PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Rapid Spells [PF/3.5]

Dark_Juggernaut
2010-09-27, 10:02 PM
I was looking for ways to make Summon Monster spells more viable for the Summoner from the PFAVG, and I was curious about how the Rapid Spell feat works with spontaneous casters, and the differances between spells with casting times of 1 Full Round versus 1 Round.

Am I correct in that a spontaneous Rapid Spell must have a casting time longer than '1 Full Round', which is cast on your turn as a full round action, and that a spell of '1 Round' is longer and is normally finished at the beginning of your next turn.

Further, it would be a 2 Round spell under the rules of spontaneous metamagic, but Rapid Spell specifically reduces it to a Full Round spell, or Full-Round action...

Is that right or am I getting something wrong here.

Tokiko Mima
2010-09-28, 12:40 AM
I was looking for ways to make Summon Monster spells more viable for the Summoner from the PFAVG, and I was curious about how the Rapid Spell feat works with spontaneous casters, and the differances between spells with casting times of 1 Full Round versus 1 Round.

Am I correct in that a spontaneous Rapid Spell must have a casting time longer than '1 Full Round', which is cast on your turn as a full round action, and that a spell of '1 Round' is longer and is normally finished at the beginning of your next turn.

Further, it would be a 2 Round spell under the rules of spontaneous metamagic, but Rapid Spell specifically reduces it to a Full Round spell, or Full-Round action...

Is that right or am I getting something wrong here.

Word of Warning.. I don't have the Pathfinder books, so I'm reading from Complete Divine's definition of Rapid Spell.

The important part to understand here is the last part of the feat text..

Special: A spell can be made Rapid and Quickened only if it's original casting time was 1 full round. This feat can be applied to a spell cast spontaneously as long as it's original casting time was longer than 1 full round.

So yeah, you can apply Rapid spell spontaneously to any spell with a casting time longer than 1 full round. A 2 round spontaneous spell when Rapid is applied becomes a 1 round casting spell.

Fun fact, the SRD directly contradicts itself when defining the difference between a full-round action spell and 1 round casting time spells.

A spell that takes 1 round to cast is a full-round action. Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fullRoundCastaSpell)
vs.

If the spell’s normal casting time is 1 standard action, casting a metamagic version is a full-round action for a sorcerer or bard. (This isn’t the same as a 1-round casting time.) Source (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#metamagicFeats)

Dark_Juggernaut
2010-09-28, 01:48 AM
Thanks. Rapid Spell isn't in pathfinder, just plan to use it because I don't want to spend 2 rounds casting Imbued Summon monster spells because paizo was silly and made the summoner a spontaneous caster.

I might have to take rapid metamagic or something...not sure how I'll work it all out.

Edit: Funny...I found the same exact line contradicting the difference between 1 Round and Full-Round Action casting times in Pathfinder...ugh. It seems all 1 round/full-round spells(no matter how you describe it) take until your next turn to complete.

Immediately after that I found that when casting spontaneously with metamagic, and only then, is Full-Round casting activated on the same turn.