PDA

View Full Version : Albinism in the Playground?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-26, 07:27 PM
So, as many of you know, I'm the author of a fairly popular fancomic on the forum known as Murphy's Law. My brain turned on the idea spout again and now I've got two prequels and two sequels in the pipeline once Murphy's Law is finished. :smalltongue:

Anyways, in the sequel, one of the main characters (And yes, he's a good guy), is a deadpan-snarking, chainsmoking albino sorcerer named Demetri Petrov. Here's a picture:
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/DemetriPetrov.png

The reason I'm asking this question is that, in my comics, I strive for scientific accuracy (I make sure that the geography is accurate, I make realistic characters and conflicts to the best of my ability, and I'm going to need to ask a doctor a few medical questions later on), and albinism is no exception.

So, if there's any albinos here, or if anybody knows anyone with albinism, I would like to know some things for future reference, as I'm plotting the sequel now. The biggest deal is with eyesight; I know that albinos tend to have vision problems, but I don't know what kind or to what extent, so knowing that would be helpful.

Thanks, everyone. :smallsmile:

Deth Muncher
2010-09-27, 12:16 AM
I actually have a cousin who's albino. Major issues - being out in the sun, obviously, since he burns at the drop of a hat. Also, as per eyesight, he is legally blind, so I'm just gonna say that's common and assume I'm right. :P He's got what they's in the old days used to refer to as "Coke-Bottle glasses," due to the lenses being so thick. Also, as far as I recall, he's got Light Sensitivity (as per kobolds, y'know).

So, characterwise? I'd say having a hat and glasses, or at the very least some intense sunglasses.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2010-09-27, 01:32 AM
I'm a bio majour and trying to date an albino girl! Yay!

First, there are multiple types of albinism, which vary in appearance as well as effect. From the image of Demetri, he appears to be OCA1 (oculocutaneous albinism 1), which means his eyesite would most likely range from 20/200 to 20/400, although I'm not sure if eyesight is as poor in subtype OCA1a as in subtype OCA1b.

Light sensitivity is a big one, both of the skin and of the eyes. Without melanin to pigment either the skin of the eyes, albinos sunburn more easily, lose visual acuity in bright light, and suffer from photophobia (which is not actually a phobia).

Savannah
2010-09-27, 01:47 AM
I have to say I wouldn't guess that the character is albino from the picture alone. Maybe change his eyes to pink?

Don Julio Anejo
2010-09-27, 01:48 AM
Off topic, but one of my exes has a really cool (but really mean) albino... wait for it... cat!

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2010-09-27, 02:11 AM
I have to say I wouldn't guess that the character is albino from the picture alone. Maybe change his eyes to pink?

Oh, I looked too quickly and thought the eyes were pink. If they're not, OCA2 is probable, as well.

rakkoon
2010-09-27, 03:17 AM
The albino in our class had dark red eyes (almost auburn) and had a binocular to read the class board three meters away from him. He could read from a paper only when it was a quarter inch away from him. He was a pretty cool guy.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-27, 05:46 AM
I actually have a cousin who's albino. Major issues - being out in the sun, obviously, since he burns at the drop of a hat. Also, as per eyesight, he is legally blind, so I'm just gonna say that's common and assume I'm right. :P He's got what they's in the old days used to refer to as "Coke-Bottle glasses," due to the lenses being so thick. Also, as far as I recall, he's got Light Sensitivity (as per kobolds, y'know).

So, characterwise? I'd say having a hat and glasses, or at the very least some intense sunglasses.

First, there are multiple types of albinism, which vary in appearance as well as effect. From the image of Demetri, he appears to be OCA1 (oculocutaneous albinism 1), which means his eyesite would most likely range from 20/200 to 20/400, although I'm not sure if eyesight is as poor in subtype OCA1a as in subtype OCA1b.

Light sensitivity is a big one, both of the skin and of the eyes. Without melanin to pigment either the skin of the eyes, albinos sunburn more easily, lose visual acuity in bright light, and suffer from photophobia (which is not actually a phobia).

Thanks guys. So, uh, what does 20/200 vision look like? (I've got 20/10 vision).

Okay, so when he goes outside for more than a few minutes, have him wear a hat or something. Maybe a spell on top of that?

His eyes are a bluish-violet. To tell the truth, I took a bit of artistic license with that one; I wasn't about to give up the chance to give someone legitimately purple eyes in a non Mary-Sue fashion. :smalltongue: Of course, that means I've got to be realistic with it too! :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-09-27, 05:50 AM

You're trying to date Felicia Day too?

