PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Timeless Body

Shade Kerrin
2010-09-25, 06:57 PM
So I'm designing an immortal character, and I am looking for a rules-legal method of negating age penalties. So, what methods are there of pulling this off with the least amount of effort?

Flickerdart
2010-09-25, 06:58 PM
So I'm designing an immortal character, and I am looking for a rules-legal method of negating age penalties. So, what methods are there of pulling this off with the least amount of effort?
Elan or Warforged as a race are the easiest (0 LA). Necropolitan template is second easiest. Dragonwrought kobolds are easy too, but cheesy.

Lysander
2010-09-25, 07:02 PM
A druid that has a pact with a fellow druid to reincarnate each other every time they die or get old.

Greenish
2010-09-25, 07:17 PM
Elan or Warforged as a race are the easiest (0 LA).Elan have aging penalties, even though they don't die of old age. Warforged get to middle-aged, too.

Dragonwrought works, obviously.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-25, 07:20 PM
Wedded to History, Dragon magazine. You become immortal as far as age is concerned. Can only be taken at first level, also brings a list of minor benefits to choose from.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0

Frosty
2010-09-25, 11:06 PM
Wait, Warforged have age categories?

NEO|Phyte
2010-09-25, 11:36 PM
Wait, Warforged have age categories?

only up to middle-aged.

Marnath
2010-09-25, 11:40 PM
only up to middle-aged.

And even then according to the fluff that's only a theoretical thing. The oldest warforged in Ebberon is 33, and they theorize after 150 years a warforged might show some wear. Feel free to disregard that.

Claudius Maximus
2010-09-25, 11:45 PM
Wait, Dragonwrought Kobolds aren't immortal. They have a max age based on charisma.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-26, 12:47 AM
Wait, Dragonwrought Kobolds aren't immortal. They have a max age based on charisma.

But as they age, their charisma rises, right? So they age to the next category (say middle age), cha goes up, giving them a new higher max age. Using this new higher max age, you recalculate each of their age categories, and discover that using the new numbers, they haven't actually hit their next age category (it's now X years in the future). Since he's not actually old enough to be middle age, he drops back to adult, which causes a reduction in charisma....

That can't be right! :smalleek:
So how does max age get calculated for dragonwrought kobolds?

Zaydos
2010-09-26, 12:53 AM
But as they age, their charisma rises, right? So they age to the next category (say middle age), cha goes up, giving them a new higher max age. Using this new higher max age, you recalculate each of their age categories, and discover that using the new numbers, they haven't actually hit their next age category (it's now X years in the future). Since he's not actually old enough to be middle age, he drops back to adult, which causes a reduction in charisma....

That can't be right! :smalleek:
So how does max age get calculated for dragonwrought kobolds?

Venerable + Charisma (might be Charisma modifier) x (number determined by whether you have chromatic or metallic heritage).

As age categories are calculated off of when you reach venerable and not your absolute maximum no recalculation is needed.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-26, 12:59 AM
So it might take a dragonwrought 30 years to reach venerable, but using that calculation, if he's got a high charisma, he might not die of old age for another 80 years?
Used random numbers as examples, don't lynch me for making stuff up...

Andion Isurand
2010-09-26, 01:11 AM
You could look at the "Kissed By The Ages" spell in Dragon 354.

senrath
2010-09-26, 01:23 AM
So it might take a dragonwrought 30 years to reach venerable, but using that calculation, if he's got a high charisma, he might not die of old age for another 80 years?
Used random numbers as examples, don't lynch me for making stuff up...

Yes, although the venerable age is off. Kobolds reach Venerable at 120 years of age. Their max age is 120 + Cha score. If they're a Chromatic Dragonwrought, it's 120 + (Cha score * 5). If they're a Metallic Dragonwrought, it's 120 + (Cha score * 10).

For instance, a Dragonwrought kobold that I'm playing started at 122 years of age, and will live at least another 88 years, assuming nothing kills him.

Greenish
2010-09-26, 02:35 AM
Wait, Dragonwrought Kobolds aren't immortal. They have a max age based on charisma.That's OK, for the OP is looking for ways to negate aging penalties, which leads me to assume he has already figured a way to not to die.

Shade Kerrin
2010-09-26, 02:46 AM
Wedded to History, Dragon magazine. You become immortal as far as age is concerned. Can only be taken at first level, also brings a list of minor benefits to choose from.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996.0

This should cover my plans, thanks.
The original plan was to use Elan for the survivability, and find the cheapest way to negate the aging penalties

Hague
2010-09-26, 02:44 PM
Well, Eldritch Disciple gets a version of Timeless Body that does not include the "Die when their time is up" caveat. Though, I'd rather not advance that far into that PrC.