PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Shifter Totemist - how will this work?

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-24, 09:49 PM
So, I'm making a level 15 character for a game where we get a feat every level and planning on being a Shifter Barbarian 2/Totemist 4/Totem Rager 9. I'm going to be a Longtooth Shifter, and I planned on grabbing the Extra Shifter Trait for Razorclaw since I have the feats to spare as well. However, I started looking at soulmelds, and several offer claws that are better than the Razorclaw ones when bound to Totem chakra.

My first question is, should I go with soulmeld claws and save a feat, or should I go with the Razorclaw shifter trait and find something else/better to bind to Totem chakra?

My second question is, will my attack routine be bite at full BAB, claws and whatever else and -2 full BAB (with Multiattack), or something else? What happens if I am wielding a weapon in one hand?

Yuki Akuma
2010-09-24, 09:51 PM
Feats are precious - use the soulmeld.

If you're wielding a weapon, you can attack with it as your primary attack and use your natural attacks as secondary attacks. You can't make iterative attacks with natural attacks, even if you have a weapon that you can make iterative attacks with.

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-24, 10:19 PM
we get a feat every level

Feats aren't so precious this game. :smallbiggrin: The soulmelds, or in this case the Totem Chakra, are what is going to be precious to this character. The biggest problem I foresee is that I'll need to have a Necklace of Natural Attacks for enchanting/getting past DR when some of the claw melds let you pump them with essentia to get attack and damage bonuses.

T.G. Oskar
2010-09-25, 12:54 AM
Mind telling which claws you'll use (Kruthik or Sphinx?).

Remember that all three grant specific benefits that you can work with, although one will require more feats than usual.

Kruthik Claws deal more damage than claws with the razorclaw shifter trait, and they also deal acid damage when adding essentia.

Sphinx Claws deal almost twice the damage than claws with the razorclaw shifter trait, and they gain an enhancement bonus when adding essentia.

Razorclaw trait-based claws deal little damage 1d4, but they have several benefits: Razorclaw Elite is basically claw-pounce, Great Rend allows you to rend, Shifter Multiattack applies to all your shifter-based natural attacks (and quite probably to ALL natural attacks you get), Shifter Savagery improves your claws to deal 1d8 damage and their threat range increases to 19-20 (and also your bite, which can deal 19-20/x3 with Great Bite)... Basically, depending on how much you're willing to spend on your feats, you'll get a myriad of benefits by getting both Longtooth and Razorclaw.

I'd rather tell you to get Extra Shifter Trait (Razorclaw) and bind Lamia Belt to your Totem (which also grants claw attacks), with Girallon Arms on your Arms chakra (so that you can use the Razorclaw damage with rend), get Shifter Multiattack, Shifter Savagery and perhaps Great Bite AND Longtooth Elite. That way, you can attack with four claws, rend if two of them hit, have 19-20 on your main claws, and have a bite that deals 3d6 damage plus 19-20/x3 plus 1 point of Con damage. That way, you always win (and if you get a few levels in Warshaper, even better because you can apply the size increase to the Lamia Belt-given claws which means you deal even more damage, plus all the benefits of a 4-level dip on Warshaper).

Yuki Akuma
2010-09-25, 04:31 AM
Even if you get a feat every level, if you can replicate a feat with a class feature (or, in this case, exceed the feat), don't waste a bloody feat on it.

You can change your soulmelds. You can't change your feats.

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-25, 09:20 PM
So here's my next question. If I have the Double Chakra feat for Totem, can I bind both Girallon Arms and say Kruthik Claws to my Totem chakra and have 6 claws from that? It seems by RAW that this works, but they also both say that my real hands grow claws so I'm a bit confused by it.

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-25, 09:33 PM
So here's my next question. If I have the Double Chakra feat for Totem, can I bind both Girallon Arms and say Kruthik Claws to my Totem chakra and have 6 claws from that? It seems by RAW that this works, but they also both say that my real hands grow claws so I'm a bit confused by it.

You'd only have 4. But they would all be covered in acid, which is why the Kruthik Claws are so good.

But you could save the feat with the Urskan Greaves (and deal Sonic damage, which is harder to resist).

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-25, 10:21 PM
Oh but since every soulmeld can go on the totem spot, I'm sure there's going to be at least two that I'll want bound there.

