PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best Fighter fix/homebrew out there?

Mikka
2010-09-28, 03:31 PM
? I need it for one of my players

Cheesy74
2010-09-28, 03:34 PM
That depends. What power level are you looking for? Are you trying to keep the original spirit of the fighter? How many options do you want your player to have?

The typical answer is to have them play a Warblade from Tome of Battle, which is basically a fighter analogue with the melee equivalent of spells, but the answers to the above questions could affect what fix is best for you.

Mikka
2010-09-28, 03:36 PM
That depends. What power level are you looking for? Are you trying to keep the original spirit of the fighter? How many options do you want your player to have?

The typical answer is to have them play a Warblade from Tome of Battle, which is basically a fighter analogue with the melee equivalent of spells, but the answers to the above questions could affect what fix is best for you.

Not an initiator,

Not ridiculously empowered like most homebrew i see. Just something that makes fighter a little more interesting/charming/different while preferably retaining the bonus feats. Im running an E6 campaign and i have a player wanting to play a fighter, after level 6, every 5000 xp you get an extra feat instead of levelling up, so the fighter will soon have a bitter taste in his mouth if he hasn't got some unique abilities of his own.

Im just interested in seeing whats out there, i can remember seeing some good ones but i can't quite find them again.

Ernir
2010-09-28, 04:09 PM
Best? You'll find as many different opinions on that as there are fixes. And there be maaaaaaaaaany.

I have one, see my sig. I also like This one. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30692)

Mongoose87
2010-09-28, 04:15 PM
If you're in E6, a couple ideas are things like allowing the Fighter access to feats that increase his BaB up to a total of 8, a feat that allows him to make a second attack, even after moving, a feat to remove movement penalties for heavy armor, things like that. Make sure only the fighter gets them.

Mikka
2010-09-28, 10:50 PM
Thanks Mongoose87 but i already familiarized myself with the E6 rules : )

Don't tell me theres only 2 fighter fixes out there? : O

Roc Ness
2010-09-28, 10:56 PM
I enjoy Lix Lorn's Fighter Fixes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151350). There are actually three in there, one for each mental stat.

Mongoose87
2010-09-28, 11:33 PM
Thanks Mongoose87 but i already familiarized myself with the E6 rules : )

Don't tell me theres only 2 fighter fixes out there? : O

Are any of those things I mentioned in the default rules? I didn't think they were.

Mikka
2010-09-29, 12:06 AM
The "Lean upwards approach" its not in the actual rules, just described/suggested on every general discussion of E6.

The other players get something they can build onto as well, so, thats not that much of a bonus and face it, +X bonus isn't really that exciting for a fighter but thats all hes getting with that approach, which is why im looking for something more : )

Mongoose87
2010-09-29, 12:32 AM
You know what could be neat? Letting 6th-level Fighters take some of the critical feats from Pathfinder.

Realms of Chaos
2010-09-29, 12:53 AM
Hmmm... some people happen to like my fighter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140278)

It cuts back on bonus feats a bit but it allows a greater amount of customizability and allows for flexible combat.

Mikka
2010-09-29, 02:13 AM
Hmmm... some people happen to like my fighter (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140278)

It cuts back on bonus feats a bit but it allows a greater amount of customizability and allows for flexible combat.

Wow *_*

This is wonderful, keeping it mundane while making him much much more interesting and unique, not only does it mean other classes can't match him with a few feats it makes every single fighter different from each other : O

Krazddndfreek
2010-09-29, 02:26 AM
+1 to Realm's Fighter. It's definitely my favorite fighter fix. I was going to suggest it, but I wasn't sure whether it was too powerful for your liking.

Nero24200
2010-09-29, 07:05 AM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159429&highlight=Fighter+Fixes) contains a list of homebrew fighter fixes. I don't think it's a complete list and theres likely to be alot of fixes not there, but hopefully it can help.

Hawriel
2010-09-29, 12:29 PM
I'd Tell you mine but Pathfinder came out and I liked their's better.

