shorewood
2010-09-29, 08:48 PM
"Well I know this ex-marine, who has his heart set on knocking the ol god-king off the immortal coil. Finally put an end to all of the killings his clan is responsible for. But in order to do that we need a small army, and it just so happens that Summer has one. How interested would you be in renewing engineering the defeat of a great evil by renewing these hostilities?" Said Charles as he packed away his equipment.

Obscurejones
2010-09-29, 08:57 PM
Jazzy, we're still waiting on your ward and your "luck" potion in the OOC.

Jazzy Spazzy
2010-09-30, 06:48 PM
I'm not really sure if i can help you with that. I'm not much of a fighter, and i don't really know this Ex-marine. Plus i can't help but notice little adventures you've been on (looks directly at Charles missing arm) haven't gone so well for the others with you.
Lorelei turns her back on charles, taking out two glasses from her cabinets.

Plus not to sound selfish, whats in it for me?

shorewood
2010-09-30, 09:33 PM
"I'm not asking you to fight. Merely convince others to continue doing so. I can vouch for the ex-marine, he's a capable fighter who means well. And concerning this" Charles pats his opposing shoulder "Has taught me caution, with the harshest price. I wouldn't bring this too you if i didn't think we had a decent chance of success. And if destroying a great evil isn't reason enough to give this a try so that he ilk will NEVER AGAIN terrorize this city. Sooth your conscience with the fact that if this succeeds I will maintain your wards free of charge while you live in Baltimore for the rest of your life. And I swear by my power All that I've said is true."

Jazzy Spazzy
2010-10-02, 06:24 PM
Well that gets things serious rather quick...i'll see what i can do, I think i might know a guy who can help ...{roll}4d3-4[{/rollv} (contacts) Is there anyone of interest that can help get this thing started, any duke or something we could kill to prolong the fight....

issom
2010-10-03, 02:04 PM
Alxa seems slitghtly disapointed that he cant find any body armor, but he thinks for a bit, this could be more of a sniper mission, he starts thinkin about that and then decides to attempt making a gillie suit. his craftmanship and survival checks

[roll0]
[roll1]

shorewood
2010-10-03, 08:30 PM
"Thank you, I've appointments to keep for now contact me if you come across anything. I'll contact you if i come across anything." With that Charles finishes packing and politely makes his exit.

Walking out of the door he sighs a deep breath of relief that wasn't so bad... he thinks to himself as he gets into the car and drives toward matathias's house. Getting out of the car he walks to the front door and knocks.

Obscurejones
2010-10-03, 10:44 PM
Alxa manages to craft a ginny suit that will provide a +1 on any checks related to stealthy shooting.
---------
Jazzy, roll again please.

Dante Falcon
2010-10-04, 02:58 PM
Matthias left the envelope out on the table before walking to the door and opening it, making sure to pick up his sword in the process. "Mr. Finnily. You are allowed to enter." He left the door open enough for Charles to enter and walked ahead into the house, still thinking about the letter and formulating plans.

Jazzy Spazzy
2010-10-04, 07:12 PM
(rollv)4d3-4(/rollv)

shorewood
2010-10-04, 09:18 PM
"Thank you Matthias" responded Charles as he walked into the house scrapping the snow off his boots. As he walked to the table Charles sees the note and politely begins setting up his equipment on the opposite end of the table. "When I have finished here I have a proposition for you if you'd care to hear it." says Charles right before he begins renewing Matthias's wards. [roll0] and [roll1]. After he succeeds Charles turns toward Matthias and asks bluntly. "How would you like to make a fool of Summer?"

Dante Falcon
2010-10-05, 01:58 AM
Matthias sat at the table propping his elbows on the table and crossing his fingers, chin resting on the platform created by his knuckles.

"I believe I do that currently by myself. However you have my attention."

Obscurejones
2010-10-05, 08:44 AM
[Brackets Jazzy. Brackets.]
------
To be fair, without Charles's wards Mathias is made a fool by Summer.

issom
2010-10-05, 04:08 PM
alxa make his way to federal hill park and starts scouting the park, he uses alertness and survival to find likely hunting spots... he stays only ontill an hour before dusk and then heads back to his apartment

[roll0]
[roll1]

Jazzy Spazzy
2010-10-06, 04:33 PM
[roll0] Is that right?

shorewood
2010-10-07, 07:55 PM
"Summer has been at war with Gilgamesh for some time now. What a bunch of incompetent fools they would appear to be if the MidSummer knight comes in and topples the god king. Doing what the armies of Summer could not, would be a very impressive display of might for your court. Would it not?"

Dante Falcon
2010-10-08, 05:25 PM
"I would agree that the political gains would be great. However there is a complication in the matter. You are aware of the recent alliance between Gilgamesh and the Summer Court? It seems that if I suddenly go after Gilgamesh I'd be putting myself into a less than desirable situation against the Summer Court. Well more so than I already have. Although I have little doubt that my sponsors would be behind such a move."

Matthias leaned back in his chair, awaiting the response. There was an obvious flaw in his argument but his habit of not telling the whole truth continued to dilute his speech.

shorewood
2010-10-08, 07:05 PM
"I would hardly call their uneasy truce an alliance."

Dante Falcon
2010-10-08, 10:25 PM
"Even so....there maybe a way to make this work. I happen to be aware of a particular celebration being held by the Summer Court. Both the Summer Court and Gilgamesh should be there. I can get you in. Should you manage to do something worthwhile in the celebration without having the problem linked back to me then I will be willing to help your crusade."

Matthias kept his tone and eyes level the whole time, watching Charles closely.

Obscurejones
2010-10-08, 11:07 PM
Alxa notices the parks "Well Worn Trails" aspect.
---------
Lorelei:
The easiest person in town to deal with when starting a faerie war is Matthias. He has a dull war brewing with summer though. However his connection to Oberon tends to open doors.

Unfortunately the rest of the faerie activity in the town is limited to excursions by war parties and little folk.

You could try to bump off a ghoul. But it might not register as an assault. Ghouls tend to get hunted.

shorewood
2010-10-09, 12:02 AM
pausing for a moment Charles considers his options "What we need is to give Summer a reason to finally crush this thorn in their side and steal their glory before they strike, but preferably after Gilgamesh has deployed his forces to defend the ley line." sighing for a moment "How many people can you get into this party?"

Dante Falcon
2010-10-12, 01:20 AM
Matthias was practically giddy. Not only did this give him a few vassals but if he played this right....

"Tch....Mr. Finnily. We're talking about a high class party in the NeverNever. Invitations don't grow on trees. How many people are we looking at?"

shorewood
2010-10-12, 10:16 AM
"Only three, Alxa an ex-marine, Loralie a focused practitioner who specializes in manipulation and myself."

Dante Falcon
2010-10-14, 04:47 AM
Matt leaned forward again as the team was listed.

"Wait. You want me to bring an Ex-Marine. Into the Nevernever. I have a hard enough time convincing the fae to let me keep my sword let alone everything a marine is going to want to bring. And if he can keep control or is capable of the social interaction that place requires."

shorewood
2010-10-14, 12:30 PM
"He's the one who dragged me into this crusade of his, he deserves to be there. And Don't worry about him messing up the party, he is just smart enough to keep his ass out of trouble and his mouth shut."

Dante Falcon
2010-10-17, 09:59 PM
Matthias sighed and waved his hand dismissively.

"Alright...I'll get you all into this party. But once they are in they have to watch themselves as you know. I can't be hanging around to make sure they don't get in trouble. And they have to know they'll be coming in under the banner of the Midsummer Court which won't help their reputations in the Nevernever."

shorewood
2010-10-20, 07:26 AM
"Thank you, and I don't believe either of them will have much trouble walking under your banner. When is this party?"

Dante Falcon
2010-10-21, 06:59 PM
"Oh come on Mr. Finnily. That's a rookie mistake. You know no time has been set, with the Nevernever's tendency to have its own time line. Get me the list of names and I'll handle everything on this end. Just tell them to be ready as it could come up at any time."

shorewood
2010-10-21, 09:52 PM
With an exasperated sigh Charles nods and shrugs on his coat. pulling out a pad of paper from its pocket. "Here are their numbers, call them when its time. I'll have made sure that they are ready before then" Shaking Matthias's hand he collects his fee and steps out into the brisk December air.

Obscurejones
2010-10-22, 10:51 AM
A car streaks down the street as Charles steps out. Give me an Alertness role. And a magical Alertness. The skill name escapes me at the moment.

shorewood
2010-10-22, 01:40 PM
My Alertness role [roll0]

my lore plus one for having the sight [roll1]

And can Matthias get an alertness role?

