PDA

View Full Version : Judge this Alignment (Adult D&D)

Volomon
2010-09-25, 01:53 PM
{Scrubbed}

Marnath
2010-09-25, 01:56 PM
Chaotic evil, verging into chaotic stupid. I hope you're roleplaying him as mentally unstable, otherwise it tastes like poor RP'ing personally.

Volomon
2010-09-25, 01:59 PM
Chaotic evil, verging into chaotic stupid. I hope you're roleplaying him as mentally unstable, otherwise it tastes like poor RP'ing personally.

Totally unstable. From start to finish. In fact I suggested a alignment of just plain insane. The man tried to ride a 1.5 foot dragon, while the thing was tied up merely because he may never ride one again. Gave it the name scoot as he pushed it along the floor.

lsfreak
2010-09-25, 02:01 PM
I don't think there's enough to get an alignment, unless you count Chaotic Stupid. If someone tried to do something like that while I was DM'ing, he probably would have been lynched by the townsfolk halfway through. After all, this is medieval-ish times. Crazy is to be feared at best, to speak nothing of public indecency and outright heresy.
EDIT: Clarification.

Volomon
2010-09-25, 02:04 PM
No room in D&D worlds for the insane, huh, only our padded cells in reality. Spiteful DMs trying to meta game all the time.

It's a gnome by the way, not sure if it makes a difference, with short man complex.

lsfreak
2010-09-25, 02:05 PM
No room in D&D worlds for the insane, huh, only our padded cells in reality. Spiteful DMs trying to meta game all the time.

Read my edit. The insane don't have a place in society where it's feared to be demonic possession.

Marnath
2010-09-25, 02:05 PM
Another vote for he would have been hanged. No one is going to believe a raving lunatic running around with his penis out all day over a man who is a pillar of the community, a keeper of the faith. Your guy set the church on fire, and NO ONE would believe otherwise.

*edit: Spiteful DM trying to meta-game? Lol wut? Explain to me how being killed for being a crazy church burning imbecile is metagaming?

Volomon
2010-09-25, 02:08 PM
Another vote for he would have been hanged. No one is going to believe a raving lunatic running around with his penis out all day over a man who is a pillar of the community, a keeper of the faith. Your guy set the church on fire, and NO ONE would believe otherwise.

How would they know I only showed my penis to individuals of note not the entire town. Such as an alchemist within the building in question, aka meaning only maybe since it's such a small town three people or less. Also how is finding a cure for a disease "insane". The keeper of the faith was just seen ranting through the town coming out of a burning church undressing himself. If your local priest was on the news for a crime you would still believe in him? Something tells me not. In such a small town maybe only one person saw me go in, and that one person spoke out and got hanged.

Marnath
2010-09-25, 02:10 PM
How would they know I only showed my penis to individuals of note not the entire town. Such as an alchemist within the building in question, aka meaning only maybe since it's such a small town three people or less. The keeper of the faith was just seen ranting through the town coming out of a burning church undressing himself. In such a small town maybe only one person saw me go in, and that one person spoke out and go hanged.

You can't be disguised as someone else if you take your disguise off. :smallsigh:
Not to mention the fact he's a gnome, are you saying the cleric was a gnome too or something? Because human is the default assumption otherwise.

*edit: How did the church burn down with the real cleric standing right there, not dead? It doesn't work that way. People put fires out before they get big.

Volomon
2010-09-25, 02:12 PM
You can't be disguised as someone else if you take your disguise off. :smallsigh:
Not to mention the fact he's a gnome, are you saying the cleric was a gnome too or something? Because human is the default assumption otherwise.

*edit: How did the church burn down with the real cleric standing right there, not dead? It doesn't work that way. People put fires out before they get big.

I casts spells to disguise myself as well, and web burns for 2d4 damage to everything it touches (aka wood). Also it's a small town, in the old days entire towns would burn down, LONDON for instance burned almost entirely and there's a lot more than a few people living in LONDON.

lsfreak
2010-09-25, 02:13 PM
How would they know I only showed my penis to individuals of note not the entire town.

Megum immediately begins to show random people his penis and inquires about their thoughts on the matter.

Later impressed by our heroics we are approached by an elderly woman. To which Megum shows his penis since she must have experience in this department for her age.

Which is it? Looks pretty random to me. Someone flashing themselves to random people? "That's not right, that is. Something wrong with the guy. Vulgar. Dangerous. Minds like that ain't right. Possession, that is." There'd be a mob from the tavern within 15 minutes, wouldn't have even had a chance to burn down the church.

Volomon
2010-09-25, 02:16 PM
Which is it? Looks pretty random to me. Someone flashing themselves to random people? "That's not right, that is. Something wrong with the guy. Vulgar. Dangerous. Minds like that ain't right. Possession, that is." There'd be a mob from the tavern within 15 minutes, wouldn't have even had a chance to burn down the church.

One that was a different town if you read it. Where I showed the elderly woman. Random people, I meant more like randomly "qualified individuals" alchemists, and anyone else that might be deemed qualified. Actually it's correctly written in the above story. You have the two towns confused as being the SAME town.

I also don't see why a Mob would chase someone down for going to the "doctor" do you get a mob every time you go to the doctor for jock itch standing outside?

Fiery Diamond
2010-09-25, 02:16 PM
I add my vote for Chaotic Stupid. As a DM, there is a reason I don't allow evil aligned characters - and this is part of it. "Adult D&D"? Dear *insert deity name here*, I shudder to think what this would be like if you weren't an adult but rather a hormonal teenager.

Volomon
2010-09-25, 02:19 PM
I add my vote for Chaotic Stupid. As a DM, there is a reason I don't allow evil aligned characters - and this is part of it. "Adult D&D"? Dear *insert deity name here*, I shudder to think what this would be like if you weren't an adult but rather a hormonal teenager.

Ya holy mistletoe forbid it if someone got drunk and had random sex with strangers and got a disease. Never heard such a thing in my life.

Marnath
2010-09-25, 02:22 PM

This is how it should have gone. People don't accept crazies, especially in a world where Mob rule and Might Makes Right are standing laws. At the very least you would be locked up for doing things like that.

Volomon
2010-09-25, 02:23 PM
This is how it should have gone. People don't accept crazies, especially in a world where Mob rule and Might Makes Right are standing laws. At the very least you would be locked up for doing things like that.

I would agree if it was the same town, but you miss the fact that I was just the Mayor's hero and savior in the first town. So in favor was I that I was invited to the funeral. Aside from that I could have killed the whole town by myself, so your right with the Might Makes Right.

The second town I didn't do it so randomly I looked for legitimate "doctors".

Marnath
2010-09-25, 02:27 PM
I would agree if it was the same town, but you miss the fact that I was just the Mayor's hero and savior in the first town. So in favor was I that I was invited to the funeral.

The second town I didn't do it so randomly I looked for legitimate "doctors".

You might be surprised to hear this, but people take a very dim view of vulgarity, especially at funerals and the like. Your hero status would dry up quickly in the face of behavior like that. " Oy, what gives 'im the right ta drop 'is pants like tha? Disrespectful, tha is. I don' reccon we need ta put up wit dat, even if he is a bloomin hero."

Volomon
2010-09-25, 02:32 PM
You might be surprised to hear this, but people take a very dim view of vulgarity, especially at funerals and the like. Your hero status would dry up quickly in the face of behavior like that. " Oy, what gives 'im the right ta drop 'is pants like tha? Disrespectful, tha is. I don' reccon we need ta put up wit dat, even if he is a bloomin hero."

I think you guys have a purist view of the old days when they use to throw buckets of crap out the window and yell watch out and if you got hit in the face it was your fault. I agree if I heard a remark like that it would have liken me to put away my love tool. However the DM made no mention of negative feedback. I role play with what I got and with no return on his side of the table then I have to assume it's ok. I also think you guys are just assuming I had my pants down all day or something. It wasn't quite so blunt as you make it seem. I didn't say I showed my penis to random people all the live long day.

I mean honestly if this was some gypsy town (IRELAND 1900) and one of the villages got a VD it's highly likely he would show the rest of the villagers males. This was actually very common, roman soldiers (Europa 700) would all bath in the nude and comment on each others penis.

What do you guys think they do when they take a bath? Stay in their showers at home? Or have two shower hours or days where woman go to the river then men.

It was very common in the early ages before the HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE aka the POPE, that males would share with older males their plights, and older males would often give tips on how to care for the pain or disease. Even their after in many plays of that day VD is still talked about in length in plays even by Shakespeare. Hell even the Holy Roman Empire aka the Pope had taxes on hookers.

Maybe it's just my background in history and anthropology that makes it seem normal to ask random elder males what they think of my disease. I guess if you didn't know any better it sounds crazy.

Marnath
2010-09-25, 02:50 PM

You haven't answered any of these questions yet, either. Was the cleric a gnome too? Why did he just stand there and watch the building burn down without casting create water or forming a bucket brigade of citizens?

*edit: And where the heck was he to defend himself when you were slandering him?

Volomon
2010-09-25, 02:51 PM
You haven't answered any of these questions yet, either. Was the cleric a gnome too? Why did he just stand there and watch the building burn down without casting create water or forming a bucket brigade of citizens?

*edit: And where the heck was he to defend himself when you were slandering him?

I don't really know that's more of a DM sided question. All I know is I burned it down.

