PDA

View Full Version : Protection While You Sleep [Item]

Lysander
2010-09-27, 10:54 PM
What do you think of this?

Diadem of Safe Slumber
This thin silver circlet is decorated with a single teardrop shaped moonstone. Its magic can only protect a person when they are asleep. When the wearer is asleep they no longer automatically count as a willing subject when targeted by harmful spells. Furthermore the subject gains a +2 morale bonus on their will saves against mind-affecting spells and effects that only affect sleeping subjects. Finally, the diadem will instantly wake them from normal sleep if they are attacked; they are never helpless due to normal sleep and can attempt to avoid the attack.
Moderate abjuration; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, Protection From Evil, 2000gp.

Temotei
2010-09-27, 10:59 PM
I think it should allow protection from chaos/evil/good/law, instead of just protection from evil.

Cieyrin
2010-09-29, 01:30 PM
Will it alert you if someone removes the Diadem? That seems like a necessity, honestly.

Lysander
2010-09-29, 03:37 PM
Will it alert you if someone removes the Diadem? That seems like a necessity, honestly.

Hmm, it doesn't as written. Wouldn't a person be entitled to some kind of check to sense it being taken off their head so they'd wake up anyway?

Morph Bark
2010-09-29, 03:42 PM
Hmm, it doesn't as written. Wouldn't a person be entitled to some kind of check to sense it being taken off their head so they'd wake up anyway?

Besides a Listen check with a -10 penalty maybe, no.

Chess435
2010-09-29, 04:05 PM
Give it an alarm effect if anyone touches it while you're sleeping.

Epsilon Rose
2010-09-29, 04:09 PM
Ya-know it might be easier to make this some kind of charm or something, instead of a circlet, so they'd have to search you to find it. I mean that might be a bad idea for a normal magic item that you'd want on all the time, but you'll probably only put this on right before you sleep anyways.

boomwolf
2010-09-29, 11:07 PM
Its good as-is. but I would not use as a general rule because it becomes a must-use item for anyone who got the spare 2000, too much of a valuable protection for very little money.

DracoDei
2010-09-29, 11:16 PM
Auto-fail on Will saves while sleeping is lame. I don't use that rule (I need to remembber to TELL my players that...).

I would recommend making this item a pillow.

2,000 sounds... about right I guess.

Lev
2010-09-30, 04:25 AM
Why would they?

Kumori
2010-09-30, 04:41 AM
I second the 'Make it a pillow' idea. You don't see any magic pillows in DnD.

Morph Bark
2010-09-30, 05:07 AM
I second the 'Make it a pillow' idea. You don't see any magic pillows in DnD.

You also don't see magic pants in DnD.

For this reason, I think it is entirely likely for a DnD world to be pantsless.

Kumori
2010-09-30, 05:26 AM

I think I can honestly say that I had never noticed the lack of pants... I have had magic pants in the past, usually things the G/DM made up to give as an item, and I expect that that may be why I never noticed, but wow... I'm a little taken aback by that oversight...

Lev
2010-09-30, 12:48 PM
You can have magic whatever as long as it fills up the certain magic body slot.

Cieyrin
2010-09-30, 01:52 PM
Why would they?

Why would they remove the diadem before trying to affect you with whatever? If the attacker is aware of it, why wouldn't you want to remove any defenses from your victim so you can be that more effective at screwing them up?

I wholeheartedly agree! I railed about this a while ago, as it's a noticeably empty part of the Christmas Tree effect, as every other part part is covered, from the waist up and then the feet but nothing between. No magic codpieces, pants, trousers, chaps or anything! Disappointing, that is!

You can have magic whatever as long as it fills up the certain magic body slot.

That's the thing, is each body slot has an affinity for certain magic effects, that if you don't match 'em up, it costs extra, for balance purposes. Also, since there isn't a pants slot, it becomes essentially slotless, which costs double, which is annoying as hell. :smallannoyed:

EDIT: Oh, and I agree with making this item a magic pillow. Who expects a magic pillow, really? Plus, no needing to worry about switching out head slot items every day this way.

Lev
2010-09-30, 03:59 PM
Why would they remove the diadem before trying to affect you with whatever? If the attacker is aware of it, why wouldn't you want to remove any defenses from your victim so you can be that more effective at screwing them up?
How exactly would they be aware of it?

Chess435
2010-09-30, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I rather like the magic pillow idea :smallbiggrin:

Debihuman
2010-09-30, 04:40 PM
How much does it weigh? It'd be like a tiara only less ornate and would probably fall off your head if you slept on it. It should take up a Head slot too.

Debby

Cieyrin
2010-09-30, 04:44 PM
How exactly would they be aware of it?

Detect Magic, Analyze Dweomer, Artificer's Monocle, simple Gather Information checks, etc. It's not a matter of whether it could be found out so much as what you do about it when you do have that info on hand. D&D isn't played in a vacuum where there is a perfect counter for everything. All I'm suggesting is, should a would-be mind warper sneak into your room at night and be aware that you've taken special precautions against such intrusions, shouldn't there be some kind of mental alarm if somebody were to remove the diadem from you, perhaps as an extension of the 'Awake when attacked' clause at the end of the item.

EDIT:
How much does it weigh? It'd be like a tiara only less ornate and would probably fall off your head if you slept on it. It should take up a Head slot too.

Debby

I assumed since it was a circlet, that it would already take up the Head slot. :smallconfused:

Lev
2010-09-30, 07:33 PM
Detect Magic, Analyze Dweomer, Artificer's Monocle, simple Gather Information checks, etc. It's not a matter of whether it could be found out so much as what you do about it when you do have that info on hand. D&D isn't played in a vacuum where there is a perfect counter for everything.
Then why make one?

I'm in favor of leaving flaws.

Cieyrin
2010-10-01, 01:32 PM
Then why make one?

I'm in favor of leaving flaws.

Then I guess we'll agree to disagree on that point, then, as extending the attack clause to include disturbing of the person using the Diadem isn't that much of an extension, especially of a purely defensive item that may or may not come up much. I expressed my opinion on that there should be such and I'm sticking to my guns, thanks.