Obscurejones
2010-10-24, 11:49 PM
Matthias gets an Alertness role but no magical role.
------------
As Charles sees a sleek silver revolver emerge from withing the jet black car he'll feel a lingering magic dull his reactions and slow his movements.

shorewood
2010-10-25, 07:23 AM
I use one of my fate points to keep my reactions normal.

Dante Falcon
2010-10-25, 11:36 AM
[roll0]

((Huzzah for no points in alertness))

Obscurejones
2010-10-25, 02:08 PM
Matthias is lucky he's even aware he has feet, much less noticing anything outside his front door. Charles can do whatever he pleases seeing as he's such a quick observant type.

Dante Falcon
2010-10-28, 03:34 AM
Matthias nodded and showed Charles out.

"I'll let you know when I find out more. Hopefully with some advance warning but no promises. My benefactors do like to surprise people. Be careful out there."

shorewood
2010-11-02, 10:52 AM
Instinct taking over, Charles raises his fist screaming CLYPEUS!

Clypeus

Evocation: earth
Blocking-block as a zone border
Area- All doors and windows of the car
strength 3
duration 2 exchanges
cost 3+2+1=6

This spell sends the surrounding rocks/dirt flying toward the car, clinching the doors shut and blocking the windows. In order to push through this a person must make a might check of 4 or more. I imagine that inside a car might give them minus's to this due to unfavorable leverage. On the other hand the driver can attempt to drive out...

[roll0] is my discipline check to control the spell I need 6 successes. And I take 2 mental stresses from casting the spell which i will pay with one of my mild consequences (headache).

Turning toward the house Charles screams "LET ME IN WE'VE GOT COMPANY!!" as he preps for a dead sprint toward matthias's house next exchange.

shorewood
2010-11-02, 10:54 AM
I only got 5 success so I will take backlash to ensure the spell works as planned so I will take one stress of physical damage, which will fill my first physical stress box.

Dante Falcon
2010-11-03, 03:59 AM
Matthias quickly opened the door, leaving it open and trusting Charles to close it once he was inside, taking a step away from the open doorway and drawing his iron sword.

"Why is it bad things always happen to me when people come visiting? Bad for the reputation you know."

Obscurejones
2010-11-12, 06:36 PM
The men in the car ram shoulders against doors and there is a squeal of burning rubber as the driver attempts to peel away. The gun leaning out the window fires several more shots.
----------
Give me defensive rolls.

shorewood
2010-11-12, 07:21 PM
But the windows are blocked...

Obscurejones
2010-11-12, 08:23 PM
BAH! Misread. In that case disregard the part about defense rolls and gun.

shorewood
2010-11-12, 08:26 PM
Charles Runs at a dead sprint back inside Matthias's house, slamming the door behind him. "Do you know who these guys are?" He asks while catching his breath.

Dante Falcon
2010-11-13, 12:23 AM
"Unfortunately no. My enemies don't tend to shoot at me with guns. They much prefer dying my clothes pink and hoping I die of embarassment. I'm presuming you did something to anger them and now they're pissed off at me. As if I didn't have enough problems." He kept his sword unsheathed, staying near the door and ready to fight.

shorewood
2010-11-13, 09:57 AM
"I would recall if I had made some one THIS mad at me. Are you sure they aren't after you? Cause i'm just a crippled business man, no reason to go after the hired help. And they can't be from Gilgamesh cause this plot of ours isn't more than a few hours old. So logically they must be after you." Charles says as he peeks out a window to get a better look at the scene outside.

Obscurejones
2010-11-13, 11:16 AM
The doors are rattling a little but his rock is holding for the moment.

Dante Falcon
2010-11-15, 05:13 AM
Matt looked at him levelly.

"You just applied logic to a world of magic which by its nature doesn't make any logical sense. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. Thank you. Come again."

shorewood
2010-11-15, 10:07 AM
"That is bull**** reasoning and you know it, if anything you can apply logic to predict the behavior of magical beings more so than you can humans. But ignoring that argument, your position hardly counts as a legitimate response to my observation. Since I can't imagine why they would be after me, they are probably after the only other person here, a.k.a YOU." replies Charles sharply, having little patience for matthias's insult that frankly made no sense.