Uh, nothing in Urskan Greaves says anything about sonic damage, only extra untyped damage on a charge.

Wow, I didn't realize that I'll be able to shape 6 soulmelds but only actually bind 3 of them. That kinda sucks since the vast majority of these have crappy stuff like +2 to a skill when they're only shaped. Hmm... So I'm currently thinking about binding Girallon Arms and Lamia Belt to Totem chakra for 6 claws plus my Shifter bite, and shaping Dread Carapace somewhere for the damage boost to all natural weapons. I also like Wormtail Belt, not sure what else would be useful for my last bind.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-25, 10:26 PM
I think that binding MAnticore's belt to the waist chakra might be a worthwile option, IIRC it gives you fly speed AND fly by attack

Ernir
2010-09-25, 10:36 PM
Uh, nothing in Urskan Greaves says anything about sonic damage, only extra untyped damage on a charge.

He's probably thinking of the Thunderstep Boots, a Soulborn soulmeld.

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-26, 12:59 PM
I'll only be an 11th level Totemist for meldshaping, so Heart, Throat, and Waist are still unavailable to bind to. That's why I was looking at Wormtail Belt since it has a good effect for just shaping it.

Alright, current plan for soulmelds:
Totem: Girallon Arms and Lamia Belt, both bound
Waist: Wormtail Belt shaped

Dread Carapace and Totem Avatar will be shaped somewhere convenient since I can't bind them and am just after their shape effects.

For my last bind, I'm torn between Phase Cloak and Worg Pelt on Hands for the free trip. Thoughts?

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-26, 01:09 PM
If you mess with the Phase Cloak and aren't binding it to your shoulders, you're doing it wrong.

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-26, 02:32 PM
That's why I said, "For my last bind" meaning Phase Cloak on Shoulders. I mentioned Worg Pelt on Hands since it can go several different chakras.

I've decided to drop Totem Avater since 11 HP isn't that much, and Wormtail belt does natural armor better. Not sure what else to shape as my 6th, non-bound soulmeld.

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-27, 07:30 AM
Any suggestions on whether I should bind Phase Cloak to Shoulders or Worg Pelt to Hands, and the other meld I should shape?

Also, I'm looking at magic items now. I have 200,000 to spend, and I already have a +1 Mithral Breastplate that I may enchant further. Any item suggestions other than stat boosters?

Keld Denar
2010-09-27, 10:52 AM
Boots of Speed are a solid buy for 12,000g. Also, Freedom (MIC?) on your BP would set you back 35,000g. +6 Con is 36,000g, and probably a +4 Str item for 16,000g. Amulet of Natural Attacks wouldn't really work out well for you, since you have multiple types of natural attacks, so I'd probably look for the base Amulet of Mighty Blows just for the DR penetration. Stack that with a Ring of Adamant Might (MIC, 8000g) and you'll be able to handle MOST common DRs. +5 Resistance vest or cloak is 25,000g depending on whether you bind your Shoulder or not. That covers most of the basics.

Past that, utility stuff like Scout's Headband to give you TS once a day is nice, and anything that can give you short range teleport (provided you aren't binding Phase Cloak and/or Blink Shirt).

Person_Man
2010-09-27, 04:03 PM
Shifter is a lousy race. I would personally avoid investing any feats in it. My go to race for Totemist builds is Dragonborn Dwarf or Mongrelfolk.

If you attack with a weapon in one hand, they you can't use the claw for that hand, and all of your natural weapons are secondary attacks.
Assuming you had +11 BAB and 4 claws (Girillion Arms) with Multiattack, your attack routine would be +11/+6/+1/+9/+9/+9, Weapon/Weapon/Weapon/Claw/Claw/Claw.

If you're stuck on the Barbarian thing, then consider Barbarian 1/Totemist 2/Incarnate 3/Totem Rager 9 instead. Uncanny Dodge (Barbarian 2) can be gained with the Impulse Boots soulmeld, and the +1 essentia capacity and increased flexibility of soulmelds is a huge deal.

If you want the best Incarnum build for that ECL, consider Totemist 2/Incarnate 3/Ironsoul Forgemaster 10 - Heart Chakra and Save or Daze effect against all living enemies whenever you hit them with your melee weapon (ie, 3ish+ times per round).

