PDA

View Full Version : De-stress?

Syka
2010-09-25, 08:44 PM
So, apparently my body is manifesting it's stress load by irritating/inflaming my intestines (specifically, the doctor said they were "overactive") and causing me to get stabbing pains in my abdomen.

Doc says I need to start exercising and relaxing- some sort of regular exercise, meditation, yoga, something.

Problem: The reason I'm stressed in the first place is lack of time. :smalleek: I'm a full time MBA student in school four days a week, work part time, have a research assistantship (currently on hiatus for midterms, might drop permanently due to this health thing), and have to juggle family and boyfriend commitments (clean around the house, clean my hamsters cage, help plan my sister's wedding, not ignore my boyfriend, etc).

I've already dropped an internship that I did over the summer which was supposed to continue indefinitely.

So...tips how to squeeze exercise/meditation/etc in to an already very busy schedule?

EDIT: I should add, I was offered sedatives reluctantly but declined. It would help my digestive system, but I don't want the fogginess. It's not any sort of dangerous thing yet, but it could turn in to, like, an ulcer or something later on. Trying to avoid that, lol.

I also have a script for some bloodwork to get done in a few weeks if I don't get better. He said it MIGHT be a virus or some such, but at this point he thinks it's fairly unlikely.

Rae Artemi
2010-09-25, 08:54 PM
I'm not very good with this stuff, but have you considered taking up yoga/meditation/etc. with your boyfriend?

Thajocoth
2010-09-25, 08:56 PM
Hmm... Is meditation actually going to work to de-stress you if you do manage to fit it in? With a packed schedule, you're likely to be thinking the whole time of what else you could be getting done.

I know someone else who had major stress-induced physical issues. It seemed to be from her constantly packed schedule and debts, both business and personal, of over $500,000. They lightened up though after she divorced one guy and started dating another. The guy she was married to was the biggest cause of her stress, constantly weighing her down.

Perhaps you could isolate and remove things that are weighing you down. Drop a course even, if that really is the biggest issue. It's better to live long enough to graduate than to graduate sooner, you know?

Seffbasilisk
2010-09-25, 09:15 PM
Generalizations here:

Women tend to de-stress by talking about it, venting to either friends, or a journal of sorts.

Men tend to de-stress by solving problems. Personally, I sweep/clean, or fix things.

Forevernade
2010-09-25, 09:19 PM
Well, I may be biased, but I would suggest sleeping less (6h), and having a nap (20-45min) in the middle of the day? Get up earlier, get 20-30 minutes exercise done, then finish with 10 minutes of meditation!

For meditation: look up isochronic tones. (http://www.transparentcorp.com/products/np/download.php)

For exercise visit the Dethmuncher's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154894)and My (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167485) threads.

Syka
2010-09-25, 09:39 PM
Forever, I've tried starting that actually. :) You're whole thing about sleep cycles has actually greatly improved how awake I am in the mornings. I've started waking up a bit earlier to stretch and do some little exercises, but nothing major...I'll try incorporating meditation without falling back asleep. Naps are, thankfully, possible too. Only problem is I need at least 7 hours of core. Even with naps, it risks triggering my sleep deprivation absence seizures. Poo. Also, kinda random, but how likely is it that my sleep cycle is off of the normal 1.5 hour cycle? I'll go to sleep around 11:15 at night and start waking up around 6:15ish. Happens every time. :\ If I stay in bed 'til 6:45, I end up feeling more tired.

Thajocoth, I need to stay full time right now. If the stress symptoms don't subside, I'll be temporarily dropping the research assistantship. I try to be as low stress as possible. I'm shocked that this is the semester to trigger stress symptoms, actually. Last semester was a bit worse classwise.

Rae, I'm going to drag him into walking. Meditation and such I do better on my own (I've done it occasionally in the past). :)

Seff, I normally read. Looove reading. It's my escape, and why I do it right before bed (puts me to sleep like nothing else).

