PDA

View Full Version : Shining moments in tabletop gaming.

Leewei
2010-09-26, 09:27 PM
In this case, it was more my d20 than me. Yesterday, I critted with my level one goliath barbarian on an elite wererat for 52 damage when entering Bloodhunt Rage. Momentarily forgetting the Rampage class feature, I burned an Action Point and used an Avalanche Strike -- and critted again for 62 damage, flat out dropping the thing in one round.

I announced I was thinking of retiring the character. It would likely be years before he would be able to top that one round.

So anyone else have any "Igor" moments recently?

arguskos
2010-09-26, 09:31 PM
I got a chance to blow the BBEG away with 291 damage as an Artificer 6 yesterday. Streamers, I looooove you so much. :smallbiggrin:

In that same encounter, the party barbarian (actually, a Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Monk 2/Ranger 1) used charges and damage multiplication to hammer a guy with 117 damage in a single attack routine. Sadly, his target had 160 total hp, so he lived.

The Rabbler
2010-09-26, 09:50 PM
There was one game where my psychic warrior/pyrokineticist managed to one-shot four ankhegs in one round with a couple of lucky rolls and great cleave.

Gensh
2010-09-26, 09:52 PM
In my old group, there was a houserule that anytime you rolled a 7 on a d20, you got an action die. Each time you earned one within a given session, the size of the die would increase until a certain point: d4>d6>d8>d10>d12>d20>d4>... For whatever reason, my rolls have always ended up on the low side of things, so I usually got a lot of 7s in any given game. I wouldn't use them, though, since I have "I'll need 99 starter potions for the BBEG" syndrome. Sometimes I'd even save them across sessions.

My Lawful Evil elf cleric NEVER failed a diplomacy roll, not even against bosses, even when asking them to be his minion. Of course, after the first time, the DM just said that the shock of realizing everything they ever knew was a lie made them fall into a coma. Well, it might have just been because it was a high priestess of Vecna many levels higher than the party...

WarKitty
2010-09-26, 09:54 PM
Sneak attack coup de grace on a sleeping young adult dragon. Nuff said. Not my moment, but...ever had one of those moments where you're just so proud of your players, and you know they completely blew your encounter out of the way but it was still so cool?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-09-26, 09:57 PM
It's the final battle of the campaign... it's been a long road to this point, and we're inside a giant walking warforged, the mobile fortress of the BBEG who was both an epic sorcerer also the BBEG from the previous campaign the DM ran. It was my warforged warblade/eternal blade, the human rogue/assassin I had earlier assumed had defected to the BBEG's side but in the end was still on the side of good, the human ranger who was notoriously cowardly and had defected to the BBEG's side, and the human paladin/blackguard who had also defected and was now epic level, and who had a soul-stealing sword and a giant skeletal minion. For whatever reason, my DM ruled that I was immune to the sword's effects.

Anyway, all of us (except the paladin) end up in the warforged's head to confront the BBEG. He masses a paralysis spell. During this time, the ranger defects. I realize I'm immune to hold person, and charge the BBEG, getting a solid hit in with shock trooper. He pushes me away and frees the rogue, who I'm reluctant to fight with because I'm still not sure of his allegiance at this point. He tells the four PCs to fight and warps us into a floating platform in a pocket dimension. The rogue takes out the ranger, and manages to occupy the skeleton. I'm left to take on the paladin by myself, and to my credit, I do a pretty good job of it. Eventually though, it's quite obviously a futile effort, as after about 4 rounds I've done maybe 80 damage to him and I'm down to 40. So what do I do? I try to take him down with me and bull rush him off the platform. Sadly, his fourty-something strength score is too much for me to overcome, and I fail. The BBEG is amused by this, though, and ends the fight, transporting us back.

The rogue is left alone, standing on the side, as the BBEG levitates me into the air and asks if I want to join. In a last act of defiance, I tell him I'll never join him, Iron Heart Surge away the levitation (looking back, I'm not sure this was entirely legal, but we all thought it was awesome), and initiate Elder Mountain Hammer, giving a few final words to the rogue as I fall. I'd long since lost my greatsword, so I use my natural slam attack. I deal enough damage to break through the floor, and the rogue uses the opportunity to escape through it, using Spiderclimb to stay safe. Now, my DM makes Warforged a bit more robotic than they canonically are, so the giant warforged's gears crush me. My body's destroyed, and my head flies out of the hole to land at the paladin's feet, where it promptly self-destructs, dealing... 1d3 damage.

Still, that had to be one of the funnest sessions ever. Aside from one in the current campaign, but it's almost bedtime so I'll type that up tomorrow.

Stone Heart
2010-09-27, 02:43 AM
I've got a couple. Once, in Pathfinder, I was a level 1 alchemist and we were fighting our way into a warehouse to get some special packages. The guy who is keeping the package from us is standing on the otherside of the warehouse, and I am about to throw a bomb at him when he asks if I really think I can hit him from across the warehouse. Seeing as it was pretty far I didn't think I could, so I drank a potion of true-strike that I had and defiantly answered "Yes."

Then I rolled a 20. I rolled a total of 42 to hit as a level 1 character.

There was also the time very first time I played 3.5. I had opted to play a minotaur as other people in the group were playing as monstrous characters. Because of my character choice I disagreed with the dm less than ten seconds into my first game.