Deth Muncher
2010-09-27, 07:36 AM
You're trying to date Felicia Day too?

Hey now, she's not albino...
She's just really damn pale. And pasty. True fact: I actually met her at Comicon 09! (She's not really that pasty. Just pale.)

Emperor Ing
2010-09-27, 07:46 AM
I have a major character in my currently ongoing comic who has Albinism already.

What I know about albinism is this:
Huge vulnerability to sunlight
Extreme light sensitivity in eyes
Depending on the species, other Albino creatures have been known to experience neurological/gastrointestinal deformities due to the gene that affects pigmentation being close/overlapping an organ development gene.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-27, 07:58 AM
Hey now, she's not albino...
She's just really damn pale. And pasty. True fact: I actually met her at Comicon 09! (She's not really that pasty. Just pale.)

Close enough in my book.

WalkingTarget
2010-09-27, 08:06 AM
Thanks guys. So, uh, what does 20/200 vision look like? (I've got 20/10 vision).

If I understand these things right (I've never had a formal eye-exam that would tell me if I was 20/20 or whatever), to insert somebody with 20/20 vision into the equation:

an object 20 feet from you looks as clear as something 10 feet away would to the 20/20 person.

an object 20 feet from the 20/200 albino is as clear as something 200 feet from the 20/20 person, so pretty bad.

I'm not an expert, but my understanding for part of this is that the layer of cells just above the rods and cones in the retina usually contain a melanin-derivative, which albinos lack. I don't know precisely what problems this causes explicitly, though. Might just allow for easier damage to the retina.

Syka
2010-09-27, 08:10 AM
On vision: Without glasses, last time I had an appointment (14ish months ago), I had 20/400 vision (20/20 with corrective lenses). To give you a comparison, my laptop screen is maybe a foot and half, two feet max, in front of me at the moment. When my glasses are off, I can make out the "Giant" and "Forum" writing in the top left but to actually read the text on the site I have to be about 7-8 inches away. With glasses on, I don't know how far away I can be and still read but it's way farther than two feet.

Without corrective lenses ('cause I also use contacts), I can make out the general shape of objects. I'm not going to run in to people while I'm walking or anything, but I don't make out details- everything is all blurry and blended together until I'm right up on stuff.

I knew an albino girl at university. She mostly had to be careful in the sun, but she also had to have a special diet. She also wore glasses/contacts and all that jazz.

Prime32
2010-09-27, 09:28 AM
I have a major character in my currently ongoing comic who has Albinism already.

What I know about albinism is this:
Huge vulnerability to sunlight
Extreme light sensitivity in eyes
Depending on the species, other Albino creatures have been known to experience neurological/gastrointestinal deformities due to the gene that affects pigmentation being close/overlapping an organ development gene.Is vitiligo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitiligo) counted as albinism? Both result in the loss of pigments, so they'd have similar effects.

I'd heard that albinism usually resulted in pink/red irises (the same colour as the inside of the eye), but that in some cases an albino with a gene for blue eyes can retain some colour, resulting in their eyes being purple.

Exeson
2010-09-27, 09:44 AM
I have Ocular Albinism, so I only know about that but the vision problem mainly stems from the fact that (and it is not know why or in what capacity it acts) melanin pigment is required for the correct development of the fovea. Therefore the fovea does not develop correctly. The fovea is the small area of the eye that is mainly responsible for acute vision, so whilst you can still make out objects etc it is lacking in clarity (basically blurry). This means that glasses, whilst they help with vision, don't go that far in improving vision. (I have a fairly low prescription, but with my glasses my eyesight is still worse than a friend of mine with a very high prescription)

Most (but not all) Albinos also suffer from Nystagmus, which is the involuntary movement of the eyes, which is it is serve can be very off putting.

DeadManSleeping
2010-09-27, 10:03 AM
On vision: Without glasses, last time I had an appointment (14ish months ago), I had 20/400 vision (20/20 with corrective lenses). To give you a comparison, my laptop screen is maybe a foot and half, two feet max, in front of me at the moment. When my glasses are off, I can make out the "Giant" and "Forum" writing in the top left but to actually read the text on the site I have to be about 7-8 inches away. With glasses on, I don't know how far away I can be and still read but it's way farther than two feet.