So...I just looked at the group fitness things offered at my school and I'm thinking about doing Group Cycling on Mondays, YogaPilates on Tuesday, Pilates Mat on Wednesday, and Belly Dancing on Thursdays. I'm really looking forward to the belly dancing...I took it up when I was in my undergrad and just loved it.

I'll probably start off in two classes a week and move it up so I don't shock my body. Weekends will be for nice long, engaging walks. If I can even get two of those going on a regular basis, it'll be a miracle. ;) I've never yet been able to stick to an exercise schedule.

Helanna
2010-09-25, 09:44 PM
Rae, I'm going to drag him into walking. Meditation and such I do better on my own (I've done it occasionally in the past). :)

Seff, I normally read. Looove reading. It's my escape, and why I do it right before bed (puts me to sleep like nothing else).

So...I just looked at the group fitness things offered at my school and I'm thinking about doing Group Cycling on Mondays, YogaPilates on Tuesday, Pilates Mat on Wednesday, and Belly Dancing on Thursdays. I'm really looking forward to the belly dancing...I took it up when I was in my undergrad and just loved it.

I'll probably start off in two classes a week and move it up so I don't shock my body. Weekends will be for nice long, engaging walks. If I can even get two of those going on a regular basis, it'll be a miracle. ;) I've never yet been able to stick to an exercise schedule.

The group fitness things sound pretty cool, and seem like they'll do a pretty good job of de-stressing you, as long as you don't let them become a stress source in and of themselves (which I doubt you will, but some people just stress over the tiniest things, like having to miss one class of a voluntary activity).

As for meditation - which I would recommend - make sure you look at the different types of meditation. It's not all sitting in a darkened room trying to clear your mind (because otherwise I would just fall asleep every single time I tried it). Do you drive a lot? That might be good meditation time as long as you don't let it interfere with your driving ability. And yoga and pilates both incorporate meditation anyway, so just adding that in won't be very hard.

Xyk
2010-09-25, 09:45 PM
I have Ulcerative Colitis which my mom is convinced is a manifestation of my stress. I'm skeptical, but it could have merit.

As for dealing with it, I usually write poems, play the piano, play the guitar, play the sax, or go running. You could try whatever creative outlets you like, or exercise, as others and you have suggested. Maybe run or walk to work, smell the fresh air, etc. Fresh air is supposed to be really good for you. Or so I hear.

Syka
2010-09-25, 09:48 PM
I did group fitness on occasion at my undergrad school. It's far easier for me to get to this campus' gym so this should fare better, heh.

As for meditation, I'll look in to the different kinds. I don't drive yet, but I'm sure I can find something. Heck, I've been known to just go and lay on the grass watching clouds go by in the past. :)

EDIT:

XYK, the doc basically said he thinks I have IBD due to stress, so...similar, I guess. The sad thing is one of my best relaxation tools (forum inappropriate) is hard to come by for a variety of reasons, though it is becoming more common. Ahh...life.

....yeah, right now I should be studying for Accounting. I think this is what the doc was talking about. :smallwink:

Thajocoth
2010-09-25, 09:59 PM
Thajocoth, I need to stay full time right now. If the stress symptoms don't subside, I'll be temporarily dropping the research assistantship. I try to be as low stress as possible. I'm shocked that this is the semester to trigger stress symptoms, actually. Last semester was a bit worse classwise.

It's likely not a sudden sort of thing. Last semester may have created it. When the body is reacting physically to stress, that's it's way of saying "I've had too much of this! Stop!!"

Haruki-kun
2010-09-25, 10:04 PM
I find this site (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/index.php) to be very helpful with stress. Sometimes. :smalltongue:

That one aside... what usually works for me is some sort of artistic outlet. In my case it's drawing or writing. Some other people might give music a try, but personally, I'm music-impaired, so that's not a common occurence over here. Of course, there's also sculpture and performing arts as well as many other forms of art... but those might be tougher to frequent if you're lacking time.

