PDA

View Full Version : Immortality and AMF

Thrawn183
2010-09-28, 10:45 AM
So if you have gained Immortality through some magical means, would you die if you walked into an AMF?

I'm speaking of some sort of effect with a permanent duration as I'd assume an effect with an instantaneous duration wouldn't be affected.

Emperor Ing
2010-09-28, 10:47 AM
Theoretically that means that you can end zombie apocalypses by literally throwing AMF manacles around town.

Otherwise, while it makes sense it's up to GM Fiat. Maybe you can homebrew some Dispel Damage effects?

Milskidasith
2010-09-28, 10:48 AM
Theoretically that means that you can end zombie apocalypses by literally throwing AMF manacles around town.

Uhh... zombies aren't magic.

kamikasei
2010-09-28, 10:48 AM
Depends on the nature of the immortality. You might also just start to age normally again for the duration of your stay, rather than reverting to your "true age" and crumbling to dust or anything in that vein.

SilverLeaf167
2010-09-28, 10:49 AM
Uhh... zombies aren't magic.
But the forces animating them are. Disable the forces, and the zombie is just a normal corpse.

hamishspence
2010-09-28, 10:50 AM
Isn't the Immortality of Cloud Anchorites (Frostburn) an Extraordinary ability- so they wouldn't need to worry?

But the forces animating them are. Disable the forces, and the zombie is just a normal corpse.

I think the Rules Compendium clarifies that for corporeal undead, an antimagic field won't kill them- though it will disable magical protections.

jmbrown
2010-09-28, 10:51 AM
What kamikasei said. It depends on whether the DM rules you instantly advance in age a la Indiana Jones or time just starts affecting your body normally.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-28, 11:12 AM
It depends on on how you did it.
If you did Druid Reincarnation Cult 'immortality', I say it would do nothing.
Animate dead is an instantaneous spell. Once it does it's job, reanimating a dead body as an automata powered by negative energy, the magic leaves. A corporal undead is no more likely to be deactivated by a AMF then ordinary positive energy life

Lysander
2010-09-28, 11:20 AM
Magical constructs and undead are self-sufficient once created and unaffected by an AMF (though any supernatural abilities they have are):

The spell has no effect on golems and other constructs that are imbued with magic during their creation process and are thereafter self-supporting (unless they have been summoned, in which case they are treated like any other summoned creatures). Elementals, corporeal undead, and outsiders are likewise unaffected unless summoned.