PDA

View Full Version : Make Way For The Lightning Rail [3.5 Eberron] IC

Pages : [1] 2

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-29, 07:27 AM
The train glides along through the countryside, a wilent whisper between the trees. The coach you're in is awkwardly quiet. Everybody knows where you're headed, but the nature of the destination doesn't bear talking about. Every now and then a human female comes up and down the carriage with a trolley carrying refreshments and small snacks. She is polite but seems distant, regarding you with strange looks when she thinks you're not looking. When somebody actively chooses to enter the Mournland there must be something wrong with them right?

The carriage is full of people of varying sizes, genders and races. There are no distinct groups, nobody seems to have congregated together or organised themselves into units. Everybody seems to be a loner, with their own reasons for being here. There are maybe 40 souls, all told, but none especially stick out. But then again when everybody sticks out nobody does. But then again it seems that all people who take up this kind of work are of the...stranger kind. There are definitely more social outcasts in here than your average community. But then, it takes a certain kind of person to take a certain kind of job.

But House Orien cares not for their motives, only that they can get the job done. They're well aware that most of the applicants won't be able to cut it and will lose themselves in the Mournland, succumbing to madness, fatigue, insomnia or disease. They're the lucky ones. Those unfortunate souls who are found by the roving bands of bandits or the mysterious figure known as the Lord of Blades and his fanatical followers have a far graver outcome. Though knowledge is scarce as none of them ever come back to tell the tale.

Over the intercom comes the voice of the carriage maid, a quick but informative broadcast. "Attention everybody, we will be pulling into Vathirond in 15 minutes. If you could all prepare and pack away your belongings so we may streamline your departure. Have a good day and thank your for travelling on the Orien Lightning Rail."

So what is everybody doing?

Sheets (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9440391#post9440391)
OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169772)

TekHed
2010-09-29, 03:03 PM
The stewardess doesn't quite manage to supress her gasp when, as she is about to leave the cabin for the hospitality station outside, two black wickedly sharp horns duck through the main hatch. They are quickly followed by a massive head ducking through and shouldering his way into the compartment. Her eyes widen involuntarily as the black-armored warrior stands nearly up to his full height. He is still slightly stooped however so as not to gouge the ceiling and his width fairly fills up the entire aisle. As his second shoulder makes it through the comparitively tiny hatch a long parcel, longer than a man and wide, wrapped in silken cloth pokes through being held in his other five fingered guantlet. It's wrapped like a sword but surely it is far too large to be wielded as a weapon even for a being of this size and strength.

Looking down grimly upon the shaken female, she averts her eyes automaticly, falling on the comfort of her tray of snacks and libations, seeking refuge in her duty.

"Those aren't for me m'Lady. Haven't you seen a 'forged before?" The fearsome faceplate moves with greater articulation and expression than others of his kind and the effect is rather unnerving.

"N-no, sorry sir, of course not...I mean yes, I have and of course these aren't for you, my apologies sir," She manages to stammer.

"No that's quite alright young Miss. I startled you, I should be apologizing. Please excuse me." The giant warforged stands to one side allowing her to pass, gratefully. As she exits he narrows his eyes at the rest of the compartment, apprasising the motley lot through eyes of a clear mineral for those with a keen observance.

"Humph" he grunts to himself, grumbling, "nothin' but a bunch of soft fleshlings. Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me..."

He muscles his way through the compartment and stows the long parcel in one of the overhead bins. The normal seats are far too narrow for his armored skirt so he finds one of the bench seats and sits down next to whomever is sitting there, though he avoids anyone under 4 feet with a shifty glance. He opens an armored plate in the skirt revealing a small compartment hidden within and removes a small iron box. Opening the latch a number of exotic looking tools are neatly arranged within and he removes what looks like some sort of wrench. Adjusting a setting on the handle, he then applies the tool to the inside of one elbow joint, ratcheting some unseen component within.

He turns to the person sitting next to him, obviously some other fortune seeking soul and asks, "So what manner of quest or madness has you all itching to visit these bombed out badlands? Surely the pay is good but there are lots of ways to earn coin..."

First! W00t! :smallcool:

Image:

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9039/aegisbydamascus5.jpg

Sir
2010-09-29, 04:09 PM
Sorry if I don't follow standard conventions, I haven't done a serious PbP in a while. As no one else seems to be replying, ill just say Tek's character sits next to mine.. If you would rather talk to someone specific, just say :smallbiggrin:.

Artuan sat on the bench, looking around at the passengers, smiling at them, though no one returned a smile. Bah, mercenaries. Artuan would make sure that if ended up going with these people, he would have to atleast try to convince them to lead a better life. With more interest than usual, he watches the massive living mechanical device scare the lights out of the refreshent server, registering the magical broadcast in the back of his head as he watched the warforged stomp through the isle towards him. When he realized that it needed a large seat, he cleared his backpack up from the space next to him, and heard the metal bench creak as the massive thing sat down. Not bothering to pretend like he was not interested as it took out its little box and started tinkering, he glanced up at its face and noted the less than average features, atleast of the few warforged he had seen roaming the countryside.

When the warforged spoke to him, Artuan smiled and replied in a voice that seemed a little to loud, but still very charismatic and friendly.
"Well, I have came to rid the evil from the land, once and for all. And there is much work to be done, with the radiation and bandits, not to mention the warforged deep within, bent on destruction of humans. But I do it for my god-" with that, he flashes his holy symbol at him, which gleaming with polish in the dim light shining through the windows "- and for the people who have been killed by raiding monsters from within. The gold is quite good too, as it will help me replace my equipment and help people who need it. What draws you to the wasteland? Come to see what this Lord of Blades everyone is whispering about is to your liking, or just glory and gold like most on this train?"

monkman
2010-09-29, 04:10 PM
The fulled armor mage started to prepare his things. He said with a hint of happiness.
I can't belive were all most there .This was so boring. i wonder what we'll find. He was talking to no one in particular and really didnt care who heard him. he was just happy that there were done the trip
http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/images/armiesofWAR/darkelves/Blackguard/blackguard-look-01.jpg

TekHed
2010-09-29, 04:43 PM
No problemo...I had purposely left it open that I was speaking to whomever the next poster happened to be if they wanted to. And sweet jehosephat Monkman your image is rather...ample eh?

The mechanical man raised one articulated eyebrow, again showing much more expression than the average 'forged.

A man of the cloth eh? I suppose that is all well and good. Me, I'm here because I am being paid well to be here to protect your fleshling behinds. While I may not eat, parts and repairs cost money and this body aint cheap. Got me some upgrades out of the deal as well." he smiled with a soft scraping sound as his cheek plates moved up.

"As for this so called Lord of Blades, he and his metal-brained minions better watch out for MY blade if they come calling. I hear he isn't too friendly towards you meat-bags, and if you don't come back alive I lose my bonus."

He extended one admantine encased hand and the Holy man could see that they were not the ham fisted 3 fingered affairs of the average warforged. These hands were strong but delicate enough for crafting work.

"Ronin Krieg, at your service."

The man who spoke up across the aisle was obviously some kind of wizard, what with his various pouches and arcane symbols, but it was strange that he was wearing full armor... humanoids never looked quite comfortable in their armor the way a warforged was. Krieg imagined them like insects or crusteceans, preserved like canned goods for some wandering monster to come along and snack on their soft juicy interiors. Krieg had never been soft.

"What'll we find? Probably a lot of fog and death, or haven't you heard?"

Sallera
2010-09-29, 04:48 PM
Perched on a seat with her feet tucked up beneath her, Lyth stows the book she was reading in her pack as the message rings out, securing it tightly before glancing around the carriage. She stands out somewhat among the motley crowd, if not as much as the massive warforged; she is dressed in a dark red blouse and charcoal trousers, and a pair of practical black boots sits on the floor next to her pack. Her light brown hair, greying slightly, is tied back in a short braid, and her grey eyes flick from one passenger to the next, filing away details or dismissing them as unimportant. The warforged draws a raised eyebrow, but she is surprised most to see someone she recognizes sitting across from her - someone whose reasons for being here at all she cannot fathom.

"Spirits, Cannith boy, don't tell me you're one of Orien's hirelings." She frowns at the bard with a look of faint disbelief. "You play a pretty tune, that I'll grant you, but aren't you a little fragile for a field expedition?"

DueceEsMachine
2010-09-30, 12:18 AM
Pollux Cannith

Hp - 19/19 Ac -24 Init:n/a
Current Effects in place / Rounds remaining

*With a bit of a start, the young man looks over at the smaller woman, his mind having obviously been somewhere else.*

"Sweet, Merciful Host! Don't scare me like that!"

*Straightening out his rather plain cotton attire, he takes a deep breath and makes room for the woman, thankful to have a familiar face amongst the crowd. Taking a deep breath to steady himself a little.*

"A bit frail, perhaps, but unlike most these others, I've been through the Mists before, and I have a pretty good idea what awaits us. Horrible as it may be...."

*He pauses a moment, thinking on this - the possibilities were never pleasant, but he couldn't let himself dwell on that. Clearing his throat, he gives a half-hearted smile, returning his attention to the situation at hand.*

"And a hireling? Well, hm. I... - Technically. I will be receiving re-imbursement, of course, but I am also here to function as an advisor.... or well, something of that nature. House Cannith and House Orien did build the Lightning rail together after all, and while my presence was not entirely necessary, it was not un-welcome. I am quite well-versed in these kinds of things. For the most part...
And what of you? I thought you were doing quite well back in the city. At the very least I didn't expect to run into you here of all places."

sorry I didn't post earlier. Just got off work.

Sir
2010-09-30, 12:25 AM
Artuan takes the hand firmly and shakes it with conviction, smiling at the living mix of metal and life.

"Artuan Demedal, pleased to meet such a interesting individual. I would greatly appreciate it if we are assigned to the same group, you seem like much more than the standard scum on this train. But man of cloth? I think not, if a evil doer shows his face, I will smite him with my own two hands, not stay away from the fight and work obscure magic. I don't hate spellweavers, oh no, I just know that you can get allot more done up close, with your trustful blade in hand. Ah, but look who I am talking too, you seem to share the viewpoint, haha."

He then sits back against the wall as the warforged say something to the strangely armored spellweaver across from him, and looked around the train, scanning for possible evil, and oh did he find it [[If there aren't any evil people on the train I can delete this part, but I would guess there are a few]]. Staying his blade, he reminded himself that attacking them would mean instant death, and then he couldn't serve the Silver Flame any longer. Grimacing at one who looked like he was trying to rob some gnome, he flipped his Holy Silver Flame Symbol at him when he looked, enchanting it with a tiny bit of holy energy that made it shine, sending the thief at a good trot away. Artuan smiled at that, safe in the knowledge that that particular scum wouldn't try anything shifty again for the rest of the train ride, not with a paladin of the feared Silver Flame onboard.Yes, sometimes reputations can be good for solving problems...

TekHed
2010-09-30, 02:30 AM
The giant 'forged nods in approval, noticing the exchange between the man and the cutpurse as well as the bit of magic from his holy symbol.

"A man of the sword and the cloth then. You flamers have a real good time singing Kumbaya around the campfire don't ya? 'Spose it doesn't matter so long as the magic works right? Heck some people pray to us warforged and it works. A few even try to become us...crazy bastards."

He finishes whatever he was doing in his elbow socket and starts to work on his wrist, undulating his fingers as he fiddles in the joint.

He seems distracted for a moment but then hears the startled shrill voice of a gnomish woman. By the gods they sounded like those little dogs that women of noble pedigree like to carry around in their purses.

He leans in consiratorially to Artuan, flicking his head toward the diminuitive woman, and speaking softly, though still with the faint sound of a grinding whetstone.

"Puntling at 3:00. Watch out for those critters, devious bastards the lot of 'em. Stab you in the back first chance they get, trust me I know. They've got the right stuff though if ya catch my meaning...aerodynamic and just heavy enough to have some inertia in flight..."

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-30, 05:51 AM
Oh i love you guys already :smalltongue:

Trying to pass the time, the thief spies the small gnomish woman and sees the oppurtunity to ply his trade. As he slowly ambles on over, looking at the angles and anybody who would get in his way. He overlooks the armored warrior in one booth though and is suprised by a flash of light. Looking over the young thief sees the holy symbol of a flame. Glancing to the owner of the holy item, our thief instantly stops in his tracks and turns to retreat back to his seat. Nobody wants to cross a Paladin, let alone an emissary of the Silver Flame.

Sir
2010-09-30, 10:58 AM
Artuan leans in also, and whispers back, but still just not quiet enough;

"Ah. I think that people of all races deserve a chance to be proven good, but I have met some shifty gnomes. I shall assume you have had... experiences with them though, so I shall be weary.

Yes, I know that the campfire signing happens much to often in my home city and nation. Too many politicians, to many corrupters, to little Paladins and priests actually doing something... But that is why I left, to do something for good.

I would hope the stop comes soon. That was a long ride, I don't think I like lightning rail any longer. Too confined.."

Artuan finishes putting his possessions in his backpack, taking out his shield then with a bottle of polish, and begins to shine it. You don't think paladins get so shiny by the sun do you?

Sallera
2010-09-30, 11:32 AM
"Tch, semantics. We've all got jobs to do." Lyth slips her feet into her boots, lacing them up as she talks.

"I've been studying Cyre since it fell. Now I've got the funding and bodyguards to get in there myself, and no amount of maneuvering around the University's directors required. Scouting out the Lightning Rail? That's just a path to travel."

She glances over at the flash of light, noting the man's holy symbol. "Paladin, hmm? There's another one who's likely got no interest in the Rail. I'm sure we can all guess what he's here for; I hope he doesn't burn anything important."

DueceEsMachine
2010-09-30, 12:49 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Folding up the papers he was writing on, Pollux nods, slipping them into a spare pocket.*
"Yes, well, if I remember correctly, you had one of your papers on Post-Galifar Cyre published recently didn't you? I seem to remember reading one - I could have sworn it was your work."

*Looking over at the flash of light, Pollux gives a weak smile, apprehensive at the presence of the pyro-paladin.*
"Yes..... I would assume that there are relatively few who accepted this contract that are genuinely interested in the extension of the Lightning Rail. Fortunately, House Orien doesn't care why, so long as the job is accomplished. I don't care what he burns so much, so long as he keeps his preaching to a minimum."

*With a half-hearted glance around the cabin, he tries to spot her 'bodygaurds', and frowns a bit when he doesn't see any likely candidates.*
"When you say funding for bodygaurds, I assume you are referring to the other individuals who have accepted the contract? I don't see any hulking brutes hovering over you like mother-hens, so I'd guess you haven't hired anyone yet."