Without corrective lenses ('cause I also use contacts), I can make out the general shape of objects. I'm not going to run in to people while I'm walking or anything, but I don't make out details- everything is all blurry and blended together until I'm right up on stuff.

As another sufferer of such horrible vision, I can tell you one thing that it doesn't impede: close-quarters fighting. Basically, moving objects that aren't tiny and are only 5-ish feet away can still be accurately tracked. However, anything far away is gonna be tough to hit.

Basically, if he doesn't have lenses, he's not going to use ranged spells that require attack rolls.

As far as photosensitivity, I have an aunt with that issue (she's not albino, just unlucky). She can't go anywhere without a hat and specially-crafted sunglasses. Even WITH those, she gets tired faster than most people in all but the darkest environments, and can't stay out in strong sun too long without getting problems. Yeah, it's BAD. Not to the point where one would trade it for blindness, but nasty nonetheless.

Emperor Ing
2010-09-27, 10:17 AM
Is vitiligo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitiligo) counted as albinism? Both result in the loss of pigments, so they'd have similar effects.

I'm no expert, but I don't think Vitiligo would be counted as Albinism (A quick google search reveals that I did not, in fact, make up the word "Albinism.") I believe it's because that Albinism is the complete lack of pigments in the body while Vitiligo is the degrading of them. From what the Wikipedia article says, it looks like the relationship between Vitiligo and Albinism would work along the same vein as HIV and AIDS, in that the former will eventually result in the latter. The difference being though, Albinism can be aquired without Vitiligo.

Prime32
2010-09-27, 10:24 AM
I could have sworn hearing something about a pigment-related condition which also caused the gums to retract, making your teeth look bigger. Albinism was supposed to be one of the origins of the vampire myth, after all.

Marnath
2010-09-27, 12:25 PM
I'd have to say this sorceror of yours should know Endure Elements. It protects from extremes of temperature. My thinking is, if it protects the average person from 150 degree desert heat and sun, it should more than cover sunburns for an albino. I have no idea what he should do for actually seeing though, aside from the hat and dark glasses.

*edit: His familiar can aim spells for him actually, assuming it's just white and not albino.

Deth Muncher
2010-09-27, 01:50 PM
Also, as an aside, as someone who (sort of) speaks Russian, I can't help but ask you to change the guy's "last" name to Petrovich. Traditionally, with Russian names, you have three parts - the "Imya" or as we say first name, the "Ochestvo" which is the middle name which derives from the father's name, and leads to guys having a middle name ending in "ich" or girls with "ova," and then the "Familya" which is, of course, the family name.

So like, yeah. :smalltongue:

/language rant.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2010-09-27, 01:59 PM
The eye colouring largely depends on the type. OCA1 types tend to have pink eyes, since they lack pigmentation almost entirely in the skin, eyes, and usually the hair (some people with OCA1b can develop hair pigmentation). They also cannot tan (except, again, in some cases of OCA1b) and usually won't develop freckles. OCA2 tends to have pale blue or grey eyes, due to slightly higher pigmentation, and individuals with OCA2 can develop freckles. OCA2 albinism still causes eyesight problems, but not as severe as in OCA1. Similarly, photosensitivity and photophobia are not as pronounced in OCA2. Lavender eyes could, I suppose, occur in either of those types, since they'd have less pigment than pink or red eyes, but more pigment than blue eyes.

EDIT: As for the name, while it's true that "Petrovich" wouldn't be a surname, patronymics function in a very similar manner, in practice; people are generally introduced by their first name and patronymic, which is how they are generally referred to in formal speech.

Deth Muncher
2010-09-27, 02:12 PM
EDIT: As for the name, while it's true that "Petrovich" wouldn't be a surname, patronymics function in a very similar manner, in practice; people are generally introduced by their first name and patronymic, which is how they are generally referred to in formal speech.

F'derp. Thanks for saying that. I knew I was missing something - that, of course, being the explanation of WHY I was going on the rant.

Marnath
2010-09-27, 02:16 PM

/language rant.

To which I respond:

:miko: " What is this Russia you speak of? I have never heard of it before."

Coidzor
2010-09-27, 02:19 PM
To which I respond:

:miko: " What is this Russia you speak of? I have never heard of it before."

Well, if you're cribbing the name style, it's going to be off putting to a segment of the audience if you get it wrong while cribbing it from an existing human culture.

