PDA

View Full Version : The Forsaken Frontier [OOC]

Pages : [1] 2 3

Belthasar
2010-09-27, 10:46 PM
Okay guys playing The Forsaken Frontier, you may post your character's connections here. This thread can also be used for OoC topics when the adventure starts.

Good luck!

Current players:
{table=head]Player|Character|Class|Other
Calenestel|Nanay Manaq'anra|Sorc/F.Soul/Theurge|Sheet sent via PM
Honjuden|Keribrar Auvreatlarn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242438)|Psion/Anarchic Initiate|Backstory on sheet
TekHed|Kaen Cloudstrider Okonbu (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242291)|Scout/Bbn/PsyWarrior|-
PersonMan |San (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=280493)|Barbarian/ Wasteland Survivor| -
Misaat |Uru (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=281659)|Druid |Shara (animal companion) (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=272665)
abadguy |Fulcrum Anvilheart (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=281836)|Warblade/ Crusader| -
niw18 |Raam (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=282297)|Soulknife/ Soulbow|-[/table]

Old players:
EdroGrimshell|T'aella Ne'cota (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242253)|Rgr/Bbn/Totem/Totem Rager|Backstory on sheet
JelloCat|Elthestral (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242398)|Wizard|
Kumori_Ekisu|Kyren (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242537)|Wu Jen/Blood Magus|[/table]

EDIT: The old in-character thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170439).

As for campaign info:
16:
1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? D&D 3.5

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)? "The Forsaken Frontier," my own campaign world.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? Two to Seven, or Ten as a maximum.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? These forums.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? 9th level is fine.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? As standard, or depending on the character.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? I allow all basic classes and races. I also allow additions of manuals such as Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, etc. Psionics are allowed, but are rather rare (they descent from an ancient civilization), and the same for Martial Power (these characters are from an unique, distant region that is far away). There are other obscure manuals I don't own, so please make me know me before creating something new.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? All basic races of the PHB. I'll also allow Aasimars, Tieflings and Drows as PC races (but with the corresponding level adjustment). Any other races (like Goliaths) can be allowed if the player makes me know first.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? All characters start with 8 points at each ability score, and 30 points to distribute. Make racial adjustments AFTER distributing your points.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Any alignment allowed. Players wanting evil characters will have to convince me of a reason for not starting a fight with other PCs (i.e. you can be an evil fighter who hides his alignment from your paladin partner, or you can be a lawful evil inquisitor, and so on...). Disruptive characters can make things more interesting, but at the end it just ends being boring for everyone.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? Multiclassing as standard.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? I'll use the forum dice roller unless noted otherwise.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. I will restrict a little the use of magical/psionic items, and those found. As a compensation, every character has a bonus feat at level 1 (this is in addition to the bonus feat granted to humans). Also, I'll allow every class to be more flexible (if you have Player's Handbook 2, take a look at the class variants), depending on the taste and objectives of each player (i.e. two 5th level rogues may have the same ability scores, but different class abilities and class skills). I'll also add some rules for increasing AC, saves, etc as characters level up. Called shots rules are considerable too.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? Background is required, either public or private.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? Mainly adventuring, exploring and combat. Not many puzzles though.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? So far... PHB, PHB2, Complete Arcane, Complete Divine, and many others I can't remember. Any other, show me it first, and I'll consider it. That's all.
General environment: (Here (http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2761/bourtenuh.png)'s the map of the region)

Bourtenuh is a warm region, almost isolated from every other region in the world. To the north is the Silver Sea, an endless and stormy ocean which is only calm in the zones around the Mirror Bay.

The Mirror Bay is large, and is the home of 4 major towns: Nulisharg to the Northwest, Tingerhann to the West, Merkhun to the East, and Feloin in an island in the middle of the Sea, between Nulisharg and Merkhun.

Other minor town is the fort-island of Urgirat, a small island at the South of Feloin, where pirates are supposed to live, making the travels through the bay risky.

The zone has many dangerous and mostly unexplored areas, like the Ebony Woods (surounding Merkhun), or the Grasping Mountains (which seperate the coast into east and west, and where creatures like giants and goliaths live). Even dinosaurs and other strange and fearful creatures roam the region.

Recently, Bourtenuh had another problem: Many of the main towns have fallen under combined forces of monsters and monstruous humanoids. Some tacticians affirm that ther must be a mastermind behind those attacks, but no one knows who (or what) is, or where is "it" commanding them from. Only Feloin remains intact... For now.

Powerful adventurers are required. They must be strong enough to face unpredictable enemies, strange creatures, and evade traps (natural or otherwise)...

More info on geopolitics and such:
Bourtenuh has a very active origin. The first humans to inhabite these regions came from distant lands: Mainly Dongkor (based on ancient Cambodia), and Frigia (based on Norse civilization), giving the human race unusual features. Drakkars are common ships, so is slave-trade. Few oriental-based weapons are not uncommon in Feloin (like kukris or kamas), but technology is not well developed (there are almost no crossbows).

Other towns, like Nulisharg and Merkhun, also were influented by the outer cultures, and a little by the Zwartek (a very ancient empire of Gold Dwarves).

The last town, Tingerhann, was originally a dwarven fortress. During the Age of Darkness, many dwarves had no choice but to flee, making the fortress a cursed place. As centuries passed, the curse dissipated, and humans (and dwarves) came to live at that place, which called Tingerhann. In fact, dwarven/human architecture is very common, being the best well fortified city of the four.

The pirates at Urgirat are the remnants an enemy army who attacked Feloin and was repeled. To ensure peace, the governor of Feloin gave the invaders a tiny island as a show of good faith, leading to 100 years of peace. Unfortunately, many bandits took over the island (few of them are monstrous humanoids), and started raiding ships as a profit.

The population is scarce, being Feloin the most populated city, with 10.000 habitants aprox. The other towns have no more than 5000-8000 population. 70% of them are humans, and the rest are from other races (dwarves, lizardfolks, kobolds, elves, halflings, etc, etc...).

Overall, the four towns are independent city-states that formed an aliance 30 years before, aprox. The original purpose of the aliance was to hold the pirates back, but when the monster invasion started a few time ago, the power of the cities was weakened, and thus piracy started again.

Miscelaneous rules:

1. Every character starts with a bonus feat at level 1. This stacks with the human bonus feat.

2. Characters have a bonus on their AC equal to their base attack bonus/2 (rounded down).

3. Characters have a bonus on their saves equal to their overall level/4 (rounded down).

Kumori
2010-09-27, 11:02 PM
Woot! First!

I'm working on making a good chart for our characters. I'll edit it in here in a moment.

Edit:
Calenestel|Nanay Manaq'anra|Sorc/F.Soul/Theurge|Sheet sent via PM
EdroGrimshell|T'aella Ne'cota (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242253)|Rgr/Bbn/Totem/Totem Rager|Backstory on sheet
Honjuden|Keribrar Auvreatlarn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242438)|Psion/Anarchic Initiate|Backstory on sheet
JelloCat|Elthestral (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242398)|Wizard|
Kumori_Ekisu|Kyren (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242537)|Wu Jen/Blood Magus|Story (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9427029&postcount=158)
TekHed|Kaen Cloudstrider Okonbu (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242291)|Scout/Bbn/PsyWarrior|Story (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9436040&postcount=168)[/table]

Edit: So it doesn't delete itself when the recruiting thread expires, I'm bringing my history here.
I gave a shorter version of this to Belthasar for approval via PM, but much will be new information. If you don't like anything let me know and I can change it. This is gonna be long winded, so spoilers will be my friend:

First off, a Little background:
Kyren's birthplace: Dailam village in the land of Durkensath
I don't know too much about the village except for what I made: a little bit of history and tradition. This history as I have written it is no longer common knowledge, first becoming legend, then myth, then falling into the realm of the forgotten. Only Loremasters, Historians, Bards and the like still know these facts in the present age, and only the Loremasters and Historians would even consider that it might be true.

Many years ago, centuries even, in the early days of the village of Dailam, it was raided by fiends. They did some unpleasant things and as a result there is now a fleeting trace of fiendish blood in each person in that city.
Sometimes children are born with some fiendish traits: small horns, thicker hide-like skin, scales, red eyes, etc. These traits sometimes get worse as the child grows older, other times they get better and disappear entirely.

Back to the present now. Over time, the fiendish blood has thinned greatly, but it is present in all. This leads to a random few still being born with these fiendish traits. These are Tieflings. It has been learned through study and divination that there is potential for Tieflings to outgrow their fiendish qualities, becoming fully human in the process. This potential ends at age five.
Known history shows that those born with these 'deformities' are for more likely to follow the path of evil. A tradition now exists where those born with these traits are given until they are almost five to outgrow the evil taint, and those who don't on the day before their fifth birthday go through a ritual known as the Rite of Acceptance (details below). The point of the Rite of Acceptance is to bless the child so that the Gods may rid him of the evil before he passes from this world to the next, then cause the child to pass into the next world.

The Rite of Acceptance
The Rite of Acceptance begins two hours before sunset on the day before a child's fifth birthday. It is held on the western eastern bank of large pond near which the city lies. It is a three step process.
First, a special salve is applied to all areas of the child which show signs of the evil taint. All of them, even the ones in the awkward personal areas and the eyes.
Second, the child sits inside of a ring a candles, facing out across the pond watching the setting sun. A large portion of Holy Water is brought forth for the child to drink.
The belief is that the salve on the surface of all the evil areas and the Holy Water inside the body are what is needed to allow the Gods to do what they must to remove the evil as the child passes to the next world.
The third step doesn't happen until the sun almost finished disappearing beyond the horizon. At this point, the child rises and moves towards the water, jumping in as the sun vanishes from the sky leaving only traces of light in the distance.

There is a special quality to the water that makes it nearly impossible to swim in. The children are raised knowing this is a necessary part of the society, so they rarely resist the ritual. Even if they did, in this water the child would simply sink into the depths.

Kyren's Story, part 1. This, she never shares with anyone. Never. No exceptions. Unless your character would have read her mind, it is doubtful that your character would know any of this. If you don't want meta-game information, don't read this one.
Summation of her childhood:
Kyren was born with a tail.
Kyren's tail did not pass with age.
Kyren went through the Rite of Acceptance.
Kyren died.
--------------------
Thyritief had been watching this town for years. Many years. More even than he could remember. He watched as his kindred were born, lived their lives, and then had them cut short because they were 'evil'. He could do nothing to prevent the cycle, nor could he find his way to the next world. He hadn't wanted to leave yet in any case. Not while his brethren were being executed through this ritual, before they could even understand what they were - before they knew enough to defend themselves.
Enough was enough. He waited patiently for so long for one with the potential for what he needed. When she finally came, his excitement was tremendous. He had much to do then, much to prepare. The night she died was the first time he had been happy in such a time that it felt an eternity to him....
--------------------
The day of the Rite of Acceptance had come. Kyren knew it was because of her tail that they wanted her to go through with this ritual, but she didn't understand why. At the end of the evening, the final stage of the ritual, Kyren stood upon the edge of the water looking off into the distance as the sun crept slowly out of view. The light remaining was but a faint glow, it's source absent from her vision. It was time. She took one last deep breath of the crisp air as her gaze dropped to the water's calm surface. She lifted her with a sigh, then jumped in.
Drowning wasn't nearly as unpleasant as she had expected it would be. It was the water, she realized. There was a mystic quality to it that prevented her from suffering in those last fleeting moments of her life. It was the same as why she couldn't swim in there, she realized as she sank like a weight. Her thoughts continued, gradually beginning to dwindle as the world around her fell into nothing. All that remained was a peaceful sense of tranquility.
--------------------
Her eyes opened abruptly. She felt the cool breeze on her skin, smelled the fresh scent of the nearby flowers, tasted the crisp air as she breathed and heard the welcoming chirp of the little birds. She could make little sense of what she saw. It was a vast wall of green, seeming to ripple and wave as pieces of it moved all in different directions. Her vision began to focus more. She was only more confused when she realized it was the canopy and that she was lying flat on her back in the middle of a forest. She sat up abruptly, glanced around trying figure out where she was. Her eyes settled on a man dressed all in black hooded robes. "Welcome back to the land of the living," he said to her, his voice low pitched and barely more than a whisper. A smile spread across his face. "You must be Kyren. I've been waiting for you. I am Thyritief."
--------------------
Over the next four years, Thyritief was Kyren's mentor. He taught her the nature of things - of the plants, of the animals, of spirits, of people, and of the forces that bind them together. From him, Kyren learned her magic.
In her time with Thyritief, Kyren learned that he wasn't really there. He was a spirit. She could only see him because he had bound himself to her in some fashion she couldn't yet comprehend. As their time together passed by, he showed her to some of the things of his past, allowing her to have them as though awarding her for her accomplishments. First a book, then a ring, boots and a belt, and finally a headband. Each was special in it's own way, and each she was proud to receive.
Those four years changed Kyren. Thyritief taught her many things in their time together, including the destructive nature of the races of sentience. She grew to hate men, dwarves, elves, halflings, and all others like them.
As time went on, Kyren's appearance began to change. At first the changes were subtle: her tail grew longer, her eyes began to darken, and her skin began to feel callous. More sinister changes were soon to follow. By the end of the fourth year, her eyes were vibrant yellow, glowing red in the light, small horns adorned her forehead, her skill was a dull gray, brown in patches, her teeth were sharp and fang-like, and so on. Her appearance had become a reflection of her demeanor.
A little over nine years old, Kyren decided it was time for her to return to Dailam. Upon her arrival the villagers were horrified. They attacked her. She retaliated. They died. Most of them anyway. The last person she killed was her mother. It was a brutal death, after which Kyren gazed deeply into her mother's lifeless eyes. What she saw horrified her: a reflection of herself. She realized in that instant the purpose of the Rite of Acceptance. She realized that it was to prevent those children from become exactly what Kyren now was. She was a monster, a being of true evil. This moment was an epiphany that would change the course of Kyren's life.

Kyren made the decision to turn away from evil there. She ran away. A year passed in which she did little more than eat, sleep, run and cry. Her memory of what she had done haunted her.

She was resting in a meadow by a slow creeping brook late one night when she heard someone calling out for help nearby. This would be the beginning of her redemption, and the first step away from being the hideous creature she now was.

More information on Thyritief. Kyren doesn't even know this stuff.
Way way back when Dailam was first founded fiends attacked (as mentioned earlier. A few years later, Thyritief was born there. He was the first Tiefling, and those with fiendish qualities such as his were to be named after him (hence Tiefling, from Thyritief. I haven't decided what Thyritief did, and may leave that to Belthasar, and may then be left to the imagination, but as far as Kyren goes, it's not all that important.

Kyren's Story, part 2. She isn't too protective of this information. Those who know her pre-game will likely know this.
Kyren fled from the ruins of her village. She left the havoc that remained far behind. She ran desperately for what felt as though it were forever. She was resting in a meadow by a slow creeping brook late one night when she heard someone nearby calling out for help. Kyren calmed herself, collected her belongings and ran off toward the voice.
She arrived to find a middle aged lady staring out across a valley, her home burning brightly behind her. Kyren moved first to the house, telling the fire to stop burning. After a few moments it faded away, leaving night's shroud to blanket the area. She approached the old lady slowly. Her home had just been raided in the night, she explained. It was too dark to tell who the attackers were, but she had watched in horror as they set her home aflame, brutalized her husband, and dragged him off into the night. That was enough for Kyren, and she rushed off in pursuit.
Kyren returned two days later with the husband. He was alive, if nothing else, in tact enough that he would eventually recover. The Lady was shocked to discover that it was a young girl who had arrived at just the right time. She introduced herself as Al'leara. She requested that Kyren stay while her husband recovered, never questioning Kyren's unusual appearance, the faint yellow of her eyes, the tiny bumps on her forehead, even the tail. This child of only ten years was had saved her husband, that was all that mattered.
Two weeks passed while Al'leara's husband recovered. Before Kyren departed, they offered her a sword in thanks. It had been an heirloom, but as they had none to pass it on to they agreed that Kyren should have it. Kyren graciously accepted then went on her way.

Kyren no longer had a destination in mind. Before, she was running away, now, she felt she had escaped. That past life was over and she could now start her new one. She discarded remnants of that life which she had no interest in using any longer, keeping only a few to remind her of what had been, and decided the sword she now carried would be a symbol of the life she would be.

She traveled another four years, crossed vast lands and seas, meeting people here, doing right by others there, until finally arriving at Feloin. Here, she decided, here would be home. For three years, it was - Que the adventure!

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-27, 11:10 PM
@Kumori: We should figure out exactly how Kyren and T'aella met and the interactions from there. I have a bad habit of being annoyingly brief when writing and actually have a hard time elaborating on a theme. I can get the basics down no problem, the bare bones. Everything else, :smallsigh:. I just give ideas and take inspiration where i can to make a good story.

So, i'll likely give input but won't be able to actually make a good backstory on how Kyren and T'aella met.

Kumori
2010-09-27, 11:16 PM
Okay, maybe one of us stumbled upon the other randomly in the middle of nowhere. Either I would have been startled by you and just reacted, or you thought I was a 'random encounter'.... not too sure how to go from there to being friends. Any thoughts?

Belthasar
2010-09-27, 11:23 PM
Okay, maybe one of us stumbled upon the other randomly in the middle of nowhere. Either I would have been startled by you and just reacted, or you thought I was a 'random encounter'.... not too sure how to go from there to being friends. Any thoughts?
To the eastern coast of Mirror Bay, next to the town of Merkhun, are the Ebony Woods, a black, dense forest. Maybe all of T'aella's backstory occurs there (Wolfmane Tribe, the orcs, etc), and maybe Kyren used to travel ocassionally to Merkhun (or even the woods) looking for material components or other things... What do you think?

EDIT: I'll draw you a map of the area, soon.

EDIT 2: As for Kaen-T'aella connection, I could only see this happening after Kaen started wandering alone (definitely) to the north-east... Perhaps he entered the woods and met some natives (like T'aella).

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-27, 11:25 PM
Hm, I have a few ideas.

1) Kyren, being as young as she was, could have been out of food, attacked by something she couldn't handle on her own, or whatever and T'aella found her, then nursed her back to health, or vice versa.

2) Both were in a town that was targeted for a raid and they fought alongside each other as well as the rest of the town militia.

3) One just settling down for the night and the other coming along and asking to share the fire then became travelling companions when found to be fellow wanderers.

All three are simple, easy to expand upon, and has some definite potential for a bit of bonding (the first more so than the other two).

EDIT

To the eastern coast of Mirror Bay, next to the town of Merkhun, are the Ebony Woods, a black, dense forest. Maybe all of T'aella's backstory occurs there (Wolfmane Tribe, the orcs, etc), and maybe Kyren used to travel ocassionally to Merkhun (or even the woods) looking for material components or other things... What do you think?

EDIT: I'll draw you a map of the area, soon.

This could work too

Kumori
2010-09-27, 11:28 PM
Hm, I have a few ideas.

1) Kyren, being as young as she was, could have been out of food, attacked by something she couldn't handle on her own, or whatever and T'aella found her, then nursed her back to health, or vice versa.

2) Both were in a town that was targeted for a raid and they fought alongside each other as well as the rest of the town militia.

3) One just settling down for the night and the other coming along and asking to share the fire then became travelling companions when found to be fellow wanderers.

All three are simple, easy to expand upon, and has some definite potential for a bit of bonding (the first more so than the other two).

EDIT

This could work too

Did you read my full story, or skip the first part that she doesn't tell anyone?

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-27, 11:33 PM
Did you read my full story, or skip the first part that she doesn't tell anyone?

I read the full thing, mostly because i like to read and your a good storyteller. I'm good at role-playing as if i don't know something, so it should be alright.

Belthasar
2010-09-27, 11:35 PM
Almost all of the backstories are ready. Only Keribrar and Elthestral are missing...

Kumori
2010-09-27, 11:40 PM
I read the full thing, mostly because i like to read and your a good storyteller. I'm good at role-playing as if i don't know something, so it should be alright.

Using white text here, just in case others haven't.

I don't think the first option would fit too well, seeing as Kyren was able to kill almost everyone in her village. Belthasar's idea could work. Perhaps you visited my village before it got ruined, we met when I was four perhaps. Then, years later, we meet up again. Combine that with your #3?

Belthasar
2010-09-27, 11:43 PM
Perhaps you visited my village before it got ruined, we met when I was four perhaps. Then, years later, we meet up again.
Hum... That's pretty unlikely to happen, but not impossible. Consider that Kyren's village is many weeks (even months... or years) of travelling by sea, to the arctic lands of the north...

Kumori
2010-09-27, 11:47 PM
Almost all of the backstories are ready. Only Keribrar and Elthestral are missing...

I assume Calenestel PMed you his?

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-27, 11:48 PM
Using white text here, just in case others haven't.

I don't think the first option would fit too well, seeing as .... Belthasar's idea could work. Perhaps you visited my village before it got ruined, we met when I was four perhaps. Then, years later, we meet up again. Combine that with your #3?

How about a combination? I was at your village for a time, where T'aella met Kyren. Later, she is searching for material components and stumbles on T'aella's camp while she's making one of her healing salves, and she stays for a time. It's easy to work with and explains a bit about our characters to each other. And the white part can still fit, maybe she ran out of spells while out or she had to travel for so long she collapsed of exhaustion.

Belthasar
2010-09-27, 11:48 PM
I assume Calenestel PMed you his?
Of course. :smallwink:

Kumori
2010-09-27, 11:55 PM
Alright, so I ran out of spells, you saved me. Where? When?

Belthasar, can you recap where each up comes from relative to each others home place and Feloin please? Might help figure out when and where our paths could have crossed.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-28, 12:02 AM
I believe it's on this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9414053&postcount=121) post.

Belthasar
2010-09-28, 12:03 AM
Belthasar, can you recap where each up comes from relative to each others home place and Feloin please? Might help figure out when and where our paths could have crossed.
No problem. Most of these are my idea, and I'm still waiting for certain players' aproval.

