PDA

View Full Version : My birthday and my big decision...

Ormagoden
2010-09-27, 02:27 PM
Although at first glance this is an "everyone wish me a happy birthday thread" Its not. I desperately need some advice and help.

This coming weekend a very creative and imaginative friend of mine has offered me a wonderful birthday present.

He has offered to DM "Any game I want".

Now, as you might guess, I'm a Libra, and have difficulty making decisions when a sheer number choices like "anything you want" is thrown at me.

I need the help of the GIANT!

So pretend your about to turn 30, have played a large majority of games and want to play something fun that you will enjoy!

What game system? what theme or genre do you pick? What level?

HALP!

Caliphbubba
2010-09-27, 02:32 PM
lol gotta love the Libras. :-)

In all honesty if it were me I'd want to play an oWoD Vampire or Werewolf game. I'm sure I could rattle off a dozen other "oh that would be awesome to play" games for a one shot...but right now this is what I would pick.

AtwasAwamps
2010-09-27, 02:34 PM
My dream game to run or play:

DnD 3.5e
Tome of Battle-Focused
Start anywhere between level 5 and 10
Cheesy kung-fu themed.
Everyone gestalts with monk
Everyone starts with one level in badass http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6527724
And every other level is one of these as well
Everyone gets a weapon of legacy of their choice with no penalties and no need to activate the ability via feats…it just grows with them automatically.
Rule of Cool forever

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-27, 02:40 PM
MOUSEGUARD!!

It's like early D&D, except a weasel is the deadliest thing you will ever see on your life :smallbiggrin:

Tyrmatt
2010-09-27, 02:55 PM
If it was me, I'd ask him to run Baldurs Gate 2 as a AD&D 2e module. Perhaps just escape from Irenicus' dungeon as the whole game would take months, but something like that.

And props to another fellow Libra.

big teej
2010-09-27, 02:57 PM
well this is weird.... I turn 20 in three days and I'm in a similar boat.

however, I haven't played anything approaching long enough to have trouble with what to play

my former group I left behind when I moved to college is going to run a (sorta) ongoing horror campaign featuring my first character ever (the infamous planeswalker barbarian)

if I was given the opportunity to play "anything"

it'd probably be something like....

Chaos incursion, (I point you at "riders of the dead" by dan abnett)

I'm afraid I can't contribute to much

but, as a fellow indecisive who has become decisive

make a list of everything you've played that you enjoyed
submit said list to DM saying "anything not listed here"

OR

look at said list, and come up with that 'anything' on your own. or attempt to moosh them all together.

.... in hindsight, it takes quite a bit to make me indecisive.... oh well.

/ramble

Forged Fury
2010-09-27, 02:58 PM
For a one-shot, birthday party?

Steve Jackson's Toon!

gdiddy
2010-09-27, 03:08 PM
Fun fact: If he doesn't run pick something soon, I will run FATAL. I am a bad person.

Delwugor
2010-09-27, 03:16 PM
Dueling Beauty Salons of Beverly Hills, using Risus. I have wanted to do this for years just for the laughs and stupidity it would bring to the table.

My second (and more realistic) choice would be Lady Blackbird. Looks to be 1000 types of awesome play all within 1 session.

Dr Bwaa
2010-09-27, 03:54 PM
Fun fact: If he doesn't run pick something soon, I will run FATAL. I am a bad person.

Don't choose anything :smallamused:

Elemental_Elf
2010-09-27, 07:43 PM
I'd say play something old school that you wouldn't play on a regular basis, like 1E D&D!

BarroomBard
2010-09-27, 07:46 PM
Kobolds Ate My Baby. Or Land of Og. Anything you can play while drinking.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-27, 07:46 PM
If it was me, I'd ask him to run Baldurs Gate 2 as a AD&D 2e module. Perhaps just escape from Irenicus' dungeon as the whole game would take months, but something like that.

And props to another fellow Libra.

I'd play that.

So everyone starts level 8-10 depending on class.
I totally'd go Kehaira (Druid/Fighter).

My suggestion Paranoia.

Lord Vampyre
2010-09-27, 07:53 PM
Happy Birthday!!!!

Yay, Libras!!!

Yeah, its my birthday to this week. Although, I turned 30 a few years ago.

One thing I would have to determine is whether or not this was going to be a one shot. If its a one shot you don't have to worry about the fluff or how you want your character to progress, making the decisions quite easy. Plus if you decide to drink and the game turns into a farse, who cares. Personally, I prefer serious campaigns, and I tend to treat one shots as if they had the potential to become an on going game.

But for the sake of contemplation lets say this game is going to be a one shot adventure:

As for the dilemma of which game, well any game that you play while drinking is always great for laughs. Now, if I could actually get someone to run a game for my birthday, I would go with WFRP 1st ed, Tales from the Floating Vagabond, or Paranoia.

Alternatively, I would go with an epic level campaign where the character is already at the climax of the storyline. This is because, I've been in too many campaigns that had died before ever getting to the end of the story. Now, I would probably play a Dnd game for this one whether your preference is 3.x, 4 ed, or even 2nd edition, the game is fundamentally the same: Kill the bad guy and take his stuff. Although playing an elder Vampire or an ascended Mage in OWoD would be great too, but needs a lot more players in my opinion.