Marnath
2010-09-27, 02:21 PM
Well, if you're cribbing the name style, it's going to be off putting to a segment of the audience if you get it wrong while cribbing it from an existing human culture.

Didn't Bother Rich though, did it?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-27, 06:51 PM
I'd have to say this sorceror of yours should know Endure Elements. It protects from extremes of temperature. My thinking is, if it protects the average person from 150 degree desert heat and sun, it should more than cover sunburns for an albino. I have no idea what he should do for actually seeing though, aside from the hat and dark glasses.

*edit: His familiar can aim spells for him actually, assuming it's just white and not albino.

That's what I was thinking too. And the rat's albino too. :smalltongue:

Also, as an aside, as someone who (sort of) speaks Russian, I can't help but ask you to change the guy's "last" name to Petrovich. Traditionally, with Russian names, you have three parts - the "Imya" or as we say first name, the "Ochestvo" which is the middle name which derives from the father's name, and leads to guys having a middle name ending in "ich" or girls with "ova," and then the "Familya" which is, of course, the family name.

/language rant.

Ah, thank you!

Don Julio Anejo
2010-09-27, 07:30 PM
Using the last name (Petrov) is perfectly fine and is preferrable to giving us a middle name. Patronimic is the equivalent of saying Mr. Smith instead of just John. It's not used except in extremely formal speech (say, with the police) or to refer to one's superior (like a boss at work, a teacher, etc).

Therefore if middle-aged characters were to call someone Dmitri Petrovich, it would conjure up an image of an aging professor or someone who likewise deserves the title.

If anything, I'd change Demetri to Dmitri. Demetri sounds more Greek than anything (original Greek form of the name is Demetrios). In most Slavic languages it sounds "Dmitri." Yep, too many consonants but that's th'way we roll :smallamused:

Emperor Ing
2010-09-27, 07:35 PM
I could have sworn hearing something about a pigment-related condition which also caused the gums to retract, making your teeth look bigger. Albinism was supposed to be one of the origins of the vampire myth, after all.

Actually, the origin of the vampire myth is because in the early stages of decay, pigments go away, gums and other very soft tissues retract, and blood (I can't remember, but I believe it's actually a different liquid that looks like blood) drips from the side of the corpse's mouth.

I would have no way of knowing, but if Albinism has anything to do with the vampire myth, it's that some were accused of it due to their recluse from sunlight.

I know too much. >_<

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-27, 07:39 PM
Using the last name (Petrov) is perfectly fine and is preferrable to giving us a middle name. Patronimic is the equivalent of saying Mr. Smith instead of just John. It's not used except in extremely formal speech (say, with the police) or to refer to one's superior (like a boss at work, a teacher, etc).

Therefore if middle-aged characters were to call someone Dmitri Petrovich, it would conjure up an image of an aging professor or someone who likewise deserves the title.

If anything, I'd change Demetri to Dmitri. Demetri sounds more Greek than anything (original Greek form of the name is Demetrios). In most Slavic languages it sounds "Dmitri." Yep, too many consonants but that's th'way we roll :smallamused:

Well, the thing is that he lives in Runite, one of the city-states in the Kyarian Federation, and while the vast majority of them have Russian or Slavic naming conventions, a couple are Greek. So maybe one of his relatives was from Kytos?

Ah, thanks. That makes sense. Demetri's in his early 20s and works on a trading ship.

Prime32
2010-09-27, 09:06 PM
Actually, the origin of the vampire myth is because in the early stages of decay, pigments go away, gums and other very soft tissues retract, and blood (I can't remember, but I believe it's actually a different liquid that looks like blood) drips from the side of the corpse's mouth.Don't forget that your hair and nails stay alive for a while and keep growing.

DeadManSleeping
2010-09-27, 09:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that one's a myth too, explained by the skin around nails and hair retracting, making them appear longer.

Emperor Ing
2010-09-28, 07:52 AM
Don't forget that your hair and nails stay alive for a while and keep growing.

Oh wait, I forgot to mention that the skin behind your fingernails receedes as well, giving the illusion of nail growth. The same is true with hair.

AKA, what TPAM said.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-01, 10:24 PM
So...Okay, I think I've got it in comic terms.

Demetri has 20/90-20/100 eyesight normally, but he can get it down to 20/50-20/60 with magic, though once the spells wear off he's back to normal. Bright light will disorient him, essentially like the Drow's Light Blindness except that he's dazed every round including the first one. This is counteracted with some sort of garment (Sunglasses, a veil, a visor, etc), or with a spell(?). Endure Elements will protect against sunburn.