If that doesn't work, there's always the good old pillow-punching. Or punching bag punching. Or kicking. Your call. It's also good for you because then when you go to bed you'll be tired, and that helps you sleep better.

Flickerdart
2010-09-25, 10:14 PM
Generalizations here:

Women tend to de-stress by talking about it, venting to either friends, or a journal of sorts.

Men tend to de-stress by solving problems. Personally, I sweep/clean, or fix things.
Solving practical problems, or problems that would fall within the purview of philosophy? :smallbiggrin:

Forevernade
2010-09-25, 10:28 PM
...play the piano, play the guitar, play the sex...

Sorry, that's what I read... haha

Forever, I've tried starting that actually. :) You're whole thing about sleep cycles has actually greatly improved how awake I am in the mornings. I've started waking up a bit earlier to stretch and do some little exercises, but nothing major...I'll try incorporating meditation without falling back asleep. Naps are, thankfully, possible too. Only problem is I need at least 7 hours of core. Even with naps, it risks triggering my sleep deprivation absence seizures. Poo. Also, kinda random, but how likely is it that my sleep cycle is off of the normal 1.5 hour cycle? I'll go to sleep around 11:15 at night and start waking up around 6:15ish. Happens every time. :\ If I stay in bed 'til 6:45, I end up feeling more tired.

Chances are your cycle prolongs stage 2 sleep, if you get drowsy from waking that early. Stage 2 sleep is already about 55% of the sleep cycle, so it wouldn't be surprising if your extended cycles were 1.75h, rather than 1.5.

Also, see if you are in a Rainy Mood. (http://www.rainymood.com/) I am addicted to that.

Syka
2010-09-25, 10:43 PM
I mean, I can wake up perfectly fine at 6:15 (sometimes 6:30) but if I try extending it to 6:45, I get groggy. Bodies are weird...

I'll check the rainy mood thing out.

PS- You aren't the only one who read that wrong. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-09-25, 11:16 PM
Just go for a walk for a half hour to an hour. That's what I do.

Seffbasilisk
2010-09-25, 11:24 PM
Another thing: I normally keep a little notebook in a pocket, so I can write as the urge takes me, or if I need to get my thoughts down on paper. It helps a lot to be able to write without marking up my arm.

rakkoon
2010-09-26, 01:29 AM
I need sport to relax, otherwise I get stressed out.
Perhaps a relaxing bath with scented candles or something? Watch out for starting firesthough

Felixaar
2010-09-26, 05:43 AM
I cant say I've ever been stressed enough to physical pain before, so theres little advice I can offer to quell that fire - but I will say I applaud your decision to turn down the sedative offer. My advice is to try all methods to keep everything inclusive in your life, i.e. not to just drop stuff before trying everything else. Personally I think keeping oneself busy can be a method of avoiding stress, if done right.

The strangest of activites can reduce stress. For instance some say that sport or running or jogging helps them, but it would not aid me in the slightest (in fact it would probably make me more stressed), except those occasional instances where one needs to release pent up frustration. Hot baths can be good, although they can occasionally feel like you're wasting time if you're too work minded. My top two reccomendations would be 1. A good book, and 2. some relaxing music (if you want to meditate, this helps too).

Syka
2010-09-26, 10:20 AM
Felix, I'm not against medication but...only when it serves a purpose. Like, I get a flu shot every year because it gives me peace of mind (asthma+flu=baaaad). I try not to medicate until I've exhausted all other options in general, though, which this doctor seemed relieved to hear. :smallsmile: I think he's used to people wanting quick fixes.

I also really don't want to get rid of my assistantship. As I said, it'll only happen if I can't otherwise get this under control, given it's the only thing that I can potentially drop. It took a lot out of me to even ask my professor for this few week break for midterms. :\ I fear I'm teetering on the edge of being a workaholic. This is why I've told Oz to give me a proverbial smack back down to earth if it starts taking a toll on our relationship.

