PDA

View Full Version : Incorporeality and AMF

jseah
2010-09-28, 09:39 AM
So it has come up that a friend has made a character (using gestalt rules so not CO kosher) that was both incorporeal and not undead.

Question, how do you kill an incorporeal creature inside an AMF?

The answers we thought of:

Disjunction
Initiate of Mystra
Incantatrix sculpting away the AMF
[requires houserules] Weaponized Wall of Force via Ring Gate abuse
EDIT: Blast with an orb of force
Invoke Magic to blast with anything else <SL4
Dimers: Soulknife can manifest a mindblade in an AMF
Curmudgeon: Serren Wood has a non-magical Ghost Touch effect (arrows made with it will work)
Celsius: The Etherblade has a non-magical ray of force touch attack
Hamishpence: DR/magic grants the ability to attack with "magical" natural weapons, just need a DR/magic that isn't magical
- having reach could possibly work

Any others?
I'm looking especially for any force effects that aren't magical. All of the above seem to require specific builds... =/

BeholderSlayer
2010-09-28, 09:47 AM
There is a spell, Invoke Spell, which allows you to cast a level 4 or lower spell into an AMF, but it's a level 9 spell and only works for 1 spell. Pretty expensive.

jseah
2010-09-28, 10:11 AM
Ah yes, how could I forget, Invoke Magic, sorc/wiz 9.

Invoke Magic then blast an orb of force.

Cyrion
2010-09-28, 10:17 AM
What is the source of his being incorporeal? Will that also be affected by the AMF?

Call (not summon) a creature that has DR /magic. It can pound on him with the standard 50% miss chance.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-28, 10:19 AM
What is the source of his being incorporeal? Will that also be affected by the AMF?

Call (not summon) a creature that has DR /magic. It can pound on him with the standard 50% miss chance.

dr/magic is supernatural and thus supressed inside the AMF. or was it the magic weapon bit that was supressed? Either way you don't get to magic your weapons in the amf.

Cyrion
2010-09-28, 10:25 AM
dr/magic is supernatural and thus supressed inside the AMF. or was it the magic weapon bit that was supressed? Either way you don't get to magic your weapons in the amf.

The DR may be suppressed, but incorporeal creatures may be hit by creatures that possess the quality because the creatures themselves bypass DR /magic.

From the SRD (Emphasis mine):

An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities.

Dimers
2010-09-28, 10:33 AM
I believe the simplest answer lies within a tier-5 class: the soulknife can manifest her ghost-touch mindblade even within an antimagic zone. :smallbiggrin:

jseah
2010-09-28, 10:33 AM
The source of the incorporeality in question was a homebrewed Shadow Demon monster class.
It's for an arena and he eventually went with another build but the question stayed with me so I decided to ask since one of my players did play an Unbodied (game is long dead though) and just plain out of curiousity.

I checked the Monk's Ki Strike. That's (Su).
Are there other things that bypass Dr/Magic that aren't (Su) or otherwise magical?

Also, I must be really sleepy. Orbs ignore AMF. Invoke Magic then becomes a general trump card.

jseah
2010-09-28, 10:37 AM
I believe the simplest answer lies within a tier-5 class: the soulknife can manifest her ghost-touch mindblade even within an antimagic zone. :smallbiggrin:
That... That actually works. Wow. Nice.

It is a soulknife though, so won't cut it in an arena, but this is all theoretical anyway.

hamishspence
2010-09-28, 10:37 AM
Stone Dragon Mountain Hammer manuevers- bypass any damage reduction. And are Extraordinary.

An unarmed fighter with natural DR/magic could use those maneuvers- and while the DR would go away, the ability to damage incorporeal creatures (still with a 50% miss chance) wouldn't.

jseah
2010-09-28, 10:43 AM
Stone Dragon Mountain Hammer manuevers- bypass any damage reduction.

An unarmed fighter with natural DR/magic could use those maneuvers- and while the DR would go away, the ability to damage incorporeal creatures (still with a 50% miss chance) wouldn't.
Interesting. That is something I had missed.

from d20srd:

Some monsters are vulnerable to magic weapons. Any weapon with at least a +1 magical enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls overcomes the damage reduction of these monsters. Such creatures’ natural weapons (but not their attacks with weapons) are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
So we need monsters with dr/magic that isn't magical in nature. That would appear to solve the question.

Also, I'm not sure if the Stone Dragon maneuvers would work. They appear to be an exception to
"A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks"
requirement to damaging them normally, instead of giving your weapon all those qualities.

hamishspence
2010-09-28, 10:47 AM
If the field can be brought down somehow, and the incorporeality overcome, Stone Dragon maneuvers work on anything with DR. Even DR/-.

I think the FAQ states that DR/Magic, DR/alignment, and DR/cold iron or DR/Silver are supernatural, whereas DR/slashing/piercing/bludgeoning, DR/-, and DR/adamantine, are Extraordinary.

So, in theory, you shouldn't be able to get a DR/magic that works in an antimagic field.

But maybe, if you're a race that naturally gets it (gargoyle?) your weapons would still strike as magic even if your DR is gone?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-28, 10:55 AM
Simple answer: get a quarterstaff, club, arrows, or other normally wooden weapons made of serren wood (Book of Exalted Deeds, page 38). Serren wood provides a nonmagical ghost touch effect, so you'll hit incorporeal creatures normally (no 50% miss chance).

Dimers
2010-09-28, 11:05 AM
Simple answer: get a quarterstaff, club, arrows, or other normally wooden weapons made of serren wood (Book of Exalted Deeds, page 38). Serren wood provides a nonmagical ghost touch effect, so you'll hit incorporeal creatures normally (no 50% miss chance).

Yes! Even simpler than the soulknife, because it's not class-dependent. Although the entry on serren wood says it can only be applied to bows, arrows and bolts, for whatever wacky reason.

Celsius
2010-09-28, 11:18 AM
Here's a nonmagical force effect:

Page 68 of the Fiend Folio has a nonmagical weapon that can fire a ray of force touch attack: the Etherblade. Presumably you could find a way to stack damage on this (not really too difficult from personal experience) :smallbiggrin:

jseah
2010-09-28, 11:23 AM
Curmudgeon:
Yes, Serren Wood is exactly the thing. Arrows or just clubs built with it.

Thanks!

jseah
2010-09-28, 11:42 AM
hamishpence:
Your creature with DR/magic with sufficient reach to remain out of the AMF would seem to work.

Then it can be any old DR/magic + natural weapons.