PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Races of War (wikia Sourcebook)

gdiddy
2010-09-27, 09:20 PM
This has recently captured my attentions. (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Races_of_War_(3.5e_Sourcebook))

I'm looking to see if there is a popular opinion on this piece of fairly extensive homebrew.

I really like a lot of the fighter love in this book and think it fits in with a lot of philosophy at the core of 3.5. Fighters can do neat stuff all day long and scale more quadratically.

I was seriously thinking about incorporating a lot of this guide into my own home game. I really don't have time for a full playtest, though. Is there anyone who has used these rule revisions/new rules in a game?

Notes: 1. I understand that this is somewhat homebrew-related, but the polish of the book is equal to a lot of commercial supplements. I'm not looking for suggestions on how to improve it, merely wondering about the community's experience and opinions with it. I posted this in General RPG for this reason.

2. I could not find a set of search terms that would point me to any threads on this book.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-27, 09:32 PM
Frank+K stuff= Awesome.

Look for threads on the Tomes- that's what the whole name of their stuff is.

Infact, there's a PDF of their collected work somewhere... I don't know where, but google-fu can find is...

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-27, 09:49 PM
Here's the site with the current version of the frank and k pdf's...

http://sites.google.com/site/middendorfproject/frankpdf

ExtravagantEvil
2010-09-27, 09:54 PM
I've found that many of there materials is at least Tier 1/2, making infinite wishes is par for the course expectation of Frank and K mind set. So they try to balance a game, by making every class a wizard with a better BAB, and less spell books.

Other than that, I enjoy a lot of his philosophical and fluff pieces, adventure ideas, and that essay work, because it casts new lights on the racial behavioral tendencies, tensions, and societal flaws/analysis. That and Tome of Necromancy is my personal favorite, to where you can create a Horde of the Walking Dead at nearly any level, nearly regardless of casting class, and all you need is a feat and 10gp(?) per shambling minion at 1st level.

All in all, if you enjoy Rocket Tag, use all of it, if you want a balanced game just pick and choose, and always, read his fluff because they are some of the best D&D alignment and racial culture "articles" that I've had the pleasure to read.

Extravagantly Evil Rating Scale: A, True Dark Hearted Evil (in a good way): Very well written and enjoyable for many power levels (even though the bias is higher power levels). So use it, and fare thee well!

gdiddy
2010-09-27, 10:27 PM
Okay. I had no idea this was Mr. Trollman. I thought it had his feel. I was on the WotC forums when they banned him the second time.

This was further than I'd ever thought he'd get. I have to say I'm really impressed.

I don't generally like rocket tag, but I think he really captures a big part of the appeal of 3.5 in his stuff. I really like all of these armor and feats, actually.

Thanks for the links and further advice, everyone.

Aran Banks
2010-09-27, 11:35 PM
www.tgdmb.com

THE website for [Tome] material, both Trollman, K, and community.

Aharon
2010-09-28, 04:53 AM
Actually, here (http://code.google.com/p/awesometome/downloads/list) is a more current version than the one in the link mentioned above. I think it features more community material and adventures in the planes write-ups.

Aran Banks
2010-09-28, 11:17 PM
I do believe the first link is all that was intended for public release, and the Awesometome (your link) is extra classes fitted in with SRD stuff that Frank never covered (actually, combat is described in two places. Once normally and once later in "Advanced Combat").

I prefer the first link; the stuff is pure [Tome]. Though I DO use the second link more often now, since it's got more classes written out.

Thurbane
2010-09-29, 12:27 AM
Would the Lightning Warrior be usable as a serious class in Frank & K's system? :smalltongue:

gdiddy
2010-09-29, 01:04 AM
I think it's reasonable to assume their stuff probably has fewer infinite loops than standard 3.5(since they actively tried to break it). This is just a theory, of course.

Aharon
2010-09-29, 04:56 AM
@Thurbane
If you restrict him to normal feats, yes. If he gets Tome feats in addition to full spellcasting, he is probably a tad bit to strong. The lack of a familiar still hurts, though.