Tomorrow shall start my exercise regime. Now to find some appropriate exercise wear....

Obrysii
2010-09-26, 10:43 AM
I find playing video games helps with stress.

For me, there's little better than how I spent yesterday:

Spending time with a loved one, at her place playing Grandtheft Auto 4 without much pressure on advancing the storyline, drinking a bit of alcohol, and hugging a 11-week old kitten.

It helps the nerves, that. :smalltongue:

Haruki-kun
2010-09-26, 10:49 AM
Felix, I'm not against medication but...only when it serves a purpose. Like, I get a flu shot every year because it gives me peace of mind (asthma+flu=baaaad). I try not to medicate until I've exhausted all other options in general, though, which this doctor seemed relieved to hear. :smallsmile: I think he's used to people wanting quick fixes.

I can kinda see where you're coming from. Rare is the medication that doesn't bring side-effects, especially when it's stimulants, sedatives, pain-killers, or the sort.

THAC0
2010-09-26, 02:48 PM
I always have a bath before going to bed. That's my relaxation time!

Pyrian
2010-09-26, 05:09 PM
For immediate and practical relief, take long, deep breaths. Even as you sit down to work on something.

Gem Flower
2010-09-26, 05:30 PM
Make a schedule and organize your time. You'd be surprised how many hours are in the waking day. If you have a schedule that applies to each specific day and you keep to it regularly, you will probably be able to find time to meditate, do some yoga poses, or do really whatever relaxes you. (Ex. I combine writing and yoga.) Even if you can't find time for the specific relaxing methods, just keeping to a schedule will help you sleep, which will help your stress problems.

onthetown
2010-09-26, 08:38 PM
The sedatives would be good to at least have around. You could take them right before you go to bed so that you have an easier time getting to sleep without pain, because getting the right amount of sleep helps with all kinds of health issues.

Otherwise, I'd take some time to hang out with the boyfriend and just relax. Everybody needs a "mental health day" once in awhile, and it's legitimate reason for this situation.

Syka
2010-09-26, 09:01 PM
Make a schedule and organize your time. You'd be surprised how many hours are in the waking day. If you have a schedule that applies to each specific day and you keep to it regularly, you will probably be able to find time to meditate, do some yoga poses, or do really whatever relaxes you. (Ex. I combine writing and yoga.) Even if you can't find time for the specific relaxing methods, just keeping to a schedule will help you sleep, which will help your stress problems.

That's actually probably a good idea. I kind of proportion stuff out in my mind, but a schedule might be good. :)

The sedatives would be good to at least have around. You could take them right before you go to bed so that you have an easier time getting to sleep without pain, because getting the right amount of sleep helps with all kinds of health issues.

Otherwise, I'd take some time to hang out with the boyfriend and just relax. Everybody needs a "mental health day" once in awhile, and it's legitimate reason for this situation.

I don't like stuff that messes with me. The pain is so intermittent and it's not even severe. Like, on a pain scale I'd put it at- maybe- a 2ish. My menstrual cramps were about 8ish, for comparison. So it's small beans. I'm already sleeping better than I have in the past, so getting to sleep isn't even an issue (I'm generally laying down reading less than 10-15 minutes before conking out). I'm anal about sleeping enough for the aforementioned seizure problem.

I'm trying to do that right now. I've been taking copious breaks whilst studying to cuddle and so far it seems to be helping me. Haven't had any pain today, and nausea has been pretty mild.

xPANCAKEx
2010-09-26, 09:01 PM
talk 30 minutes less to post on her a day and do some ligh calesthenics

LCR
2010-09-28, 12:44 PM
I'm not saying your pain is not stress connected, but then the medical community thought stress caused ulcers for years until they discovered that it is actually caused by bacteria. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicobacter_pylori)
So before you start to make life style changes like giving up your job, wait for the blood work and maybe get a second opinion.
Reducing your stress by taking up yoga or meditation will never hurt, though.

Syka
2010-09-28, 01:12 PM
My mom had/has H. Pylori. It's why he gave me the script for blood tests. :) I'm pretty sure the pain is stress connected, though. Sunday/Monday I had some nausa but no pain and no flatulence. This morning, and at least once since, I've gotten the pain along with a lot more flatulence and some more nasuae. Tonight is my first Accounting test*, and I don't think it's a coincidence.

His actual suspicion is that it's IBS**, not an ulcer. During periods of stress I've had other symptoms of IBS, but this is only the second time in 2ish years it's actually been weird enough to where I'd want to see a doctor. The first time I'm pretty sure I was tested for H. Pylori and it came back negative.

*It's one of those classes for my MBA that is "Pass this or you're sticking around for 8 more months than you planned!"

**Just discovered that another name for it is "Spastic Colon". :smallbiggrin: I've got pretty much a textbook case of IBS, if you look at the symptoms. The symptoms have also gotten worse the more I've gotten stressed, and tend to subside when I'm not, and they don't seem to be strongly tied to any food I'm eating.

prufock
2010-09-28, 01:30 PM
Minimizing your commitments is the best, though possibly most difficult, way to eliminate stress when you are stretched for time.

I'm a full time MBA student in school four days a week, work part time, have a research assistantship (currently on hiatus for midterms, might drop permanently due to this health thing), and have to juggle family and boyfriend commitments (clean around the house, clean my hamsters cage, help plan my sister's wedding, not ignore my boyfriend, etc).

Do you need to be in school full time? Can you cut down the number of courses you're doing?
Can you decrease your shifts at work?
You can't exactly let the house go to rot or let the hamster live in its filth, but how much time are these activities taking up? How much cleaning do you need to do in the run of a week?
Can you reign back your involvement in the wedding plans?
Can you see the boyfriend less often?

Figure out the 4 or 5 things you really HAVE to do and do those.

Pyrian
2010-09-28, 02:07 PM
I've got pretty much a textbook case of IBS, if you look at the symptoms.IBS is a "negative" diagnosis; it's what they call it when they can't fit it into any other category. :smallbiggrin: We call it "I Be Stumped".

Syka
2010-09-28, 02:29 PM
Minimizing your commitments is the best, though possibly most difficult, way to eliminate stress when you are stretched for time.

Do you need to be in school full time? Can you cut down the number of courses you're doing? Yes; no. I won't lose my dependency for this semester, but if I don't finish next spring, I think I'll lose my dependency (ie, the reason I'm able to get my Masters) due to age.
Can you decrease your shifts at work? No. Already only working one day a week. My managers are lovely people who've worked with my schedule.
You can't exactly let the house go to rot or let the hamster live in its filth, but how much time are these activities taking up? How much cleaning do you need to do in the run of a week? Not an insane amount of time, but we're also trying to get rid of a lot of stuff. And I have a lot of paperwork and stuff I need to get rid of.
Can you reign back your involvement in the wedding plans? Currently trying to. I'm the maid of honor and my sister picked the worst possible time to get married (not kidding...it's only 2 or so weeks after she graduates, on New Years Day...--' So she's not even really around, and I end up dragged along to do stuff.)
Can you see the boyfriend less often? I'm already pretty limited in how much I see him (maybe an hour or two at night during the week, and a few hours a day on the weekend), and when I do I'm normally doing homework. I've minimized this one about as much as I can without sacrificing the relationship, lol.

Figure out the 4 or 5 things you really HAVE to do and do those.

Pyrian, pretty much. :smallbiggrin: Basically what happened is the summer before the semester I graduated undergrad, my mom was hospitalized suddenly for a few days. Turned out she had H. Pylori, but first they thought it was a heart attack and then gallstones. My digestive system just went to crap after that. It got better for a while, but not fully back to normal, and I didn't even realize until now that when it gets worse, I tend to be stressed out. It's just never really been as...distracting as it is at the moment.

