PDA

View Full Version : Ghostwise Druid NEED HELP

truekender
2010-09-26, 08:49 PM
Hello! I'm making a ghostwise halfling druid and was wondering if anyone had advice on my build or perhaps another cool build completely. I can't see the campaign going past level 10 and the rest of the party consists of a Half orc Barbarian (I'll be in his backpack during fights since he'd still have a light load) a strongheart halfling rogue and a telepath. I have access to most books, preferably nothing too obscure.

Rolled stats: 10, 12, 13, 14, 16, 18

Str 8
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 14
Wis 18
Cha 12

Feats
1: Animal Devotion
3: Mounted Combat
6: Natural Spell or Nature's Initiate
9: Natural Spell or Nature's Initiate
12: ???

Animal Companion (DM says companion grows with additional HD)
Eagle trained with combat riding (or whatever it's called) as per handle animal.

Strategies:

Staying in the barbarian's backpack during fights where flying is impossible and healing him as necessary. Communicating via Speak Without Sound (su) racial ability.

Using Animal Devotion to fly for one minute and throw fire from the skies using produce flame. Once Eagle becomes medium sized it will carry me and I can launch fire from its back and use Animal Devotion if I'm somehow knocked off of my eagle. I can also summon creatures and use spells like entangle since the range is long enough.

I can be sure that the DM will want me out of the skies and target me. What do you suggest I do to mark my aerial territory? Summoning Hippogriffs might be good.

Troubleshoot my strategies? Come up with new ones? Prestige Classes (can only take 3 classes total as suggested by the DMG)? Feats? General Build Advice?

Seffbasilisk
2010-09-26, 10:05 PM
Races of the Wild has a halfling druid variant. Your wildshape sizes are set more to a halfling than a human, but you gain bonuses for riding your animal companion.

Take that, a Dire Bat, and Natural Bond (to negate the -3 that a Dire Bat has).

Keep flying.

truekender
2010-09-27, 07:25 PM
I don't think natural bond would negate that... It would only help if I happened to multiclass into a class without animal companions.

Urpriest
2010-09-27, 07:44 PM
I don't think natural bond would negate that... It would only help if I happened to multiclass into a class without animal companions.

Interpreting it in the way Seffbasilisk does is a common interpretation. It's pretty clearly not how it was intended, though.

It seems like a pretty good build, though once you're at level 6 with Natural Spell you should be spending almost all of your time in Wildshape. I might actually go for Flyby Attack at some point, once you've got self-powered flight it will be a fun combat option.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-27, 08:32 PM
I suggest you ask your Dm to let you take extra turning to power your animal devotion feat.

truekender
2010-09-27, 08:36 PM
What spells would go well with this theme? The theme being an aerialist of a druid. Flyby attack is a great suggestion, but I think initiate of nature may be a stronger choice.

Urpriest
2010-09-27, 08:42 PM
There's a spell called Cloud Wings or something of that sort, increases something's fly speed. I believe it's in the Spell Compendium.

truekender
2010-09-27, 08:47 PM
I suggest you ask your Dm to let you take extra turning to power your animal devotion feat.

Doesn't it have a prerequisite of being able to turn undead?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-27, 08:50 PM
That is why I suggested you ask your DM to let you take the feat:smallwink:

truekender
2010-09-27, 08:57 PM
I doubt he would since it would give me four uses when the feat says I could take it again for one additional use. That's four times as good as the feat itself.

edit: here's the level one build

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=241859

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-27, 08:57 PM
worth the shot I guess.