PDA

View Full Version : Hunter the Reckoning

The_Admiral
2010-09-26, 07:52 AM
I have found a copy of the core book in a second hand bookstore should i get it?

Ichneumon
2010-09-26, 08:00 AM
Depends on how much they're asking. Personally, I'd get it, if only for vintage value.

The_Admiral
2010-09-26, 08:31 AM
how about the rules are they good?

ErrantX
2010-09-26, 10:36 AM
I'd get it.

Hunter was one of my favorite settings in the Old WoD, because it basically encouraged you to play ordinary folk in extraordinary situations. Vampires have the luxury of only embracing super-soldier socialites with million dollar silver spoons in their mouths; the Heralds imbue Joe the Butcher who works downtown and plays softball on Saturdays. It's a much more personal game (even more so when your group plays an avatar game and plays themselves in this situation!) and has led to three of the best gaming experiences in my life. Hunter, more than any other, shows how far you're willing to go with your character the slow descent of morale compromise and heroic bravery.

Seriously, Hunter is five thumbs up from me.

-X

The Rose Dragon
2010-09-26, 10:39 AM
how about the rules are they good?

It's a White Wolf game. More specifically, it is a Storyteller game. The rules are terrible.

It doesn't stop the game from being fun, but personally, if you really care about the rules, I'd be looking at another system.

Lycan 01
2010-09-26, 11:54 AM
I'd get it.

Hunter was one of my favorite settings in the Old WoD, because it basically encouraged you to play ordinary folk in extraordinary situations. Vampires have the luxury of only embracing super-soldier socialites with million dollar silver spoons in their mouths; the Heralds imbue Joe the Butcher who works downtown and plays softball on Saturdays. It's a much more personal game (even more so when your group plays an avatar game and plays themselves in this situation!) and has led to three of the best gaming experiences in my life. Hunter, more than any other, shows how far you're willing to go with your character the slow descent of morale compromise and heroic bravery.

Seriously, Hunter is five thumbs up from me.

-X

Storytime, plz? :smallbiggrin: I'm curious now about what these 3 best gaming experiences are...

How is Hunter: the Vigil, while we're discussing Hunter games? My college group played a game or two of Vampire, and when I found out about Hunter I wanted to try it. But before I try to convince the rest of the team, anybody want to share some feedback on it? :smallconfused:

WalkingTarget
2010-09-26, 12:26 PM
How is Hunter: the Vigil, while we're discussing Hunter games? My college group played a game or two of Vampire, and when I found out about Hunter I wanted to try it. But before I try to convince the rest of the team, anybody want to share some feedback on it? :smallconfused:

Well, one major difference is that in oWoD, the Hunters all sort of operated in the same way (i.e. Imbued by the Messengers) and in nWoD there's a variety of Hunter groups with or without their own supernatural mojo going on.

The nWoD rules in general seem to be seen as "better", but the feel of the games (differences in setting details, for example) are largely up to personal preference.

Hunter: the Reckoning was my first WoD game (and only the third RPG, after CoC and Deadlands) and had some good times with it. The social dynamic of having otherwise normal people who find themselves unable to ignore the horribleness of the world any longer trying to come together and figure out how to deal with it was a driving force for us.

The_Admiral
2010-09-27, 02:27 AM
It just cost 10 ringgit(3 usd i guess)

Satyr
2010-09-27, 02:50 AM
For that price, I would by it, and I have the book already. Would make an awesome birthday or Christmas present.

The shortest description of Hunter is probably very similar to the cover text of a series like Supernatural or Buffy, the basic plot was created by a guy called Bram Stoker. There are many, many "against the supernatural" horror RPGs ut there, and Hunter is probably neither the best known (that is probably Call of Cthulhu) nor the best (in my opinion, the Gumshoe Systems like Trail of Cthulhu or the Esoterrorists, and of course Witchcraft are far superior to it), but it is a decent game.

ErrantX
2010-09-27, 09:28 AM
Storytime, plz? :smallbiggrin: I'm curious now about what these 3 best gaming experiences are...

As any gamer is want to, I'd love to talk about my game :smallbiggrin:

My group and I ran a trio of games in an avatar-style of play (i.e. we played ourselves) in Hunter: the Reckoning. My friend ran the first one, lovingly titled "We Suck" (we weren't playing Hunter if you asked us, we were playing We Suck :smalltongue:), then I ran a whole new one titled "We Suck... Still." And my friend ran a sequel game, "We Really Suck".

My friend's game focused on the encroaching horror aspect of us regular folk dealing with extraordinary situations and our eventual backslide into depravity and insanity, and his sequel continued on this track. In the end, we accidentally jump started the awakening of a Methuselah Malkavian due to all the vampires we ended up mincing, and in the sequel, I ended up going toe to toe with a 5th Gen Lasombra using my very own level 5 Avenger Edge (divinely granted, for those in the know). These two games lasted a combined total of 3 years.

