PDA

View Full Version : 4e Please Critique this build

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-28, 07:19 PM
This is an possible replacement for a charactr I have in a paragon campaing (as we are going against a Frost Giand and we recently gained the enemity of the lord of third, the possibiity of death is quite high)

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Azthakoi, level 11
Longtooth Shifter, Swordmage|Avenger, Moonstalker
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid): Aegis of Assault
Hybrid Avenger: Hybrid Avenger Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Avenger's Censure (Hybrid)
Avenger's Censure: Censure of Pursuit
Background: Shifter - Persecution (+2 to Stealth)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 18, Wis 20, Cha 9.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 11, Dex 15, Int 15, Wis 15, Cha 8.

AC: 21 Fort: 20 Reflex: 22 Will: 24
HP: 86 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 21

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +13, Religion +14, Stealth +15, Arcana +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +8, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +10, Endurance +8, Heal +10, History +9, Insight +10, Intimidate +4, Nature +10, Perception +10, Streetwise +4, Thievery +8

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: White Lotus Riposte
Level 4: Melee Training (Wisdom)
Level 6: Weapon Proficiency (Fullblade)
Level 8: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 10: Arcane Initiate
Level 11: Painful Oath

POWERS
Arcane Initiate: Magic Missile
Hybrid at-will 1: Overwhelming Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Greenflame Blade
Hybrid encounter 1: Lightning Clash
Hybrid daily 1: Steelsworn Oath
Hybrid utility 2: Dimensional Warp
Hybrid encounter 3: Fury's Advance
Hybrid daily 5: Swordmage Shielding Fire
Hybrid utility 6: Cloaked Steps
Hybrid encounter 7: Rejuvenating Strike
Hybrid daily 9: Winds of Woe
Hybrid utility 10: Armor of Assault

ITEMS
Bloodthread Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing) +2, Melegaunt's Darkblade Fullblade +3, Amulet of Protection +3
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Still have about 5k GP to spend after the level appropiate ones, not sure about multiclass wizard...but meh

Kurald Galain
2010-09-28, 07:28 PM
Ask yourself: why do you want to be a hybrid? Are you primarily a striker, or primarily a defender? Related to this, starting with dex, int, wis 15 means your accuracy and defenses suffer.

You would likely be much more effective as a swordmage/wizard hybrid, taking an avenger multiclass feat, using at least an 18 int and ignoring dex.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-28, 07:31 PM
I am dead set on hybrid I feel that I have more options this way). My intention is to be a primary striker with a secondary enphasis on defending

Avenger|swordmage just came up because I liked the idea of it

Also I am avoiding Wizard|Swordmage cause there is another one in the party right now

HMS Invincible
2010-09-28, 07:52 PM
Are optimized hybrids any good?

ghost_warlock
2010-09-28, 10:07 PM
Avenger|Swordmage is way too MAD.

I wonder how a druidic avenger would work out.

Blackfang108
2010-09-28, 11:23 PM
I am dead set on hybrid I feel that I have more options this way). *you really don't; it just seems that way* My intention is to be a primary striker with a secondary enphasis on defending *Pursuit Avenger - on its own - is this Exactly*

Avenger|swordmage just came up because I liked the idea of it *It's Rather MAD*

My responses above in bold.

A hybrid doesn't give you more options. it's gives you the ILLUSION of more options. A Pursuit Avenger (WIS/DEX) will be a primary striker with a reasonable defender Minor. You would be better served Multiclassing into a defender from a real class than to chose the "I don't know what I want to be" that is a hybrid, at least for this concept. Especially because of action economy.

cdrcjsn
2010-09-29, 12:17 AM
I agree with others that you're stretched too thin with the choices you've made.

I think Swordmage/Wizard is about the only hybrid that's probably stronger than its component classes. The rest give up quite a lot to achieve their versatility.

I've found a single classed Bard with scale armor proficiency, and sticking to weapon based attacks to be one of the most versatile characters I've played in 4e.

The ability to MC into a lot of classes at the cost of a feat is quite powerful when it comes to versatility. You can easily switch between leader, striker and defender roles.

Taking the Paladin MC feat as a Bard for example allows you to use it normally as a defender, or use it offensively by attacking at range and letting the damage go off as it attacks someone else.

You can also take a lot of the striker MC feats (hunter, assassin, rogue, barbarian, etc), space them out and do striker level damage over the course of an encounter, or use them all at once and go Nova.

Reluctance
2010-09-29, 12:19 AM
Are optimized hybrids any good?

They are if you know what you're doing and are working towards a goal. The problem with hybrids is that too many new players like them in concept - who wouldn't like to be good at two things rather than just one - in practice they lead to people spreading themselves too thin and being unable to adequately perform any of their jobs.

Kurald Galain
2010-09-29, 04:36 AM
Blackfang is correct that you don't really get more options as a hybrid. In play, you have the exact same amount of options as everybody else - minus the class features that hybrids don't get, and minus one feat that you spent on Hybrid Talent. You do get a somewhat greater list of choices during character creation, of course, but if a class has one or two good options at a level then you're going to use those anyway, regardless of how long the list is that you can pick from.

Anyway. If you're dead set on using a hybrid, I would strongly recommend picking two classes that share the same primary attribute. The problem with avenger|swordmage is that avenger runs on wis and has no use for int, whereas swordmage runs on int and has no use for wis. Your current build takes a permanent -2 to hit compared to everyone else, is that what you want?

Melee Training is only useful if you're going to make a lot of basic attacks, which most classes don't. White Lotus Riposte doesn't work on avenger powers nor on Magic Missile. MM is not such a great choice for wizard multiclass anyway, with your wis I'd recommend Thunderwave. And if you intend to be a primary striker, I'd suggest adding more feats or items that boost your damage.

Tengu_temp
2010-09-29, 07:24 AM
The problem with avenger|swordmage is that avenger runs on wis and has no use for int, whereas swordmage runs on int and has no use for wis.

Actually, you can be a wis/int avenger. But everything else... yeah, with stats spread so thin, and hybridizing between those two classes, this character is going to suck pretty bad. Just be an avenger and pump your defenses - even after getting hit by the nerfbat for the third time they can still pull off highest AC from all non-defenders.

This is an possible replacement for a charactr I have in a paragon campaing (as we are going against a Frost Giand and we recently gained the enemity of the lord of third, the possibiity of death is quite high)

High possibility of death? In paragon-level 4e? I doubt it. Especially since you should have access to the Raise Dead ritual already.

Mando Knight
2010-09-29, 11:08 AM
even after getting hit by the nerfbat for the third time they can still pull off highest AC from all non-defenders.

And all without wearing a shirt, either. :smalltongue: