PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Rogue Throw a feat in!

Laharal
2010-09-27, 08:57 PM
Hello Playgrounders!

I tried to find a ''character discussion thread'' and I didn't find a stickied one, or one in the first pages (and the serach engine is kinda not functionning atm).

I want to prepare a 3.5 rogue and I already got some feats: please feel free to comment and throw yours ;)

-Assassin style rogue
(not the prestige class but the concept of) i-e based on dex, infiltration,lethalness, lots of d 6's when sneak attacking, unnoticed actions. Not the smart-talk, charm-the-ladies type of rogue but rather the ''I climb a 40 feet tall tower to get by the window, get a guard by slitting his throat, take what I came for and exiting by free-falling or jumping through the roofs'' guy.

Soup of feats:

Martial study (Tome of battle)
Martial maneuver (Assasin's stance +2d6!!)
Improved citical
Weapon Focus
Power critical
Two-weapon fighting
Oversized two-weapon fighting
Two-weapon defense
Combat expertise/reflexes
Backstab
Sneak att. of opportunity
Vexing flanker
Telling blow
Shadow striker

Edited

Craven
Mobility
Dodge
Darkstalker

Prestige: Shadow dancer, Shadowlord, Master of masks

Other: Multiclass with swordsage

Magic items to improve sneak attacks and roguishness ;)

Deadly precision (as a magical attribute on a weapon)
Anything enabling unsual creatures to be damaged by sneak attacks (i-e undead, constructs) ( a few magical proprieties that do that see the compendium)
Rogue's vest
Fleet warrior's array
Boots of Elven kind

Many thanks in advance, :smallbiggrin:

Brendan
2010-09-27, 08:59 PM
Craven. definitely craven.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-27, 09:09 PM
Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8711233)

A level of swordsage for the shadowblade school? I forget what level it is, but one of the stances gives you extra sneak attack. See you already got that one.
Master of Masks PrC, pretty sure a mask gives you bonus sneak attack.

Craven, gives you +1 point of damage per character level, that multiplies in with your crits. Normal sneak attack damage doesn't. (I know it was already mentioned, I just wanted to explain it)

Which version of sneak attack of opportunity are you taking? The one with the [epic] keyword you can't take it until level 21, even if you meet the dex and SA prereqs. And then there's one in Dragon Magazine somewhere.

Oversize two weapon? You're not thinking of dualwielding greatswords with monkeygrip are you?

Cog
2010-09-27, 10:16 PM
3rd level feat Martial maneuver (Assasin's stance +2d6!!)
Assassin's stance is a 3rd level ability, 'equivalent' to a 3rd level spell; ToB classes can take it at character level 5. A pure-class rogue couldn't take it until 10th at the earliest.

The recommendation of Craven is good. Darkstalker, from IIRC Lords of Madness, is good if you're planning on sneaking much.

Laharal
2010-09-27, 10:41 PM
How do you arrive at lvl 10? links? page?

Kylarra
2010-09-27, 10:44 PM
How do you arrive at lvl 10? links? page?
To take a level 3 stance you need initiator level 5, non-ToB classes add initiator levels equal to 1/2 their total levels so, 5*2= 10, note that getting it as a level 10 rogue would require you to be a straight rogue 10 and trading in your special ability for the feat.

Laharal
2010-09-27, 10:47 PM
?? to trade my ability? where is it written p.39 in TOB gives info about non tob classes or multiclassed characters but nothing about trading abilities.. that would *s*ck*

Cog
2010-09-27, 10:50 PM
?? to trade my ability? where is it written?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/rogue.htm#specialAbilities

Laharal
2010-09-27, 10:53 PM
I see.. or I wait for lvl 12....thanks for the info.. less awesome with this new info... :(

Cog
2010-09-27, 11:04 PM
I see.. or I wait for lvl 12....thanks for the info.. less awesome with this new info... :(
Six levels of rogue, then taking swordsage at 7 and 8, would net you some nice benefits along with Assassin's Stance. Six rogue levels plus two 'sage levels gives you the Initiator Level 5 you need, and frees up your feats further.