Some facts (or suggestions):

1) Kyren comes from a very distant land, across the sea, to the north. She's been living in Feloin during 3 or 4 years (or so).

2) Kaen is from the Grasping Mountains, right to the south of Mirror Bay.

3) Keribrar is from the Akhgur Woods (west of Grasping Mountains). He met Kaen in the past, as the latter visited the former's elven town.

4) T'aella is from the Ebony Woods (east of Mirror Bay). She could have met Kyren while the latter visited the woods for some personal reasons. T'aella could have saved Kyren's life somehow.

5) Kaen could have met T'aella after leaving the Mountains for the last time. He visits the Ebony Woods before crossing the Bay.

...Hum, what else?

EDIT:
I believe it's on this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9414053&postcount=121) post....Yeah, or that.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-28, 12:07 AM
4) T'aella is from the Ebony Woods (east of Mirror Bay). She could have met Kyren while the latter visited the woods for some personal reasons.

This works for T'aella early on. Would the church of Titania (or a similar nature goddess) be in that area as well?

Belthasar
2010-09-28, 12:08 AM
This works for T'aella early on. Would the church of Titania (or a similar nature goddess) be in that area as well?
Sure, that's the idea. :smallwink:

Kumori
2010-09-28, 12:11 AM
In my wanderings I'd have traveled south and east then probably, until we met. Then headed towards Feloin sometime after.

Belthasar
2010-09-28, 12:15 AM
In my wanderings I'd have traveled south and east then probably, until we met. Then headed towards Feloin sometime after.
You mean, meeting T'aella before establishing in Feloin? That'll work also. You could even stay in the town of Merkhun for the time being, before crossing the Bay into Feloin.

Kumori
2010-09-28, 12:25 AM
Merkhun is the one surrounded by the Ebony Woods, and that whole region is known for it's many harmful occupants, right? The Ebony Woods sound like a place Kyren may have shown an interest in exploring.
We can start with that, throw in some raptors, maybe a rex, and then bring in T'aella to save the day?

Belthasar
2010-09-28, 12:30 AM
Merkhun is the one surrounded by the Ebony Woods, and that whole region is known for it's many harmful occupants, right? The Ebony Woods sound like a place Kyren may have shown an interest in exploring.
We can start with that, throw in some raptors, maybe a rex, and then bring in T'aella to save the day?
Do you mean, starting your game with that encounter? Or want that event to happen "off-panel"?

(That'll be fun)

EDIT: Yes, Merkhun is a town that's almost preiodically being under monster attack.

Kumori
2010-09-28, 12:32 AM
Pregame. It'd still be a while before the adventure, wouldn't it? Unless I errata my history to make the getting to Feloin a little later.

Belthasar
2010-09-28, 12:36 AM
Pregame. It'd still be a while before the adventure, wouldn't it? Unless I errata my history to make the getting to Feloin a little later.
Don't worry, it's okay. In pre-game, T'aella will save Kyren from some dinosaurs then. :smalltongue:

That'll be interesting, because it's the first time for Kyren to see those beasts.

Kumori
2010-09-28, 12:42 AM
Don't worry, it's okay. In pre-game, T'aella will save Kyren from some dinosaurs then. :smalltongue:

That'll be interesting, because it's the first time for Kyren to see those beasts.

Yep. They caught me off-guard, I wasn't familiar with how they fight, and they had a distinct advantage (at least that's how Kyren remembers it). Then this massive thing rushes out of the brush and decimates them...

Calenestel
2010-09-28, 12:59 AM
Yikes. I go to sleep for a few hours and all hell breaks loose. :smallwink:

Will post more when I'm done reading.

Kumori
2010-09-28, 01:03 AM
Yikes. I go to sleep for a few hours and all hell breaks loose. :smallwink:

Will post more when I'm done reading.

I lawled. Bed for me now too. G'night all.

TekHed
2010-09-28, 02:14 AM
As for what's what here are my thoughts.

I am thinking that the first of the party Kaen (the e is subtle so it sounds like Kain) meets is Keribrar the Elf. I am imagining that being a grey elf he comes from lands far away perhaps beyond the great desert where the psionic half giants live. I imagine the elves in the forests around the grasping mountains to be wood elvish.

Anyways the two would have met perhaps while Kaen was still leaving the desert or if not in the mountain passes. Keribrar is powerful but being more of a caster type he could be caught in an ambush especially if there were superior numbers. As he is a non combatant, having my character around as a bodyguard would be a good idea. Kaen is obviously elf-friend and fluent (though accented) in the Elvish tongue. Between that and the psionics the two would have made quite practical traveling companions.

T'aella and Kyren make natural companions. I was thinking that regardless of how the two groups meet, that we come together on the road perhaps sharing a campfire and stories...after all with most commoners scared witless for travelling the wilderness any sentient and pleasent company would be welcome. Kaen would have been truly touched by the stories of T'aella's tribe's masacer, so like his own, and feel an empathy with Kyren for being the outcast of her tribe. Since T'aella and Kaen each come from Druidic cultures they would have meshed philosophicaly as well...not to mention both are raging barbarian warriors. IN short Kaen would have seen the meeting as fated, and would have openly said so, suggesting that they travel onwards.

The real question is, aside from cameraderie why are we travling and where to? Kaen himself is merely wandering, exploring without specific agendas. Perhaps that is enough.

As for Nany, I'm wondering if the background and sheet can be made public? Doesn't seem right that everyone else posted public...usually everyone is public or everyone is private, but since this is an attempt at more cooperative storytelling public seemed better.

I'm wondering if Elthestral and Nanay should also meet offscreen and then the two groups could meet. It's fun to play established relationships but rping first meetings can be equally rewarding, so long as the players agree on a common ground to stay together on that doesn't feel too contrived.

May I suggest that since we are going to know each other, that we work out the interpersonal dynamics a bit aside from just the circumstancs of the meeting. It will help us rp better the nature of these people's relationships to one another.

Calenestel
2010-09-28, 02:40 AM
Right... Let's see here.

First off. I was going to make Nanay's sheet secret because there's a lot more to her than meets the eye. It is nothing your characters will know about but I don't suspect you of metagaming so if you'd prefer I could just post it here. But I'd say it would spoil the surprise. :smallwink:

Most of her background is nothing she'd share for a LONG time.
Short story of what she will tell anyone openly:
-She left her people's hidden enclave a few years ago to experience the Big World. There had never been any contact with other races.
-There she met her Goddess, Eilistraee.
-She has been travelling ever since, doing some small amount of adventuring.

Furthermore she's a sweet young elf with an almost paladin-like zeal to fight Evil and uphold Good.

I'd be happy to work out some previous relations. If I knew more about Elthestral that'd be great. Two groups who have to come to know and trust each other is a lot of fun.

TekHed
2010-09-28, 02:49 AM
Understood about the desire for secrecy...by all means surprise us. :smallwink:

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-28, 09:32 AM
Love the backstory idea, TekHed.

TekHed
2010-09-28, 12:05 PM
So I have stated some ofhow Kaen would view the others...how would they view him?

Personality wise I see him as somewhat serious and brooding (8 charisma), which fits what has happened to him. On the other hand like all Goliath, his culture is based on keeping score and competition, so he might have a Legolas/Gimli relationship with Taella in combat...

Waiting on input from Honjuden about Keribrar and Jellocat as well...still with us guys?

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-28, 01:06 PM
So I have stated some ofhow Kaen would view the others...how would they view him?

Personality wise I see him as somewhat serious and brooding (8 charisma), which fits what has happened to him. On the other hand like all Goliath, his culture is based on keeping score and competition, so he might have a Legolas/Gimli relationship with Taella in combat...

Waiting on input from Honjuden about Keribrar and Jellocat as well...still with us guys?

The Legolas/Gimli idea opens soooo much role-play potential. T'aella is more a hunter than Legolas and has a more tribal origin but that doesn't really matter. I really like this scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ryD1jr78j0) though.

T'aella's culture is more about the well-being of the tribe, than competition, but contests and spars are used to sharpen the skills of the tribe. She'd likely view the competition as a chance to better the both of us.

TekHed
2010-09-28, 01:14 PM
Yeah the body count thing is what I was referring to. Both of our characters come from tribal/hunter/druidic cultures. And Goliath work for the good of the clan as well...it's just that they are always comparing...it comes off to other races as bragging perhaps but for them it is matter of fact, and what most people never realize is that they are really keeping score against themselves, always trying to reach for a better result than they achieved before.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-28, 02:05 PM
Then she'd definitely go for the friendly rivalry thing.

Honjuden
2010-09-28, 03:57 PM
I will have my background up tonight before I get to bed. Sounds good to me Tekhed.

Belthasar
2010-09-28, 07:30 PM
Right... Let's see here.

First off. I was going to make Nanay's sheet secret because there's a lot more to her than meets the eye. It is nothing your characters will know about but I don't suspect you of metagaming so if you'd prefer I could just post it here. But I'd say it would spoil the surprise. :smallwink:

Most of her background is nothing she'd share for a LONG time.
Short story of what she will tell anyone openly:
-She left her people's hidden enclave a few years ago to experience the Big World. There had never been any contact with other races.
-There she met her Goddess, Eilistraee.
-She has been travelling ever since, doing some small amount of adventuring.

Furthermore she's a sweet young elf with an almost paladin-like zeal to fight Evil and uphold Good.

I'd be happy to work out some previous relations. If I knew more about Elthestral that'd be great. Two groups who have to come to know and trust each other is a lot of fun.
...Also, Nanay is the character with the highest charisma, unlike the other ones who have 8 to 10 points.

Kumori
2010-09-28, 07:36 PM
...Also, Nanay is the character with the highest charisma, unlike the other ones who have 8 to 10 points.

In my defense, I have a racial penalty... And neither of my classes need it.

TekHed
2010-09-28, 08:13 PM
Dump stat! :smalltongue:

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-28, 08:16 PM
Dump except for Intimidate and Wild Empathy.

Plus, IIRC, Nanay has TWO classes that require Charisma

TekHed
2010-09-28, 08:34 PM
Looks like we are inching closer to starting... :)

Belthasar
2010-09-28, 08:45 PM
Only Jellocat is left. I'm curious about the illusionist.

TekHed
2010-09-28, 08:48 PM
Hopefully all of us will be able to keep up a moderate posting rate of once every couple days or so...

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-28, 08:51 PM
I prefer fast-paced games, mainly because i can post often, several mediums let me post so i can literally add on from anywhere.

TekHed
2010-09-28, 09:02 PM
If it's too fast I'll be left in the dust...I'm building a biz and it's not a desk job plus I work out a lot. SOmetimes I will be able to use my flurry-of-posts ability nd other times I may be gone for several days working. Just a heads up.

Which is part of why I put the caveat in the original post. I want a game that has -longevity- which means being able to patient. I'm in another long running pbp elsewhere that has lasted 2 years mainly because we are all willing to wait it out and still pick it up when lulls happen in the summer/finals/holidays/etc...

Kumori
2010-09-28, 09:07 PM
2 years? wow... I think the longest any game I've been in has been about 3 weeks. That's not to say it's my fault though. I don't want you thinking that. I'm generally one of the last to accept the death of the game.

