PDA

View Full Version : the Magus (PF Class)

Castiel
2010-09-26, 12:26 AM
So, I just wanted to brainstorm ideas for a possible way to make the class more balanced with all of the other pathfinder classes. Here are my ideas:

1. Allow him to cast spells from the sorcerer/wizard list, instead of the special magi list. This gives him access to a broader range of spells. This would only be temporary, because they have already announced new touch spells.

2. Allow the Magus to cast a spell as a touch spell a number of times a day equal to 1/2 her class level plus int modifier (or something). This is also temporary, but it will at least giver them more touch spells (they have like six in all I think based on their spell list)

3. Broaden the weapons they can use in spell combat. allow for shields, and dual wielding.

4. Another thing I just thought of would be to make spell strike be a standard action, and spell combat a full round action. This way both would have their use, but this might weaken spell combat and the class as a whole.

I haven;t though about this much, these are mostly off the top of my head. If you guys have any ideas I'd love to hear them because I really do like the class and want to make it more worthwhile.

Joshinthemosh
2010-09-26, 12:23 PM
1. Allow him to cast spells from the sorcerer/wizard list, instead of the special magi list. This gives him access to a broader range of spells. This would only be temporary, because they have already announced new touch spells.

This is from Pg. 4 of the playtest. Italics mine.

Broad Study (Ex): A magus with this magus arcana must
select one other class that grants the ability to cast spells.
The magus can use his spellstrike and spell combat
abilities while casting or using spells from the spell list
of that class. This does not allow him to cast arcane spells
from that class’s spell list without suffering the normal
chances of arcane spell failure. The magus must be at least
6th level before selecting this arcana.

If you house rule this to make it so that it doesn't suffer Arcane Spell Failure then the class jumps up quite a bit. Or you could argue that they don't specific arcane or divine and you could try and get say the Druid spell list free. I think I might

Daremonai
2010-09-26, 12:57 PM
I suspect that they meant "another class you have levels in...", otherwise that's ripe for cherry-picking.

Castiel
2010-09-26, 01:12 PM
Yeah, but six levels isn't really a dip anymore.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-26, 01:41 PM
I suspect that they meant "another class you have levels in...", otherwise that's ripe for cherry-picking.

It was errated to mean only if you have the levels in that class. Basically, a Wiz 3/M 6 could use any Wiz spell up to 2nd (since 3rd levels cast 2nd levl spells).

It doesn't let you cast from other class. It is more like if you had the other class then you can combine them with Spell combat.

Joshinthemosh
2010-09-26, 01:44 PM
It was errated to mean only if you have a level in that class.

That's disappointing but a good choice.

Castiel
2010-09-26, 04:26 PM
what do you think about making a new magus arcana that allows them to cast certain spells as a touch spell a certain number of times per day (without casting defensively) this would make them more capable in combat at least, if nothing else.

Edit: If you use a touch spell for your spell combat ability, do you gain the benefits of Spell strike as well?