PDA

View Full Version : Some help with knights.

Infernum
2010-09-27, 02:50 PM
Recently my character died and i will be replacing him with a level 7 human knight(using the Races of War variant). I am looking at what feats to give him and i am thinking of using the Combat Form feats from the PHBII. But I was curious on what the forum's opinion was on these feats.

Current layout
Human:Combat Focus
1st: Shield Specialization
3rd: Trample
6th: Combat Stability

I plan on taking Combat Vigor at 9th level. Although I am curious if someone can name some better feats for me or tell me how good the combat form feats are.

jiriku
2010-09-27, 02:59 PM
They are not terribly well-regarded. What's everyone else in your group playing, and how much do they optimize? If your group is fairly low-power or laid-back, you should do ok.

For my money, if you're going to invest in the mounted sword-and-shield style by taking Shield Specialization and Trample, you should consider Shield Ward and Spirited Charge. Shield Ward will add your shield bonus (and the +1 bonus from Shield Specialization) to your Touch AC, which would normally be a very weak area in your defenses. Spirited Charge will allow you to deliver terrific damage when charging with a lance. Plus, both feats are very knightly.

Infernum
2010-09-27, 03:11 PM
The rest of the party consists of

Swashbuckler1/Wizard6
Dread Necromancer 7
Ninja 7
Vow of poverty Monk 7

I looked at shield ward(nice feat)...but the kind of game that we are running is rare magic item game so if i do find a magic shield that is a different type it will take me two more levels to retrain the feats to use it properly.

As for spirited charge, on top of my dire boar mount that should go nicely, but there will be lots of times where i will be inside and not on my mount, so i was trying not to spec for that to heavily. I liked the fact that the form feats double there benefits when you have three or more of them.

Is there anything else you can suggest?

Pechvarry
2010-09-27, 03:27 PM
I think combat focus would be a fun line of feats for a Knight (at least 3 -- focus, vigor, and stability). But Shield Ward should be a very high priority if you're going the shield route.

Sorry, didn't see your last post. Still, I assume your shield spec is in heavy shields (and I hope your DM lets you simply choose heavy shield and not choose a material type because that's silly). If you're willing to risk the shield spec in a shield which might not be the best, why worry about Shield Ward? It doesn't need to be a magic shield to get the benefit of Shield Ward -- If you have a mundate Heavy Steel Shield, that's 2 AC + 1 for spec + 1 shield block = +4 touch AC and +4 to resist battle maneuvers.

Prime32
2010-09-27, 03:43 PM
They are not terribly well-regarded. What's everyone else in your group playing, and how much do they optimize? If your group is fairly low-power or laid-back, you should do ok.You might want to read the OP again. He said he's playing a Tome class (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Races_of_War_%283.5e_Sourcebook%29/Warriors_with_Class#Knight). :smalltongue:

SurlySeraph
2010-09-27, 03:48 PM
Combat Vigor is nice, though not always worth the investment. Since as a Knight you'll be drawing plenty of attacks, it'll probably be worth it.

Trample isn't really worthwhile, since overrunning is pretty ineffective both for damage and battlefield control. Plus by RAW it only lets your mount make a hoof attack, and your dire boar doesn't have a hoof attack.

Infernum
2010-09-27, 04:38 PM
Ok, so trample isnt really worth it. Should i go for Shield ward instead or spirited charge. I think Shield ward will probably be better. But so far im getting a good response to the Combat form feats so i will plan on keeping them. I am enjoying the fact ive got a big piggy for a mount. Not sure if there are any feats that can augment a mount or not.

Heres the new list of feats.

Human:Combat Focus
1st: Shield Specialization
3rd: Shield Ward
6th: Combat Stability

This looks good though, unless anyone can give me some more ideas.

Gabe the Bard
2010-09-27, 09:19 PM
How about Aberration Blood, Inhuman Reach, potions of enlarge person, and a reach weapon? :smallbiggrin: