PDA

View Full Version : 4e Module Recommendations

Kerrin
2010-09-25, 06:04 PM
Howdy,

I'm looking for some recommendations of 4th edition modules that are of superlative quality in the style of these from 3.x...

- The Shattered Gates Of Slaughterguarde
- The Red Hand Of Doom
- Expedition To Castle Ravenloft

...4e ones that are grand, sweeping adventures of outstanding quality that cover a span of several levels. Like the ones above from 3.x.

I've gone to several sites to read reviews and I haven't come across any 4e modules that seem to measure up, based on the reviews I've read.

Any recommendations from The Playground? Are there any 4e modules like, and as good as the, 3.x ones above?

Colmarr
2010-09-25, 09:29 PM
All of the H-P-E modules span a few levels, generally taking the PCs up 2 or 3 levels during the course of the module.

Unfortunately, none of them are considered stellar.

The 4e module that has garnered the most gamerpraise is HS1 Slaying Stone, but it is for level 1 and isn't really big enough to see the party level up.

I've heard good things about Revenge of the Giants (levels 12-16) but haven't personally played it so can't offer a personal opinion.

gurban
2010-09-26, 12:51 AM
I'm running the Slaying Stone right now. My players will level up during the adventure, although, I think PCs should level up between sessions or extended rests only. It is a great module and sets you up to take off in many directions after the quest is complete. I'm going to try to herd the PCs into reestablishing the overrun town, as a long term quest.

DonEsteban
2010-09-26, 07:08 AM
I don't play 4e, but War of the Burning Sky (http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=wotbs) is pretty solid and has a 4e version.

Hzurr
2010-09-27, 10:07 AM
Avoid the H-P-E modules (except for possibly P2. It's a good campaign, but I don't think it's what you're looking for).

I've heard good things about HS1, but again, not sure if it's what you're looking for.

You might try the Scales of War adventure path in DDI. My understanding is that the lower levels are a bit "meh" but that it gets really good as you progress into the higher levels.

In general, 4E seems to have a bunch of "good" modules, but I haven't seen any that are truely "great."

"Revenge of the Giants" sounds like the type of module you're looking for, but again, it's supposed to be good, but not great. You may be able to take it and tweak it to your own needs, though.

The Tomb of Horrors module was also recently released, but rather than having 1 continuing adventure, it's bits and pieces that you're meant to incorporate into your own campaign. (If I remember correctly, the first part is set for level 10, second part is level 13, third part is level 17, 4th part is 20 or 21? Something like that). It's supposed to be good, but again, don't think it's what you're looking for, but may be worth investigating.

Galdor Miriel
2010-09-27, 10:36 AM
We played the keep of the shadowfell. as a dm I changed things up a bit, allowed the actions of the pcs to alter the adventure, added a few characters and adlibbed a few bits. In the end what many people claim to be a meh adventure was a bunch of fun.

Can't reccomend anything else as all our other play in 4e has been made up modules.

Good luck, and get back to the playground if you find a stellar module. Though in my opinion the dm will count for a lot in making a module really kick ass.

gurban
2010-09-27, 12:00 PM
I don't play 4e, but War of the Burning Sky (http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=wotbs) is pretty solid and has a 4e version.

That is true. I played a hefty amount of that campaign before the DM moved. Pretty epic. Good battles, and ones that were meaningful to the plot, along with plenty of opportunitites to seriously roleplay. Several sessions had no dice rolling, and that was by choice.

Kerrin
2010-09-27, 11:31 PM
Thanks bunches for the comments and recommendations!

If I find anything super stellar I'll be sure to come back and comment.

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-27, 11:48 PM
I'm running the Tomb of Horrors super adventure and it can be played as individual chapters, it even includes plot hooks and recomendations if you don't want to play it from beginning to end.

So far, it's very, very good.