Sallera
2010-09-30, 01:35 PM
Lyth nods, waving a hand dismissively. "Just trying to draw connections. Everyone in Khorvaire wants to know what happened on the Day of Mourning; I do as well, of course, but I also find the aftereffects quite fascinating. They're rather difficult to study from afar, however, due to their tendency to kill anyone who tries to bring news back."

"Funding to cover the expenses of spending so much time away, and bodyguards, yes. That's how it works whenever someone sponsors an open expedition into a place like this. Researchers are like sparrows; we all have our own interests, but we don't want to get killed over them, so the rest of the group forms a convenient safety measure." She sniffs, casting the Cannith a pointed glance. "Except you, I suppose. Don't imagine you'd be much good at the task."

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-30, 03:48 PM
Out of the windows you see the lush countryside begins to lose it's gleam and lustre. The leaves appear as though autumn is only days away and they're preparing to give in and fall. The earth is not the rich, earthy brown of Khorvaire, the life-blood of those who live off it. Instead it looks as if all life and sustenance has been drained from the soil, leaving only a thin dust covering the landscape, a shadow of the former substance it once possessed. On the horizon even the sky is drained. It is no longer a pale morning blue but is a sickly purple, diseased and rotten. Below this horrible vista is the skyline of Vathirond, defiant against the wasting presence of the Mournland which borders it. It is the closest the Lightning Rail comes to the Mournland these days. Where is used to cut straight through the heart of Cyre, it skirts around, heading north.

As you draw closer to Vathirond you see that their statement of defiance isn't as necessarily as strong as it once seemed. The buildings on the outskirts have fallen into disrepair, with boarded up windows, caved in rooves and overgrown gardens. Infact these gardens seem to be the only thriving plant life near the Mournland. It's as if the very symbolism of abandonment which they represent is fully suported by the pervading presence of the Mournland. However as you draw closer to the heart of the city the buildings become more and more liveable, with people bustling about their daily lives. Not one person smiles at you as the train slows down into the station, nobody betrays any hint of happiness. The populace is drained, emotionally and physically. The city centre only remains hospitable as this last skeleton crew of a community hasn't yet abandoned hope of continuing a life on the frontier. One day they'll leave to, and Vathirond will fall, leaving behind a ghost town similiar to the mythic crumbling necropolis' that scatter the Mournland.

As the train slows to a halt it's claxon blurts out a rasping note. Station hands rush forwards open the doors and welcome people onto the platform. However outside your carriage stands a stern looking half orc female in a navy suit jacket with matching knee length suit skirt. She wears half moon spectacles created to fit around her brutish nose, but other than that she possesses very few throwbacks to her more primal heritage. Her skin is rough, but not potholed and hairy. It's more like the skin of a blacksmiths hands. She could almost be pretty, if you liked that sort of woman. She waits for those hired by Orien to exit the train carriage.

DueceEsMachine
2010-09-30, 03:50 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Pollux squirms a bit under the intense gaze of the tiny woman, but clears his throat a bit and tries to speak up.*
"I want to know why it happened as much as the next person, but as far as what happened.... some bodies are best left buried."

"I may not look like much, but I'm tough. I can handle myself."

*the young man sits up a little straighter and does his best to look confident, though it is undoubtedly more humorous than anything else."

*As the scenery outside changes, the young mans demeanor darkens along with it. Small changes at first - the rhythmic tensing of his jaw, the slight furrow of his brow, but he controls himself.*

*Gathering his belongings and hauling them out with a bit of effort, he doesn't complain at the jostling and crowding as the Rail is disembarked. His mind is haunting him with memories of the last time he was in the city, years ago, though the hellish trek to make it there still haunts him some nights.*

*Seeing the half-orc standing off to one side, he'd motion his companion in her direction.*
"I think that's where we check in, so to speak."

Okay, more to come when I get off work tonight.

TekHed
2010-09-30, 04:42 PM
Artuan leans in also, and whispers back, but still just not quiet enough;

"Ah. I think that people of all races deserve a chance to be proven good, but I have met some shifty gnomes. I shall assume you have had... experiences with them though, so I shall be weary.

Yes, I know that the campfire signing happens much to often in my home city and nation. Too many politicians, to many corrupters, to little Paladins and priests actually doing something... But that is why I left, to do something for good.

I would hope the stop comes soon. That was a long ride, I don't think I like lightning rail any longer. Too confined.."

Artuan finishes putting his possessions in his backpack, taking out his shield then with a bottle of polish, and begins to shine it. You don't think paladins get so shiny by the sun do you?

"Hmph." The Warforged grunts derisively. "Oh thy're good for something all right. One of them kept me locked up for 2 years, messed with my head and made me do things I'd rather not remember."

Kreig listens to the man (who is obviously wearing armor or just clothes right now?) describe the unpleasantness of the bootlickers and baby-kissers and decides he likes this one's company.

When Artuan pulls out the bottle of shine, Krieg lights up. "Ah, day cream! ...May I?" He pulls out a chamois and dabs it in the profured bottle and then begins to apply it to his face, using a small steel mirror from his kit to rub it in evenly. When several others stare at this humorous scene he gives them a glare.

"What? Need to look presentable for the employers..."

After the Rail pulls into the station, Krieg stands up and with no small amount of maneuvering, manages to wade through the crowd of passengers to where their contact is waiting. Propping his huge parcel upon one shoulder he gives a lazy salute in her direction.

"Ronin Krieg at yer service. Ma'am," he adds when she shoots him a look.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-30, 05:59 PM
Leafing through her clipboard she finds the name Krieg and nods to herself. Ah yes, Krieg. You're the only Warforged on our books right now which makes you somewhat of a special case. She turns to the gathering crowd and speaks to them in a general sense.

I'm sure you're all aware of the stories of the Lord of Blades. Let me assure you now that he doesn't exist, he is but a fairy tale told to make children behave themselves. He is nothing but a figure of false hope for misguided Warforged, no offense. She nods towards Krieg However the threat of roving Warforged is very real. You may come across these misguided fools and they are not friendly towards beings composed of flesh. Let that be a warning to you all.

She steps down from the platform divider she was using to address the crowd and goes back to looking through her clipboard and sheaths of files. After checking her information she once more calls out to those leaving the carriage. Could all researchers please report to me shortly, thank you. Everybody else, once you sign in you may do as you please, though it is advised to gang together to create atleast a modicum of safety.

The inhabitants of the carriage slowly start to filter out, one by one.

Sallera
2010-09-30, 06:09 PM
"I certainly hope so. There are reasons I didn't bring any of my students with me, and concern for their health was not high among them."

Lyth hoists the nearly-full pack onto her back and makes sure her Sivis pin is well-secured, although the gold and ruby feathers might make a more tempting target were they less recognizable. She exits the carriage after the woman's address, flipping open a small wooden case containing her identification papers. "Lyth Eriol d'Sivis. Junior Professor of History at Morgrave University." She steps to the side after introducing herself, watching the others pass through as she waits for whatever the woman has to say to the researchers.

monkman
2010-09-30, 06:13 PM
ignel get out of the cariage with all his belonging, he moves away to be able to have enough space to do a trick, He cast dancing light and they move in a pattern that resmeble letters and it says
Looking for group.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-30, 06:45 PM
Slowly the researchers come trickling in from the carriage. It is apparent that very few of those hired by Orien actually came following academic persuits. There are only 3 such people, a Gnome, an Elf and the same Elf again....Upon seeing everybodies confusion the Elf on the left quickly shifts her face to that of a male Human. Sighing to herself the Half-Orc continues.

Oh, you must be Zin, the Changeling. Anyway, down to business. As I'm sure you're all aware, the Mournland represents a conundrum for Khorvaire and everybody wants to get to the bottom of it. You three lucky souls might just make a name for yourselves out here. Though you're all as capable as most of these other poor souls at crossing the wastes, you three add an extra dimension to our interests. Any information pertaining to the fall of Cyre would be greatly appreciated and evidence of the cause and effects of the Mournland would be very important finds. Though I do not wish to promote competition between the three of you, whichever scholar comes out of this alive, let alone with evidence about the Mournland, could become a very prominent figure in both science and magic. I will say no more on the subject. Now, do any of you have any questions?

Sir
2010-09-30, 07:10 PM
Artuan flips the shield back on his back, and tries his hardest to look un-surprised when Krieg took the bottle and started polishing his face, but it was failing. As they rolled (Floated? Flew? I don't know, lightning rails make my head hurt..) into the city, Artuan grimaced at the people there, saddened by them, saddened more that he didn't have time to help them. Then again, cheering people up wasn't exactly his forté.

Standing up and walking behind Krieg and the not so small gap he made behind him as he pushed through the crowd, and walked up to the orc when she was done talking to the researchers, noting with interest the faces of the three. As he steps up, he flips up his silver flame symbol in one hand, identification papers in the other.

"Artuan Demedal, Official Lieutenant Knight of the Silver Flame, 'signing in'. Unless you need something, I think I shall go find some mercenaries to venture out with."

DueceEsMachine
2010-09-30, 07:32 PM
Pollux Cannith

I think lightning rails are called that because they function much like mag-lev trains, except instead of rails there are a series of pyramid-shaped guide stones that literally suspends the transport with lightning. Just what I've picked up from a couple of things in the books and pictures. I could easily be wrong though.

*Looking through the crowd worridly, Pollux finally spots his pony being unloaded a considerable distance down the way, and with a sigh, carries his belongings over, missing the opportunity to be recognized as one of the scholars present.*

*After a few moments of adjusting the gear, he makes his way back over to the orderly woman and smiles, speaking up a bit to catch her attention.*
"Excuse me? Miss? Yes. Hi - hello. I uh. I should be on your list? Pollux Cannith? Yes."

*He leans over, pointing to his upside down name on her papers*
"Right there. I uh. I don't know if you'd qualify me as a scholar, but I'm here, regardless. Just out of curiosity, what formatting would House Orien prefer information presented in?"

*Looking around, aware of the odd looks he was receiving, Pollux shifted awkwardly and shut his mouth. Great way to make a good first impression. He wasn't likely to find anyone willing to travel with him at this rate.*

*Glancing around a bit more carefully, he sees Lyth, having already checked in and points at her*
"I'll be going with her, if that matters at all for your paperwork."

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-30, 08:38 PM
To save me having to edit in a ninja'd, Deuce is perfectly correct. Though instead of the train floating above a central electric line is is propelled by lightning orbs of some kind. I assume they must be placed quite close together in series :smallconfused:

Ah sorry Pollux, my mistake. I'm Helga. She offers her hand to Pollux openly. Did you happen to overhear what I was saying? If not I'm sure your friend there can fill you in. But as I said, it's advisable to travel in groups. There's certainly no shortage of mercenaries around. Infact it seems there's one advertising his services just over there. She nods in the direction of armored mage and his light show. Very creative

Seeing the Paladin strutting towards her, Helga double takes. Surely there wasn't anything that she'd done to incur the wrath of the Silver Flame. But upon hearing him out she answers Ah thank you for signing in, I forgot we were lucky enough to be accompanied by a representative of The Flame She flusters and fiddles with her clipboard, but then manages to control herself. I'm sure that there's a group of people here that could use your services and there's certainly no shortage of people that need help around these parts. Good day to you.

She bows her head to Artuan then turns to leave and find another applicant. However she turns and calls after Artuan. Actually I can think of a research team that would value your help and physical stature. Helga nods towards a pair, a male Human and a female Gnome, making idle chatter whilst they prepare their belongings. Maybe you should check around the station, I'm sure somebody would need your assistance

Sallera
2010-09-30, 08:40 PM
"Don't think there's anything much I need to ask. The answers are inside, after all." Lyth nods to the other two. "Good luck in there. I don't know your fields of specialty, but if you're interested in sharing results once we're done, contact me through the House. I've a loose network of Mournland researchers that would be happy for more members." She raises a hand in farewell, stepping back with a sigh as the Cannith approaches.

"Are you, now. Well, I suppose you'll at least be useful for the actual stations." Her voice drops lower as she contemplates the gathered hirelings. "Hm, we'll want a group of about four. Anything more, and we start attracting too much attention and spreading resources too thin. That warforged would be useful... looks formidable enough, and that would make for half the group that doesn't need to eat or drink. He appears to be with the paladin, but most paladins can be turned from liability to asset with the proper education. Might even have it already, if we're lucky." Her mind apparently made up without input from the Cannith, she approaches the warforged and paladin swiftly.

"Ronin Krieg and... Lieutenant Artuan, was it? I am Lyth d'Sivis. Might you be interested in traveling with myself and the Cannith boy, here?"

Sir
2010-10-01, 12:07 AM
Sorry for the confusion, Artuan is clothed in armor at the moment, minus the helm.

Also, Duece, I am going to go ahead and assume we know eachother from maybe a year ago when we did some quests together on the countryside of Thrane.

Artuan turns to see the tiny gnome after nodding a thank you to the strange secretary, and when she walks up he pats Krieg to turn around.

"Ah, a D'Sivis, nice to meet you. And yes, Liuetenant Artuan, though just my name is fine. Hmm, we, or atleast I, would not object to some support from spellweavers such as yourselves, so I am more than willing to travel with your group, and I am sure my friend here will be too. Who might Cannith boy be? Is that him, the one with the wiry figure? Ah yes, I know him. Pollux, nice fellow, we grouped together a while ago to vanquish some bandits, quite entertaining, and not shabby in combat too. I would love to be in your group, just let me consult with my friend."

Leaving no space for Krieg to say something, Artuan pulls him back some, and speaks to him in a whispered voice;

"I know you hate gnomes, but trust me on this one. I have witnessed the gnome, and in her heart and soul she is a good person, or atleast not evil, and she won't be doing any backstabbing. If that isn't enough, I know the human, quite a entertainer, plus he is a spellweaver, very nice person. Just trust me, these two mean us no harm, and I would like to stay with you in our journey, a man needs a friend up close with him to make sure he doesn't get trapped in the heat of battle."

TekHed
2010-10-01, 09:53 PM
The giant warforged turns around and visibly steps back at seeing the gnomish woman but before he can say anything Artuan pulls him aside.

After hearing him make his case, Krieg looks over at the woman and says rather loudly,

"It's a trick! Don't think you'll be enslaving ME to your nefarious purposes you conniving puntling!" He pushes out his chest as if to be more initimidating (as if he needed help) and the astute might read that the mighty warrior is actually afraid of the tiny old woman.

He turn back to Artuan, softer though the mock-whisper is easily heard by all present. "How can you be so sure we can trust them? The last gnome I met 'forge-napped me for TWO years...never again!"