Well, I guess this the problem with having another libra help a fellow libra narrow down his choices. I just seem to keep coming up with more and more possibilities the longer I contemplate this scenario. I have a dozen more ideas, but I think you get the picture.

Have a great birthday!!!

gurban
2010-09-27, 07:54 PM
Does your group play DnD4e? If so, I would recommend the Death Dealer module. Our group played it as a one-shot(it was actually a two shot) and it was a lot of fun.
http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Frazettas-Dealer-Shadows-Mirahan/dp/0981865755

Paul H
2010-09-27, 07:56 PM
Hi

Or play the entire Night Below campaign, transposed to 3.5 or Pathfinder Core only, but the entire party Must Be HALFLINGS! (Preferably from same family).

Better still, find someone/somewhere is running 'Living Arcanis', and get you and your friends to play the Gruntz.

Having played this in a double-slot at a local convention - watching how Gruntz deal with problems was better than any comedy I've paid to go and see! :smallsmile: (Others who've also seen them will know what I mean...).

Cheers
Paul H
PS Big thanks again to the other players & Gruntz at Conception 2010

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-27, 08:14 PM
Another Libra reporting in (my birthday is next week too :smallbiggrin:)

.... I will second paranoia its quite a lot of fun, though personally I would ask for 3.5 since I really would like to play again.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-27, 08:19 PM
My dream game to run or play:

DnD 3.5e
Tome of Battle-Focused
Start anywhere between level 5 and 10
Cheesy kung-fu themed.
Everyone gestalts with monk
Everyone starts with one level in badass http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6527724
And every other level is one of these as well
Everyone gets a weapon of legacy of their choice with no penalties and no need to activate the ability via feats…it just grows with them automatically.
Rule of Cool forever

GO WITH THIS! You must!

JonestheSpy
2010-09-27, 09:21 PM
Paranoia is my favorite for a one-shot game - always great for laughs, and it's not like you're ever likely to have a long-lasting campaign, y'know?

Besides, I can just imagine the Computer having all sorts of fun ways to torment a Birthday Boy.

How do you know it's your birthday? Birthdays are classified information, citizen.

or

Your mission is to bake a birthday cake for an Ultraviolet Vid Celebrity who wants one for their next show.

What's a birthday cake?

That information is classified, citizen. Attempting to learn classified information is treason.

Quietus
2010-09-27, 09:53 PM
Yet another Libra, poking my head in. Only a couple days away for me!

I say, go with something ridiculous, over the top. The D&D equivalent of Pulp Fiction. The more senselessly badass you can be, the better. One-shot games are also good for this.. Paranoia sounds entertaining, but I've also heard good things about Spirit of the Century. Never seen it myself, but apparently you pick aspects (dunno if these are predefined or not in the books, it doesn't sound like they are) and define how they affect you in game. If you get to define them yourself, take the "Birthday Boy" aspect; Use it to do crazy stupid things. The DM can use it to provide big time birthday beatings. Fun for everyone!

herrhauptmann
2010-09-27, 10:08 PM
AD&D Ravenloft?
Looking back, I think I had the most fun in that setting.

Amphetryon
2010-09-28, 02:58 PM
Happy Birthday.

Play WHFRPG. :smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2010-09-28, 04:57 PM
Happy Birthday.

Paranoia deserves yet another mention, however The Riddle of Steel is also worth playing at least once.

Lord Loss
2010-09-28, 06:12 PM
First of all, Have a Happy Birthday!

Call of cthulhu. Using the Blood Brothers supplements, amongst others (if it suits your tastes).

Katana_Geldar
2010-09-28, 06:20 PM
Paranoia, you'll love him for it.

OracleofWuffing
2010-09-28, 07:38 PM
Force him to DM the Superbabes RPG! This might be the only time you can force people into playing it! It's all tongue-in-cheek cheesey comic book superheroine humor, how could it go wrong!? :smallbiggrin:

On a "slightly" more "serious" suggestion, it seemed like people thought that the implications of an All-Lightning-Warrior D&D 3.5 Campaign were worthy of investigation some time ago.

Everyone is John (http://wso.williams.edu/~msulliva/campaigns/john/) could also be interesting, and there's always the extension of playing a normal campaign where everyone's character is john and thus everyone controls every character to some extent if you want your head to blow up thinking about it.

Knaight
2010-09-28, 07:50 PM
First of all, Have a Happy Birthday!

Call of cthulhu. Using the Blood Brothers supplements, amongst others (if it suits your tastes).

Or Trail of Cthulhu, if you like the Cthulhu mythos. It better imitates the horror genre overall. Though Dread does even better.

Kylarra
2010-09-28, 08:21 PM
I second/third/whatever Paranoia. :smallcool:

Shenanigans
2010-09-29, 08:26 AM
Rifts perhaps? Nothing says "Happy Birthday" like a d20-ish system with weird skill rules, sloppy intra-system compatibility, but really excellent fluff.