PDA

View Full Version : Mindsight > seeing?

jiriku
2010-09-26, 04:54 PM
Can I cast a targeted spell such as suggestion against a foe if I can perceive it through mindsight, but don't have line of effect (e.g. it's on the other side of a door)?

Emperor Tippy
2010-09-26, 05:23 PM
No, virtually every spell requires line of effect. Those that don't are very specific on that point.

Frosty
2010-09-26, 08:48 PM
What about in the dark? You can't see the target but know its location thanks to Mindsight?

Emperor Tippy
2010-09-26, 09:26 PM
Doesn't break line of effect, just line of sight. And Mindsight negates the need for Line of Sight, at least it does in any game that I have ever played.

lsfreak
2010-09-26, 09:29 PM
What about in the dark? You can't see the target but know its location thanks to Mindsight?

That would work, provided you have LoE. I'm not 100% sure on something like tremorsense/blindsense, I have a feeling you can't use spells that call out specific targets in that case, but I'm not sure.

Note that, of course, you could still potentially catch someone in a burst/spread/emanation even if you don't have direct LoE but know someone is there.

Claudius Maximus
2010-09-26, 10:23 PM
Mindsight does not negate the need for line of sight. You would not be able to target someone with Suggestion in the dark (assuming you can't see in the dark) since they have full concealment relative to you.

You must be able to see or touch the target

Mindsight does not let you see the target, only pinpoint it. Blindsight would allow you to target, but Blindsense and Tremorsense would not.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-09-26, 11:32 PM
Mindsight does not negate the need for line of sight. You would not be able to target someone with Suggestion in the dark (assuming you can't see in the dark) since they have full concealment relative to you.

Correct Mindsight gives blindsense not blindsight, still its quite useful as you know the creature type.