TekHed
2010-09-28, 09:08 PM
Yeah, I'm serious...I've always wanted a game that could get to 20 and then go epic. I figure it increases our chances if we start closer to level 10.

Kumori
2010-09-28, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I'm serious...I've always wanted a game that could get to 20 and then go epic. I figure it increases our chances if we start closer to level 10.

:smallbiggrin: I like epic...

TekHed
2010-09-28, 09:25 PM
I like epic when it is *earned* through at least 10 levels of play...

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-28, 09:26 PM
I've never played Epic before. This might very well be my best chance.

Kumori
2010-09-28, 09:27 PM
I like epic when it is *earned* through at least 10 levels of play...

Can't say I've ever done that, though I have come close. Had a level 1 start reach 18th... That was a good game.

TekHed
2010-09-28, 09:32 PM
I've never understood why people quit. One of RL groups gets to level 12 or so and things peter out and then they get together and start over. Perplexing! The group I grew up with, we don;t see each other too often but we always pick right up where we left off. We love our characters and the story must go on! :smallbiggrin:

Belthasar
2010-09-28, 09:45 PM
I've never understood why people quit. One of RL groups gets to level 12 or so and things peter out and then they get together and start over. Perplexing! The group I grew up with, we don;t see each other too often but we always pick right up where we left off. We love our characters and the story must go on! :smallbiggrin:

And, if a player quits without a warning, the DM may choose to take over the abandoned character for the campaign to go on.

It's allowed about two weeks of inaction before the DM can do this. It's on the forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46074)! :smalltongue:

Kumori
2010-09-28, 10:07 PM
And, if a player quits without a warning, the DM may choose to take over the abandoned character for the campaign to go on.

It's allowed about two weeks of inaction before the DM can do this. It's on the forum rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46074)! :smalltongue:

The way I read that made you seem excited at the thought of having a player quit...

TekHed
2010-09-28, 10:19 PM
The way I read that made you seem excited at the thought of having a player quit...

!!!

...is this true??? :smalleek:

Kumori
2010-09-28, 10:21 PM
I doubt it, that's just how the voice in my head sounded. I had to reread it...

Belthasar
2010-09-28, 10:28 PM
!!!

...is this true??? :smalleek:

Nope. It's just excitement because of the fact that the campaign can continue even if a player drops out.:smallsmile:

Kumori
2010-09-28, 11:21 PM
I'm guessing everyone has read my full background. Is there anyone who hasn't? I just want to know so I know if I need to continue trying to avoid spoilers of what Kyren would never tell people.

Calenestel
2010-09-29, 12:03 AM
I didn't read it. Wouldn't seem right since I keep my background secret from you. :smalltongue:

Also, yes Nanay has the highest charisma but, as have been stated, it's her primary stat for both of her classes. :smallwink:

TekHed
2010-09-29, 12:10 AM
I read it I admit. I won't meta game but if Kaen ever finds out he -may- have some issues with Kyren...

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-29, 12:19 AM
Redemption and second chances is a big thing with T'aella, if she found out about it, likely she'd feel that second chances are justified and that people can always change for the better.

Honjuden
2010-09-29, 12:54 AM
I have not read it either. I am about halfway done with mine and it will be finished tonight as promised.

Finished with the backstory...on the character sheet.

Belthasar
2010-09-29, 02:29 AM
I have not read it either. I am about halfway done with mine and it will be finished tonight as promised.

Finished with the backstory...on the character sheet.
Interesting story. I like how you linked the Eternal Circle to the Grasping Mountains.

Keribrar could even receive some directions from Kaen, since he seems to know the mountains well.

Ok guys, time for me to sleep. By tomorrow I'll post the map of the area. See you!

Belthasar
2010-09-29, 10:48 AM
Okay guys, I have the map for the area.

Here (http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2761/bourtenuh.png)it is. Hope you like it.

EDIT: I think I'll be posting the accumulated info of the campaign on the first post of this thread.

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-29, 12:09 PM
Okay guys, I have the map for the area.

Here (http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2761/bourtenuh.png)it is. Hope you like it.

EDIT: I think I'll be posting the accumulated info of the campaign on the first post of this thread.

Thank you, much easier to find stuff now.

TekHed
2010-09-29, 01:42 PM
The lack of posting from Jellocat has me concerned about his attendance. He is the only one we are waiting on?

Also...feeling like we should start the game with our two subgroups so far meeting for the first time...would be fun yes?

Calenestel
2010-09-29, 01:50 PM
Is my group any more than me and Jello? Might be a VERY small group in that case. :smallbiggrin:

OTOH, a single person meeting an established group can be equally fun, of course. :smallwink:

TekHed
2010-09-29, 03:41 PM
Well here is what I am thinking: If Jello comes back then we would have 3 groups of 2 intersecting. I already know that there will be a good synergy between groups a and b so it's the question of do we start with the meeting or assume it took place already offscreen?

Also Belthasar...you have the area beyond the forests listed as the red wasteland and I was thinking it was desert (having the map is helping me get things worked out). It would seem the shifting sands are the deserts I was looking for. Also Keribrar is an Elf from the Akghur woods. I had envisioned Kaen as having been an emmisary to nearby elves but Wood Elves, not Grey Elves.

So how about this:

The Goliath people are from the Sandurg mountains with the wood elves being located in the Ebony Forest. Can there be an ancient dwarven kingdom under the Sandurg? Then Kaen would have ventured south into the desert after the destruction of the giant-tribe, living with the half giants far to the south (off the map). When he left them he would have traveled northwest and into the grasping mountains where he met Keribrar who had come from the Akghur forst and together the two would have traveled towards either the badlands or back towards the Akghur.

Where would be a good spot for parties a and b to meet? And how on earth are we going to get to Feloin? I hadn't realized it was an island...

Awesome map btw...!

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-29, 04:44 PM
T'aella lived in the Ebony Woods, that could very easily explain the meating of groups A and B, especially if Kyren is gathering material components there when they meet.

Belthasar
2010-09-29, 06:07 PM
Also...feeling like we should start the game with our two subgroups so far meeting for the first time...would be fun yes?
If everyone agrees, I have no problem with starting a preface of the story. That could be a chance for the characters' personality to develop by roleplaying. After a few posts, we could start the chapter 1.

I'm interested in knowing what everyone thinks about it. Is it a good idea? Or should we just start with the adventure (straight to the point)?

So how about this:

The Goliath people are from the Sandurg mountains with the wood elves being located in the Ebony Forest. Can there be an ancient dwarven kingdom under the Sandurg? Then Kaen would have ventured south into the desert after the destruction of the giant-tribe, living with the half giants far to the south (off the map). When he left them he would have traveled northwest and into the grasping mountains where he met Keribrar who had come from the Akghur forst and together the two would have traveled towards either the badlands or back towards the Akghur.
Yes, that's feasible too.

Where would be a good spot for parties a and b to meet? And how on earth are we going to get to Feloin? I hadn't realized it was an island...Feloin is a good point to meet, I think. Or even you might have met aboard a ship traveling to Feloin from Merkhun. The latter is a dangerous town, but the former is a more populated community where you can get supplies, slaves, info, or whatever.

Alternatively, people could all be in Merkhun when the massive attack started. You all aborded different ships (others adventurers fought back, but didn't make it). You heard that Feloin is the only town who remaind intact, and adventurers are gathering there to launch a powerful counterattack... You get the idea.

Any other ideas are welcome.

T'aella lived in the Ebony Woods, that could very easily explain the meating of groups A and B, especially if Kyren is gathering material components there when they meet.
Indeed.

Honjuden
2010-09-29, 07:32 PM
I, and whoever is with me, can be just about anywhere we need to be fairly easily. Psionic Teleport is bound to come in handy.

Belthasar
2010-09-29, 07:58 PM
I, and whoever is with me, can be just about anywhere we need to be fairly easily. Psionic Teleport is bound to come in handy.
So, if Kaen is with you, you can teleport both him and yourself to the safest location possible (Feloin, for example).

TekHed
2010-09-29, 08:01 PM
Slaves? :smallfurious: Who are these slavers and why aren't they dead yet? :smallannoyed:

Belthasar
2010-09-29, 08:10 PM
Slaves? :smallfurious: Who are these slavers and why aren't they dead yet? :smallannoyed:
The people of Feloin never enslave their own people. Slaves are obtained from trade with other nations/towns/city-states.

TekHed
2010-09-29, 08:36 PM
It's still wrong...

Honjuden
2010-09-29, 11:29 PM
I take it a lot of the local governments are Lawful Evil then?

Belthasar
2010-09-29, 11:31 PM
I take it a lot of the local governments are Lawful Evil then?
Bull's eye!:smallbiggrin:

(Not all of them, though.)

Calenestel
2010-09-30, 12:59 AM
Hm... I wish I hade known more about the slavery before. I might not have gone with such a... heroic... character then (and yes, Nanay will definetly be a force of Good, despite it all :smallwink:).

Now I need to find a reason to explain why she would actually help out such a goverment... Anyone have an idea? She's not mercenary in nature.
Wanting to help the innocents of Feloin might be a part of it, but I would prefer a stronger case.

Are this region more evil than good then?

TekHed
2010-09-30, 03:18 AM
Let's think this through for a second.

Keribrar can t-port meaning that meeting in the woods just walking a trail or scouting a cmapfire is less likely. On the other hand I don't know if I like the idea of meeting during an attack. It's a classic comic book trope to meet in battle but too cliche and too random to create lasting bonds without careful consideration to avoid feeling contrived.

Hmmm...

I realize Feloin is at the heart of the start of the adventure. Not sure why Kaen would have reason to go there. Knowing the way Goliath psycology works though Kaen might try and free any slaves he sees...he is neutral good so it's good regardless of the law. And assuming we do have reason to go there, Keribrar can teleport him and I or the whole lot of us to Feloin...or any other location, back to Akghur for example. So what I am saying is I think we need some stronger hooks.

I'm open to suggestions...

Calenestel
2010-09-30, 03:55 AM
I would like to get to know this goliath before going to Feloin. It'll be good to have a likeminded individual when it comes to slavery (though Nanay is CG) :smallbiggrin:

Furthermore: I miscalculated my XP (as usual, sigh). Need another level of sorcerer (yay!)

[roll0]
Edit: Naturally. :smallannoyed:

TekHed
2010-09-30, 04:12 AM
Ha! D4's suck, they should be nuked from orbit...

Hmm..any ideas for Kaen and Nanay? The towering Goliath is travelling with Keribrar...and...I just realized that you can't teleport where you haven't been or at least seen in detail so that gives us a reason to be on the road.

Hmm...well if Nanay's people are wood (ish) Elves from the Ebony forest then maybe she will remember him as Elf Friend and the ambassador from his tribe. She would likely know Qualen the ranger who first introduced the mountain-people to the fair folk.

Also I decided that his brooch was a gift from the same Elves along with the cloak...it makes more sense that the Elves would have made such a thing than the Goliath.

So...Kaen is coming back from his exile. He meets Keribrar in the mountain pass the latter having come exploring from Akghur. They befriend each other and Kaen offers his services as a guide and bodyguard in return for continued psychic tutelage.