Sallera
2010-10-01, 11:30 PM
Lyth folds her arms and stands silent for a moment, raising an eyebrow at the warforged's stage whisper. "Hmph. And here I thought the paladin would be the one needing education." She takes a step forward, jabbing a finger upward in the general direction of the warforged's chest.

"Pay attention, child. We are heading into the Mournland. It is not a friendly place, and thus my nefarious purposes include staying safe, remaining intact, and not dying. If, for some reason, I did wish you harm, I would hardly offer to travel with you. There are, after all, plenty of thieves, incompetents, and showoffs on this platform I could leave you to instead." She gestures offhandedly to the floating lights. "This offer is for our mutual benefit. Do try to consider it from that perspective. Your paranoia will be much more useful on the other side of the border."

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-01, 11:59 PM
Pollux Cannith

*watching the exchange between the other surrounding individuals, Pollux is quite happy to fade into the background, waving demurely at his former associate when he takes notice of the young man.*

*As he listens to the dressing down that Lyth delivers, he shrinks away a little further, stopping when he bumps into a passer-by. Spinning around to apologize, he finds himself staring into magical colored words hanging in the air.*
Looking For Group
"Oh, sir. My apologies. I...... hm. Interesting use of minor arcana. It doesn't appear to be all that effective, I'm afraid."

*Tilting his head a bit, he moves a finger through the floating words and smiles as they flow around his digit.*
"You know, I think something along these lines could be quite entertaining in the right performance. I've always been rather bothered by story narration in more dramatic situations... hm...."

*Tapping a finger on his chin, he realizes that he's likely boring the man and blinks rapidly, a sheepish smile on his face.*
"Oh. I'm sorry. I don't mean to waste your time. Listen. If they ever figure out whether they're going to throttle each other, would you care to join us? Another creative individual is always welcome as far as I'm concerned."

*He holds out a hand in greeting*
"I'm Pollux, Pollux Cannith, and you are?"

monkman
2010-10-02, 12:42 PM
Ingel shakes Pollux's hand and says
I'm Ignel Shiverlight.Pleasure to meet you.
He retracts his hand
I would love to join you, but who are the other people?

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-02, 02:54 PM
Pollux Cannith

*with a sheepish smile, Pollux motions towards the small gnome woman and two large warriors who are speaking heatedly and shrugs*
"Well, the well-educated gnome woman at least. The heavily armored man.... Artuan, I think. And assuming her tounge has been alchemically coated with silver, the large warforged there as well."

*scratching absently at the back of his head, he smiles*
"I'm glad she's taking care of it. I don't have the best eye for martial prowess. No offense intended - I'm sure you're more than able to handle yourself. Come on, maybe if we hover impatiently they'll come to a solution a little more quickly."

*Leading his pony and new companion towards the group, he braces himself for the inevitable inquiries as to his choice.*

TekHed
2010-10-03, 04:02 AM
Lyth folds her arms and stands silent for a moment, raising an eyebrow at the warforged's stage whisper. "Hmph. And here I thought the paladin would be the one needing education." She takes a step forward, jabbing a finger upward in the general direction of the warforged's chest.

"Pay attention, child. We are heading into the Mournland. It is not a friendly place, and thus my nefarious purposes include staying safe, remaining intact, and not dying. If, for some reason, I did wish you harm, I would hardly offer to travel with you. There are, after all, plenty of thieves, incompetents, and showoffs on this platform I could leave you to instead." She gestures offhandedly to the floating lights. "This offer is for our mutual benefit. Do try to consider it from that perspective. Your paranoia will be much more useful on the other side of the border."

The giant takes one step back, recoiling from the prodding finger. It's obvious that this... well it was definitely a warforged, but much more humanlike. It had human-like hands for one thing, which Lyth would recall from her biology was one of the two great advantages of humanoid life, that allowed it to hold dominion over the world. Most warforged had crudely designed mitts.

The expressivness of the face in particular was almost shocking. Most 'forged have rather uniform, somewhat featuress faces, distinguishing themselves with ornament, engravings, gem's etc. They nonetheless tended to come off rather flat when speaking. This model on the other hand had a fully defined face with many intricately overlapping plates creating lips, cheeks, and eyebrows. It's forehead of course was fused into the massive flaring horned helm like the rest of it's constructed body.

The body was forged from Adamantine...meaning that this was one of the most expensive models to produce, but the style was unlike anything the gnomish archivist had ever heard of. Well except for one place. As an erdudite urbanite hallowing the heights and depths of Sharn, Lyth had heard rumors that the great Merrix D'Cannith the Younger had been performing secret experiments on warforged hidden deep within the labrynthine belly of Sharn herself. Not that there had ever been any real proof...

But whatever it was, it was definitely afraid of the diminuitive creature before it. To see the shock that flashed for a moment on it's face, you would think it expected her to smite him with some bolt of eldritch destruction.

After a moment, when it dawned on it that this creature was not about to cast some mighty magic at it, but rather was asking for it's help, it narrowed it's eyes, then broke into a laugh.

"The mighty gnome needs my protection. Ha! Must be my lucky day. Alright...then it's like this: I'm being paid to keep the heat off you fleshlings, and keep you alive long enough for you to get back to House Orien with the information they are looking for. There are substantial bonuses to be earned by the team who completes the primary mission and clears a path that can be defended. I..." he reaches over with one arm's nearly 6 foot wingspan and side-hugs the the Paladin into him, their armor clanging loudly. "and my new friend here are the two baddest, burliest bodyguards on this sorry platform, which means you are going to come back with what we are looking for and we are all going to become very rich ladies, men and 'forged."

"Krieg, Ronin, former Captain Brelish 41st Special Infantry Vanguard Battalion. At your service." he bows curtly. Leaning in toward her but still keeping his distance he stage whispers (or is it that he's just loud?) "Yanno, your the first puntling woman I've ever seen. I'd thought your people cloned themselves so as to better murder and pillage..."

Sir
2010-10-03, 02:12 PM
Artuan smiles and stands back, letting the situation work itself out, since the gnome looked much better at these things. Once Krieg finally submitted, he let out a smile and a small shrug."Good, good, I think together we have a very good chance to survive that horrid place. Also, I have no doubt that we will succeed, we have all the right mix of strength, power, and smarts. Although I suppose we should still be very careful, I doubt this will be easy at all. Where's Pollux? Ah.." Artuan looks over the new arrival, running his eyes over the fancy armor and signs of arcane knowledge, a seemingly huge contradiction.

"I assume my Cannith friend here has invited you to join us? I shall not complain, another person capable of blasting the monsters in there is more than welcome in my eyes, with all these researchers. Artuan Demedal, Knight of the Silver Flame, pleased to meet you.

Is there anything else we need to cover before we go? We have a lot of ground to walk to get to the start of the fog, and allot more to complete the mission..

monkman
2010-10-03, 02:20 PM
I'm named Ignel Shiverlight. May i know the rest of the names of our party? I'll be ready as soon as i know evirone name.

Sallera
2010-10-03, 03:05 PM
Lyth sighs, making an odd flicking gesture, and one gets the impression that if there had been a switch in her hand she'd have just rapped Krieg on the head. "Well, I suppose there must be some disadvantages to an adamantine skull. Now that that's cleared up, we should be on our way. Where did the Cannith boy get to..."

As she turns to see Pollux returning with the perpetrator of that silly lightshow, her expression quickly shifts back into a frown. "Of course. You would go and pick up the showoff. Didn't I say four would be enough?" Not that there was any chance of convincing them to leave him behind now, especially if he had the paladin's support. That accepting nature worked both ways. "Well, if we must. Lyth d'Sivis, and I sincerely hope you are at least aware of when not to resort to flashy displays."

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-03, 04:34 PM
Pollux Cannith

"Oh, come on Lyth - I'm sure he knows when it's time to stop playing around and get serious - I mean, look at him!"
*Pollux makes an extravagant gesture, much like a showman presenting some amazing feature of his product.*
"I know looks can be deceiving, but there are times that you can use appearances to your advantage. Heck, between these three, anything that's going to attack us is going to think twice."

*clearing his throat, he mumbles under his breath.*
"Anything intelligent enough to care..."

"Listen - now that we've settled our little disputes, I don't know about the rest of you, but I vote we make camp along the edge of the mist for tonight and get started fresh first thing that passes for morning around here - travelling through this place while tired is even more dangerous than you'd think."*He smiles at this, but anyone with experiece dealing with people at all can probably guess that it's just to cover up something else going on inside his head.*

TekHed
2010-10-03, 06:29 PM
"Tired? We 'forged never tire. But I suppose it won't do me any good if you're all draggin' your heels. Show me where you'll be set up so I can go explore the town a little. The buildings are derelict but at least the people are moreose," he said with dry sarcasm. "Look at 'em, just going through the motions. Sad."

He turns as if about to lead the way but then notices the armored spellweaver just staring at him. "Oh? Was I being rude? Krieg's the name, butt-kicking is my game. I hope you'll be able to conjure up more than just pretty lights my crunchy-on-the-outside friend because spare parts can be hard to come by. Then again, I can always go hunting for other 'forged in the mists and canabalize them." He was going on like this all matter-of-factly. Hard to get a read on this one really...just a hint of instability, or was he just being gregarious?

In any case he seemed satisified enough and turned to walk in the direction of the mists, mega-parcel on one shoulder held like a musket and he didn't look back to make sure he was being followed.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-04, 10:33 AM
I'll wait for your intended departure, direction and plans.

Seeing you about to depart, Helga the Half-orc calls after you. Is there anything else you need before you depart? Oh! I almost forgot! She turns to a man beside her who is digging through a large crate, taking out it's contents and laying them out on a table. On it are some purple glass vials and assorted mundane weapons. Hunter, I need the good stuff. We have a promising group. Hunter grumbles and pulls out a dark wood box. He inserts a key and opens it with a click. Lifting the lid you see 5 well crafted daggers of mithril. They have a delicate basket weave hilt formed around either side of the knuckles with the House Orien crest formed of intricate filligree on either side. It is bladed on one edge, which curves gently towards the tip. A silver inlay in the mithril show's a lightning bolt. All 5 daggers have a shean to them, like they're oiled and appear as if all dirt and grime could not help but slide off.

Taking each one gently out of the box she hands on to each of you. This is a good will gift from Orien> We wish to help the more competant groups as they're the only ones with any real chance of success. Upon reaching Lyth she hands her a smaller dagger, saying Luckily we took into account the likelihood that a member of you smaller folk would be present. We know of your work and we believe you show promise. I myself own a copy of your recent paper on Post-Galifar Cyre. I can only hope your knowledge will prove valuable on the journey you all share. Once handing out all of the daggers she closes the box and places it back inside the crate. These will pass as identification from others that you enter the Mournland with the support of Orien and this operation. Don't let us down. One final thing, everybody feel free to take a potion from the table there, I'm sure they'll come in handy where you're going. Also as the positive energy that suffuses them was not conjured forth in the Mournland, they're immune to it's warping nature. If nobody has any further questions then I'd like to get on. I have plenty to do before the Mourning ends. She chuckles idly to herself. I made that one myself, do you like it? No i guess not, that was terribly insensitive of me. Well, good luck on your journey.

Assuming noboy has anything else to ask she leaves you in peace to begin your journey.

You all recieve a masterwork mithril dagger that won't get dirty and a potion of cure moderate wounds that is unnafected by the random healing effects. Now i think of it, Sallera your lesser vigor wand also won't be affected. Tek, the steward manning the potion table looks at you dubiously but offers you a potion anyway, confused whether it will work or not (wondering if you creatures even drink)

Sallera
2010-10-04, 09:33 PM
Lyth accepts the dagger, sliding it through the thin belt she wears. "Thank you, I appreciate the gesture. I suppose having a blade at hand can be useful at times, too."

"Well, I won't be tired myself for quite a while yet, but if we can't make it to the border in good time, I suppose it would make sense to set out tomorrow. Have a few of the overeager incompetents satiate the nearest inhabitants for us during the night." If that was in jest, it was well-hidden, for her expression doesn't change. "I wouldn't mind investigating the border itself a little anyway. There was clearly some sort of metaphysical connection to the nation itself for the mist to spread so precisely, so it might prove an insightful endeavour."

TekHed
2010-10-05, 09:11 AM
The warforged stops cold in his tracks, then turn around to see what the Half-orc was offering. His face screwed up in confusion when he saw the case of daggers, one eyebrow arching and the other side of his mouth frowning. With two thick fingers he reached down and picked up one by the pommel, then held it up close to his face examining it. After a few moments consideration he seemed satisfied.

"Wonderful. I'll need a good toothpick to get the monster out of my teeth." (Close observers would note that he did in fact have individual teeth, made from some hard transparent material, probably crystal.)

He put the dagger down by his side where there must have been a belt-like strip of magnets for when it got close the dagger jumped from his hand and attached itself.

"C'mon bite-sized, let's get 'er movin'."

Sir
2010-10-05, 01:09 PM
Artuan nods his head at the half orc, grabbing a dagger and flipping it over in his hand, testing his balance. Smiling, he takes a potion and mumbles;

"Good dagger. Wonder if it's really a safety device.."

Patting the man on his shoulder, nearly nocking him over onto the table of knives, he strolled over to the group, putting the knife and potion away.

"Very nice of the house, quite a fancy dagger. Stopping at the border before setting off is a good idea in my mind, just because I would like to cut down the nights we have to sleep in that baatorian place to a minimum. To many monster that don't sleep that would love to gut us in the night."

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-05, 02:31 PM
Pollux Cannith

*smiling at the half-orc woman, Pollux would accept the dagger and potion happily, admiring the craftsmanship as he attaches it to his belt*

"Well, Lyth, I have to be honest, the wall of mist is intruiging, but studying it will take far more than one night. Determining why it manifests the way that it does is like inspecting the burnt edge of a forest-fire and attempting to discover what started the blaze."

"I could be wrong, but learning what caused the catastrophe would lead to far more answers about the after-effects, but I beleive that there is a good reason that no one has discovered the cause as of yet. Perhaps we should focus more on our entended scouting route, since this entire place has an odd ability to turn you around without warning"

Sallera
2010-10-05, 03:34 PM
"Of course it will," Lyth replies shortly, irritation flickering across her face. "But that's no reason to sit up most of the night doing nothing productive. All the little pieces of information you can get are useful once you figure out how to put them together; why do you think I study history?"

"As to our direction, we've got an old route to follow, yes? We can simply scout it out to the halfway station and do whatever we need to there. The rest we can decide on at the time."

monkman
2010-10-05, 03:51 PM
Ingel takes the dagger and potion while saying a thank you and then comes back to party

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-05, 04:02 PM
So what are your plans?

