PDA

View Full Version : Cleric/Fighter/Psionic Warrior/Warmind

nocs
2010-09-27, 05:40 PM
So I've recently just started reading EPH and was wondering how to best build a character on these classes. Was thinking 5 Cleric/2 Fighter/3 Psionic Warrior/10 Warmind. Probably going to eventually take Practiced Spellcaster and Practiced Manifester. I'm not really good at optimizing, but it sounds pretty fun. Any ideas on feats/spell combinations or better ways to split character classes?

Ernir
2010-09-27, 05:51 PM
Don't take all of those classes. When planning a character for the long haul, and intend to take classes that have spell or power progressions (such as Cleric, PsyWar and War Mind), it's usually a good idea to go all-or-nothing on them. In short, taking five levels of Cleric and then switching to something that doesn't improve your Cleric casting is a bad idea. Taking levels in lots of classes with progressions like that is going to leave you with a character that can do nothing but spam low-level stuff even when it's high level.

What is your concept of a character? This is really more important than what classes you want to have...

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-27, 06:14 PM
If you are going for a Divine/Psionic character, might I suggest Ardent 20 from Complete Psionics?

nocs
2010-09-27, 06:14 PM
Well I wanted a self-buffing fighter class with as close to full BAB as possible. I guess I could just drop the Cleric levels, but I rolled really well for Wis and wanted to make the best of it. I'm also definately going into Warmind eventually.

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-27, 06:15 PM
Well I wanted a self-buffing fighter class with as close to full BAB as possible. I guess I could just drop the Cleric levels, but I rolled really well for Wis and wanted to make the best of it.

PsyWar 20 or Ardent 20. Both do the job.

Edit: And don't let the Base Attack Bonus fool you. They are excellent in combat thanks to their powers.

Ernir
2010-09-27, 06:25 PM
Well I wanted a self-buffing fighter class with as close to full BAB as possible. I guess I could just drop the Cleric levels, but I rolled really well for Wis and wanted to make the best of it. I'm also definately going into Warmind eventually.

Straight PsyWar 20 is going to be more generally powerful AND make better use of your Wisdom score than most things you can cook up with War Mind.

Not that War Mind is unusable, far from it. It just requires some very, very careful planning or it's going to give you some underwhelming results.

nocs
2010-09-27, 06:30 PM
Yeah, Warmind just seemed nice to me for Sweeping Strikes alone.

I'm not too good at optimizing, but since the group I play with has some downright silly homebrew rules (Clerics and Druids both can spontaneously cast anything) I figured I'd make use of that at least a little.

Chipp Zanuff
2010-09-27, 06:37 PM
Yeah, Warmind just seemed nice to me for Sweeping Strikes alone.

I'm not too good at optimizing, but since the group I play with has some downright silly homebrew rules (Clerics and Druids both can spontaneously cast anything) I figured I'd make use of that at least a little.

Why bother with Psionics when CoDzilla is even stronger?

Seriously, what kind of brain damage is required to make CoDzilla into uber-Spontaneous Casters? The only thing even remotely close to that is Spell-to-Power Erudite...

Noodles2375
2010-09-27, 09:10 PM
As stated, psy war 20 is pretty amazing!

If you want to be more flexible, something like:
Ranger 1 or 2/ Psywar 8 or 9/ Illithid Slayer 10 can be fun depending on if you want to dual wield or use bows or do something else.

The soulknife is generally regarded as a trap. I'd stay away from that guy.

I've used warmind on one side of a gestalt like:
Fighter 4/ Warmind 6 // Psion 10
To get extra powers, pp's, full BAB, improved saves etc and be a super fun melee combatant!