PDA

View Full Version : How would you build this?

Lord_Gareth
2010-09-27, 01:46 AM
I've been bouncing around an idea for a character in my head for some time that I've always thought would take homebrew to create, but in a fit of curiosity, I ponder what you folks would do to create this under the existing rules.

THE FACTS:

- The character is an NG female drow, raised by surface elves on the Forgotten Realms. She has five class levels, plus level adjustment.
- The character fights with two shields, which are her only weapons. She prefers to deal nonlethal damage, but will fight with deadly force if necessary.
- No levels in rogue, spellcaster classes, or gishes.

Is there a way to do this under existing rules? Is there a way to do this well?

Veros
2010-09-27, 01:54 AM
Drow Warblade 5. Using two light shields maybe? Since it counts as light weapons for Two Weapon Fighting.

Feats: Two Weapon Fighting (Duh?) and Improved Shield Bash? (So you can keep the AC from the thing...)

=3 Not very powerful, but flavorful.

Seffbasilisk
2010-09-27, 01:54 AM
Daylight Adaptation to start.

A class with martial weapons proficiency, and Improved Shield Bash...

Bakkan
2010-09-27, 02:25 AM
Agile Shield Fighter feat from Player's Handbook II:

Allows you to use two heavy shields with only a -2 penalty on each attack. Requires Improved Shield Bash and Shield Specialization (from Player's Handbook II). Also requires no ability scores, so no DEX 13 needed.

Put shield spikes on both shields and get the Bashing enhancement on them, and each will deal as much damage as a greatsword.

With flaws, this can work from level 1.

Prime32
2010-09-27, 04:20 AM
Use a spiked heavy shield and a dwarven buckler-axe. Make the weapon component of the buckler-axe a +1 defending weapon, and either enhance the bonus as you gain levels or cast greater magic weapon on it (do not enhance it as a shield). Wield the heavy shield in both hands, using the buckler only for defence (the buckler's AC bonus won't stack with the heavy shield's, but the defending bonus will).

You don't need to be proficient with the buckler-axe for this to work.

See if you can use the "lesser drow" stats, which have a lower LA. (they're not intended to be a separate race, just alternate stats intended to be more playable)

Greenish
2010-09-27, 04:41 AM
Agile Shield Fighter feat from Player's Handbook II:

Allows you to use two heavy shields with only a -2 penalty on each attack. Requires Improved Shield Bash and Shield Specialization (from Player's Handbook II). Also requires no ability scores, so no DEX 13 needed.Oh, and it allows you to use heavy shields (ie. one-handed weapons, so you gain PA damage for offhand too) with just the -2 penalty. Yeah, warblade with that. Shield Ward is also a nifty.

Have a looksee at Person_Man's Guide to Melee Combos (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127026) and [/URL=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123630Guide to Shields[/URL].

Daylight Adaption is a bad option, when you could solve the problem by wearing cool shades -> :smallcool: (Sundark Goggles, 10gp, RotD or Shaders, 1 sp, ECS RoE)

Ormagoden
2010-09-27, 08:14 AM
A couple of levels of warblade, bloodstorm blade, and master thrower seem appropriate. I seem to recall a build for Captain America using some of those classes.

Amphetryon
2010-09-27, 08:56 AM
A couple of levels of warblade, bloodstorm blade, and master thrower seem appropriate. I seem to recall a build for Captain America using some of those classes.

PhoenixInferno had such a build over at WotC. It may have been white-screened by now.