Perhaps our various groups converge on Merkun specifically because we had heard rumors of an attack there and were motivated to defend it. Merkun would be a good place for Nany and Kaen to reunite. Perhaps along the way Keribrar, Kaen, Kyren, and T'aella meet on the road somewhere in the badlands.

We could set the scene with something like:

Dusk is approaching and T'aella and Kaen stride out into the night to hunt for the evenings meal. Kyren and Keribrar are left to tend their respective campires. One or both of those two notice the plume from the other camp's fire and goes to investigate. Meanwhile Kaen and T'aella end up going after the same game, and it intitally gets spooked with both sides blaming the other. Then when their stomachs start grwoling they agree to work together with one of them flushing the game into the other's trap. By the time they return to the campfire they are laughing...and find Keribrar and Kyren telling stories over the campfire. The group then proceeds to Merken where they discover they had all been heading, and Kaen reunites with Nanay.

Cue big happy family.

Also: I think we've lost Jello. I'll PM him to see if he still intends to play.

Any good? How much should happen on or off camera?

Kumori
2010-09-30, 04:35 AM
Dusk is approaching and T'aella and Kaen stride out into the night to hunt for the evenings meal. Kyren and Keribrar are left to tend their respective campires. One or both of those two notice the plume from the other camp's fire and goes to investigate. Meanwhile Kaen and T'aella end up going after the same game, and it intitally gets spooked with both sides blaming the other. Then when their stomachs start grwoling they agree to work together with one of them flushing the game into the other's trap. By the time they return to the campfire they are laughing...and find Keribrar and Kyren telling stories over the campfire. The group then proceeds to Merken where they discover they had all been heading, and Kaen reunites with Nanay

I like it, actually. Kyren could take either role when it comes to her or Keribrar investigating the smoke coming from the others fire, so that decision can be left to Honjuden.

Is the meeting of Kyren and T'aella finalized? I was thinking that another way to do it, other than me needing to be saved, could be that we met up randomly while I was searching for components. We got to know each other only a little bit when you T'aella agreed to help Kyren with the seach, during which we were both attacked. We each saw value in the other, and a bit of a friendship began to grow from there.

Kinda helps move things away from the cliche/trope that TekHed mentioned and gives a bit of the bonding that we're looking for.

Calenestel
2010-09-30, 05:14 AM
Weeell... The idea is that Nanay's enclave is REEEEALLY isolationist and not very woodsy. And that makes this a wee bit harder, of course. :smallbiggrin:

I think it might just be best that Nanay and Elthestral have met earlier and started travelling together, maybe a little "mentor/trainee-relationship" since Nanay isn't as experienced in arcane magic as Elthestral. When the two groups meet (and I'd prefer it to be ingame and before we actually arrive in that wretched Feloin) Nanay recognize Kaen as an Elf-friend (let's say that the brooch is a badge of honour as well, hey?) and the two groups can just get off on the right foot. :smalltongue:

Of course, if Jello has dropped out, then it's just Nanay. But that can work just as well...

The point is, that I want to have Nanay know Kaen slightly before traveling to a place with abundant slavery. But that can (and I think SHOULD) be taken care of IC.

Edit: The rest sounds fine. But Nanay isn't involved in that anyways. :smallbiggrin:

Edit2: The more I think about the more I'd actually like to put the first meeting between my character (and possibly Jello's) and your characters IC. It's been ages since I played a meeting like that. It's fun. :smallwink:

TekHed
2010-09-30, 05:45 AM
Alright, well I will leave it up to Belthasar to get us all together then. I trust the process. :)

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-30, 09:46 AM
Is the meeting of Kyren and T'aella finalized? I was thinking that another way to do it, other than me needing to be saved, could be that we met up randomly while I was searching for components. We got to know each other only a little bit when you T'aella agreed to help Kyren with the seach, during which we were both attacked. We each saw value in the other, and a bit of a friendship began to grow from there.

Kinda helps move things away from the cliche/trope that TekHed mentioned and gives a bit of the bonding that we're looking for.

Actually i like that one better. Let's go with that.

Honjuden
2010-09-30, 11:50 AM
So about the whole alignment ordeal; I think about half the party, at least, is chaotic good. This could lead to some very interesting situations in a lawful evil city.

The whole tutelage for protection deal works for me. Keribrar doesn't come off as being more than possibly a starting rogue or scout so the perceived threat of a goliath would keep him from being approached by small time thugs at every turn.

Belthasar
2010-09-30, 12:21 PM
Now I need to find a reason to explain why she would actually help out such a goverment...
You don't need to help the goverment, but the innocent people instead. If Feloin falls under orcs or goblins, every citizen shall be enslaved. And I mean ALL of them.

EDIT: Instead of Feloin, you could all start in Merkhun. It'll make things easier, and you all will have an early action scene. What do you think?

EDIT 2: Or yes, that would do, too. And could be combined with TekHed's campfire idea.

Calenestel
2010-09-30, 01:00 PM
If we could start out somewhere else that'd be great. I guess I should be content with saving the people, not the government. :smallwink:
But I hope we'll get a chance to topple them afterwards. :smallbiggrin:

Honjuden
2010-09-30, 01:09 PM
I am sure you will make the right placement choice.

Calenestel
2010-09-30, 01:16 PM
@TekHed: Have you heard from Jello?

Belthasar
2010-09-30, 04:40 PM
Okay, so we'll start in Merkhun. You'll visit Feloin after a while if you wish. That choice is based on the regions each character started from.

Let me see if I remember correctly:

1) Kyren arrived to Merkhun by ship, from a northern continent. She went to the Ebony Woods to get some rare materials she needed.

2) Kaen is from the Sandurg Mountains. He made many trips over the east and south-east of the region (from the Shifting Sands to the Akhgur Woods). He visited the Ebony Woods also.

3) Keribrar was born in the Akhgur Woods, but he could spend some time travelling. He met Kaen on one of his trips, outside home.

4) T'aella is from the Ebony Woods. As simple as it seems. She knows the terrain well.

5) Nanay came from an unknown region, beyond the frontiers of Bourtenuh. She could be visiting either Merkhun or Feloin. Or even the Ebony Woods. Practically almost every inhabited zone of the map, because her story fits for that.

6) Elthestral... I don't know. If Jello appears, I could suggest he knows Nanay. They could have a magical affinity as it was told before.

Am I forgetting something?

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-30, 04:51 PM
Everything looks fine to me. Unless someone else brings something up we only need to wait for Jello and we'll be set.

TekHed
2010-09-30, 04:52 PM
Finaly got a PM from Jello... he says he is still in if we will have him. I'm annoyed that after replying to my PM he didn't check in here. I'm like dude...it's been 5 days don't tell me here post on the forum!

Kumori
2010-09-30, 05:03 PM
I was beginning to think that he didn't know how PMs worked all that well. I remember when I first started my brother sent me one and I didn't notice for almost a week.

Belthasar
2010-09-30, 05:09 PM
Finaly got a PM from Jello... he says he is still in if we will have him. I'm annoyed that after replying to my PM he didn't check in here. I'm like dude...it's been 5 days don't tell me here post on the forum!
Did you send him a link to this new thread?

Okay, we'll wait. He must be under a mountain of paperwork.

Meanwhile, let's think he's met with Nanay already. Or we can even start soon, and his character can jump in later, I don't mind.

Calenestel
2010-09-30, 05:20 PM
I agree.

And Nanay is a bit of a wandering do-gooder. She's all over the place. :smalltongue:
Ebony woods would put me in the area without being too... convenient. So that's probably where she travels and now heads into town to resupply, or something. :smallwink:

TekHed
2010-09-30, 05:24 PM
He responded to the PM right away...he hasnt been posting here. I'll send him the link...

Belthasar
2010-09-30, 10:11 PM
Okay, if you don't mind, I'll start the campaign any minute now. If anyone has something to add/ask, now is the time.

JelloCat
2010-09-30, 10:19 PM
My bad guys, I somehow missed that there was an OOC thread. I'll read through it and post something quick up soon.

Honjuden
2010-09-30, 10:34 PM
One quick question, what time zone is everyone in?

JelloCat
2010-09-30, 10:38 PM
So here goes. Elthestral grew up on the coast and watched his father go fishing for their livelihood every morning. When he was old enough he joined his father, manning the ship and nets. One day however, large ships were spotted on the horizon. Once his father realized what they were he raced back towards shore but his boat wasn't fast enough to outrun the pirates. Taken then in exchange for his father's life, Elthestral was raised by the pirates and taken in by an old and grizzled ship's wizard. For years he trained under the man and eventually, when his mentor had died, Elthestral took over his duties.

A few years after Elthestral had taken over as ship's mage the pirate ship was captured and it's crew enslaved or slaughtered. Using his magic, Elthestral was able to escape his captor's and fled into the wilderness. He's now found himself in the Ebony Woods.

(I could have met up with Nanay or anyone while on the run)

Belthasar
2010-09-30, 10:39 PM
One quick question, what time zone is everyone in?
GMT-4, I think.

Welcome back, Jello. Please, take your time and read the whole thread. I'll need some clues about your background so we can start the game.

EDIT: Nevermind. Jello was fast!

So, you were taught by a pirate mage, huh? That's interesting. I like it. You're the only character with connections to the Urgirat pirates. :smalltongue:

Honjuden
2010-09-30, 10:40 PM
I am GMT-5

JelloCat
2010-09-30, 10:43 PM
I feel bad about holding you guys up so I figured I needed to get on it. :smalltongue:

EdroGrimshell
2010-09-30, 10:50 PM
GMT-4, I think.

Dittotencharacters

Honjuden
2010-09-30, 10:52 PM
Cool. This means that we won't be up way past when I need to be asleep.

Belthasar
2010-09-30, 11:45 PM
Okay guys, the campaign will start either at Merkhun (or its outskirts) or Ebony Woods (or surrounding area), depending on every character's backstory.

It will have spoilers that only certains characters should look. For instance:

To Kaen:
You look around and you find nothing, but you feel an uncomfortable aura behind you.

You guys can do the same thing, when want to say something to a player but don't want the rest of them to know. You can also use spoilers if you want to say something only the DM should know. Examples:

To Keribrar:
OoC: Remember I cast Owl's Wisdom on you. It should affect your Spot checks.
DM only:
I pick Kyren's pockets. What do I get?
And so on. Alternatively you could use the PM system, but I remind you; it has a limited storage.
I will use the spoilers on the first stages of the game, because I'll be starting it on small groups of characters, according to the posts above.

This thread can still be used for out of character commentaries and the like.

Good luck to you all.

Honjuden
2010-09-30, 11:49 PM
Is there an in-game thread?

Also
testing

Belthasar
2010-09-30, 11:50 PM
Is there an in-game thread?

Working on that, hang on.:smallwink:

I think by tomorrow should be ready.

Calenestel
2010-10-01, 12:01 AM
Sorry to throw a wrench in your machinery, guys. But I'm GMT+1. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway.