DM:"So you guys are Lost in the forest and-"
Me: "No I'm not."
DM: *confused stare*
Me: "Minotaurs can't get lost"

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-27, 09:36 AM
I got a chance to blow the BBEG away with 291 damage as an Artificer 6 yesterday. Streamers, I looooove you so much. :smallbiggrin:

In that same encounter, the party barbarian (actually, a Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Monk 2/Ranger 1) used charges and damage multiplication to hammer a guy with 117 damage in a single attack routine. Sadly, his target had 160 total hp, so he lived.

Did that thing roll its DC 15 fort save NOT to die?

Ruinix
2010-09-27, 01:50 PM
some month ago on a RHoD campaing, we going to assault the Rest's ruins, everyone was making plan but a bell tower was our main concern and suddenly the party cleric said ..

"don't worry about the bell i silence the alarm before the notice us" the all table stay like this o.O

__

same campaing our diplo fluffer marshal kiss of the ninf every goes well with some chat PCs get some side quest BBEG almost turn to aid us a frig lich aiding US XDD

when the lich was thinking about the same fluffer all goes riht with chat PC suddendly hesitate the lich ..

marshal "if u need some time to think about it u can take that room" (after we kill everything in HIS dungeon XDDD)

Gametime
2010-09-27, 04:58 PM
I'm sorry to say that I missed this particular session, but it's still one of the most awesome moments my group has experienced.

So we're fighting a green dragon and things aren't going too well. Two of us failed our will saves and are fleeing or cowering. The frontliners manage to get in some good damage before the dragon takes to the skies - and our two competent ranged damage dealers, myself and an archer, are fleeing. The dragon gets plinked a bit, but thankfully we'd gotten it low enough that it decides to flee.

Our barbarian decides that letting it get away just wouldn't do, but he doesn't have a ranged weapon. So he runs over to the dragon's hoard, finds a dagger lying on top of it, and throws it at the dragon - scoring a critical hit for just enough damage to bring the beast down.

Our DM later retconned that dagger into an artifact because it was just that cool.

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-27, 05:18 PM
I'm sorry to say that I missed this particular session, but it's still one of the most awesome moments my group has experienced.

So we're fighting a green dragon and things aren't going too well. Two of us failed our will saves and are fleeing or cowering. The frontliners manage to get in some good damage before the dragon takes to the skies - and our two competent ranged damage dealers, myself and an archer, are fleeing. The dragon gets plinked a bit, but thankfully we'd gotten it low enough that it decides to flee.

Our barbarian decides that letting it get away just wouldn't do, but he doesn't have a ranged weapon. So he runs over to the dragon's hoard, finds a dagger lying on top of it, and throws it at the dragon - scoring a critical hit for just enough damage to bring the beast down.

Our DM later retconned that dagger into an artifact because it was just that cool.

Woah.

I don't think it can get much better than this.

Daelen
2010-09-27, 05:28 PM
I have to say I love threads like this one. My latest of these was the first session in my most recent game. Playing Pathfinder, I'm running an Elf Rogue, 7th level. During the first session of the game, I manage to make off with about 500gp worth of loot after the party accidentally set a shop on fire with which I bought a new set of clothing and pocketed the rest of the money. Afterward, I became the only member of the party to actually be promised gold for finishing the quest we have been asked to do. Oh and of a 7 man adventuring party, the Rogue was the only one to get out of town having NOT been accosted by guards.

The Rabbler
2010-09-27, 05:36 PM

wasn't this the entire point behind legacy items? (ignoring the fact that they suck)

arguskos
2010-09-27, 05:37 PM
Did that thing roll its DC 15 fort save NOT to die?
Considering that 291 was from 9 instances of 5d10 damage, it wouldn't have mattered. He ate all of it. :smallamused:

Aotrs Commander
2010-09-27, 05:45 PM
One of my personal favourites was with my Necormancer/Pale Master. I traded out my familar for proficiency in scythe at level one, and early on, picked up a keen scythe. (He actually has two, worn across each other, his magic one and his old one with a continual flame cast on it. Invagrion personally thinks it makes him look imposing. However, as Invagrion had more in common with Undead in appearance and personal hygiene - and the same person who thought that covering a giant skeleton in thick canvas and calling it a "robe golem" was a good idea - you can draw your own conclusions...)

Now, as you can imagine, in general, as primaru (in fact only) arcane spell caster in the party, Invagrion had better things to do that use his scythe. (Even though he is passably spec'ed for melee (Str 12, do to very high points buy), since I knew at later levels I'd have all the Pale Master class features.) But, the scythe came out a couple of times, but that was it.

Until one day, during a fairly pitched battle. The front line, held by the barbarian, the Dwarf fighter and my own giant skeletons had been breached, despite our best efforts. We'd got a few buffs up, most notably Mass Enlarge Person. One of our barbarian enemies manged to get into a position to charge Invagrion.

Who, now Large, now had reach. And a scythe.

He swung.

He critted.

And enough damage to split the barbarian in twain. (44 damage is a fair whack for a wizard in melee!)

As Invagrion shrieked at the time: "You. Do. Not. Hit. The. Wizard!"

Made all the previous umpteen levels toting round the scythe totally worth it, even if he never uses it again.