Tsumeken
2010-10-06, 02:47 PM
Yun

Yun had been carefully following the group, shifting her form here and there and using her own "charms" to make sure that she could do so. It seemed that now was the time though to join in this escapade as she shifted to her natural form, stepping out towards the half-orc woman who had held the daggers. "Sorry for my late entrant but I was delayed for a moment." She looks down, seeing if there are any daggers left to be taken.

(If there is one for her to take, she'll do so. If not, it's no big deal and she will wait for one to be provided later.)

Afterwards, she rejoins the group she had been traveling with. She bowed to the group, a slight smile on her face. "Greetings to you all. My name is Yun. I came here from Orien and am here to research the Mournlands. I hope to be of great help to you all."

Diplomacy Check (Against the Group and Helga):
[roll0]

Sallera
2010-10-06, 03:26 PM
"Oh, another researcher? You can have the showoff's dagger, then," Lyth replies, expression neutral. "Really, six is getting to be a little much. There isn't exactly much to eat in there, from what I hear."

She offers a short nod of acknowledgement regardless, looking up at the changeling appraisingly. "Lyth d'Sivis. I teach history at Morgrave. What's your area of specialty?"

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-06, 03:29 PM
Looking at the newcomer and his papers, Helga quickly checks her inventory and list of applicants. Ah sorry, you've come straight from Orien then? They're terrible at HQ for forwarding memos. Your ident papers are already proof enough that you carry the power and will of Orien. Though i don't envy anybody heading into that place. Here, take mine. Helga unclasps the dagger on her belt and hands it, hilt first to you. I'm leaving here now, so I'd rather leave knowing that another house member is prepared and able to defend themselves.

You recieve the masterwork dagger that doesn't get dirty. Feel free to read the previous description given :smallwink: Nothing like a little fiat to fix the situation...

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-06, 03:38 PM
Ah! Before i leave, Ignel I need you. Beckoning Ignel over with her hand I need to shore up the interests of Orien before I leave. We have one other promising group but they're short a strong swordarm. So please go with them to make sure they're safe. They're an intelligent bunch but they're definitely on the soft side. Sorry for the inconveniance.

With this Helga finishes talking to the last few applicants as they climb off of the train and helps Hunter pack up the potion table. Then she gets onto the train for the next leg of the journey. The train's horn sounds twice, signalling anybody due to catch this train should get on in the next few seconds and the doors are slowly closed one by one by the stewards. Blue, electrical energy sparks between the platform and the bottom of the carriages as the magical train charges up for departure. Then, without any warning it smoothly leaves the station. No shuddering movement, no mass discharge of energy. The wonders of bound elementals these days.

Tsumeken
2010-10-06, 09:48 PM
Yun

Yun looks thinks for a moment about this question before replying. "I mainly deal with social dealings between other races. Sometimes I even have done dealings between those who have passed on." She had hoped her explanation had been enough though she didn't know what the rest of the party might think of her skills.

She pocketed the dagger and watched the train depart before looking at the lands before them, eager to see what could be found here.

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-07, 07:26 AM
Pollux Cannith

*watching with interest as the changeling presents herself, Pollux stammers for a bit as Ingel is beckoned away by the half-orc, then shrugs.*
"Well. I suppose it is for the best. They do need to co-ordinate their efforts, and it would be unreasonable for us to have such a large number of talented swordsmen."

*With a friendly wave to Yun, he switches which hand he is holding the reins with and reaches out to shake her hand in greeting*
"I don't know about the rest of us, but I'm happy to have you aboard. Dealings with the dead, you say? Now that would be an interesting story indeed. I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to hear it on our journey, if it would be enjoyable for you to tell us more about it."

Sallera
2010-10-07, 11:03 AM
"Hm." Lyth gives a noncommittal shrug. "At least you'll know subtlety, then; that's usually a good thing to have someone around for."

"Well, we're currently planning on heading for the border and camping just outside tonight. Of course, if we want to get there before dark, we ought to get moving. Shall we continue this as we walk?"

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-07, 11:44 AM
So you all leave the station, stepping out of the archway on to the bottom of the main high street. It's rather empty, though it isn't lunchtime just yet. Though this town is on the decline, there should still be more people than this. The few people who are wandering the street do so with a vacant stare in their eyes. You can see that the normal appearance here is to have very pallid, grey skin with unkempt and thin hair. The vacant stare also seems bred into them.

Wandering up the high street, there are many shops selling mundane equipment for those who need to buy day to day items or adventuring gear. Leaving the high street, the buildings begin to thin out and become gradually more unused and unloved. You can tell that the remaining inhabintants of Vathirond flocked to the town centre to share what little companionship they could. This area mirrors that which you saw on your way in. Eventually the buildings stop all together, leaving dead fields and dead trees forming a deformed forest between you and your target.

The mist lays beyond, as ever.

You can buy some mundane stuff if you need it from the high street before you leave. Every non magical, non masterwork item of adventuring gear etc. can be found somewhere in the town. Just state anything you buy and deduct the costs from your remaining pocket change.

Tsumeken
2010-10-07, 02:10 PM
Yun

She takes the hand of the man who spoke to her nodding with a smile."I would e pleased to discuss such things when time allows it She looked around the area, noting the lack of life in... well everything around here. She had hoped that her need to deal with skeletons and spirits had not been needed but from what she saw of he wilderness how could their not be a restless spirit of three out there.

She knew that maybe one of the best ways to go about her form of research was through people. She wandered over to one of the nearby shops, making a play of looking at things but not buying. In this way she waited for the store keep, or someone else, to initiate conversation so that they could do so on their own terms and be comfortable.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-07, 03:33 PM
Are you in your natural changeling form or not?

Seeing the young lady outside of the window, the humble shop keeper jumps at the chance for business. Instantly he takes in the customer and her demeanor, formulating the best way to produce a sale. Confident in his evaluation he steps out from behind his counter and strides towards a potential profit. He can see she is not from around here, that much is evident from her dress sense. Knowing the only people coming into town this week are adventurers hired by Orien, the shopkeeper sees the oppurtunity for a hefty profit.

Hello, young miss. I am Mr Bilbry, humble shop owner and merchant. How could I assist you this day? He places the fingers of his left hand between 2 buttons of his deep purple velvet jacket for comfort and smiles warmly at you.

Sallera
2010-10-07, 07:56 PM
Lyth leaves a few extra coins for the old bard, in thanks for filling such an odd order. If the Mournland did indeed hold disorienting properties - and the mist itself could be disorienting enough - a quick and reliable way to set them straight again would be more than worth the price. She studies the scroll as she waits outside town for the group to reassemble, taking note of the principles behind it in preparation for copying.

Artuan's presence eventually reminds her of what Krieg had distracted her from, however. The paladin seemed sane enough, but that wasn't always a reliable measure. "So, Artuan. What brought you to this task?"

Tsumeken
2010-10-07, 10:28 PM
Fury of Metal
I'm kinda in it, I kept my skin but my face is more humanlike

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-08, 07:34 AM
Tsumeken:
Ok sounds good.

Are you looking to make any purchases today my dear or are you just browsing? I'm sure that if you were to just take a look over my wares we could find something you desire. Forcefully leading you into his shop he begins to describe his wares in detail, hoping to pick up your interests. This goes on for some time as he rambles. People here aren't used to outside folk. Apart from your average gear he only has a range of upper class spices, materials such as silk and cashmere and a range of small knick nacks intended as small gift items.

Need anything? Or would you just be indulging an old man :smalltongue: He can't tell you anything about the Mournland that you don't already know. He does warn you about the forest on the way there though. Strange things have been coming out of there.

Tsumeken
2010-10-08, 12:38 PM
well a warning is as good as anything

Yun looks over the trinkets and baubles that the man is selling and nods after a bit, "I am actually looking to by maybe a small little trinket to commemorate my journey here, souvenir as it were." She looked again as she noted a small object that would be ideal, "I Believe that will do quite nicely, how much is it?" After paying the man Yun left the shop with her new purchase and left to the outskirts of town where she assumed the group had gone to reconnoiter

Fury
I can make up the object if you want or you can, either way it'll be something small and unusable so that it doesn't really factor into anything.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-08, 01:41 PM
Ah yes, the music box. I see you have fine taste. Picking it up, he presents to you an ivory music box with a delicate winding handle on the side. This actually plays our humble towns ancestral song. It is said that the tinkling of the music keeps away harmful spirits. Always a useful feature in these parts. For such a fine piece of craftsmanship I can't charge less than 5 gold pieces I'm afraid. Going over to the register he deposits the coins and thanks you for your business, chuckling to himself. With a sale like this he doesn't need to sell anything for the rest of the day and he'd still be able to stay in profit.

Wooo! You have a lovely music box with a tune said to ward you against evil spirits. No numerical benefit but hey, lucky charms a lucky charm.

Sir
2010-10-08, 02:11 PM
Sorry, just got back from a very sudden trip south to see some family. I meant to warn you, but there was no time :smallfrown:.

Artuan, who has nothing to purchase, begins polishing his shield again at the meeting place, giving a short nod to Lyth as she comes back before the others.

He looks up when she speaks, thinking for a moment before responding. "My main purpose to go into that hellish place is to gather information on the condition, dangers, and inhabitants of it, and maybe clear a small safe area. All of this is to prove to The Smiter of- er, The Silver Flame and my brethren in worship that Cyre is salvageable. I am in full expectance that I may die somewhere along the road, but I hope that if the Silver Flame establishes a fortified keep within the mists, other groups will see it is possible and follow suit. At the most, this will cleanse the infection and start the restoration of Cyre; at the worst, it will provide us with knowledge of who committed the act, and ways to hunt him down so he will never be able to do it again.

I know that may seem.. large, but if no one has tried yet, how can we know if it is possible?"

Sallera
2010-10-08, 03:08 PM
"Tch, never expect death; you'll only invite it." The old soldier's maxim had been proven often enough, and such a lack of concern for one's own life had led to plenty of poor decisions in the past. "Still, I suppose an established position would be helpful. Could produce a few more reliable - if not necessarily disinterested - reports."

"But what makes you so certain you'll find the instigators that way? I'll grant you I hope to find much the same myself, although my end interest is more in what happened rather than who did it, but it does not seem the most reliable method of investigation."

Tsumeken
2010-10-08, 04:37 PM
Yun walks the streets admiring her new purchase as she heads to the meeting place. She remains happy with her purchase and looks forward to experiancing it's melody when there is time.

As she approaches the meeting place she spots two of her companions speaking and slows her pace. Not wanting to eavesdrop on their conversation she halts and merely waves to them to signal her arrival. She then props her herself against a nearby tree as she winds the crank on the music box.

She remains silent listening to the melody with her eyes closed to enjoy it fully. Her mind thinking of what path to take next, other then the one in front of her.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-08, 05:02 PM
Where is this meeting point? Are you on the forest's edge or something? I probably missed the glaringly obvious post.

TekHed
2010-10-09, 08:50 AM
Bah! No use in denying it...I've been distracted with spontaneously deciding to apply for more games. I admit it, I'm on a binge! I'm cutting myself off though at the ones I am currently applying to which means that once I get accepted or not, my ability to post will stabilze. I take SO LONG making my charactes because there are so many choices and books to flip through, articles to read and online optimization handbooks to devour. The D20 system really makes you have to think long and hard about where you want to go from the get go. Once made, posting is easy...

Krieg has been pacing around, seemingly impatient with the needs of fragile fleshlings. As the other sit talking against the trees they can hear him humming to himself, his large parcel propperd against the tree while he puts himself through a few minutes of stretching and calisthenics.

After doing several repetitions of sidebends and twists he makes a motion of cracking his knuckes (though they do not make any sound other than the constant metallic swishing that accompanies all his movements), and goes over to his parcel. With a reverent touch Krieg pulls open the silk sealing the package closed and allows the cloth wrappings to fall in a pile at the base.

What is inside looks to be a gigantic sword. Encased in an Adamantine sheath matching his body, the curved sword length is easily six and a half feet long, the overall length standing as tall as Krieg himself (although his wicked looking hors rise yet taller). With a flourish, Krieg whips the sword around through the air and stabs the point of the scabbard into the ground at an angle befoe unsheathing the blade in an arc. Those watching (and who in the vicinty could help but notice) are surprised to see not metal emerge from the casing but a blade of perfectly clear carved crystal. Krieg squints, running an Adamantine thumb along the oversized katana.

He then holds the sword from his body, both arms reaching straight out and the sword extending parallel to the ground. With slowness and precision, Krieg begins to do a meditative kata, displaying in slow motion the various cuts, feints, and spirals that would when sped up create a 24' diameter of razored crystaline death. Occasionally he punctuates the Kata with a thrust, each movement culminating in a centering pause.

Then, without warning, he spins around to face what was at his back, lets out a mighty kiai and charges at a large withered oak Tree, culminating with a flying leap through the air landing blade first through the trunk...

I figured I'd have probably doen about 50ish damage to it.

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-09, 11:25 AM
Pollux Cannith

*Watching his large companion with interest, he settles into a semi-comfortable spot on some stones and pulls his violin from its case, plucking the strings gently to tune it as he does.*

*When the large metal man lands the awesome blow, Pollux blinks rapidly, surprised at the ferocity displayed.*
"Impressive. I'm sure it would be quite a bit more so, were your opponent to fight back."

*Plucking a couple more strings until satisfied with the sound put out by them, he gently returns the instrument to it's protective case and locks it in before standing.*
"So, I must admit that you have quite the interesting weapon there - where did you obtain that? It doesn't look like something you would commonly find in this part of Khorvaire."

TekHed
2010-10-09, 04:54 PM
"Impressive. I'm sure it would be quite a bit more so, were your opponent to fight back."

The warforged squints, unsure of whether or not the bard had just insulted him.

"Yes, well. A warrior must always continue training."

"So, I must admit that you have quite the interesting weapon there - where did you obtain that? It doesn't look like something you would commonly find in this part of Khorvaire."

Krieg scratches his temple, looking at the sword.

"Yanno? That's funny but I can't remember. It must have been forged with me I guess."

Sir
2010-10-09, 07:05 PM
"Tch, never expect death; you'll only invite it." The old soldier's maxim had been proven often enough, and such a lack of concern for one's own life had led to plenty of poor decisions in the past. "Still, I suppose an established position would be helpful. Could produce a few more reliable - if not necessarily disinterested - reports."

"But what makes you so certain you'll find the instigators that way? I'll grant you I hope to find much the same myself, although my end interest is more in what happened rather than who did it, but it does not seem the most reliable method of investigation."

