PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Feat

Ryuk01
2010-09-26, 06:26 PM
I was just wondering how my fellow playgrounders felt about this metamagic feat I made:

Deadly Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit

The save DC of the spell increases by 3.

A deadly spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell’s actual level.

Soulblazer87
2010-09-26, 06:33 PM
Eh... no?

Heighten Spell does the same thing, only it can increase to any amount and it takes a higher level spell slot. This might sound good on paper but, really, it is apparently too powerful. If you want metamagics that do not take higher level slots, look in the DnD Wikia, I think there's a variant for that there. It really replaces extra spell slots by limiting which spells you can meta.

Susano-wo
2010-09-26, 06:40 PM
I'm no expert, but that seems stupidly powerful to me, since normally you are restricted to the lvl of the spell, having to take highten (?) spell specifically to raise it by 1 per extra slot.
Ninja'd :D

jywu98
2010-10-13, 06:55 PM
Should have some prerequisites to make it balanced. Should also change it to 2 spell slots higher.

Duke of URL
2010-10-14, 01:13 PM
I'm no expert, but that seems stupidly powerful to me, since normally you are restricted to the lvl of the spell, having to take highten (?) spell specifically to raise it by 1 per extra slot.
Ninja'd :D

Heighten raises the DC, but it also raises the spell's actual level, which can matter vs. immunity to low-level spells (globe of invulnerability, et. al.). This would simply affect the DC.

I wouldn't find it too horribly unbalanced to allow it use a slot 1 higher for a +2 to DC, with Heightened Spell as a pre-req.

DracoDei
2010-10-14, 09:38 PM
You need to explicitly specify that it can be applied more than once (that WAS your intention, correct?).

Andion Isurand
2010-10-14, 10:59 PM
I thought that technically, Heighten spell is applied only once like any other metamagic feat, its just that the slot difference can vary.

DracoDei
2010-10-15, 12:53 PM
I thought that technically, Heighten spell is applied only once like any other metamagic feat, its just that the slot difference can vary.

You are probably right, but OP feat contains neither method (which basically work out to the same thing, although the way you said prevents more cheese).