PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/E6] E6 source material?

Zaq
2010-09-25, 10:46 PM
So, my group is looking at starting an E6 campaign soon (actually, converting our level 15 game to E6... we're all really sick of the cascading consequences of power), and we're trying to gather up all of the rules and sources for E6 that we can, so that we can synthesize it into something we like. I know of the topic here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/206323-e6-game-inside-d-d.html), but I recall that there's other sources and other takes on it as well. Does anyone have any different links? (ARE there any other sources?)

In addition, a question... how does wealth work in E6? I know that you can't generally buy items that require a caster level above 6 or a spell level above 3, but I'm not sure how fast you're supposed to keep getting loot and magical bling. I assume that the world is not simply supposed to become bereft of magic items once you hit the magic number 6, but I imagine that you're also not expected to keep getting hundreds of thousands of gold pieces like you would if you were actually, say, level 10. Has there ever been a discussion or consensus on this topic?

Flickerdart
2010-09-25, 10:48 PM
I would imagine that rewards for encounters would be consistent with the CR of said encounters. So, while you wouldn't really have WBL, you'd still roll on the chart at the back of the Magic Item Compendium or whatever.

JaxGaret
2010-09-25, 11:43 PM
So, my group is looking at starting an E6 campaign soon (actually, converting our level 15 game to E6... we're all really sick of the cascading consequences of power), and we're trying to gather up all of the rules and sources for E6 that we can, so that we can synthesize it into something we like. I know of the topic here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/206323-e6-game-inside-d-d.html), but I recall that there's other sources and other takes on it as well. Does anyone have any different links? (ARE there any other sources?)

You can scour the internet for other discussions of E6 in this and other D&D-centric forums (for instance, there have been suggestions termed G6, which is essentially Gestalt E6), but no, that's pretty much the entire base source in a nutshell. Don't neglect to download the PDFs at the bottom of the first post.

In addition, a question... how does wealth work in E6? I know that you can't generally buy items that require a caster level above 6 or a spell level above 3, but I'm not sure how fast you're supposed to keep getting loot and magical bling. I assume that the world is not simply supposed to become bereft of magic items once you hit the magic number 6, but I imagine that you're also not expected to keep getting hundreds of thousands of gold pieces like you would if you were actually, say, level 10. Has there ever been a discussion or consensus on this topic?

Since WBL is entirely a construct of the D&D leveling system, and you cease to level at a certain point in E6 (or at least change over to a much "slower" "leveling system", if that's you want to call E6's post-6th level feat accrual), the answer is pretty much up to you. IMO there is no reason to break verisimilitude to adhere to some arbitrary wealth framework, simply allow wealth to generate naturally.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-09-26, 12:22 AM
First of all, read the DMG errata (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a), one of the last two entries on the first page. Most magic items don't have a caster level prerequisite. Magical weapons and armor have a minimum of three times the enhancement bonus, same for natural armor and deflection bonuses to AC, and resistance bonuses to saving throws. However, items that provide an enhancement bonus to an ability score, and pretty much every other item in the game has no caster level prerequisite. If you're using Incantations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/incantations.htm) to make higher level spells available outside of combat, then that won't be much of a hindrance either.

If you have an Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) you can upgrade it as though you meet every prerequisite to craft whatever you want to give it. That doesn't even require any caster level or item creation feats. You could craft your item familiar with a caster level of 20 if you want!

Ancestral Relic in BoED, provided you can count your E6 virtual levels toward its limit, can also allow you to put any magical properties you want to on your item. As long as you can sacrifice enough value into it and it falls within the cost limit, it can be anything you want it to be. OA Samurai gets a similar ability that works with the two weapons they start with, which is based on your character level rather than your class level. One of the great parts of both of these abilities is that if the party would be selling opponents' equipment for half value, you could buy that stuff from the party (and get a portion back when that gets split) and sacrifice the full value of the equipment toward your item. If you find a big marble statue in a dungeon crawl which is obviously too big to carry away, come back after the place is cleared out and hang around for a few days to sacrifice the thing into your item! There's no limit to the value you can have stored toward a relic, only on how strong its magical properties can be. The Samurai ability only limits the enhancement bonus, so there's no limit to the properties you can add which merely have a set gp cost instead of an enhancement bonus equivalent.

Frostburn contains a creature called a Midgard Dwarf, who can create any magical arms/armor, wondrous item, or ring in the game, even epic items, intelligent items, and artifacts. They are "considered to possess the prerequisites necessary to craft any magic item of those types, even if they do not otherwise meet the requirements or have the ability to cast the necessary spells."

Zaq
2010-09-26, 01:25 AM
We're not really looking for ways to bypass the item limits... in fact, that's kind of a selling point of E6. Remember, we WANT a reduced power level.

Anyway, are there any decent lists of feats balanced or re-balanced for E6 out there, other than in the pdf I linked to originally? You know, new capstone feats or tweaked existing feats that fit better into the E6 paradigm?