Laharal
2010-09-27, 11:17 PM
Nice! Thank you for your help!

Frosty
2010-09-28, 12:00 AM
Are you trying to recreate the guy from Assassin's Creed? :smallamused:

true_shinken
2010-09-28, 07:55 AM
Stop. Just stop.
Are you really actively trying to make an assassin type Rogue... without using Telflamar Shadowlord?!
Dude! Shadowlord is the Ferrari of assassin Rogue builds. It's like cheese to your pizza, it's the Paulaner of beers, it's the Incantatrix to your Rogue needs!
But, OK. Calm down. Pick up a copy of Unapproachable East. The book is awesome. It's worth every penny you spend in it. If you can't buy it, dunno - steal it, borrow it, mentally project it on your own and then write it down. I don't care, just freaking get it, this stuff is hot, it rocks, it just absolutely frakking rocks.
Just go. Read Telflammar Shadowlord. Realize how your Rogue's life was meaningless up until now. Then embrace the darkness. Become the shadow!

...erm. Maybe a I got a little carried away.

Greenish
2010-09-28, 08:13 AM
1st level feat Martial study ? (Tome of battle)
3rd level feat Martial maneuver (Assasin's stance +2d6!!)In addition to what others have said, you can't take Martial Study on your first level, because your IL is just 1/2.

Drop Oversized TWF, it won't do anything for you. TWF Defense is a poor feat too.

Take Craven, for it is awesome, and consider taking Dodge and Mobility, not because they're any good, but because they're required for entering into Shadowdancer, which gets you HiPS. To go with that, Darkstalker (LoM) allows you to hide from creatures with special senses.

I'm not seeing Weapon Finesse on your list.

true_shinken
2010-09-28, 08:34 AM
In addition to what others have said, you can't take Martial Study on your first level, because your IL is just 1/2.
You can. IL is always at least 1.

Greenish
2010-09-28, 08:41 AM
You can. IL is always at least 1.Really? I must've missed that, where is it said?

true_shinken
2010-09-28, 08:44 AM
Really? I must've missed that, where is it said?

If it's not on ToB itself, then it's on the FAQ.

Curmudgeon
2010-09-28, 08:58 AM
You can. IL is always at least 1.
No, it really isn't. This would need an explicit exception to the usual "round down" rule, and no such exception exists. If you want to start with IL of 1 you've got to start with a martial adept class.

(By the way, the phrase "initiator level" isn't found anywhere in the FAQ.)

Laharal
2010-09-28, 09:10 AM
Is Unapproachable East considered compabtible to play with 3.5?

Anything else about the feats?

Birstel
2010-09-28, 09:26 AM
Yes, it is 3.5 compatible.

imdmoogleking
2010-09-29, 10:38 PM
Improved attack of opportunity from the Dragon magazine you got the backstab, etc. feats from? Could be very nice. If this is a good character and you're interested in exalted feats sacred strike is nice (against evil creatures sneak attack d6es become d8s, and if you're evil you could probably get a vile version house-ruled in.) If you're willing to spring for a +3 weapon (not +3 eqivalent, actually +3.) you could get a greater truedeath augment crystal (magic item compendium.) which would let you sneak attack undead.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-29, 10:46 PM
Improved attack of opportunity from the Dragon magazine you got the backstab, etc. feats from? Could be very nice. If this is a good character and you're interested in exalted feats sacred strike is nice (against evil creatures sneak attack d6es become d8s, and if you're evil you could probably get a vile version house-ruled in.) If you're willing to spring for a +3 weapon (not +3 eqivalent, actually +3.) you could get a greater truedeath augment crystal (magic item compendium.) which would let you sneak attack undead.
Alternatively purchase the ghost touch and ghost strike enchantments. There was a large argument over which option was better, but I think I prefer the versatility of using the crystals, and an extra +1 to hit's never a bad thing.