"Hmm, I don't think I explained correctly. The people who did this must pay, obviously, so I will -must- go to great lengths to make sure they get their punishment. But, even though I am not shabby at combat nor investigation, I do not think that is the task for me, even I am not confident enough to think I can catch and kill a person or group that destroyed an entire nation. But at the very least, I can help the people who can. My main purpose is really to put in that very small kick to start the cleansing. I won't be able to rebuild Cyre alone, or even with help, but if I show the world that it can be done, then I can die knowing I did something to better the world.

I do not wish to die, oh no, because the longer I stay alive in there, the closer I get to my goal. I don't expect this expidition to be very deadly, as we have a so far extremely competent group.

That reminds me, do you know much combat magic, or are you purely a professor seeking knowledge? The latter is fine, since we need someone of your knowledge to keep us alive and in the right direction, but I have seen some spellweavers throw some fearsome spells in my time."

He turned his head and acknowledged the changeling with a short nod, his hand never stopping from polishing the bright flame on his shield, moving with years of practice guiding it.

Sallera
2010-10-09, 08:10 PM
"Hm, arcana is more of a study than a practice for me. I don't know much in the way of flashy tricks; my talents lie more in the direction of subtle enhancements and gathering knowledge. Wouldn't want to deprive you blade-wielders of the joy of hacking things apart, after all." She glances over at Krieg impaling the tree, letting the tortured creaking of the half-dead wood subside before continuing.

"As impressive as your defoliation techniques may be, Krieg, it will take us forever to get through the forest that way. Shall we continue on to the border?"

TekHed
2010-10-09, 08:15 PM
"What? Are we all here now? Finally. I was getting so bored waiting for all you meatbags to get done with your grocery shopping. I've been trying to get this train underway since we arrived. If we're all ready, set go, then by all means: Make way for the Lightning Rail!"

He smiles.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-09, 08:18 PM
Good idea, I'll take you into the forest tomorrow as I'm so tired right now so I'm gonna get some sleepies.

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-10, 12:04 PM
Pollux Cannith

*As the massive warrior finishes his kata, Pollux stands, pulling out his own blade as he moves towards the poor old tree. It's not nearly as scary as the death made manifest blade that the warrior carried, but a finely crafted blade in it's own right.*

*Taking something that resembled a battle-stance, he took a moment to gather himself before lunging with the weapon, the edge of the blade chipping a small bit of the tree off, but for the most part, inneffective.*

*With a loud sniff, Pollux turns his head to the side and regards the tree for a moment before shrugging and putting the blade away.*
"Well, that was as effective as expected. You know, it's a good thing I have a great many other talents, or I fear I'd be better suited turning this blade in for a mule and plow."

*Smiling, amused at his own jest, he makes his way back over to his pony, stroking it's muzzle to calm it*
"Don't worry, Kilmreg - we'll be just fine. Besides, most of the nasties that hide here don't even like horseflesh. No they don't. People taste so much better..."

*Clicking his toungue, he leads the animal along with the rest of the group. Hopefully this wasn't going to be nearly as disastrous as the last time he was here.*

TekHed
2010-10-10, 03:15 PM
Krieg gives Pollux a friendly pat on the back, knocking the wind right out of the poor bard, before addressing him sagely.

"Well, keep on practicing. You may yet make a fine warrior someday. Remember, the man with only mediocre talent who strives every day will outshine the talented who does nothing. It's the inner drive that is most important."

The giant sheathes the mighty blade, rolling up the silken wrapping and stowing it in a pocket hidden within his wide flaring skirt. Propping the large greatsword back on one shoulder, Krieg trots alongside the others, clearly in a good mood and humming what was likely a rousing warforged battle-hymn.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-11, 10:49 AM
The forest looms ahead of you, immovable and disconcerting. It toys with you, whispers at you in languages you don't understand, words you cannot hear. Shapes dance at the edge of your vision when looking at it, disappearing when you go looking for them. You cannot see any wildlife within the trees from here, though every now and then you hear the screeching of carrion birds carrying on the wind.

The trees themselves show now sign of damage on the outside, yet are dead and rotten to their very core. Here and there small pieces of bark have fallen off to reveal inside grey, pulpy wood matters that looks more like old glue than hard, solid fibrous trees. It seems that the trees behave like the corpses of fallen soldiers you've heard rumors about. They're truly dead, but you some eldritch power has consumed and warped them, making them appear as if life still courses through them. The air smells musty, undistrubed, still. There is the faintest touch of mold on the air, not the mold of bread and fruit a week past it's best, but an insidious mold that has just begun to take hold.

There are few pathways through these woods remaining as nobody passes through here now. The small number remaining are slowly dwindling, being overtaken by the thicks roots and vines you see covering the entire forest floor. Though this only slows your movement in the thickest of undergrowth it isn't as horrible as the vines themselves. They twitch and move to the touch, recoiling from your bodies and your warmth. Occasionally a small creeper will slowly reach out for you when you've stood still for too long, but batting it away is all that's required for it to cease it's invasion. You get the sense that the forest isn't used to the warmth of your bodies within it's borders and is trying to draw you into itself until you are as cold and dead and brittle as the forest itself.

Before you is the only pathway entering from Vathirond, though you can always travel off of the path. However the trees are spaced much closer together and going would be slow. If you travel down this path for roughly 15 minutes you reach a fork in the path, leading left or right.

Sallera
2010-10-11, 04:34 PM
"Interesting," mutters Lyth as she kicks a questing creeper off the path. "Well outside the border, but these effects are similar to those inside. One would think the malaise had the potential to spread, but the border of the mist has not moved since the Mourning."

She glances down at the ground as they reach the fork, scanning for any signs of recent passage. "One way is probably as good as the other, I suppose."

Search: [roll0]

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-11, 05:45 PM
There are no visible tracks, animal or otherwise. Besides, you're group is the the only ones to have made any progress at the moment so you can't really follow anybody else.

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-12, 11:51 AM
Pollux Cannith

*The forest is something like a deja-vu nightmare for the young man, though he keeps his mouth clamped shut, the mucle at the side of his mouth clenching rhythmically as they walk.*

*It had been a long time since he'd even come near the Mournland again, but the malaise of the forest was all too familiar. All too disgusting to forget.*

"No. It's not spreading. At least not that anyone can tell."

*He looks almost surprised at his own words, and shrugs. May as well keep talking.*

"The best anyone can figure, this is more like a cut. The wound itself has well defined edges, but the skin around it becomes hot an inflamed. Irritated and red. It isn't part of the actual cut, but the effects are still evident, just on a much larger scale."

*Reaching out to swat at a small vine hanging down, his voice grows a little softer.*

"I pray to the Host that they're right, that this isn't spreading. Every night..."

Tsumeken
2010-10-12, 03:25 PM
Yun

Yun listened to the others, observing them as she waited making her own kind of assumptions about the land in front of them. The forest itself had made her curious at first, but now worried her greatly as they moved through it. Though nothing was known to live here she knew that those words only were met by joining phrase of nothing that anyone has every seen lives there. It seemed to terrible a sight to b real and she was sure it had to an illusion, but that was what they were hired to find out in a way what had happened.

She spoke up after much thought, "We should set ourselves ready to deal with any unseen perils ahead, perhaps a order of sorts to set us ready for dangers while we march through this area."
She hoped that she was clear enough with her concern as she waited, she did not like the though of them proceeding without a plan or at least a marching order so that the others would know who was where at all times.

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-12, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=DueceEsMachine;9535155]Pollux Cannith

*At Yuns words, Pollux nods, a thankful smile on his face that someone was keeping their head. He wasn't.*

"Yes, you're quite right - we need to get organized. I'm not sure who wants to be where, but I most definitely do not want to take point - that always ends badly for me. I'd rather stay somewhere near the middle of the group - if I'm to be of any use, it will be at range, or where I can easily reach people. I don't know. Just my two coppers, but any other ideas are more than welcome."

*Looking around, he waits for the large warriors to speak - if anyone would have experience with battle formations, the two of them would for sure.*

Sallera
2010-10-12, 07:57 PM
"Marching orders?" Lyth's voice sounds mildly amused, although her face isn't visible, engaged as she is in attempting to guess the likely path of each trail. "That sounds rather military. I'm not planning on doing any marching, myself, but I suppose you're free to engage if you wish."

Despite her mockery, she betrays her own knowledge soon enough, while in the midst of scanning the brush for a fallen road marker. "Trails like this, walking single file, it doesn't matter what order we're in, since something could hit us from any point just as easily. Only thing that matters is who's in front, in case there's something on the path itself, and the answer to that seems obvious enough."

"Tch, I can't tell. Forests are such a hassle to navigate. Let's go left."

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-13, 11:22 AM
Feel free to organise marching orders etc. as you wish, though Lyth is right. An attack could come from any side. If nobody objects we'll go left tomorrow. I don't want to blunder ahead if others want to discuss possible actions.

TekHed
2010-10-13, 10:19 PM
"Well I'm happy to take the lead!" boasts Krieg. "No sense in any of you bread puddings taking the first hit. That's why us 'forged were invented yanno...someone finally figured out that meat didn't make the best meatshields."

He grabbed at a vine that had started curling around one of his horns and tugged violently, causing a mas of writing tendrls to snap down along with the branch they had been atached to.

"Gah! What is with this place?!? Don't these plants know that vegetation is supposed to, you know, vegetate?"

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-14, 08:58 AM
Pollux Cannith

*Despite the surroundings and the slight scolding by the small woman, Pollux chuckles at the warforged and his antics.*

"Evidently not. I have to wonder how you think plants are to vegetate, exactly. After all. There are quite a few naturally occuring plants that are quite agressive. I've never seen them myself, but I've read dissertations on several different variations of plants that are indeed carnivorous. Bladder plants, pitfall, snap-trap and even some that reportedly fire poisoned thorns at passing animals. I've heard they can even get large enough to take down large deer, though these of course would be quite rare."

*Pausing for a moment, he looks around and realizes that an over-grown, twisted forest, right at the edge of a dying wasteland of twisted reality and nature is perhaps not the best place to discuss such things. Clearing his throat, he blinks hard a couple times, looking somewhat embarrased.*

"Of course... there are much more pleasant flora around as well.... there are... um. Daisies, roses and calililies that.... oh dear. I beleive it is time for a change of subject. "

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-14, 11:53 AM
You take the left hand turn, with Krieg leading the way and Pollux feebly trying to assuage the hatred of the forest. The path becomes more irratic. It thins, widens an meanders through the woods. As far as you can tell you're still heading east, though the whispers from earlier become more intense and you're sure that they're not just figments of your imagination or wind through the trees. There's definitely something else here besides you.

Everywhere you look there are birds, though only in small numbers. They're in the trees, watching you on the path. As you travel along birds of all species will come and land on the branches and watch you, then fly away once you're out of sight. They're all silent and attentive, just watching you pass.

Everybody make me a perception check please.

Sallera
2010-10-14, 12:27 PM
"Well, I'm no biologist, but a plant with the venom to take down a deer and the accuracy to hit it would certainly be an interesting sight." Lyth attempts to listen to the whispers as they pass, trying to find something other than mindless rambling in them. "At least the birds seem to find us interesting. Suppose they don't get many visitors."

Perception: [roll0]

Sir
2010-10-15, 02:13 AM
Artuan, walking behind krieg, hums a small tune as his companions talk of deadly plants, not learned or interested enough to inject his opinio yet, he watches the birds flutter around. At first it was a relief that they Weren't too alien, and they seemed happy, but as he looked closer, he reliazed that they had something... Wrong about then. Couldn't place it though.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-15, 06:17 AM
Artuan rolls [roll0]

Sallera
2010-10-15, 11:03 AM
"Hm... it seems that perhaps this forest has an inhabitant, if that persistent little bird is any indication." Lyth turns to face it as they pass, slowing slightly, although she doesn't stop walking.

"Well, bird, if bird you be, you've got our attention. State your business, or go find someone who can."

Sense Motive (under an enchantment? only pretending?): [roll0]

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-15, 11:34 AM
You're too preoccupied with your own thoughts about the possibilities to get a good reading on the bird.

When you address the bird it stares intently at you Lyth for a second then turns and flies away into the woods. Infact, the numbers of birds slowly reduce in number. As the last bird flies away you think you're finally alone. Then you start to find what happened to the rest of the forests inhabitants. On the ground, inbetween roots, scattered over the dwindling path and hanging from webs are the dessicated and bleached bones of small animals. Rabbits, squirrels and all manner of foragers lay strewn around you.

After a few minutes of this you also realise that all backround noise has disappeared. The whispers have returned though. From all directions the phantom noise assaults you. They're shouting at you. Demanding you leave, threatening you with torture, death and despair. The trees dwindle in number, though their trunks are thicket so travelling becomes no easier.

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-15, 12:19 PM
Pollux Cannith

*While Pollux had been mostly unawares of the surrounding forest creatures before, their distinct lack catches even his wandering attention, and as he looks around, the voices around them increasing along with the disturbing nature of their surroundings, his eyes widen, his steps a little more cautious.*

"Sometimes when something very bad is going to happen, I get this shivering feeling down my spine and a tightness in my gut, as well as other places..... Anyone else getting that right now? 'cause if not, I've got a spider in my shirt doing a dance......."

Sallera
2010-10-15, 12:28 PM
Lyth snorts, gesturing at the hanging webs. "I think the spiders are in more than your shirt. Rather hungry, too, from the looks of it. And would you shut up?" This last is directed out into the whispering forest with a glare. "'We're all doomed! Going the way of the squirrels!' I think we get the idea by now!"

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-15, 01:08 PM
The shouting voices quieten down for a second, almost like a scolded child. Then they resume, louder, more intense. From every direction. From below you a small vine goes to attack you but it cannot move fast enough to cause any damage. It falls to the floor after brushing against your hip feebly.

Alllll of you. You must leave. Get out! Your presence here....it'ssssss unnatural. You don't belong, nothing belongs here. Nothing can remain here. You cannot take root. YOU CANNOT GROW!

Sallera
2010-10-15, 01:29 PM
Lyth stops, folding her arms and glaring out into the writhing wood. "We would get out, if you weren't making so much effort to delay us. But when we leave, it will be at the far end of the forest - if you want us out of here so badly, then ease our path to the other side. Otherwise, I'm sure Krieg will be happy to demonstrate his defoliation techniques on whatever you put in our way."

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-15, 01:55 PM
No.

Above and to the right, sitting on a branch is tiny, wrinkled girl. When you go to look at her though she's gone, to reappear rising out of the ground 30 feet behind your back-most member. When charging to attack she instantly drops down, as if a trapdoor has been opened beneath her. Reappearing to your left, 10 feet out of the trail, hanging half out of a rotten tree trunk she cackles at you. Slapping the tree 3 times, she winks and then lets out one long scream. Around you the corpses of dozens small animals inhale as one and scream with her. Before you know if there is a growing, seething mass on skeletal remains forming around you.