Jello, On the run you might have run into a young elf-maid. A curiosity in that she's both a sorceress and an especially selected priestess of a drow deity, but a good lass, and you quickly realized you could use a companion and Nanay seemed both inclined to help and constantly on the move herself anyways. So we quickly ended up travelling together. Now we're headed into town to resupply.

Sounds good?

(Edited for typos)

JelloCat
2010-10-01, 12:17 AM
Jello, On the run you might have run into a young elf-maid. A curiosity in that she's both a sorceress and an especially selected priestess of a drow deity, but a good lass, and you quickly realized you could use a companion and Nanay seemed both inclined to help and constantly on the move herself anyways. So we quickly ended up travelling together. Now where headed into town to resupply.

Sounds good?

That sounds great.

Kumori
2010-10-01, 04:50 AM
Game starts tomorrow... :smalleek: Guess it's time to make sure everything is finalized on my sheet.

GMT -6 for me.

Edit: I just realized I have yet to pick my languages. So often I forget that part. Any suggestion for what Kyren might know? What races are near Dailam/Durkensath that she may have picked up on? I've picked Infernal and Draconic, which would have been taught to her by Thyritief, but need 2 more.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-01, 09:10 AM
Edit: I just realized I have yet to pick my languages. So often I forget that part. Any suggestion for what Kyren might know? What races are near Dailam/Durkensath that she may have picked up on? I've picked Infernal and Draconic, which would have been taught to her by Thyritief, but need 2 more.

Abyssal, Terran, Ignan, Aquan, Auran, and any humanoid language would be appropriate. Personally i can only speak common and orc.

Belthasar
2010-10-01, 10:57 AM
I just realized I have yet to pick my languages. So often I forget that part. Any suggestion for what Kyren might know? What races are near Dailam/Durkensath that she may have picked up on? I've picked Infernal and Draconic, which would have been taught to her by Thyritief, but need 2 more.

Abyssal, Terran, Ignan, Aquan, Auran, and any humanoid language would be appropriate.
That'll do. In Durkensath people speak: Common, Infernal, Abyssal, Celestial, Alendari (the language of the people of the empire of Wylidan), Draconic, Giant, and Gnome (an obscure language not everyone in Durkensath know). Some of them speak Sylvan, Aquan or Terran, but those are languages for the sages.

Belthasar
2010-10-01, 11:42 AM
And, JelloCat: You need to select your languages as well. The languages of the zone are:

Common, Goblin, Orc, Elven, Sylvan, Gnoll, Ignan, Aquan, Terran, Dwarf, Goliath, Draconic (sages only), Lizard, Giant.

If you have any other suggestion, please go ahead and include it. Your character lived on a ship, so it's natural he learns some additional languages from different people.

EDIT: You could add your prepared cantrips to your sheet too, if you wish. :smallwink:

Belthasar
2010-10-01, 02:51 PM
PbP thread ready. Feel free to roleplay your characters meanwhile I build-up the dramatic tension.

Good luck!

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170439

TekHed
2010-10-01, 10:01 PM
Can we make sure that each thread is cross linked in the first post of each thread?

Also, w00t!

Calenestel
2010-10-02, 12:07 AM
Yay! *Heads over to the OOC IC thread*

Kumori
2010-10-02, 12:21 AM
Yay! *Heads over to the OOC thread*

You're in the OOC thread already... Do you mean you're going to the IC thread?

Calenestel
2010-10-02, 12:24 AM
Nope. I've always had troubles with revolving doors. I always end up where I started. :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, though... Yeah, my mistake. Fixed it. :smallredface:

Kumori
2010-10-02, 01:56 AM
Meanwhile in another part of the forest

That made me laugh a little. Well done.

Calenestel
2010-10-02, 02:10 AM
Heh. It just seeemd... Appropriate. :smallbiggrin:

Belthasar
2010-10-02, 01:18 PM
Can we make sure that each thread is cross linked in the first post of each thread?
Okay, I'll do what I can.

Subscribing is also a useful option.

TekHed
2010-10-02, 03:22 PM
Well I am subscribed, but if I want to look something up before somebody posts and I'm notified I have to dig...

Anyways thank you. :)

Kumori
2010-10-02, 03:41 PM
My sig has a link to both the IC and OOC threads as well, so feel free to use those to help navigate too.

TekHed
2010-10-03, 06:44 PM
Thanks! The links are a big help. :)

Just a heads up that my week is going to get busy so I will only be able to post once or twice a day at most. I've also changed my notify from 'instant' to 'daily.' Instant is far too distracting to get anything productive done at my computer. :smalltongue:

I'm having a lot of fun with y'all!

TekHed
2010-10-04, 03:32 AM
Jellocat...your choice in color is -very- hard to read and on the eyes as it is so light and blends into the white background. For the sake of my poor eyes could you please pick something with a little more contrast?

Be BOLD Sir! :wink:

Belthesar...any progress yet on the sort of scale we are looking at on that map?

Belthasar
2010-10-04, 07:02 AM
The scale of the map is seen in the upper right corner; 20, 40, 60, 80, and 100 miles. :smallwink:

JelloCat
2010-10-04, 02:18 PM
But I think soothing colours suit Elthestral. I'll try a couple things.

How's this?

Or this?

Hmmm...

Maybe.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-04, 02:39 PM
But I think soothing colours suit Elthestral. I'll try a couple things.

How's this?

Or this?

Hmmm...

Maybe.

I think grey is the best one, indigo is to close to T'aella's

Kumori
2010-10-04, 04:22 PM
You could always make your text bold, makes it more stand-out-ish...

JelloCat
2010-10-04, 07:51 PM
I dunno, I suppose I'll use grey.

Belthasar
2010-10-05, 01:12 AM
Whoops! Thanks Edro, I forgot that detail, but corrected it right now. Sorry.

TekHed
2010-10-05, 09:15 AM
Cool, with that scale the forest and map is HUGE (considering no motorized transportaion anyways).

Calenestel
2010-10-06, 12:41 AM
DM only (player's keep out).
You aren't peeking, are you? :smallamused:

[roll0]
[roll1]

D'oh. :smallannoyed:

Belthasar
2010-10-06, 12:55 AM
To Calenestel only (results of the check):

The only thing you know about the avariel is that they're flying elves. It's a myth though, and no one knows if they really exists (or even existed) in the Prime. Perhaps in the upper planes, but no one knows...

Kumori
2010-10-06, 01:32 AM
Sooooo tempted... Alas, I will not look.

TekHed
2010-10-06, 01:35 AM
DM only (player's keep out).
You aren't peeking, are you? :smallamused:

[roll0]
[roll1]

D'oh. :smallannoyed:

For Calenestal:

No I'm not peeking but when I get email notifications for the threads the email automaticly shows what you put in spoilers... :smalltongue:

Belthasar
2010-10-06, 01:53 AM
No I'm not peeking but when I get email notifications for the threads the email automaticly shows what you put in spoilers... :smalltongue:
Priceless! :smallbiggrin:

TekHed
2010-10-06, 02:06 AM
Nanay Manaq'anra

At the mention of flight the silverhaired elf flashes her newly aquired friend a sly smile and nods. Noticing how they seem to be able to see each other yet makes her suspect the spell to be an Invisibility Sphere and she makes sure to stay close to the human. Before searching the sorceress picks up her little ophidian friend; then, after spoting a suitably thick branch and pointing it out to the human she closes her eyes and seem to concentrate hard. It's not a spell, but something similiar obviously. Suddenly great, white-feathered wings grows from her back unfolding in a soft rustle. When the human is ready for flight she grabs his hand with that same, sly smile and nimbly takes of. A few powerful, but rather silent, wingbeats is all that's necessary to bring her and the wizard to their vantage point.

She has good maneuverability with her supernatural wings. If Elthestral be clumsier in air she'll guide him.

Show Quote from the Dark Crystal:

"Wings? I don't have wings..."

"Of course not silly, you're a boy."

:thog:

Calenestel
2010-10-06, 02:37 AM

To quote the wisdom of Homer: "D'oh!" (What? You didn't think I was talking about some dead greek, did you?)

Serves me right! :smallbiggrin:
You all can look if you wanna. It was nothing important.

"Wings? I don't have wings..."

"Of course not silly, you're a boy."

I must have missed this. Tell me more! :smallsmile:

TekHed
2010-10-06, 03:22 AM
Go rent the movie The Dark Crystal and watch it. Watch it now. You will be happy you did. :)

JelloCat
2010-10-06, 10:47 PM
I forgot to roll my spellcraft so I'll do it here. [roll0]

Kumori
2010-10-07, 02:39 AM
Woot! Natural 20 on my first saving throw of the game...

Calenestel
2010-10-07, 03:44 AM
I REALLY hope I get to attack the caster in melee. Then I would get a crit chance. :smallbiggrin:

Should that be the case:
[roll0]
[roll1] (didn't even use the right damage die, I'll reroll IF that's a hit, which I doubt)

Bleh. :smallyuk:
At least a nat 20 is an automatic hit. :smallamused:

Belthasar
2010-10-07, 06:30 AM
I REALLY hope I get to attack the caster in melee. Then I would get a crit chance. :smallbiggrin:

Should that be the case:
[roll0]
[roll1] (didn't even use the right damage die, I'll reroll IF that's a hit, which I doubt)

Bleh. :smallyuk:
At least a nat 20 is an automatic hit. :smallamused:
I'll make a battle grid for you too.

Calenestel
2010-10-08, 01:19 AM
Now... I don't want to be obnoxious or anything, and it's up to the DM to decide how to set the rules. But I don't understand how Jello could have blown that save with a 22.

Even if the woman have a Int/Cha (I'm assuming she's an arcane caster at any rate, but Wis works just fine as well if she's an unarmoured cleric) of 20 giving her a ability bonus of +5 a Hold Person spell should only have a DC of 18 (10+spell level (3)+Int/Cha/Wis bonus). If the woman's a cleric it's even 17 since it's a second level spell for clerics, not a third level spells as for wizards and sorcerers.

Unless it's another spell that just works exactly like Hold Person or she has a Int/Cha of at least 30 (which both just sound unlikely).

Am I missing something here?

Cheers!

Calenestel
2010-10-08, 01:22 AM
Just reread the posts again and realized that the woman started casting? If I won initiative then I get an Attack of Opportunity (or she'll have to roll Concentration). If I do get one (here's to hoping), then here it is:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Kumori
2010-10-08, 02:02 AM
I could imagine the ability score bonus being a +6, and the caster could be using heighten spell, maybe with spell focus on top of it. It could be a specialist, too.

10 + 5 (heightened spell level) + 6 (int bonus) + 2 (greater spell focus) + 1 (specialist, can't remember if this is a +1 or 2 bonus)
= DC 24

Calenestel
2010-10-08, 02:12 AM
Hm... I actually forgot about feats. :smallredface: That might explain it.

Sorry, Jello, you're screwed. :smallwink:

JelloCat
2010-10-08, 10:55 AM
That's alright, if all else fails Kestral can blast the mage with fire. :smallbiggrin:

Honjuden
2010-10-08, 12:22 PM
You are what...3 levels short of being able to give him spells to cast when people try this kind of thing? A breath weapon is nice, but giving your familiar disintegrate is pretty awesome.