If you intend to go up to ECL 18+, then consider Totemist 2/Incarnate 4/Sorcerer 1/Necrocarnate 13. This opens up every chakra slot (Totem, Heart, Soul, etc), the uber Share Soulmeld feat (for your Familiar), progresses your meldshaper level for both Incarnate and Totemist, and has several very strong options built into it.

My favorite soulmelds at ECL 15ish for a Totemist-ish builds:

Brood Keeper's Heart: Gain Swarm (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Swarm_Subtype) subtype when bound to Heart. Dragon Magazine 350 pg 86.
Chaos Roc's Span: Gain 2 Wing Buffet attacks. When bound to Shoulders enemies hit by both must Save or be Dazed (Mind Effecting). Dragon Magazine 350 pg 87.
Shedu Crown: Telepathy when bound to Crown.
Girillion Arms: Bonus to Grapple checks, 4 claws when bound to Totem. Rend when Bound to Arms.
Sphinx Claws: Pounce with Natural Weapons when bound to Hands.
Threefold Mask of the Chimera: Cannot be Flanked.
Blink Shirt: Dimension Door. It's only a Move Action when bound to Totem. It grants Blink (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/blink.htm) at will when bound to Heart.
Crystal Helm (Incarnate): When bound to Crown Melee attacks gain the Force type, negating miss chance from Blink or Etherealness (Apparition Ribbon soulmeld Incarnate trick).
Heart of Fire: (1d4 * esentia) bonus Fire damage to all natural weapons when bound to Totem chakra.
Basalisk Mask: Flesh to Stone at Will when bound to Totem. Only lasts 1 round, but it's an awesome Save or Lose spam against boss enemies.
Winter Mask: 2d6 + (2d6*essentia) cold damage, 15 ft cone, when bound to Throat. Your highest damage area of effect attack (although you should use Dragonfire Mask if you prefer less damage with a 30 ft cone). Ask your DM if you can use Metabreath feats to augment it.
Draconic Tail: Tail attack (that doesn't threaten, but hey, it's still an extra natural attack). When bound to Waist chakra, it threatens, and gains +5 ft of reach (important for Medium Totemists who choose to rely solely on natural weapons). Dragon Magic.

Questions?

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-28, 08:26 AM
@Person_Man: Well, I went with Shifter mostly for the racial bite attack, but then I noticed Shifter Savagery from Races of Eberron that improves their natural weapons by 2 dice and makes them threaten on 19-20 when raging. The other race I considered is Warforged for a slam, a feat for a bite, and another feat for a second slam on top of other natural attacks, as well as all of their immunities. I don't currently have any soulmelds with a saving throw, so I haven't been too worried about pumping Con other than to get it to at least 20 for essentia capacity. I think I'll stick with the Shifter or Warforged for now.

Also, yes I really do want to play a Totem Rager, although I'll look into progressing Incarnate meldshaping instead of Totemist. Thanks for the soulmeld suggestions too, I'll check those out.

@Keld Denar: Do I need the Amulet of Mighty Blows even if I put essentia into Girallon Arms when bound to Totem? My understand is that since it gives them an enhancement bonus to attack and damage that they count as magic, but I could be wrong. I did already find the Ring of Adamantine Might and combined it with a Ring of the Darkhidden since I'm going for a minor in being a sneaky scout.

Person_Man
2010-09-28, 08:49 AM
@Person_Man: Well, I went with Shifter mostly for the racial bite attack, but then I noticed Shifter Savagery from Races of Eberron that improves their natural weapons by 2 dice and makes them threaten on 19-20 when raging. The other race I considered is Warforged for a slam, a feat for a bite, and another feat for a second slam on top of other natural attacks, as well as all of their immunities. I don't currently have any soulmelds with a saving throw, so I haven't been too worried about pumping Con other than to get it to at least 20 for essentia capacity. I think I'll stick with the Shifter or Warforged for now.

The bonus damage from Shifter Savagery is pretty marginal. Increasing base damage from 1d6 to 2d6 is +3.5 damage per successful hit, and the increase on the threat range basically just grants you an extra attack 5% of the time (because even if you roll a 19 and hit, you still have to confirm your crit) against non-crit immune enemies. Also, it only applies while Shifting (limited use) and Raging (limited use) at the same time, and explicitly doesn't stack with Improved Natural Attack.