Satisfied that she will have more children in a few moments, the small girl turns to leave. She skates through the earth, not over it. She is submerged ankle deep in dirt and leaf litter, melting or passing through matter.

You have the oppurtunity to make one round to make a ranged attack against this forest girl. She is currently 50ft away and moving.

After that roll initiative :smallamused:

Swarm: [roll0]

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-15, 02:38 PM
Pollux Cannith

"Ah! Sweet Soveriegn Host! Just leave them be - maybe they won't hurt us."
*One hand jerking up to the holy symbol at his neck, Pollux backs up, putting the other hand on his pony reassuringly."

"Shh... don't worry. Everything will be alright. Quiet now."

Okay! Time to make some checks - let's do, knowledge - nature, to see if I can get a guess of what the little girl is, and I'm going to delay an action until the first of her little skeletal critters attack to make a turn undead attempt.
So:
Knowledge [roll0]
and Turn attempt :
Check: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Hopefully this works. I'll use the disciple of the sun feat to destroy any that I turn as well.
Edit: so, max hit dice affected - 6

Sallera
2010-10-15, 02:45 PM
Something tells me I can't hold this girl with her own forest. And she's probably not mortal, either. But it's a better chance than turning the trees against her. Reaching out, Lyth considers simply drawing the air shut around the girl, attempting to remove all thoughts of movement from her mind, for she doesn't seem to be a familiar spirit.

Yeah... there's no way Entangle's going to work here. :smalltongue: So, if Lyth can't identify her...
Knowledge (Religion): [roll0]
Knowledge (Arcana): [roll1]
(should have known I'd regret not having Nature)
...trying a Hold Person, DC17 Will. If Lyth does manage to identify that she is not a valid target for Hold Person, she'll just cast Mass Conviction instead to give everyone a +3 morale bonus to saves for the next hour.

And initiative: [roll2]

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-15, 03:01 PM
It's a swarm of undead animal skeletons, but thankfully they're still forming hence the 1 turn free to do something. So it possesses swarm traits etc. Also I assume your pony is straight out of the MM1 for stats?

Lyth you do realise from your beastly knowledge checks that it isn't infact human (or person). So conviction away.

Pollux, they haven't yet formed so you'd waste a turn undead attempt, do it next turn. Also are you delaying to go before or after the swarm? Are you readying an action to turn when they atttack?

TekHed
2010-10-15, 07:55 PM
Krieg get's ever more irritated and paranoid as the whispers increase in volume and intensity.

When the girl appears, Krieg laughs, thinking she must be some kind of tree sprite. When she soon proves malicious, Krieg has had it.

"Enough! First the vines and now the bones of the dead. Have you no respect? Be gone with you foul spirit!"

Krieg rushes the impish creature, drawing his blade as he runs, preparing to smite it down.

Whirling Frenzy-Rage-Double-move-charge-leap-attack-power-attack-for-two-Earth-Strike-Smite-charging-Deep-Crystal-Weapon.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

AC: 25, Rounds left to Rage: 8, 2 PP expended, 22 remaining. 2 rages/day left, 0 Earth Smites remaining.

Sir
2010-10-16, 12:34 PM
Artuan growls at the undead, whipping out his sword from his hip, and putting his shield in a defensive position. "Someone with a bow or spell get that thing! I knew this land was cursed, but a swarm of bunny skeletons?! Thats just wrong. They're supposed to be cute!" He beckons the writhing mass forward with his sword, not worrying about Krieg charging off into the wilderness. Training and minor brainwashing kicked in then, and he began to target the best places to hit the mass in the back of his head, all the while chanting a prayer under his breath, removing any fear that would of been in a lesser man of these horrible, fearsome, bunnies.

Initiative:[roll0]
Action: Total Defense

AC: 25/21
HP: 54/54
Fort: 17 Ref: 9 Will: 17

Edit: Forgot the Lyth's Conviction morale modifier for my saves.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-16, 03:57 PM
Krieg, seeing the girl escaping, jumps into action. Bounding over the slowly forming mass of bones he sprints, draws his collassal blade and brings it smashing down. His blade leaves a deep gash along her back, though she doesn't let out any sound of discomfort. However she does stumble forwards and rolls, turning a few rotations through the air before melting into the ground again. Where she once lay is now a puddle of brown-grey goo. Appearing out of a tree 45ft to your north east, off of the path, she begins running again

She's now sprinting, sliding her way through the earth and trees alike. She doesn't run around trees, just melts right through them.

Krieg perception check please.

TekHed
2010-10-16, 04:05 PM
Bah! Making me pay for that Inattentive Flaw I see...well played...

[roll0]

Edit: EPIC FAIL! :smallsigh:

I take it she is using some kind of dimension door power? Otherwise my burrow ability would come in handy here, 'cept she is so freakin' fast...

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-16, 04:11 PM
Yeah it's dimension door modified to...tree-door. Also you see nothing, close though. You were only...about....a few...alot away from the DC :smallcool: Also you burrow at 15ft spee, you couldn't match that xD As it stands she's currently 45 feet away and running. You dealt her a pretty deap wound though.

Tsumeken
2010-10-16, 08:00 PM
Yun didn't know what to think when she saw the undead bunnies. True, she could talk to undead but only if she knew their language. Bunnies were one thing that she couldn't think of what to do other than maybe try to yell at them "There are carrots over there!" then run. She took a moment to think, the undead rabbits were annoying yes but not overly deadly, perhaps this was a stall tactic for something much more dastardly. She deides to voice her opinion to the others " this is most likely a diversion, we should cut a path through them quickly and move upon their animator more then deal with the multitude of bones and dead it may use in this forest." She drew the dagger, it being the only weapon she had and began to cast mage armor upon herself.

Initiative roll
[roll0]

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-16, 08:23 PM
Ok now everybody has used their free turn whilst the swarm forms, this is the initiative order.

Swarm 21
Sir 19
Girl 13
Pollux 10
Yun 11
Krieg 9
Lyth 7

The girl is escaping but in one direction. I'll start this tomorrow night as it's bed time :smallsigh:

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-17, 01:26 PM
This is currently how I see the environment, if you see ay discrepencies then....say.

OK! There was a handmade table here but it went all wrong when it displayed the post, so i'll make a table using the codes etc. So bear with me as I suck at making tables.

Gi = Girl
S = swarm (10x10ft)
Everything else should be explanatory

The swarm moved from the north and now Artuan currently shares a square with the swarm, so you take 2d6 damage: 2d6.

Also whenever you post your turn please make a fortitude save DC 16 or be nauseated for 1 round due to the swarm's distraction ability.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-17, 01:29 PM
Accidently rolled 2d26 xD tried to edit it but the roll doesn't match the database etc. so [roll0]. Artuan takes damage!

Sir
2010-10-17, 07:27 PM
Er, I see no table! Is this an emperor's clothes sorta thing? :smalltongue: Well, I guess I don't need it to post, as I have to deal with the swarm anyway. Also, with conviction I have a 17 fort save, so distraction is a non-issue :smallbiggrin:. One of my main strengths and all that.

Artuan quickly and lightly swings his sword at the advancing swarm a couple times, trying to buy some time for Krieg to catch the.. girl? Quickly recognizing that the swarm wont relent, he steps forward to meet them, swinging his blade in wide arcs, ignoring the bites around his legs. As his sword enters the mass, it began to shine with a bright light that seemed trapped within the metal, bursting the tiny monsters where it touched them.

Full Action: Full attack all the way! I am going to assume the undead are evil, contrary to their benign appearance :smalltongue:.

Attack 1 (+8 Power Attack): [roll0]

Attack 2 (+5 Power Attack): [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

AC: 21/21
HP: 48/54

Effects:
Conviction: Casted by Lyth, +3 to all saves (?)

Sallera
2010-10-17, 08:06 PM
"Hm. Irritating creature." Drawing a heavy crossbow, Lyth takes a step back from the swarm and slips a bolt into the weapon, the recoil barely moving her as she fires at the fleeing girl, albeit without much grace.

Attack: [roll0]

It occurs to me that Lyth's spell list might have a little too much utility. But it doesn't help that our foes are immune to most everything she can do. ^^;;

Tsumeken
2010-10-18, 03:40 AM
Yun

Yun keeps the dagger at the ready as she begins muttering an incantation under her breath forming three orbs of light in her hand before throwing them after the girl as she seemed to e the cause of this, hoping to slow her down or stop her.

Magic Missile damages
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Edit: If the dagger would of given me a arcane failure chance I will use a 2nd level slot to still spell the missile attack.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-18, 05:29 AM
{table=head]n/a|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|
1|Gi| t| t|t| - | - | - | t| t| t| t
2| t| t| t|t| - | - | - | t| t| t| t
3| t| t| t|t| - | - | - | t| t| t| t
4| t| t| t|t| - | - | K | t| t| t| t
5| t| t| t|t| - | - | - | t| t| t| t
6| t| t| t|t| - | - | - | t| t| t| t
7|t|t|t|t|-|-|-|t|t|t|t
8|t|t|t|t|-|-|-|t|t|t|t
9|t|t|t|t|-|-|-|t|t|t|t
10|t|t|t|t|-|S|S|t|t|t|t
11|t|t|t|t|-|S|A|t|t|t|t
12|t|t|t|t|-|-|-|t|t|t|t
13|t|t|t|t|P|-|-|t|t|t|t
14|t|t|t|t|-|L|Y|t|t|t|t
15|t|t|t|t|-|-|-|t|t|t|t
[/TABLE]

This is how i see the battlefield currently. t=trees and undergrowth. It counts as difficult terrain due to everything within it.

TekHed
2010-10-18, 05:39 AM
Seeing his quarry wounded and on the run, Krieg's eyes glow with the glee of a hunter. In fact his eyes begin to glow in earnest with a brilliant white light. Lightning begins to arc from his eyes and from his feet, levitating him approximately 6 inches off the ground. You've seen this before...it looks exactly the way the Lightning Rail appears when levitating, only there are no enchanted stones beneath Krieg's feet...only the litter of leaves and turf. Grinning wickedly he literally skates on this lightning, mimicking the eas of movement the girl displayed and with a surpringly similar speed...

Manifest the power Skate. 21 PP remaining. Movement is now 45, move to girls location...if she has moved another 45 by the time my initiative comes around, Krieg makes a double move if necessary to end up adjacent to her.

Edit: dude there has got to be a better way of showing a map than that. Want me to look into it for you?

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-18, 05:45 AM
I'd love it Tek. I suck at making those tables and it can come out pretty incoherent. I was gonna look into maptools but doesn't that require us all to be using it at once?

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-19, 07:19 PM
Resolving the round.

Before the swarm have a chance to move in on his allies, Pollux focuses divine energy through his religious focus and blasts the foul creation with his purity. Like blowing hard against the surface of water, a large valley is created through the swarm where the skeletons were just atomised, fragments of bonemeal falling to the ground. However just like water, more creatures surged in to take their place.

The swarm ends up occupying the same space as Artuan, dealing the already mentioned 6 damage.

Artuan, taking large swings with his sword manages to cut a large channel through the swarm. However on his second swing he connects with very few skeletal forms. Unfortunately the density of targets in that area were very thin.

On the girls turn She skates through the earth to end up 80ft ahead of Krieg, and is moving straight forward along the road. (I believe she's in charging distance) Whilst sliding along the ground she turns on one leg and, jogging backwards, gestures with both of her arms. Starting low, she then raises them up high in a triumphant, powerful motion. And out of the ground springs a GIANT ARM AND HAND! It towers 8ft tall and slams it's palm down, trying to grab you to slow your progress.
This spell effect doesn't cause an AoO. It makes a Touch attack to grab you.:[roll0]
If this hits an opposed grapple check. Arm: [roll1] vs Krieg: [roll2]
I rolled this for you to streamline combat a little.

Yun you conjure up 3 small orbs of force and send them hurtling after the Girl, hitting her square in the back and pushing her pallid, decaying flesh inwards. You create 3 equally shaped, large indents in her back which slowly push back out, like poking into a slice of bread.

Kriegs turn (assuming he doesn't become grappled etc.):
Krieg, also skating, double moves up to end up adjacent next to the Girl. After every long sride his feet travel another 2 feet along the ground before he lifts his next leg to take a step. Such is the speed of his movement that he disturbs leaf litter along the edge of the pathway.

The crossbow bolt from Lyths attack sadly misses, sailing over her shoulder and causing her to jump. It embeds itself a tree and shakes with the sudden lack of momentum.

Sallera
2010-10-20, 03:36 PM
"No time for playing tag, ronin." Drawing the air inward around the earthen hand, Lyth forces it into every crack she can find, drawing a few sparks from Krieg's feet into the spell's substance. Closing her fist, she ignites the energy in the contained air, forcing it outward in an attempt to shatter the spell.

Dispel Magic on the hand. Might want to delay until after this, Krieg, in case it works. CL check: [roll0]

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-20, 04:15 PM
Opposed CL check. DC of 11+CL...19. Oooh you barely scrape by :smalltongue: If Krieg delays to be after Lyth he will be no longer grappled. If he doesn't delay....then he wasted Lyths standard action xD Nice guy.

TekHed
2010-10-20, 05:17 PM
Sounds good. Will hold action. :smallsmile:

Tsumeken
2010-10-21, 02:44 PM
Yun

Yun seeing the path between the bunny swarm open up due to the divine smiting,, runs forward trying to press her way through it [30 feet]. As soon as she does so, she takes aim again, loosing another volley of missles towards the corpse girl, hoping to put it down.

Magic Missle Damage:
[roll0]

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-22, 09:10 AM
Pollux Cannith

Hp - 19/19 Ac -24 [
U]Current Effects in place [/U]/ Rounds remaining

*As the tiny skeletal horrors dissolve with the wave of holy energy, Pollux can't help but shudder in revulsion. That'll be something showing up in his nightmares. Tiny skeletal animals. And they were sure to encounter far worse before the journey was over.*

*Turning his attention to the fleeing creature responsible for their creation, he moves forward a few steps while pulling the small crossbow from where it hangs at his side and deftly drops a bolt onto the tense string and lets fly, hoping it will help solve the situation. After all, when in doubt, fill it with gaping wounds, right?*

Okay, already rolled the stuff on the OOC, I'm fairliy sure you can draw a weapon while making a move action, then just the standard action to fire.
Good Heavans I hadn't realized how rusty I am at this.... :smallfrown:

Sir
2010-10-22, 12:46 PM
Artuan backpedals as the swarm crashes into him, enveloping him in biting teeth and scratching claws. Drawing back his shield into a forward position as he manages to get out of the swarm for a moment, he glances at the rest of the battle. Noticing the girl-fey-thing so far away, he worries, but not overly so since he can't help with that. Turning back to the swarm, who was beginning to recognize where he was, he brought his sword down -still shining- into them, bursting more undead. Short on options, he hoped it would provide enough time for the spellweavers to bring down that damned girl.

