PDA

View Full Version : Making a Duskblade in Ebberon: whick Knowledge should I get?

Starbuck_II
2010-09-24, 09:38 PM
I'm getting Knowledge Devotion so I'm thinking what knowledge skills to build up.
Arcana and planes have a good variety, but shold I get Local (for humanoids) and Nature or Dungeonering?

Any suggestions?

Emperor Tippy
2010-09-24, 09:45 PM
Knowledge: Ponies is a must :smallwink:

Seriously, Knowledge: Arcane or Politics are probably the most useful in Eberon. But it depends on what kind of game you are playing.

Arcane can usually be used to give you details on any monster you are facing that has casting abilities, and on magical phenomena. Which is most things above CR 10 or so.

Politics is a great help if you are dealing with any of the governments. Just knowing who to talk to/the balance of power at court/etc. can be incredibly useful (but the DM might role play all of that).

Starbuck_II
2010-09-24, 10:00 PM
Do I get bonus to hit Lawyer and politicians if i have Knowledge Politics. :smallamused:

Emperor Tippy
2010-09-24, 10:11 PM
Sure, I actually meant nobility and royalty.

I've redone the Knowledge skills for my campaigns, Politics was a combination of Nobility, History, Religion, and Local with a focus on the political issues.

Amphetryon
2010-09-24, 10:12 PM
Knowledge: Dungeoneering, to parlay into Impure Prince. :smallbiggrin:

Hague
2010-09-25, 01:59 AM
They're all marginally useful. Though, History and Arcana are probably the most useful.

Coidzor
2010-09-25, 04:10 AM
Why history?

Other than unveiling bits of the setting backdrop?

I'd say Local due to the odds that you're going to be facing much more in the way of humanoid and monstrous humanoid opponents than you are going to be facing things like dragons.

Even when it comes to the Blood of Vol as antagonists, most of them are going to be living humanoids. As far as I can recall, all of the Sarlonan antagonists are going to be humanoid barring planar shenanigans... at least I'm pretty sure Inspired are augmented humanoids. Aberrations... Those might come up every now and then, or not at all, depending. There's at least Aberrations for most levels you'd be encountering things at and to be things that would be common to the combat encounters as opposed to things like dragons and outsiders which are more sparingly used.

Greenish
2010-09-25, 04:15 AM
I'd say Local due to the odds that you're going to be facing much more in the way of humanoid and monstrous humanoid opponents than you are going to be facing things like dragons.Monstrous humanoids fall under Nature.
Even when it comes to the Blood of Vol as antagonists, most of them are going to be living humanoids. As far as I can recall, all of the Sarlonan antagonists are going to be humanoid barring planar shenanigans... at least I'm pretty sure Inspired are augmented humanoids.Blood of Vol, perhaps unsurprisingly, has a quite a contingent of undead, too. The Inspired are Humanoid (Human, Psionic).

But yeah, Eberron has all sorts of enemies, so just by knowing that the campaign is set there doesn't really narrow it down. Have you any other details on what it might include?

Kol Korran
2010-09-25, 04:32 AM
I havea duskblade who is about to take knowledge devotion in my campaign. he had a level of rogue and so took minimal knowledge skills in most enemies-related skills, just so he can get some bonus.

like the above poster, i suggest you ask the DM what skills might be useful. Eberron really has a lot to offer. in my campaign for example the duskblade realized Aberrations are going to play a major role, so he focused more on dungeoneering. (or so he thinks.)

if the DM can't tell you, here are some favorites of mine:
- Arcana: not just for the attack bonus, but because it actually tells you importent bits of information about magical beasts, golems, dragons and the like. many times those bits of information are really important.
- local: as said above. you'll probably meet a lot of humanoids. and if your DM plays it right, the knowledge itself can be handy.
- Planes: like arcana, the info on these guys could be really useful. DR bypassed by what? what spell like abilities? and so on...

i hope this helped.

Coidzor
2010-09-25, 04:41 AM
But yeah, Eberron has all sorts of enemies, so just by knowing that the campaign is set there doesn't really narrow it down. Have you any other details on what it might include?

Granted, the focus of the campaign is most important, as is the general level due to the way the world is scaled.

Still, the world is set up in such a way as to suggest certain populations of antagonists being higher than others. Outsiders, Elementals, and Dragons, say, being on the rarer side unless the focus of the campaign or adventure simply by the way the world is set up. Of course, when you do face those sorts of things, one would definitely be wanting full benefits to getting rid of them asap.