PDA

View Full Version : Portable Tree [PF/3.5]

Runeclaw
2010-09-28, 05:48 PM
Other than just putting one in a pot and dragging it along, what's the best way to have access to a tree (big enough for Transport Via Plant) while crossing a desert? I'm imagining being able to turn my staff into a tree, or the something similar. Like Changestaff, except I don't need it to be a treant, just an ordinary tree. An (affordable) item or spell. I'm a 12th level Druid.

Siosilvar
2010-09-28, 06:06 PM
Quaal's Feather Token (Tree). 400gp, DMG or SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#tree).

Eldrys
2010-09-28, 06:12 PM
AFB right now, but I remember there being a special type of wood in, I think RoTW that is still alive, which says you can use Transport Via Plant and Tree Stride on a staff made out if it

MightyIgoo
2010-09-28, 06:13 PM
Also handy for tossing in the mouths of larger monsters. Hilarious results!

Darrin
2010-09-28, 06:19 PM
AFB right now, but I remember there being a special type of wood in, I think RoTW that is still alive, which says you can use Transport Via Plant and Tree Stride on a staff made out if it

Livewood. Eberron Campaign Setting p 127.

Phylactery of Change (A&EG p. 135) could also be interesting... tell your companion/familiar/cohort/etc. to polymorph into a Treant whenever you need to treestride.

Runeclaw
2010-09-28, 06:23 PM
Hmm. The Feather Token is interesting. I could whip up a few of those, I suppose. I'd rather have something reusable, but I guess I wouldn't necessarily need one that often.

I'll check out RoW - a staff that could be used for Transport Via Plant would be amazing. Usually it has to be Medium or larger, though, unless there's a specific exception.

Eldrys
2010-09-28, 06:23 PM

Phylactery of Change (A&EG p. 135) could also be interesting... tell your companion/familiar/cohort/etc. to polymorph into a Treant whenever you need to treestride.

Darn it! I knew I got something wrong!

Runeclaw
2010-09-28, 06:24 PM

Hmm, can't use Eberron specific materials most likely, I'm in the Realms.

I was thinking I could walk through treants if it came down to it, but after rereading Transport Via Plants, that's specifically not allowed.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-28, 07:07 PM
Listen to Siosilvar, they speak truth.
Feather Token Trees are probably your best bet. Just plant one at home base and take one out at your stopping point.

ericgrau
2010-09-28, 11:03 PM
Awaken (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/awaken.htm) a tree and bring it with you. Liveoak (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/liveoak.htm) might work too, but it has limitations.

I'd do some kind of combination such as awaken + a couple backup feather tokens in case the giant tree thing traveling with you is destroyed.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-28, 11:43 PM
*Ahem*

You can’t use this spell to travel through plant creatures. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/TransportviaPlants.htm)
Sorry.

BobVosh
2010-09-28, 11:53 PM
Even more reason to use live oak. Live oak a tree, have it animate two trees into a treant (without the animate ability), go kill or whatever. Have your liveoaked treant dismiss his ability when you need to teleport.

Gan The Grey
2010-09-29, 04:17 AM
EDIT Me thinks I should learn to read the 1st post before going off all half-cawked. Still, I like the mental picture my idea conjures.

WARNING!!!! Filled with won't-workness.

If you don't mind having to be within 5ft of it at all times, just cast Tree Shape and have your target be your animal companion. Lasts 12 hours at your level, and if someone decides to come screw with the mangy guy lounging beneath the large tree in the middle of the desert, you stand up and walk towards them, and suddenly the tree becomes an angry snarling beasty of vengeance. Good times all around.

Emperor Tippy
2010-09-29, 04:35 AM
The Feather Token is your best bet. Ask your DM if you can get a reusable one for 50 times the cost, although 20K GP might be a bit expensive.

Or ask your DM if you can create a spell that does exactly what the feather token does.

ericgrau
2010-09-29, 06:37 AM
*Ahem*
Originally Posted by D20SRD:Transport via Plants
You can’t use this spell to travel through plant creatures.
Sorry.
You can change the target of animate plants as a move action. Carry a ficus or w/e with you.

Live oak works but has fluff restrictions that don't work well with traveling to random places.