Warforged would be a better choice. You may also wish to consider Darfellon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050805a&page=2) (bite, swim) or variant Kobold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) (bite, claw, claw, 2 feats for a prehensile tail you can use as a third arm).

But the Totemist has any easy time getting 6-9 attacks per round. How many do you want? At some point you need to put resources into other combos.

I would also say that your Con is your most important attribute even if you don't use soulmelds with Save DCs. You're a front line melee monster. You're going to be taking a ton of damage.

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-28, 12:12 PM
The bonus damage from Shifter Savagery is pretty marginal. Increasing base damage from 1d6 to 2d6 is +3.5 damage per successful hit, and the increase on the threat range basically just grants you an extra attack 5% of the time (because even if you roll a 19 and hit, you still have to confirm your crit) against non-crit immune enemies. Also, it only applies while Shifting (limited use) and Raging (limited use) at the same time, and explicitly doesn't stack with Improved Natural Attack.

That may be true, but it's a bigger bonus than Improved Natural Attack and applies to all of my natural weapons, not just one kind. Shifting and Raging are technically limited, but between Totem Rager class features, the Extra Rage feat and the various Shifter feats I have, I'll be able to Rage and Shift 5 times a day, with the Rage lasting 13-14 rounds and Shifting lasting 17 rounds. I think that 5 times per day for a total of 65 rounds that I can Shift and Rage is pretty darn good.

Warforged would be a better choice. You may also wish to consider Darfellon (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050805a&page=2) (bite, swim) or variant Kobold (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) (bite, claw, claw, 2 feats for a prehensile tail you can use as a third arm).

But the Totemist has any easy time getting 6-9 attacks per round. How many do you want? At some point you need to put resources into other combos..

With my current build, I have a bite from Shifter, 6 claws from Girallon Arms and Lamia Belt both bound to Totem, and a gore attack from the Horned Helm (MIC, 8000gp), and of course Pounce from the Lion Totem Barbarian. Cobalt Rage will provide 8 or 9 damage to all of those, in addition to damage size bump and threat range from Shifter Savagery if I stay a Shifter. I'm pretty happy with those 8 attacks and my 30 Strength when Raging and Shifting adds another 10 damage to each. I will consider Warforged since I could add 2 Slams for 10 attacks on top of their immunities, but I'd need to decide what to do with the 5 or 6 feats changing races would free up. :smallamused: I suppose I could spend at least one on INA for claws to buff the most common natural weapon there.

I would also say that your Con is your most important attribute even if you don't use soulmelds with Save DCs. You're a front line melee monster. You're going to be taking a ton of damage.

This is a good point, and I've considered a Ring of Blinking to go with my 195 HP since I won't have a super high AC, although my saves are pretty good from stats and Cobalt Rage.

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-29, 07:23 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far, I'm getting things sorted out. The biggest question I have now that I haven't been able to find in MoI is how do characters with levels in more than one meldshaper class work? Do I add the Essentia pools together, or do I have 2 seperate pools that can only be used on one class's soulmelds? If I unlock a chakra as an Incarnate, can I bind Totemist soulmelds to it?

Greenish
2010-09-29, 08:39 AM
a gore attack from the Horned Helm (MIC, 8000gp)I seem to recall that the helm had annoying limitations on it's use, preventing you from using it together with other attacks.

Person_Man
2010-09-29, 08:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies so far, I'm getting things sorted out. The biggest question I have now that I haven't been able to find in MoI is how do characters with levels in more than one meldshaper class work? Do I add the Essentia pools together, or do I have 2 seperate pools that can only be used on one class's soulmelds? If I unlock a chakra as an Incarnate, can I bind Totemist soulmelds to it?

Your essentia pool is the total sum of essentia that you gain from every source. It all goes into one pool, and anything can draw from it. Also, don't overlook the Necrocarnum Weapon, the Incarnum spells (which you can put in a wand or ask a friend to memorize), and/or a 1 level dip in Necrocarnate. All are great sources of essentia.

Once a chakra slot is opened, any soulmeld that you are capable of shaping can be bound to it. So if you open your Crown/Feet/Hands chakra with Incarnate or a prestige class progressing your Incarnate soulmelds, you can still bind Totemist soulmelds to it.

For multi-class meldshapers, meldshaper levels are distinct for each class, just like a Wizard/Cleric. So Totemist 2/Incarnate 3 has a Meldshaper level of 2 for Totemist and 3 for Incarnate. If you take a prestige class other then Necrocarnate, it only progresses one of them. (Necrocarnate is worded in such a way that it progresses both). If you take a soulmeld with the Shape Soulmeld feat, then your meldshaper level is equal to 1/2 your character level.

However, meldshaper level has no effect on Save DCs, which are 10 + essentia invested + Con bonus for Totemist and Soulborn soulmelds, 10 + essentia invested + Wis bonus for Incarnate soulmelds. It only effects how easily your soulmelds can be Dispelled, and the power level of certain soulmelds (with Vitality Belt and Necrocarnum Circlet being the real standouts).

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-29, 09:51 AM
I seem to recall that the helm had annoying limitations on it's use, preventing you from using it together with other attacks.

It doesn't say anything about limitations from what I'm seeing, and I just checked for errata and there are none for this item.

@Person_Man: Thanks for clearing those up. I'm steering clear of Necrocarnum cause I don't want to be evil, but I'm having trouble deciding which type of Incarnate fits best with the whole "I am the wrath of nature personified" type character I'm going for. I'm leaning toward Good or Chaos but I'll need to look at their exclusive soulmelds before I decide.

Greenish
2010-09-29, 10:09 AM
It doesn't say anything about limitations from what I'm seeing, and I just checked for errata and there are none for this item.Ah, my bad, I must be confusing it with something else.

Person_Man
2010-09-29, 10:52 AM
@Person_Man: Thanks for clearing those up. I'm steering clear of Necrocarnum cause I don't want to be evil, but I'm having trouble deciding which type of Incarnate fits best with the whole "I am the wrath of nature personified" type character I'm going for. I'm leaning toward Good or Chaos but I'll need to look at their exclusive soulmelds before I decide.

Your alignment effects your Incarnum Radiance class ability, plus the Incarnate Weapon and your Incarnate Avatar soulmelds, which are all key for Incarnate builds. But as a multi-class build, you probably won't use them.

There are no Lawful or Chaotic exclusive soulmelds. They can take the Necrocarnum Acolyte feat to gain access to Necrocarnum soulmelds. But I consider that a waste of a feat.

Good gets exclusive access to Armguards of Disruption (anti-undead stuff), Shedu Crown (immunity to Bull Rush, Telepathy), and Lammasu Mantle (bonus to AC/Saves against Evil enemies, which can be shared with allies), which are each situationally useful.

Evil gets exclusive access to Bloodwar Gauntlets (garbage), Necrocarnum Touch (garbage), Necrocarnum Vestments (garbage), Necrocarnum Mantle (garbage), Gloves of the Poisoned Soul (Wis damage - useful if your DM reads it liberally and lets you use it for multiple attacks per round), Necrocarnum Shroud (Fear effect), Necrocarnum Weapon (bonus damage and essentia), Necrocarnum Circlet (endless summon zombie!), and Lamia Belt (Bonus to Hide and Bluff, 2 claw attacks located in "lower half" - so with Girillion belt you arguably get 6 claws).

Lawful isn't an option for you, since you'd lose the ability to Rage. Chaotic barely gets you anything. So your real options are Neutral Good or Neutral Evil.

I would choose Good if you know for a fact that you're going to be fighting a lot of Evil enemies (especially Undead). Otherwise I would go with Evil. I could easily see a Neutral Evil Totem Rager who believes in a "law of the jungle," survival of the fittest, civilization is a very bad thing but I personally never lie or deceive, eco-terrorist ideology. Be nice to your "freedom fighting" party members (who spend a conspicuous amount of time breaking into dungeons and castles, killing strangers, and taking their stuff) and focus your hatred and Evil tendencies against anyone who disagrees with your narrow view of protecting nature.

Master_Rahl22
2010-09-29, 03:00 PM
I could see Neutral Evil working with the concept, but the Necrocarnum soulmelds that don't have labeled garbage don't interest me, and I can (and currently do) get Lamia Belt as a Totemist meld. It looks like NG it is!

I may change my mind though when I get to figuring out my melds with the new build since several of the ones I chose are Totemist only, I'll have to decide which of those to keep.