My game focused on the cross-over potential between Exalted and Hunter, with the characters being the mortal bloodline descendants of a group of Solar Exalts. The end of the road was a whole group of hunters being imbued and powered by a rogue Herald (they being the Solar Exalted's sparks/ghosts, the rogue being the last Abyssal Exalt) and how there was a whole secret war going on behind the scenes with the Hunters themselves. The end of the line was that one friend (who had to move away early on in the game) was effectively the angel Michael and (arrogantly enough, yeah) myself as the Abyssal's reincarnation (fully powered) being effectively Lucifer. It was a huge fight between brothers over who Dad loved more, and how the cast aside son wanted revenge by destroying all of Dad's works (Dad being the Unconquered Sun). My game lasted about 2 years.

All in all, we all got to know each other and ourselves very, very well during this time in our lives. Between the hundreds of memorable moments (in game and around the table), hours of tension and terror, more hours of just plain fun... yeah. Hunter was probably the best game that ever happened to me and my friends.

-X

Esser-Z
2010-09-27, 09:56 AM
Hunter's my favorite of the WoD things, because I'm a big fan of badass normals. Relatively regular people who, through skill, smarts, training, and really big guns, are able to take on and beat supernatural evil.

The Rose Dragon
2010-09-27, 10:03 AM
Hunter's my favorite of the WoD things, because I'm a big fan of badass normals. Relatively regular people who, through skill, smarts, training, and really big guns, are able to take on and beat supernatural evil.

Did we play the same Hunter? The one where Hunters got supernatural Edges like summoning blades of fire, did not have access to big guns, and were easily stomped by supernatural evil?

ErrantX
2010-09-27, 10:23 AM
Did we play the same Hunter? The one where Hunters got supernatural Edges like summoning blades of fire, did not have access to big guns, and were easily stomped by supernatural evil?

That's my favorite version of Hunter, personally, right there. Getting the big guns was the eventual goal. Nothing says lovin' like a high powered sniper rifle. It's possible to do so, easier than you may guess.

-X

Esser-Z
2010-09-27, 10:37 AM

The one where there's a variant for playing a non-supernatural Hunter?

(Also, I sort of segued into archetype rather than actual game working. :smalltongue:)

The Rose Dragon
2010-09-27, 10:40 AM
The one where there's a variant for playing a non-supernatural Hunter?

(Also, I sort of segued into archetype rather than actual game working. :smalltongue:)

Hunter: the Reckoning did not have that variant, though. That's only in Hunter: the Vigil, which is a completely different game by the same company.

Esser-Z
2010-09-27, 10:52 AM
Hunter: the Reckoning did not have that variant, though. That's only in Hunter: the Vigil, which is a completely different game by the same company.

Oh, so I did play a different one. I'm bad with White Wolf and their Noun: The Wording names.

ErrantX
2010-09-27, 10:54 AM
Oh, so I did play a different one. I'm bad with White Wolf and their Noun: The Wording names.

It's Noun: The Gerund (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerund). /englishnerd

-X

The Rose Dragon
2010-09-27, 10:56 AM
It's Noun: The Gerund (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerund). /englishnerd

-X

I'll also note that very few of those actually use Gerunds. Changeling: the Dreaming, Mage: the Awakening, Hunter: the Reckoning.

That's it, I believe. Out of those, only Mage is the new World of Darkness edition.

The_Admiral
2010-09-28, 02:14 AM
As any gamer is want to, I'd love to talk about my game :smallbiggrin:

My group and I ran a trio of games in an avatar-style of play (i.e. we played ourselves) in Hunter: the Reckoning. My friend ran the first one, lovingly titled "We Suck" (we weren't playing Hunter if you asked us, we were playing We Suck :smalltongue:), then I ran a whole new one titled "We Suck... Still." And my friend ran a sequel game, "We Really Suck".

My friend's game focused on the encroaching horror aspect of us regular folk dealing with extraordinary situations and our eventual backslide into depravity and insanity, and his sequel continued on this track. In the end, we accidentally jump started the awakening of a Methuselah Malkavian due to all the vampires we ended up mincing, and in the sequel, I ended up going toe to toe with a 5th Gen Lasombra using my very own level 5 Avenger Edge (divinely granted, for those in the know). These two games lasted a combined total of 3 years.

My game focused on the cross-over potential between Exalted and Hunter, with the characters being the mortal bloodline descendants of a group of Solar Exalts. The end of the road was a whole group of hunters being imbued and powered by a rogue Herald (they being the Solar Exalted's sparks/ghosts, the rogue being the last Abyssal Exalt) and how there was a whole secret war going on behind the scenes with the Hunters themselves. The end of the line was that one friend (who had to move away early on in the game) was effectively the angel Michael and (arrogantly enough, yeah) myself as the Abyssal's reincarnation (fully powered) being effectively Lucifer. It was a huge fight between brothers over who Dad loved more, and how the cast aside son wanted revenge by destroying all of Dad's works (Dad being the Unconquered Sun). My game lasted about 2 years.

All in all, we all got to know each other and ourselves very, very well during this time in our lives. Between the hundreds of memorable moments (in game and around the table), hours of tension and terror, more hours of just plain fun... yeah. Hunter was probably the best game that ever happened to me and my friends.

-X

level 5 edge?I read there was only 4 levels of edgesnevermind