Full Action: Another Full attack on the swarm, with a five foot step to G-12. If this doesn't kill them/turn them away, I'll have to get creative :smallamused:.

Attack 1 (+8 Power Attack): [roll0]

Attack 2 (+4 Power Attack): [roll2]
Damage: [roll]1d10+10[roll]

AC: 21/21
HP: 48/54

Effects:
Conviction, casted by Lyth, +3 to all saves (?)

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-22, 02:17 PM
Deuce
Drawing your weapon is a move action, which I can understand for, say, a greatsword. But a crossbow dangling at your hip should be different. However the rules are there for a reason. I'll act as if you stayed still so you can draw and attack. She's now just outside of one range increment, so you take a -2 penalty, meaning you don't hit :smallfrown: Don't worry about being rusty, I hadn't realised how many of the less common rules I'd forgotten and had to relearn.

Pollux, loading his crossbow takes aim to hit the Girl straight in her back. Even though he aimts high, the crossbow bolt falls just short, the wind taking the power out of his shot.

The Swarm continues it's assualt, moving towards the group, hoping to consume more people. However it keeps Artuan within it's grasp, nibbling at him and knawing against his shins.
At the end of the swarms turn it's much closer to the casters, thought it decides to still eat at Artuan, so the spellweavers are safe...for now
Artuan takes [roll0]

Artuan, sensing the advance of the Swarm, takes two mighty swings. Both carve massive waves of destruction through the mass of bone. It is plain to see that the foul forces holding the beast together as a single organism are slipping as more and more skeletons are destroyed. The Swarm shakes, recoiling from the blows. The time it takes to reform is significanlt slower than last time, the Swarm is on it's last legs.

The Girl, sensing imminent defeat, turns to face Krieg after finding range. She still has a confident smile though which is quite unnerving. She braces herself and takes a heavy stance, her feet sink into the ground ever so slightly to strengthen her. In her hand she forms a ball of energy with thorns wrapped around it, then casts it out at you. [roll1] Touch attack :smallamused: [roll2]

Just as she's turned round to meet Krieg , 3 balls of force hit her square in the chest, knocking the wind out of her. She grimaces and then steels herself for the oncoming tornado that is The Psiforged.

Lyth and Krieg, working as a cohesive team, manage to overcome the massive earthen hand. Krieg is then allowed to charge The Girl. Krieg runs on, screaming a war cry as Lyth finishes discarding the remnants of the earth hand.

Krieg you are currently 10 feet from her at the end of your double move, staring the forest incarnate in the face.

Sallera
2010-10-22, 03:31 PM
"Hm, little close. Looks like this will come in handy." Lyth discards the crossbow and draws the light blade, holding it in a guard position while she keeps her eye on the girl, waiting for her to try another spell.

Readying an action to counterspell.

TekHed
2010-10-22, 06:23 PM
Taking a thorny ball of energy in the chest did not improve Krieg's mood. He could feel the fell energy pass right through his armored carapace and start grinding away at his insides. Now free from the immobilizing hand, Krieg rushes forward with renewed vigor, bellowing a mighty Kiai as he flies improbably through the air to slam down blade first from above, his shadow blotting out the light as the demon-fey looks up with shock and awe.

Jump Check: [roll0] = 7+8 feet: total leap: 15 feet up!

Attack (Power attack for 2): [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
Dungeoncrasher: [roll3]

Total Damage...90!!!
P.S. Fury, I shouldn't have taken an AoO from that big hand since I have the improved Bullrush Feat. No worries though, just for next time...

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-23, 02:12 AM
Oh! Sorry Tek I didn't know. Won't happen again.

Krieg jumps and brings his collossal blade up, behind his head ready to swing it down like the hammer blow of a smith. The air rushes past as Krieg begins to obey gravity again.

It's all over.

Krieg's sword came crashing down, the body of the blade passing through the Girl from right shoulder to left hip. No blood comes out, only a slow exhalation of air from inside her. Sliding his sword out, the Girl has nothing left holding her upright. Her feet sink into the ground about one foot, the earth hardening around her.

Slowly, over the next 20 seconds, she changes. Her legs are first, widening, combining, knitting together to create the firm base. If you could see them, her feet would grow outwards, reaching for sustenance. Her hips harden and her entire body grows to the width of 5 feet, her pallid flesh darkening and hardening, forming a protective layer. Her skin is slowly shifting into bark. However, this tree has been greviously wounded. Her chest cannot pull together, tendrils and vines and wispy root systems claw out frantically to grab the other half and pull it in and begin the regrowth. The impact points of Yun's missiles have become deep, rough knots. From within the massive damage caused by Krieg comes a low whispering, the creaking of a falling tree in the forest. The arms thicken, twist, form impossible shapes for a humanoid. They too are covered with bark. A limb for a limb, she now has reaching tree branches. With everything going on you almost didn't notice that she has grown by atleast 10 feet, the highest reaches of her branches almost pushing into the lower leaves and branches of the trees above.

All the while there is the low breathing, air rushing out. A death rattle, like that of the old diseased woman.

Like the death rattle of Cyre.

Ahh what have you done toooo me! She tries to move her arms, her tree limbs only awkwardly shifting in the non-existent breeze. WHY! Why did you do this! I'm the life blood of this forest! The only being, the only force keeping this palce together! Can't you see how I've fixed it! Can't you smell that fresh air! The wind passes through these boughs cleaner and fresher than it ever did. How do you not see!

You do see. You do. You see the monstrocity before you. The warped Dryad sits before you, deeply rooted but falling apart. Where her roots have permeated the soil there is a deep burning black taking over the soil. It can only reach out so far. It creaps out to about 4 feet from her deformed trunk, reaching Kriegs feet and causing a burning sensation to shoot through the deep crystal encased within his armor.

The Dryad sighs, the deep rattling breath rushing out of her.

Tsumeken
2010-10-23, 07:52 AM
Yun makes her way through the tree line and brambles to move near the undead fey though keeping at leat fine ft from her. It was pitiable, the corruption that had destroyed this place most surely destroyed her mind as well. In her twisted logic she was the lifeblood of this dead place and they had killed it. "You've done a great job with the area, it indeed seems better then the others but no is your time to rest. We seek the path through these lands and no doubt would it also lead to the source of your current state." She tried to pick her words carefully as most dead she dealt with were spirits watched over others and relatives, but this one watched over a whole forest in it's mind, it may be harder to convince to cooperate "Please if you could offer any hint or advice for the journey ahead of us it would be appreciated, we wish to see this land green again as well."

Diplomacy Check (Undead Empathy if needed)
[roll0]

Sallera
2010-10-23, 01:02 PM
Lyth moves forward, retrieving and stowing her weapons. She regards the former dryad with a mixture of contempt and pity, but there is a faint hint of regret in her voice when she speaks. "You are blind, child. What you have brought to this forest is but the mockery of life, an animation that functions only through your own will and power. And it has twisted you, as well. You don't even realize it, do you? You attacked us, tried to kill us, and probably thought you were doing us a favour. And now you cannot even understand why we retaliated."

"Open your eyes. Remember what this place once was, if you have not lost even that, and accept that you were wrong. And remember the feel of this, that you might know what you are missing." Trusting to the thick boots she wears, Lyth walks forward onto the blackened earth, placing a hand as near to the dryad's former chest as she can reach, and channels a burst of positive energy through the diseased wood. Continuing on to the other side, she walks onward, only stopping several paces past the direct reach of the dryad's corruption to wait for the others.

It probably doesn't matter, but that's for [roll0] from the Healing Belt.

TekHed
2010-10-23, 07:36 PM
Kaen is still levitating on lightning (probably also scorching the ground) about 6 inches from the deck.

"Hmph! I split you like timber that's what I did you nefarious nymph! I'd spit on you if I had the glands. I've half a mind to turn you into kindling yet and make a fire for my fine friends, whom you so sadly attacked. Good riddance!"

Krieg sheathes his blade.

"Well now. A little excitement at the start of our journey. Is anyone injured? We should move out soon, lest any other unwholesome surprises lie in wait..."

He clutches at his chest for a moment and makes a kind of coughing noise.

"Gak! Whatever nasty spell she used mucked up my innards. I don't suppose any of you happen to know any repair spells? I have a wand, but I'd rather save the consumables for when we are actually IN the Mournland and there is no other recourse..."

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-24, 12:43 PM
Pollux Cannith

*For a long while, Pollux stands, watching as the transformation takes place, feeling far more for the twisted creature than he would ever willingly admit. It reminded him too much of... no sense dwelling on it.*

*Moving forward to the edge of the blackened circle around the tree, he kneels for a moment and bows his head, saying a silent prayer for the lost soul - that she might find her way to the evergrowing forest before standing again and taking the reins of his pony.*

"I've no desire to stay here any longer, let's see how far we can make it before we set up camp. Maybe if we're lucky it will be uneventful."
*Falling into step with the others, he let his mind wander, and decided that it might be best to mention something now, rather than later.*
"You know, we're likely to see much, much stranger things than this in the mists - there's madness there that makes this poor creature seem innocent."

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-27, 07:36 AM
NNNRRRRGH! The touch of the positive energy causes her to writhe in pain, though a visible change in the wood of her body is apparent. It looks less dead and seems to heal, the bark growing browner and radiating outwards.

What have you done to me! You don't understand, I am this forest! It's very lifeforce is attached to me. It's roots run deep with the passion I hold for this place and the fervour with which I expunge visitors. A leaf hanging from her shoulder has turned green slowly over the course of the conversation. ARGH! STOP THAT! IT BURNS! You're hurting me, you're hurting the forest!

True to what she says, as you pump positive energy into her form the trees around you sway in the slowly returning pleasant breeze. In the distance you can see a shaft of light poking throught he trees, growing in width and intensity.

Looking to Krieg, she snarls And you! Do you care so little about the natural world around you. Look at the beauty of this place! How could you deny me, through me this forest thrives and remains beautiful, even as Cyre tries to send it's ghostly emissaries to me.

She sighs. You notice the sound isn't the slow death rattle of a dying nation like before. It's more like that of a child with the flu, nasal, phlegmy. She coughs suddenly and violently spitting a large glob of decaying leaf litter onto the floor.

Tsumeken
2010-10-27, 07:52 AM
Yun watches the area slowly returning to what a forest should be, green and lively. It would seem that the chanelling of positive energy into the Dryad's form is affecting the surrounding area as well as the creature itself, almost as if restoring it. She wondered of the effect of the realm of this evil place had lifted as well and decided a test was needed. The potion she had gotten earlier from the half-orc when they first arrived would most likely not work in this zone of death, but in this small circle of life it's powers may be restored. She uncorked the bottle as she moved to the Dryad, "This potion shall restore you to what you were, do not fight us and soon it will be over." If the potion did work on the dryad then i would prove the power of healing may be in effect for this small area of regrowth. She waited for a opening before moving quickly to force feed, if necessary, the potion to the wood nymph.

Diplomacy Check to try and calm her down some more
1d20+16

Edit: dag nabbit... rolling in OOC.

Sir
2010-10-27, 10:25 AM
Artuan smiles as the others talk to the girl, listening to her while batting the remnants of the swarm off his pant legs. Walking over to the Dryad slowly, he observes the effect Positive Energy has on her.

"Interesting, quite interesting. Do you not realize, Mistress of this wood, that the devestation of Cyre has reached you, and twisted you to believe it hasn't? Think back to what this wonderous forest was like before the Day of Mourning; Bright, green, and lively, bursting with color and beauty. Now it is.. black, rotting, and dead, decomposing away by the day. Let us help you and this forest, and stand still for a moment. Be cleansed.."

Touching her on the shoulder, he attempts to channel a mighty burst of holy energy through the poor soul before she pulls away (if she tries too).

Touch attack for if she tries to dodge the spell: [roll0](assuming she's not evil)
Casting Cure Moderate Wounds:[roll1]

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-27, 03:11 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Walking over to Krieg, Pollux winces at the sound of the creatures scream, trying to ignore it. For better or worse, the others had to try what they could.*

"Hold still, my large companion - I think I have just what you need."
*Pressing the his Holy Symbol of the Host to his breast, he bows his head and rests his free hand on the warforgeds shoulder, letting the power flow freely.*
"Onatar, heal your child."

alright, so let's see - repair light damage..... let's do it twice for good measure.
[roll0]
[roll1]

TekHed
2010-10-29, 03:31 AM
"Ahhh!" the lumbering giant sighs. The power having run out of his psionic manifestation, the lightning lowers his feet back to the ground and disapears ina final spash of sparks.

"Thank you!" Krieg does some light calisthenics, twisting each way and then bending backwards slightly opening his chest.

"A little residual soreness but I feel much better...well I'll be! Looks like the healing magick is having a pleasent effect on the things health, if not it's disposition. How much juice do you think we'ld have to blow on her to get some due gratitude, or at least an apology?"

Tsumeken
2010-10-29, 07:15 AM
Yun looked back at the large Psionic Construct thinking before answering. "I don't know if we can recieve any, her mind is damaged as well it may take a restoration or some other high healing to return it to it's proper set, but if need be I do have a wand for healing small wounds that i can use so as not to expend any of our more powerful magiks."

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-29, 12:26 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Looking over at the twisted creature, he sighs, shaking his head.*
"I don't know that any of us have enough to heal her mind. If we camped here, I could do my best to heal her body, but I'm not sure what that would accomplish."
*Looking around at the effect the healing has been having, he tilts his head a bit and thinks.*
"Perhaps... perhaps it would help..."
*Moving a bit closer, he looks at the green and seemingly growing parts before turning back to his companions.*
"I beleive I can fix this, given a bit of time. Is anyone opposed to setting up camp here? I know we're a ways away from the Mournland proper, but I don't think it's going anywhere..."

Sallera
2010-10-29, 01:03 PM
Lyth has her book out by now, and is making notes on the apparent effects of the healing magic. "Cleansing of corruption with positive energy... suggests a strong negative energy influence in the creation of the Mournland... knew that already, really, but it's not animating energy if this is still healing her... still outside the border, so can't attribute it to the odd reported effects on such spells..."