For the Edit: Again more DM questions, from what I understood despite their being no way for me to know. Aka he's pulling in metagaming, he found a hold or shelter below the church as it burned. As for my character I have to assume he was dead despite knowing this knowledge. Most likely he was unconscious from the smoke, and I'm pretty sure create water wouldn't put out a 20by20 foot immediate inferno.

Ohya I declared it "Vengeance on Evil Day" before leaving the town and heading north and had flags made for every building in town with the clerics face on it.

snoopy13a
2010-09-25, 02:54 PM
My best guess is lawful good.

Volomon
2010-09-25, 02:59 PM

I guess realistically though is that I threw him so far off his game he was in to much shock to get his mind back in order.

I hate to compare my self to Hitler but I would call it the Hitler effect. One moment your listen to a speech and then the next the whole world is at war.

Marnath
2010-09-25, 03:05 PM
I don't really know that's more of a DM sided question. All I know is I burned it down.

For the Edit: Again more DM questions, from what I understood despite their being no way for me to know. Aka he's pulling in metagaming, he found a hold or shelter below the church as it burned. As for my character I have to assume he was dead despite knowing this knowledge.

There's so much wrong there I don't know where to start. You don't need to metagame, your pc knows he's alive, he was standing right freaking next to you. You didn't kill him. Why did he not put the fire out?
A DM cannot metagame, he is literally in charge of the rules of the universe. Not to mention that having a hideout is perfectly reasonable, assuming he didn't leave by the FRONT DOOR. Why did anyone believe that you, a naked gnome, were this cleric leaving the building, and why would they believe a stranger that a person from their own town burned his own church down? They hanged the person who spoke out against you? They should more likely have all felt that way, and hanged you.

*edit:

I hate to compare my self to Hitler but I would call it the Hitler effect. One moment your listen to a speech and then the next the whole world is at war.
Ok, I think we're done here. This is obviously not intended to be a coherent discussion.

doc*sk
2010-09-25, 03:06 PM
I'm thinking chaotic evil.

Chaotic because he doesn't seem to have much interest in the social morays of those around him.

Evil because he does not seem very interested in helping others but himself. IMO, good is about finding ways to help and not hurt. On the other hand, evil is the opposite.

Volomon
2010-09-25, 03:12 PM
There's so much wrong there I don't know where to start. You don't need to metagame, your pc knows he's alive, he was standing right freaking next to you. You didn't kill him. Why did he not put the fire out?
A DM cannot metagame, he is literally in charge of the rules of the universe. Not to mention that having a hideout is perfectly reasonable, assuming he didn't leave by the FRONT DOOR. Why did anyone believe that you, a naked gnome, were this cleric leaving the building, and why would they believe a stranger that a person from their own town burned his own church down? They hanged the person who spoke out against you? They should more likely have all felt that way, and hanged you.

He wasn't standing next to me, again clearly in the above story it says I make a beeline for the door. Meaning I moved. If I cast web means there's a lot in my way now either he is behind it or in it. A DM can metagame, aka a DM says "I hate you", a meteor flies out of the sky and lands on your character. He is bringing outside feelings or information into the game. Even worse giving players knowledge beyond their characters purely for spite. This is known as metagaming. As mentioned twice or perhaps thrice I used disguise via spell/skill. Not only did they hang the man that spoke out, but my charm and speech was so perfect that the villages felt GOOD about hanging the man.

Let me put it in a modern notion so you can better grasp it, if a priest has been in your home town for over 50 years he's going on 65. Some young boy says he molested him, do you hang the little boy and say he's crazy?

Volomon
2010-09-25, 03:14 PM

*edit:

Ok, I think we're done here. This is obviously not intended to be a coherent discussion.

Yup because the word Hitler is beyond all four letter words to those oh so mature.

Mikeavelli
2010-09-25, 03:22 PM
{Scrubbed}

Volomon
2010-09-25, 03:25 PM
I'm thinking chaotic evil.

Chaotic because he doesn't seem to have much interest in the social morays of those around him.

Evil because he does not seem very interested in helping others but himself. IMO, good is about finding ways to help and not hurt. On the other hand, evil is the opposite.

Ya that seems logical but if you look deeper into the description the notion of Chaotic Evil is far more prevalent to destruction and general mayhem for evils own sake. Where as Neutral or Lawful even. Lawful meaning code of conduct which could be nearly anything aka not killing children, but potentially can pursue evil for evil's sake could all potentially cover this character.

The DM wants to turn the character into C/E but I think that would potentially be disastrous because despite being insane he was L/E meaning he had certain restrictions aka "wife" "companions" a sense of "teamwork" when in a party, didn't chase down elderly goblins and children. Reasonably took jobs and complete them instead of immediately killing the job person and taking the entire money asap. Even conferred with "Good" aligned characters for morale guidance within a particular situation. Minus that guidance you get an uncontrolled Megum burning things down instead.