Belthasar
2010-10-08, 12:39 PM
Now... I don't want to be obnoxious or anything, and it's up to the DM to decide how to set the rules. But I don't understand how Jello could have blown that save with a 22.

Even if the woman have a Int/Cha (I'm assuming she's an arcane caster at any rate, but Wis works just fine as well if she's an unarmoured cleric) of 20 giving her a ability bonus of +5 a Hold Person spell should only have a DC of 18 (10+spell level (3)+Int/Cha/Wis bonus). If the woman's a cleric it's even 17 since it's a second level spell for clerics, not a third level spells as for wizards and sorcerers.

Unless it's another spell that just works exactly like Hold Person or she has a Int/Cha of at least 30 (which both just sound unlikely).

Am I missing something here?

Cheers!

He needed a 23 to save.

Hold Monster (5th level spell), plus Int 22 (+6 bonus), spell focus and greater spell focus (+2 total). Total DC=23.

Tadaaaa!:smallbiggrin:

And by the way guys, I'll be posting the reply in, say, one day (work issues). So be patient, that the action will continue. :smallamused:

Meanwhile... Calenestel, make a Will save. I'll post all the results later.

Calenestel
2010-10-08, 01:10 PM
Eeep! :smalleek:

[roll0] BLAST!
Yeah, if unless she casts a first level spell or lesser (fat chance, I say) we're both rather screwed, Jello.
This will be interesting. :smallbiggrin:

JelloCat
2010-10-08, 01:38 PM
I have a couple tricks up my sleeve before we're completely done. I just need to be able to see her first.

Also I rolled a 23 on my last save. :smallbiggrin:

Calenestel
2010-10-08, 01:43 PM
Well... If it's an enchantment spell or a poison, then I can take a third level spell with that save. But I'm still not having any high hopes to actually be able to do much right now. :smalltongue:

Edit: Of course, since she uses Intelligence she ought to be a wizard. Does she have another Hold Monster prepared? :smallwink:

Honjuden
2010-10-08, 08:19 PM
Who knows, it might be a dominate person.

Calenestel
2010-10-09, 12:08 AM
You're just full of cheer, aren't you? :smallamused:

Seriously, though. I know Hold Monster isn't the only possibility, not even the worst. Well... We'll see what it is soon enough. :smalleek:

Honjuden
2010-10-09, 01:04 AM
You guys should be alright. Belthasar would have a pretty sick sense of humor to kill your characters with a pair of save-or-lose spells before you even get an action in your first combat. :smallwink:

Calenestel
2010-10-09, 01:09 AM
Oh, I know, I know.
My true feelings on the matter is more in line with what I said in post #155: "This will be interesting."

But it's fun to act fearful. It usually makes the DM feel good. :smallbiggrin:

Kumori
2010-10-09, 03:53 AM
But it's fun to act fearful. It usually makes the DM feel good. :smallbiggrin:

This is exactly how I feel as a player. Though sometimes when you're acting fearful you get blindsided by a TPK...

Belthasar
2010-10-09, 03:40 PM
Mwa ha hah...:smallbiggrin:

Honjuden
2010-10-09, 06:09 PM
Just waiting on Tekhed.

TekHed
2010-10-09, 07:08 PM
My apologies. My excuse is a poor one...I've been on a binge of applying for games and have let this one slip on posting. I'm cutting myself off from new apps though and it's much less time and effort to play than to get applications sorted so I'll be better from here on out. Now to see about what to do...

Belthasar
2010-10-09, 09:24 PM
138 damage??? TekHed, you're gonna make poor dinosaurs explode... :smalleek:

To Honjuden:

You're first on the initiative order, so make your rolls.

TekHed
2010-10-09, 09:29 PM
If I hit...in retrospect I could have power attacked for 2 less and hit AC 18.

But yeah, Hood builds are optimized for stabbity death from above. :smallsmile:

Kumori
2010-10-09, 10:18 PM
TekHed, I'm a little curious as to how you got your damage so high. Could you either post or PM me a list of the feats and such involved? Thanks.

TekHed
2010-10-09, 10:24 PM
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872838/Little_Red_Raiding_Hood:_A_Tale_of_38;_Guide_to_th e_3.5_Dragoon?pg=1

Click on the first spoiler tag in the second post. My build is a slightly modified version of Tempest Stormwind's build: 2nd post, 2nd page.

Calenestel
2010-10-10, 01:56 AM
Since I'm a klutz. :smallamused:

[roll0]

Edit: You've got to be frickin' KIDDING me! :smallfurious:

Edit2: I forgot the +2 vs. Enchantments. Not that it matters. :smallsigh:

Honjuden
2010-10-10, 12:19 PM
Gotta love an ubercharger that can charge you every turn by jumping on you.

Calenestel
2010-10-10, 12:40 PM
I can't wait until we meet you guys. Spellcasters need meatshields friends BADLY. :smalltongue:

TekHed
2010-10-10, 03:19 PM
Gotta love an ubercharger that can charge you every turn by jumping on you.

That's the idea of a Hood...a fusion between ubercharger and mobilitymonkey.

Kaen isn't really a meatshield. He doesn't stand in the way and take hits...in fact his AC and HP are low for a melee type. He is a scout and surgical striker who's effectivness depends on getting in and getting out.

For meatshield purposes you want T'aella and possibly Kyren (?).

Kumori
2010-10-11, 12:26 AM
Kyren is most definitely not a meatshield. I'm sure she could be, if need arises, by adding a few spells to her spellbook, but she is not built for that. I am a little surprised to see that she doesn't have the worst HP in the group, but with an AC of 14 and only 48 HP, she wouldn't last long in that role....

Belthasar
2010-10-11, 12:28 AM
@Kumori:

The initiative order is:
1) T'aella
2) Kyren
3) The rest

Honjuden
2010-10-11, 12:36 AM
If I had remembered that Anarchic Initiate had a d6 hit die you might have ended up the lowest.

Calenestel
2010-10-11, 01:48 AM
I will roll my will save to break the paralyzation here and post accordingly in the IC game:

[roll0]

Edit: Bwahahahaha! A one and then a three? The random number generator hates me! :smallbiggrin:

Edit2: Now that think of it... We should roll another Will save for the fog? Well, since I won't be able to do anything this round either I'll just post it at the end of my IC post. Then I won't have to do any double posts.

Calenestel
2010-10-11, 01:59 AM
Heh. Well, I'm really a klutz at times... I hit submit before thinking things through. And before rolling that second will save. :smallbiggrin:

[roll0] (+2 if it's an enchantment effect, which I doubt)

Edit: Yeah, give me the good rolls when I don't need them. Sure, you just go ahead. Stupid RNG *Grumbles*

Belthasar
2010-10-11, 11:51 AM
So, Calenestel, let me see...

Your first roll is to break free of the paralysis (16), and the second one is vs the fog (26), right?

Calenestel
2010-10-11, 12:16 PM
Sadly, yes. :smallwink:

Honjuden
2010-10-11, 02:02 PM
It might be fortunate you rolled them in that order after all, the paralysis might nearly be over but the fog is fresh.

Calenestel
2010-10-11, 02:30 PM
Didn't think of that. Heh... I like your optimism. :smallamused:

Honjuden
2010-10-11, 06:05 PM
How far is the smoke plume and the source of the light. I realize they are in different directions, but if they are both within quick scout time in eagle form I may go check them out.

Belthasar
2010-10-11, 06:24 PM
How far is the smoke plume and the source of the light. I realize they are in different directions, but if they are both within quick scout time in eagle form I may go check them out.
You can get a little closer to both and explore from above, but not enough to get to the source it self. If you want to do that, make 2 Spot checks if you want to know more details.

Alternatively, you could get to one of both spots closer enough to figure out what is going on, but it will take you an hour or so (fly speed 80, so you can travel 8 miles in one hour; 16 miles if hustling). If you want to do that, you don't need to make a check, I just tell you what you see (unless you want extraordinary details). The problem is: it's two hours in total, going and returning.

If you have another idea, please post it. :smallwink:

Honjuden
2010-10-11, 06:43 PM
If I can make the spot checks without ditching Kaen then I will do so.
Spot check 1:[roll0]
Spot check 2:[roll1]

Edit: I think I got Calenestel's generator this time.

Can I currently make out the general area of the battle well enough to teleport near it as if I am currently studying it?.

JelloCat
2010-10-11, 07:17 PM
Woops, I forgot to roll my will save.

[roll0]

Calenestel
2010-10-12, 01:15 AM
All right, I'll roll it here instead. :smallsigh:
[roll0] (accidentally removing the + makes for interesting rolls :smalltongue:)

NOW I get the good rolls? :smallbiggrin:

Kumori
2010-10-12, 03:18 PM
Three things:

First: I like the new avatar, JelloCat!

Second: Anyone know what happened to Edro? His posts were always so quick when it was his turn to post, yet now we're left waiting.

Third: to Belthasar:Kyren would not have used the sword she carries to draw her blood. She sees it as a symbol of who she now is rather than as a weapon or tool. It's more likely she would have drawn her blood by biting her thumb or something. Not that it's a big deal or anything, but it is one of those details that make a character unique.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-12, 03:25 PM
Sorry, been caught up in things, i'm going on all my campaigns to catch up now though.

JelloCat
2010-10-12, 03:27 PM
First: I like the new avatar, JelloCat!

Thank you! I'm quite happy with it. :smallbiggrin:

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-12, 03:55 PM
It looks like the cat from the intermission lucky star.

Calenestel
2010-10-12, 04:01 PM
I like the cat too. :smallwink:

Belthasar
2010-10-12, 08:40 PM
@Kumori: Text corrected. Thanks for making me know that detail of your character. :smallwink:

Kumori
2010-10-12, 11:38 PM
I didn't realize it until just now, but I failed to buy any of the costly material components for my spells. May I do that now with what money I have remaining, is there some other alternative, or am I SOL?

Belthasar
2010-10-12, 11:44 PM
I didn't realize it until just now, but I failed to buy any of the costly material components for my spells. May I do that now with what money I have remaining, is there some other alternative, or am I SOL?

Please, do it. Swiftly.:mitd:

Kumori
2010-10-13, 12:03 AM
Please, do it. Swiftly.:mitd:

Done. Sorry for my oversight.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-13, 08:17 PM
*Facepalm* Critical failure

JelloCat
2010-10-13, 08:27 PM
Knowledge Nature: [roll0]

Honjuden
2010-10-13, 08:39 PM
Critical miss on top of a max damage roll...that has to hurt.

Belthasar
2010-10-13, 08:56 PM
I saw a critical on the "confirm critical" roll.

Honjuden
2010-10-13, 10:35 PM
Did I see the area of the battle well enough to teleport to it?

Belthasar
2010-10-13, 10:43 PM
Is considered "viewed once." (76%)

However, if you can get to a high spot to see the area from above, it can be considered "seen casually." (88%)

I'll make the (secret) rolls if you want to teleport.:smallwink:

Honjuden
2010-10-13, 10:46 PM
To Belthasar
Nice, Keribrar likes the chaos so lets have a little fun...I will just be sure not to tell Kaen or the newcomer in character.