Pyrian
2010-09-28, 02:46 PM
Sadly, a lot of conditions are stress-affected (which is distinct from being stress-caused per se), doubly so of the gastric system in general. For the record, I find Immodium really helps when I get intestinal crampage. It's supposed to just be for diarrhea, but it's basically a relaxant, as I understand it.

Syka
2010-09-28, 02:48 PM
Oz has turned me on to Immodium. It is a wonderful medicine. :smallsmile: Thanks for the tip, though. It is very appreciated.

Darn the gastrointestinal system being so finicky.

Keld Denar
2010-09-28, 02:48 PM
Eat MOAR yogurt? Esp the probiotic stuffs...

Syka
2010-09-29, 03:20 PM
Eat MOAR yogurt? Esp the probiotic stuffs...

This is good advice. I need to do this.

After tomorrow, my stress with this darn group will be over with (yay!). I also thought my test stress was over, but we've been offered a retake, lol. We can't do worse, but I'm not sure it's worth me retaking since I already got an A. Still trying to decide on that.

Either way, after this I'll be done with a group that has been a particular source of stress. My other group is just me and a guy whose pretty good, so that shouldn't be bad. And my exercise regiment is beginning, so that'll likely help too.

Keld Denar
2010-09-29, 03:57 PM
Endorphines are nature's anti-stress drug. Doing things that release endorphines will make you feel better.

On top of the obvious thing :smallwink: you seem to have picked up on (do that more, it helps), things like exercise and eating also trigger your body to release endorphines. Basically, anything that contributes directly to survival, your body tends to reward (nourishment, muscle growth, reproduction). Frequently consuming healthy snacks like veggies and yogurt and unsweetend rice/oat cakes will keep you riding a continuous release of happy chemicals as will short periods of vigorous physical exertion (5-10 min or so) interspersed throughout the day.

Also, are you taking a fiber suppliment? Adding things like suppliments (benefiber, metamusal) or natural fiber sources (flax seed anything) will prevent constipation, while consuming too much can contribute to diarrhea. Consult a nutritionist/dietician, or simply make some minor tweaks by adding/subtracting a couple grams a week to see if that helps/hurts your IBS.

Syka
2010-09-30, 07:06 AM
I don't take a fiber supplement, though I probably should.

Annnnd...my first day of supposed exercise regiment is foiled. :smallsigh: I had even turned down going in to the city for a production meeting on Oz's current film so I could do belly dancing tonight. Lo and behold, I go to make an appointment for new eye glasses and the ONLY time they had available that wasn't when I was working was...during belly dancing. Bah.

Next week then. And walking this weekend (no excuses!).

Syka
2010-10-04, 06:48 PM
giegngipojgmpsgp

Life conspires further. Turned in a paper and did a presentation today. Found out we screwed up citations. Then I realized I screwed up the citations even worse than I had thought. And worse, it was for a group. And just auuuugh. Teach said he doesn't consider slight issues with citations academic dishonesty, so we're not going to resubmit it, but I did ask if we can send him a correct copy for feed back to make sure we understand it.

I've NEVER messed citations up before. All I can figure is I was just so stressed that I wasn't being as careful as I was before. We're talking not only doing it a bit wrong, but in two places I realized I forgot to source it (the same sources were used elsewhere and are in the works cited, so at least it's there). Thankfully, my emails for clarification and such should let him know we really aren't trying to falsify anything and it was really a true lapse in brain power.

It's just more stress I didn't need. I was actually CRYING about an hour ago I was so panicked. I was borderline panic attacking.

In good news, I get to start my Yoga/Pilates class tomorrow! I have a mat and clothes and everything. :smallbiggrin:

Just thinking about taking the class tomorrow makes me feel better. *lets relief wash over her*