How does this sound?

Marnath
2010-10-01, 10:57 PM
Sounds awesome. 20/60 vision is hardly ideal, but it's a lot better than 20/100 so deffinately worth doing. :smalltongue:
Perhaps getting his sunglasses enchanted with the eagle eyes enchantment that gives a +5 to spot. For him it wouldn't provide a bonus, but it would bring him to 20/20 probably.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-01, 11:06 PM
Sounds awesome. 20/60 vision is hardly ideal, but it's a lot better than 20/100 so deffinately worth doing. :smalltongue:
Perhaps getting his sunglasses enchanted with the eagle eyes enchantment that gives a +5 to spot. For him it wouldn't provide a bonus, but it would bring him to 20/20 probably.

Yeah, it would be best for him to have that, but...Well, Demetri's proud of his violet eyes. He wouldn't want to hide them.

dehro
2010-10-02, 12:40 PM

you'd think that as an albino he'd learn NOT to drop his hat, of all things

Adumbration
2010-10-02, 12:48 PM
So...Okay, I think I've got it in comic terms.

Demetri has 20/90-20/100 eyesight normally, but he can get it down to 20/50-20/60 with magic, though once the spells wear off he's back to normal. Bright light will disorient him, essentially like the Drow's Light Blindness except that he's dazed every round including the first one. This is counteracted with some sort of garment (Sunglasses, a veil, a visor, etc), or with a spell(?). Endure Elements will protect against sunburn.

How does this sound?

You probably mean dazzled? Dazed would mean that the moment he stepped into sunlight, he would be frozen in the same position until it went down.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-02, 12:52 PM
You probably mean dazzled? Dazed would mean that the moment he stepped into sunlight, he would be frozen in the same position until it went down.

Whoops, dazzled. Thanks.

Emperor Ing
2010-10-02, 05:12 PM
Yeah, it would be best for him to have that, but...Well, Demetri's proud of his violet eyes. He wouldn't want to hide them.

There's gotta be a reason for violet eyes. No true albino has color in their eyes.

Marnath
2010-10-02, 05:14 PM
There's gotta be a reason for violet eyes. No true albino has color in their eyes.

You are mistaken. Some blue eyed genes survive albinism, which mix with the red of blood vessels. Bam, violet eyes.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-02, 05:16 PM
You are mistaken. Some blue eyed genes survive albinism, which mix with the red of blood vessels. Bam, violet eyes.

Yep. Violet eyes are rare, but they happen, and there's no way I'm giving up the opportunity for a non mary-sue character (Like I'd ever do a mary-sue in the first place) to have legitimately violet eyes.

Emperor Ing
2010-10-02, 05:18 PM
Source? As far as I know, the closest thing albinos have to eye color is this off-white pink.

Marnath
2010-10-02, 05:20 PM
Even if albinism didn't sometimes cause violet eyes, you could do it anyway. Say it's a random genetic fluke from a drow ancestor 6 or 7 generations ago in his family tree. In theory humans could have all kinds of hair and eye colors from long ago interbreeding with other races, with still being effectively all human.

Emperor Ing
2010-10-02, 05:23 PM
A drow albino would have almost identical skin and eye color to a human albino. I think the easiest solution would be for the eye color to be magic. :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-02, 05:25 PM
A drow albino would have almost identical skin and eye color to a human albino. I think the easiest solution would be for the eye color to be magic. :smalltongue:

Funnily enough human albinos tend to have very pale blue eyes, while in most albino animals red-pink eyes are the norm.

Marnath
2010-10-02, 05:28 PM

I never said the drow progenitor was albino....sometimes rarely a drow has purple eyes instead of red, I'm saying that a one in a million shot of that particular trait surfacing in a human generations after the drow bred into the bloodline is farfetched but hardly beyond belief.(at least, my belief:smalltongue:)

Emperor Ing
2010-10-02, 05:34 PM
If you're albino, it doesn't matter what your eye color should be due to your distant or close lineage, it's gonna be off-white. Mammals have off-white leaning to red, lizards have off-white leading to yellow, that's just how it works.

I'm trying to look it up, and the closest thing I have is that 0.0002% of the population has purple eyes, and it's linked to this genetic mutation called "Alexandria's Genesis," which judging from my sources has a 105% chance of being a fictional disease.