Calenestel
2010-10-14, 02:04 AM
No Knowledge (Nature) for Nanay.:smallwink:

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-16, 02:24 PM
Rolling my spot check here

Damn, something happened to my sheet, my skills are missing. Need help people. Anyone remember my skills? And my feats.

Belthasar
2010-10-16, 02:32 PM
Here's (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242398) your sheet... I don't see any missing piece...

Besides, you need to make a Listen check instead of a Spot... unless you want to take a look to the outside...

Whoops, my mistake too, heh...:smallredface:

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-16, 02:34 PM
Here's (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242398) your sheet... I don't see any missing piece...

Besides, you need to make a Listen check instead of a Spot... unless you want to take a look to the outside...

That's not my sheet :smallannoyed:. That's JelloCat's.

This (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=242253) is my sheet

TekHed
2010-10-16, 02:43 PM
Hmm...your skills do indeed seem to be missing. Unfortunately I didn't study your sheet enough to know your skills and feats. Do you really not remember your choices?

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-16, 02:47 PM
Hmm...your skills do indeed seem to be missing. Unfortunately I didn't study your sheet enough to know your skills and feats. Do you really not remember your choices?

Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Improved Unarmed Strike, Versatile Unarmed Stike, Superior Unarmed Strike, Bonus Essentia, Healing Soul, Soulsight

VoP Feats: 2 Animal Devotions, Touch of Golden Ice, Righteous Fury, and one more i can't currently remember

Edit: For skills, needed survival and intimidate, maxxed both. Craft (Weaponsmithing) 1 rank and Craft (Alchemy) maxxed, Never Outnumbered skill trick, can't remember the rest. I know i had ranks in Hide, Move Silently, listen, spot, Knowledge (Nature), and Heal

Belthasar
2010-10-16, 02:52 PM
Hahah, my mistake...

Fortunately, I saved part of the sheet in my desktop. I'll send it to you.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-16, 03:01 PM
Hahah, my mistake...

Fortunately, I saved part of the sheet in my desktop. I'll send it to you.

I can't access the site. Please just put my skill totals here so i can put them back on the sheet.

Belthasar
2010-10-16, 03:08 PM
Okay, here we go...

Ranks first:
5 ranks in Concentration
4 ranks in Craft (weaponsmithing)
8 ranks in Heal, Hide, Listen and Move Silently
12 ranks in Intimidate, Spot, Survival adn Craft (alchemy)

Miscelaneous bonuses:
+2 on Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Perform, Handle Animal, Intimidate and Use Magic Device.

...And the Feats:

Vow of Poverty, Sacred Vow, Improved Unarmed Strike, Healing Soul, Versatile Unarmed Strike, Cobalt Rage, Superior Unarmed Strike, and Bonus Essentia.

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-16, 03:12 PM
Okay, here we go...

Ranks first:
5 ranks in Concentration
4 ranks in Craft (weaponsmithing)
8 ranks in Heal, Hide, Listen and Move Silently
12 ranks in Intimidate, Spot, Survival adn Craft (alchemy)

Miscelaneous bonuses:
+2 on Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Gather Information, Perform, Handle Animal, Intimidate and Use Magic Device.

And the Feats:

Vow of Poverty, Sacred Vow, Improved Unarmed Strike, Healing Soul, Versatile Unarmed Strike, Cobalt Rage, Superior Unarmed Strike, and Bonus Essentia.

Thank you. Now onto my rolls

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

TekHed
2010-10-16, 03:35 PM
Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, Improved Unarmed Strike, Versatile Unarmed Stike, Superior Unarmed Strike, Bonus Essentia, Healing Soul, Soulsight

VoP Feats: 2 Animal Devotions, Touch of Golden Ice, Righteous Fury, and one more i can't currently remember

Edit: For skills, needed survival and intimidate, maxxed both. Craft (Weaponsmithing) 1 rank and Craft (Alchemy) maxxed, Never Outnumbered skill trick, can't remember the rest. I know i had ranks in Hide, Move Silently, listen, spot, Knowledge (Nature), and Heal

Maybe Imperious Command? Synergizes with Never Outnumbered...

EdroGrimshell
2010-10-16, 03:42 PM
Maybe Imperious Command? Synergizes with Never Outnumbered...

They were already posted, i never took never outnumbered (could've sworn i did though *shrugs*), will do so next level though.

Calenestel
2010-10-16, 03:42 PM
All righty... Listen check coming right up:

[roll0]

JelloCat
2010-10-16, 04:22 PM
Listen [roll0]

I can't even hear myself breathing...

Belthasar
2010-10-18, 03:24 PM
To Kumori:

You're right. Your ring made it heal completely before you took damage!

To TekHed:

The female spellcaster is on the ground, unconscious.

To Honjuden:

You're first in the initiative order, so make your action.

TekHed
2010-10-18, 07:58 PM
Does that mean I can pretty much just scoop her up and she is helpless on my initiative turn?

Also, what tools are you using to make your maps? I have anohter DM who is floundering with maps and is looking for new tools/options...

Honjuden
2010-10-18, 08:11 PM
Can I see a map of the area?

Belthasar
2010-10-19, 05:19 PM
@TekHed: I used a combination of Campaign Cartographer 3 and Paint (seriously).

Can I see a map of the area?

Of course. Here (http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/1402/gridhill1.png)it is.

Key: Keribrar, Kaen, Silverthorn (unconscious or dead).

The white W is the spellcaster (unconscious), the rest are:

A (grey): Well-armored human wielding a battleaxe.
A (white): Fat half-orc with a battleaxe, and a longbow.
G: Muscled human with a greatsword.
R: Human with 2 kukris.

The rest is just bushes or trees. The big brown square is supposed to be the hut.

For a special reference, the closer to the hut, the higher the ground.

Honjuden
2010-10-19, 06:11 PM
I screwed up my power resistance roll
[roll0]

Calenestel
2010-10-20, 12:39 AM
Sorry for the delay. University is getting in the way a little. :smalltongue:

Belthasar
2010-10-20, 12:42 AM
Me too, don't worry. :smallwink:

Belthasar
2010-10-20, 01:55 AM
Forgot something: Elthestral and Nanay must roll initiative. :smalltongue:

Calenestel
2010-10-20, 02:15 AM
Oh... Right...
[roll0]

Edit: Hehe. :smallbiggrin:

JelloCat
2010-10-20, 08:51 AM
Init: [roll0]

Oh boy.

Kumori
2010-10-21, 12:03 AM
Sorry for the delay posting there. I had to prepare for a trip coming up tomorrow. I'm gonna be away for the weekend which, depending on my internet access while I'm gone, may mean no posting until Monday. :smallfrown: Sorry for the short notice.

TekHed
2010-10-21, 01:08 AM
Your presence is most valued Kumori. I look forward to you Kyren and T'aella joining with us. Quite the fun adventure and setting so far. :)

Kumori
2010-10-21, 01:57 AM
Soon enough, we six will be all together (If T'aella and Kyren don't die here; Kyren almost did....)

Belthasar
2010-10-21, 05:49 AM
@TekHed:
Keribrar opponent is dazed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#dazed). The other two are stunned (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#stunned).

Honjuden
2010-10-21, 03:44 PM
You have cursed my forum roller Calenestel.

Calenestel
2010-10-21, 03:45 PM
Nope. I switched Random Number Generator with you when you were out to get some more cheetos. :smallbiggrin:

Belthasar
2010-10-23, 12:32 AM
Do I need to roll against stunned opponents? Nonlethal damage.
Yes, you have to. An opponent that is stunned (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#stunned)is not helpless (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#helpless), so it's not an automatic roll or coup de grace. However, it's more difficult for them to defend.

TekHed
2010-10-23, 07:18 PM
Ah. I apologize for being so rusty on the rules and conditions. It seems like there should be some system in DnD to represent that classic scene where someone has a blade pressed to their throat and if they were to make any suddent movements it would go very badly for them. Edit: and also for getting confused about the turn sequence. PbP gets wonky that way sometimes. Which round are we in now?

Anyways...

Smack 1 [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

Smack 2: [roll2]

Damage: [roll3]

One smack for each of the two stunned. More coming if required...

P.S. Calenestel, did you see my post about the Elvish gear Kaen is wearing? It didn't seem like Nanay noticed. Or were you just waiting for after the battle to show her thoughts on it?

Calenestel
2010-10-24, 01:18 AM
I might be waiting for after the battle, yes. :smallamused:

Belthasar
2010-10-24, 11:26 AM
Which round are we in now?

Round four, I think.

The two pirates are still stunned until the next one, and Keribrar's opponent is just dazed... So yes, the battle is still going.:smalltongue:

TekHed
2010-10-24, 05:02 PM
Well Kaen can't make iterative attacks yet so each of those attacks would have been 1 round each. I suppose he would have directed both at the same target if the first blow didn't knock one out entirely.

Once one is knocked out he will move onto the next:

So the previous attack rolls would cover rounds 4 and 5.

Sorry to not be more descriptive in game but Kaen is basically bashing them with a huge flat blade until they go down and then if Keribrar's opponent is still standing he will move to help Keribrar.

Here are some rolls for rounds 6 and 7 (unless something happens).

attack: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

attack: [roll2]
damage: [roll3]

Belthasar
2010-10-25, 05:17 PM
Jello?

Kumori?

Belthasar
2010-10-26, 09:45 PM
Okay, by tomorrow I'll keep things going. :smallwink:

I was waiting for Jello and Kumori to post, but there's no signs of them. I'll make it work somehow.

Calenestel
2010-10-27, 12:29 AM
NPC them for a little while. They just might have hit some IRL problems or such. Happens all the time.

Kumori
2010-10-27, 01:02 AM
I'm back now, sorry for not posting this weekend. I did say I might be gone for a bit...

I'm gonna be away for the weekend which, depending on my internet access while I'm gone, may mean no posting until Monday. :smallfrown: Sorry for the short notice.

Belthasar
2010-10-27, 01:07 AM
That's true. I read it but I forgot! Sorry. :smalltongue:

Kumori
2010-10-27, 01:13 AM
No worries. I'm back now, so as long as the world didn't blow up or anything, it should all be good...

Belthasar
2010-10-27, 06:39 PM
Okay guys, the game can go on!

Only Jello is missing, but Elthestral is last on initiative this round, so he can still do something if he appears. :smallwink:

Calenestel
2010-10-28, 07:55 AM
I haven't disappeared. I'm merely waiting to see if Kaen manages that Wisdom check before posting myself. Gamewise Nanay probably delays to see what the others do when the enemies start surrendering. :smallwink:

TekHed
2010-10-29, 03:33 AM
I'm still here. Had a busy week is all. And, I have 3 day workshops all weekend for the next three weekends so most of my posting will be during the week. Who knew the beggining of November would see such activity?!

Belthasar
2010-10-30, 09:49 PM
@Kumori: Yes, no rider.:smallwink:

Calenestel
2010-10-31, 02:48 AM
Ladies(?) and gentlemen! Nanay's first Arcane Spell Failure! :smalltongue:

Honjuden
2010-11-01, 02:57 PM
Anyone in particular we are waiting on?