PDA

View Full Version : Burrow?

Abaddon87
2010-09-25, 03:39 PM
So I made a Mineral Warrior Barbarian for a 3.5 FR game and I had some questions about the Burrow speed the template gives you...

Do you make a tunnel when you burrow? Could others follow you underground if you burrowed ahead of them? If not and the ground closes behind you, how does the character breath?

Are there rules on attacking from underground? Can I burrow under an enemy and attack from directly under him? Could I burrow shallow in an attempt to have the enemy above collapse the tunnel and fall into a hole/pit? Can it be used to give a surprise round?

Any nifty tactics and/or ideas for how to use burrow would be a huge help. The game so far is between the PCs (merc group trying to clear some orcs out of a keep) and (Surprise!) Orcs... We "had" some town guard with us to help, but they got wiped out in a scouting party attack :smalleek: I get the feeling that using burrow to mine and the parties advantage will be needed...

Thanks Playgrounders!

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-25, 04:29 PM
Burrow
A creature with a burrow speed can tunnel through dirt, but not through rock unless the descriptive text says otherwise. Creatures cannot charge or run while burrowing. Most burrowing creatures do not leave behind tunnels other creatures can use (either because the material they tunnel through fills in behind them or because they do not actually dislocate any material when burrowing); see the individual creature descriptions for details.

Doesn't look like it.

Amphetryon
2010-09-25, 04:36 PM
You might consider Ashworm Dragoon (Sandstorm) to get a mount that also has the burrow ability.

Abaddon87
2010-09-25, 04:45 PM
Thanks Chip, that totally answers my first part!

Amphetryon, I've already made the character and he is a barbarian from mountain tribes blessed by one of the minor FR Gods of elemental earth (cant remember his name...) so I already have the burrow speed 20 myself. Thanks for the idea though as the PrC sounds like something I would like being a huge Dune fan!

WinWin
2010-09-25, 05:14 PM
Attacking from underground would not be as easy as it sounds. You would require tremorsense or some other ability to detect creatures though the earth. Providing you could do that, you would no doubt benefit from cover and be able to benefit from surprise.

You would require the 'Tunnelling' ability to excavate an area for passage or trapmaking. Without it, your character is basically swimming through dirt. You may be able to push holes though walls and floors, but your character would not be immune to a resulting cave in. You could still dig your way out though.