Under C/E I think Megum would return to the town under paranoia that his crime will be identified and he my in the future be pursued and try to kill as many as he can in the middle of the night.

Under L/E the murder is easily explained by the Cleric being a different and non-liked religious background.

akma
2010-09-25, 03:40 PM
Chaotic evil, verging into chaotic stupid.

You are wrong, his alignment is obviously chaotic penis.

That`s called goodwin law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
And according to what I have read, it tends to derails disscussions into flame wars.

I got that feeling too, but I realy wanted to make that chaotic penis joke.

Reis Tahlen
2010-09-25, 04:55 PM
Not an alignement problem.

As he is, this character is absolutely unplayable in a standart roleplaying session. No one right in his mind would want someone like him in his group. No one will hire someone like him. No story can be possible for the DM, because your lunatic will blow it up because of... because.

Therefore, if you have some consideration for your DM and your teammates, change your character.

MickJay
2010-09-25, 05:16 PM
That`s called goodwin law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
And according to what I have read, it tends to derails disscussions into flame wars.

That's only really a risk if one person compares another, for the purpose of criticizing them. Here, A. H is only mentioned to show how charismatic/convincing the gnome was, Godwin doesn't come into this (except, of course, when people start bringing it up, which then may actually result in the described way).

As for alignment, Chaotic Neutral/Chaotic Evil. The gnome was essentially acting in self defense, though without caring about consequences/not limiting collateral damage (and the defense was only necessary because of selfish and stupid behaviour earlier on).

WitchSlayer
2010-09-25, 05:39 PM
I would, in all honesty, kick you out of my game.

Crossblade
2010-09-25, 07:43 PM

{Scrubbed}

The DM is clearly metagaming because, as stated, the locals would have lynched the tiny gnome probably 1/4th of the way through the chaos.

{Scrubbed}

why would the wife even continue to act so ignorant and want to continue looking for adventures with this cretin? He ran off, stole and squandered all their belongings and money, AND cheated on her... and then continued the stupidity of flashing people with her beside him.

Why do I get the feeling this is a 1 player, 1 DM game?

herrhauptmann
2010-09-25, 08:02 PM

Possibly 1 DM, two players.
So the priest saw someone defiling his temple, and attempts to stop the person with a nondeadly spell. As a result, he must be evil, and therefore deserves to be burned alive, should he survive that, he deserves malicious slander and to potentially be burned at the stake as a witch/evil person.
Any person who speaks up in defense of the priest deserves a lynch mob. But why would they listen to you? You spent a few hours flashing people, then the church burns down, you leave and return and start calling for the death of someone in the community. Social issues vs the insane or not, I wouldn't expect anyone to listen to you. Nor would I expect your persuasiveness to be high enough to accomplish this, at least not if you're only at the level of casting mount and web.

You say you flash random people, then later specify doctors, apothecaries and other educated people. They're not random. Any misunderstandings on our part is the fault of your own poor storytelling ability.

Alignment: Maybe chaotic neutral, more likely chaotic idiot.
Verdict: Wouldn't be your DM, and wouldn't participate in a game with you if you acted like this.

Marnath
2010-09-25, 08:20 PM

Me too, honestly.

Agreed. No one is that desperate to play DnD to want to put up with that unless they're of the same immaturity level.

As far as the OP's self-concern that the DM is metagaming; I would agree. The DM is clearly metagaming because, as stated, the locals would have lynched the tiny gnome probably 1/4th of the way through the chaos.

Furthermore, even ignoring the stupidity of the indecency; why would the wife even continue to act so ignorant and want to continue looking for adventures with this cretin? He ran off, stole and squandered all their belongings and money, AND cheated on her... and then continued the stupidity of flashing people with her beside him.

+1 agreement. Well stated.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-25, 08:52 PM
I'm going to go with Chaotic Stupid or WTF Stupid. Burning down the church and trying to slander the priest?... Character should probably be Hanged dawn and quartered (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanged,_drawn_and_quartered)* or subjected so some other form of medieval torture like being subjected to Blood Eagle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_eagle) or Sawing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawing_(torture))

*Yea... they were "creative" in their tortures back then.

Thajocoth
2010-09-25, 09:53 PM
Chaotic Good. Getting that guy hanged at the end was an evil act, but for everything that didn't have to do with his penis, he seemed to be working towards Good. (He had no idea that the cleric attacking him wasn't evil. As far as he knows, he's getting rid of evil.) The flashings of his penis to people were Chaotic acts, certainly, but definitely not evil. He was simply looking for help.

Roland St. Jude
2010-09-25, 09:54 PM
Sheriff: Locked for review.

averagejoe
2010-09-26, 04:02 PM
The Mod They Call Me: I'm going to leave this one locked. The topic was inappropriate in the first place, and there's not much to discuss now that the first post is gone.