Look at the Pathfinder fighter. It gives a nice boost to 3rd eds old fighter. Pathfinder's Advanced Players guide really makes it a versitile class.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/classes/fighter.html#fighter

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-29, 12:34 PM
An old work of mine, specifically designed for an E6 campaign.

The Fighter
Hit Points: 7

Skill Points at each level: 4 + Int Modifier

Table 1-1 The Fighter
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0| Bonus Feat, Adaptable Focus

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+0| Weapon Mastery I, Dodge Roll 1/encounter

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1| Bonus Feat, Battle Hardened

4th|
+4|
+4|
+2|
+1| Weapon Mastery II, Dodge Roll 2/encounter

5th|
+5|
+4|
+2|
+1| Bonus Feat, Focused Strike

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+3|
+2| Paragon (Perfect Form), Dodge Roll 3/encounter [/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Fighters are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (except tower shields).

Bonus Feat: At 1st level, the fighter gains a bonus feat drawn from the list of fighter bonus feats. He must meet the prerequisites of the feat to select it.

At 3rd and 5th level the fighter gains an additional bonus feat from the list of fighter bonus feats.

Adaptable Focus: Beginning at 1st level, the fighter learns wield weapons with great skill. He may select a number of weapons equal to ½ his class level (rounded down, minimum 1) at the beginning of each day. As long as a weapon is selected, the fighter gains a +1 bonus to attack rolls with that weapon. If he has the Weapon Focus feat, he may select a new weapon to apply it to when he makes this selection. The bonus granted by Adaptable Focus does not stack with the bonus granted by Weapon Focus.

Dodge Roll: Beginning at 2nd level, the fighter learns to dodge attacks with great skill. Once per encounter, as an immediate action, he may declare he is dodging a single melee attack that would have otherwise struck him. This action must be declared before damage is dealt, and turns the successful attack into a miss. Additionally, the fighter may take a 5ft step immediately after using this ability.

At 4th level, the fighter may use this ability twice per encounter. At 6th level he may use it three times per encounter.

Weapon Mastery: Beginning at 2nd level, the fighter begins to master the use of weaponry. He increases the critical threat range of all weapons he wields by 1. This ability applies after such effects as the keen weapon property or the Weapon Focus feat.

At 4th level, the fighter’s ability improves again. He increases the critical multiplier of all weapons he wields by 1.

Battle Hardened: Beginning at 3rd level, the fighter learns to toughen his resolve and quicken his reflexes. He receives a +2 bonus to Initiative and to saves against fear effects.

Focused Strike: Beginning at 5th level, the fighter becomes one with his weapons. He receives a bonus equal to ½ his class level to damage with any weapon he has Weapon Focus with.

Paragon (Perfect Form): At 6th level, the fighter is the indisputable master of any battle. He gains a +1 bonus to any two ability scores of her choice. Additionally, once per round he may take 10 on an attack roll. He must decide to use this ability before rolling to hit.

Lysander
2010-09-29, 03:44 PM
This is a tongue and cheek fighter fix I made. It might not fit the tone of your campaign though I think it's pretty balanced: Badass Fighter of Destiny (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150257)

Mikka
2010-09-29, 04:27 PM
This is a tongue and cheek fighter fix I made. It might not fit the tone of your campaign though I think it's pretty balanced: Badass Fighter of Destiny (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150257)

lol : p i love it, perhaps not for my game but if i ever do a lighthearted one i'll be on that fighter like. . i don't even know :thog:

Mongoose87
2010-09-29, 06:00 PM
Paragon (Perfect Form): At 6th level, the fighter is the indisputable master of any battle. He gains a +1 bonus to any two ability scores of her choice. Additionally, once per round he may take 10 on an attack roll. He must decide to use this ability before rolling to hit.

Who is she, and why does she get to decide?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-29, 06:07 PM
Who is she, and why does she get to decide?

Copypasta'd much of the wording from the Scout, where I believe I used the female pronoun. Just forgot to edit it.

However, since you asked, she is Ukinanni, the Lady of Dreams. She gets to decide because all of reality is but a figment of her slumbering imagination. :smallbiggrin:

Chambers
2010-09-29, 07:46 PM
Fighter Revision. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161103) :smallsmile: