PDA

View Full Version : Spiked Chain Build Races

C_Lee_B
2010-09-26, 06:40 PM
I just started a capaign run by a friend (v3.5), and I want to play a spiked chain fighter. What races are best for this?

Eldariel
2010-09-26, 06:51 PM
Do you expect to have a reliable access to Enlarge Person? If so, Water Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#waterOrcs), just classic Orc, and Human are all solid choices (note that Human has access to a Regional feat called "Jotunbrud" which makes you effectively one category Larger; very, very useful for a tripper and so Human is the best option if you do have access to Enlarge Person).

If not, you'll probably want some Monstrous Humanoid with Powerful Build like Goliath or Half-Giant, or just straight Half-Ogre for actual Largeness (leaving aside the horrifically-overpowered Half-Minotaur from Dragon Magazine; it's a tad strong for +1 even without the size increases bonuses). Goliath is probably the best since Mountain Rage (from Barbarian-dip) allows you actually become Large and gains you increased Strength meaning reach (very key for Chain Fighter) and better Str-checks.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-09-26, 06:53 PM
(Next time you should edit your post instead of double posting, especially only after a minute).

Anything with a strength boost, large size, extra reach, or any combination, really. Half-minotaur is a good one, I believe. From one of the dragons I think? Half-ogre is pretty good as well.

HunterOfJello
2010-09-26, 07:13 PM
+1 for Half-Ogre. You get the Large size, +6 strength and +4 natural armor. (I haven't read Half-Minotaur, but I can guess at how ridiculous it could be.)

If you're more interested in a core race then take the Feral or Mineral Warrior template for sure. Water Orc with either of these is very effective. Not to mention playing a Changeling with one so that you could get into Warshaper.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-26, 07:29 PM
Halfminotaur is so ridiculous because it gives you 2 strength boosts (race, then another for boosting size).

An important note: Jotunbrud lets you count as large when making opposed rolls, IF that's advantageous to you. You did not spend a feat for powerful build. It does not do anything to affect how large a weapon you can wield.
Also count as large when determining if an monster can eat you in one bite.

Joshinthemosh
2010-09-26, 07:37 PM
I like that someone else is doing what my group has been talking about for a year now. After much debate we're down to the following two ways as good starts.

You can go Dex

You can finnesse a spiked chain and done right this can get awesome. Take 3levels of Swashbuckler to get Insightful Strike so you can add your Int mod to damage. If you can find a race your DM will allow that wields weapons at Large size or bigger without a Dex penatly go with that. If not take Monkey Grip from Complete Warrior at first level and you can wield a weapon a size larger than you(this is worded for creatures wielding their size weapons. It doesn't work with something like a Goliath) to help with the damage output. Then you can go on your merry fighter way from there.

At third level it ends up looking like

2d6+Str mod+Int mod. Be aware there is a -2 to hit with monkey grip.

Or Strength

Get a Goliath or a Half-Giant and proceed to trip everyone in a 15ft radius :smallsmile:.

At third level it ends up like

2d6+Str mod(which will be really good hopefully)

Hope that all helps

Eldariel
2010-09-26, 07:38 PM
An important note: Jotunbrud lets you count as large when making opposed rolls, IF that's advantageous to you. You did not spend a feat for powerful build. It does not do anything to affect how large a weapon you can wield.
Also count as large when determining if an monster can eat you in one bite.

Biggest thing about it is that you're still a Humanoid. So you can be targeted by Enlarge Person at which point you count as Huge for e.g. Tripping and can trip up to Gargantuans. Which is just awesome.

JKTrickster
2010-09-26, 07:46 PM
Note: Monkey Grip does NOT extend the range beyond normal; reach weapons specifically say that the double the range of the creature using it. A bigger Spike Chain doesn't actually do anything.

I generally recommend Human because of its versatility, or Water Orc. Half Ogre is okay of course, and best if you can do the LA Buyoff.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-26, 07:47 PM
Biggest thing about it is that you're still a Humanoid. So you can be targeted by Enlarge Person at which point you count as Huge for e.g. Tripping and can trip up to Gargantuans. Which is just awesome.

Yeah, I just emphasize that because people always misread jotunbrud and think they now have powerful build.

I'd suggest against taking monkey grip as Josh said btw.
Strongarm bracers give you that larger weapon size without losing a feat.
[Heavy] weapons out of Magic of Faerun boost your weapon damage another size category without changing the actual size of hte weapon. Though you'll need a feat, or anotehr +1 enchantment to wield it properly, even if it's something you can normally use. You also can't finesse a [heavy] weapon. But really, if you're going for the chainwielding maniac, you don't need larger weapons to try and improve your base damage. And larger weapons don't boost your reach at all. Magic enhancements, and creature size do.

Someone have a link to Person Man's guide to melee combos?

Joshinthemosh
2010-09-26, 07:53 PM
Note: Monkey Grip does NOT extend the range beyond normal; reach weapons specifically say that the double the range of the creature using it. A bigger Spike Chain doesn't actually do anything.

I never said it extends the reach of the weapon. I said it does help with the damage output which it does do

Strongarm bracers give you that larger weapon size without losing a feat

I do not know this item but it looks like a excellent choice. Book please?

Eldariel
2010-09-26, 07:55 PM
I never said it extends the reach of the weapon. I said it does help with the damage output which it does do

Power Attack is more efficient though; all you need is the 13 Str for it. -2 gets you +4 damage with a Spiked Chain; Monkey Grip is -2 for average +2 (difference between 2d4 > 2d6). Not to mention it's adjustable while you're stuck with Monkey Grip.

I do not know this item but it looks like a excellent choice. Book please?

Magic Item Compendium.

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-26, 07:58 PM
Monkey attack tens to reduce damage output actually, that -2 to hit sucks.

Also, there are MULTIPLE ways to get a *better* version of monkey grip through items.

Joshinthemosh
2010-09-26, 08:04 PM
I looked in the Magic Item Compendium and would like to revise and say forget Monkey Grip and get Strongarm Bracers. It's items like this that explains why my DM banned it in his games.

Eldariel
2010-09-26, 08:06 PM
I looked in the Magic Item Compendium and would like to revise and say forget Monkey Grip and get Strongarm Bracers. It's items like this that explains why my DM banned it in his games.

Heh. Considering Monkey Grip is a feat that actively makes your character worse, getting a better version as an item isn't really bad.