She walks over, laying a healing hand on Artuan's knee as she passes. She didn't want to inflict further damage on the dryad's mind, but this could be important. She watches the edge of the corruption on the ground closely as she channels another surge of energy into the wood. "I've never seen a genius loci with such a strong connection to the land. Healing the forest isn't even a conscious effort for her; I don't think it can be. If we can't restore this place immediately, I've no objection to a little further study."

[roll0] to Artuan, [roll1] to the dryad.

Tsumeken
2010-10-29, 02:37 PM
Yun nodded agreeing, "I have no objection to it, the more we know of this place before advancing th better, plus we could always claims rights to the knowledge of our venture and use it to make some coin among the learned and scholars back in civilization." She waited to what the others thought.

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-30, 11:57 AM
As you discuss this the Dryad has slowly been healing (and screaming in pain) resulting in the slow change in the forest around you. It is obvious that the state of the Dryad's health is directly linked to the forest, she is it's lifeblood and vice versa in a way. If there was no forest she would have nowhere to live and no reason to exist.

Throughout her healing she's let slip odd phrases and words, often just single syllables, that you cannot understand. Inbetween these more lucid moments she is still a tainted, infected Dryad, fighting for the forest she belives to be pure and free of disease. Get off me so I can heal my forest! she shouts, snarling at you. Small amounts of moss spit out of her mouth as she shouts into your face. You've noticed though that the black radius on the ground that she projected has faded, meaning it is no longer unsafe to stand near her.

To any who know Sylvan:
The strange phrases and words are indeed Sylvan. She lets slip words such as Growth, Sustenance, Hunger and Diseased. The longer phrases seem like the little philosphical phrases that a Dryad and similiar creature would use, such as "To grow is to know" and "From the ground I sprung, to the ground I will fall"

As the positive energy has slowly suffused her being, all noticeable taint and corruption has been purged. She appears to be a healthy Dryad and the large gashes left by Krieg have begun to knit back together, naturally and with the help of the healing magic. Tiny, reaching fibres of wood grasp eachother in the middle and pull on eachother, closing the wound.

The dark, diseased bark has been fading slowly around her body, finalising in a thick black ring around her neck 4 inches thick. The Dryad's head then lolls back and she retches up the remains of the contagion in one horrifyingly quick motion, like a maggot forcing it's way through flesh only sped up. Out of her facial orrifices pours a vile black liquid, spraying out in a fountain of vile ichor.

Roll reflex to avoid the liquidated Mournland :smallamused:

Tsumeken
2010-10-30, 12:29 PM
Eww Liquid Evilness, oh well maybe she'll be more aggreable after this.

Yun jumps back (or at least tries to) to avoid the ichor spewed forth by the Fey.

REf save
[roll0]

((I have no idea how to feel about that roll.))

DueceEsMachine
2010-10-30, 01:33 PM
Pollux Cannith

Reflex Save
[roll0]

*At the twisted liquid spews forth, Pollux tries to leap backwards, his arms flailing a bit in his rush. Unfortunately, he hadn't been paying quite enough attention to his footing, and the next thing he knows, he's laying on his back, still scrambing away, hoping to avoid contact with the unknown substance.*

Sallera
2010-10-30, 01:34 PM
Lyth, thankful that her notebook is safely inside her vest, backpedals swiftly to avoid the incoming corruption, although not swiftly enough. As soon as it's done, however, she washes out the last bit of ink in the vial she'd been using and collects a small sample of the ichor for later study, removing what she can from her skin and clothing.

Don't forget your +3 from Conviction.

Reflex: [roll0]

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-30, 01:55 PM
Well remembered Sallera, people may need it. I hope your fort saves are looking good for those that might fail this...Lyth d'Cannith being high on that list. :smallwink:

Sallera
2010-10-30, 01:57 PM
Luckily, Fort is her best save. Not that that will help if I nat-1 it again. Also, Lyth is a Sivis, not a Cannith. :smalltongue:

Fort: [roll0]

FuryOfMetal
2010-10-30, 02:35 PM
Woops, of course she is. My bad.

FuryOfMetal
2010-11-02, 07:09 AM
Sorry Sir and Tek, I'm gonna roll yours just to keep this moving.

Krieg reflex [roll0]
Artuan reflex [roll1]

Both Krieg and Pollux manage to dodge their way out of the fountain of black ichor. Pollux barely scrambles out, having fallen over. However Yun, Lyth and Artuan all come into contact with the thick liquid. You can feel it clawing at you, like a foul presence hides within the oily blackness. It tries to eat into your skin and infect you.

Tsumeken, Sallera and Sir roll fortitude please :smallsmile:

Sallera
2010-11-02, 10:42 AM
Rolled that above; do I need another one? [roll0], if so.

FuryOfMetal
2010-11-02, 11:07 AM
Damnit I miss obvious things. You pass with your original role...barely.

Tsumeken
2010-11-02, 12:33 PM
(Well that sucks)
[roll0]

Yun resists a scream as the black ichor lands on her and is now desperately trying to wipe it off herself.

FuryOfMetal
2010-11-02, 02:22 PM
Ooh it's tense :smallwink:

TekHed
2010-11-03, 03:38 AM
"Gah!" Krieg leaps back, avoiding the ebon ichor by a wide margin. Several of the others were not quite so lucky.

"Gods, that smells awful! What is it Lyth?"

Sallera
2010-11-03, 11:34 AM
"I'm not entirely sure," replies Lyth, corking the vial of ichor and snapping off a low-hanging branch to wipe the rest of it off her. She tilts the vial back and forth, watching the contents intently. "Some sort of manifest corruption? Possibly a possessing entity... no, it seems inert. It almost seems to be a concentrated form of whatever affliction lay upon this place."

Knowledge: Arcana: [roll0]

Sir
2010-11-03, 02:25 PM
Artuan, briefly happy that the Driad was able to be cleansed with holy magic, was not expecting the liquid, and clumsily lurches backwards, but not fast enough. As the evil spreads over him, he prays that his god will protect him from the corruption, clutching his holy symbol in one hand.

Fort Save: [roll0]

FuryOfMetal
2010-11-03, 03:00 PM
Well I don't think you could've failed with a save bonus that high. :smalltongue: We're just waiting on Deuce right now.

Studying the liquid within, you come to the conclusion that it is most likely a physical representation of the taint within her body. It has manifested as an insidious poison of sorts.

FuryOfMetal
2010-11-05, 06:03 PM
Sorry I thought we were waiting on a final fort save but we weren't, sorry to keep everybody. Sorry Deuce.

Luckily those that were splashed by her vile poison manage to stave of it's effects. With the aid of Lyth's magicks nobody lets the poison permeate their skin. Lyth's conviction acts as a sort of barrier, creating a thin veil of light over your open skin that blocks the toxin.

Recovering from the sudden danger after the storm, you all recollect yourselves and look around. The spirit of the forest has slowly fallen backwards, arms stretched out forming the cruciform. As she lets out 1 final exhalation of breath, air rushing out of her lungs, the ground begins to absorb her. The earth she so easily travelled though now softens around her, taking her into it's cold stony grasp. Once the last of her fades into the ground, a growing wave of energy passes through the trees and foliage around you. It seems the forest is finally healing . Ironically it took the death of the forests greatest protector to finally cure it, if only she could've seen it.

Out of the path infront of you grows a small saproling, greean and lucious. It seems that from her dead, now pure form, she still had enough love to create new life. Her final gift to the forest she cared for so much.Whilst there are no animals left within it's borders, it is safe to assume that over time they will return and repopulate the trees and groves of the forest.

Ahead of you, shafts of light have begun to push through the trees overhead. At last the light has pushed into the forest again.

Sallera
2010-11-05, 06:43 PM
Lyth approaches the sapling, plucking three leaves and slipping them between the pages of her notebook. "I see... I think her connection was too strong. With all that extra energy, she simply returned to the land she once parted from, as soon as it was whole enough to accept her." She glances back down the trail. "It will be interesting, I think, to see what happens to Vathirond now that there is a healthy barrier between the city and the mists. But that could take months or years to show anything of note. We should move on, I think, if we still want to reach the border tonight."

Sir
2010-11-07, 01:34 AM
Artuan's face stays neutral as he bends down to the sapling, looking over it for a moment before standing. "I too agree we should keep moving, we have much ground to cover. All I know about this forest is we did a good thing, which at the least is good omen for out journey. Still, we must cover allot of ground before we are done, so we should start out immediately."

DueceEsMachine
2010-11-07, 11:45 AM
Pollux Cannith

*Picking himself up from the ground and removing the dirt from his clothes with a couple of harsh swats, he smiles as the tension of the situation passes and the natural state of the forest starts to reassert itself.*

"I agree, we need to move on. We've done what we can I think, from here, the forest will have to tend for itself."
*Walking by the sapling slowly, he brushes his hand along the bark and smiles, whispering a short prayer as he goes.*

OOC:

Alright, I apologize for my absence. I ended up having to put in 30 some hours at work in this state, and that was a blast - hooray! I'm on the mend though, so all should be well. Thank you guys for your patience.

Tsumeken
2010-11-07, 02:29 PM
Yun Rejoins the group after smiling and wiping the ichor from herself. "It is indeed a good omen for us, I have no qualms of forging ahead as I still have spells to spare." She hoped that whatever they met with next was les hostile then this had been.

FuryOfMetal
2010-11-07, 04:15 PM
Moving along from here you begin to travel through the forest again. The mood is no longer oppresive, forcing the trees against you. The air is light and airy (suprisingly) instead of musty and heavy. There are no animals, no chirping birds or burrowing mammals as they were all killed off, but the plant life is returning slowly. Insead of the sounds of animals there is the slight rustling of leaves through the trees and the ground, creating miniature tornados.

Ahead of you, the trees have slowly begun thinning out. There is no light at the end of the tunnel though, just a pervading sense of unease. All this time frolicking in the woods today could've pushed the matter of the Mournland out of your mind. But now that you approach it it comes rushing back to the forefront of your mind. What is there to expect?

You've now entered an area that serves as a transmission between the woods of Vathirond and the Mournland. Yes there are trees everywhere, but they're very wide spread with many clearings. Ahead of you lies the greying mass of the Mournland, behind you seems like the happiest place you could be right now. Here seems to be the best place to camp that you'll find.

Welcome to camp. Feel free to make any spell changes for the morning and do any roleplaying and discussion. If you prepare any different spells please give me a heads up.

Sallera
2010-11-07, 07:11 PM
"Good, this will do." Setting down her pack, Lyth raises a hand outward and turns a full circle, and a faint blue mist shimmers outward over travelers and campsite alike. She holds the position for a few minutes, eyes closed in concentration, and the grime of travel and residual ichor from the dryad slowly fades away. When the mist clears, not only does everyone look no different than they did when they got off the train, but the land where the mist lay has been put into a strange sort of order, with leaves evenly spread underfoot, fallen twigs forming perfect lattices and pebbles neatly sorted by size and tucked away under tree roots.

Opening her eyes, Lyth takes her notebook and the vial of ichor, then starts for the border. "I've a few things I'd like to take a look at before dark. I'll be back in a few minutes."

The edge of the mist is not a border to be crossed alone and at dusk, but she has no need to do so. Preparing a blank page, she advances to the edge and looks along the border, the eddies in the world's magical energies making themselves known to her. Noting down the aspects of the ambient magic on both the inside and outside of the border, she holds up the vial of liquid in front of each, checking its aura for similarities. Finally, simply because she has the opportunity, she scans the leaves from the dryad's tree with the last of the spell, looking for any residual energies.

I started thinking about what would happen if you applied Prestidigitation's 'clean' function to a forest floor... figured the resulting image was worth playing with. ^^;;

Anyway, Lyth is using Detect Magic to analyze the ambient magic on both sides of the border, the vial, and the leaves. Especially checking for similarities between the mist and the contents of the vial.
Spellcraft for the mist: [roll0]
And outside: [roll1]
The vial: [roll2]
And the leaves: [roll3]
And Knowledge: Arcana for any conclusions she can draw from all this: [roll4]

Edit: Oh, and swapping Sign for Hide from Undead and a Hold Person for Lesser Restoration, for my prepared spells.

FuryOfMetal
2010-11-07, 09:05 PM
As you leave camp and advance towards the border you are met with a thick wall of fog. You still retain full visibility whilst looking through it, though it seems to drain all colour and feeling from the air and land.

Spellweavers such as yourself grow accustomed to the feelings of magic throughout their lives and may easily pick up on the latent vibrations of magical power on the air. Never has that been more apparent than here. The mist tugs at your magical sense harshly, like being in the presence of a continual magical effect such as a circle of protection. However there is no continuous magic here, who would maintain it after all? Instead the air itself thrums with magic. All the while you can hear it scratching and swarming at you, the tingling in the air grating against the back of your mind.

From your experiments you deduce the following:
The mist so much a magical effect, just constant magic. It's always there. It doesn't really alter or shift, as it's all diffused to an equal density since Cyre fell. You can feel the definite after effects of negative energy. The explosion of energy mus have been monumentally intense for it's effects to be felt so long after the incident.

Outside of the mist feels exactly the same as the forest that you just left. That is to say, the forest during it's healing process. It's still improving every minute, getting stronger, though it doesn't alarm your sense or grab your attention.

The vial of liquid gunk is a liquid interpretation of the mist that lays ahead of you. Over time the Mournland infected the nymph, building up in her system until it was so dense it liquified. As it is, it's a potent poison that can damage the health of those it touches. The DMG has a poison with the same DC and similiar effects to what i conjured up, Sassone Leaf Residue.
DC16 contact poison, 2d12 hp damage immediate damage, 1d6 con secondary damage. You managed to collect enough for 2 doses.

The 3 leaves are interesting, they seem to hold a small amount of the purity and resilience that the nymph had before she was tainted. They impart to you a measure of the resilience of nature. Each of the leaves grants an untyped +1 bonus to saves to those who carry one.

The conclusions you draw, other than what I've already told you is that the nature and effects of the Mournland will take some getting used to. Oh and that the Mournland won't be fun.

Sallera
2010-11-08, 02:23 AM
Closing her book, Lyth tucks one of the leaves into an inside pocket of her vest, then returns to the camp, laying the other two on a flat stone near the others. "These, it seems, will serve as minor protective charms. I'll let you decide who carries them. The liquid appears to be a concentrated form of the Mournland's mists - a potent poison, in its way, but likely much more useful for further research." Laying out her bedroll, she removes her boots, sitting cross-legged and taking out pen and ink again. She silently runs over the events of the day in her mind, neatly noting any previously unmarked details and possible connections as a guide to future study.

Tsumeken
2010-11-08, 02:40 AM
Yun stays in camp watching the others before heading off to rest herself to regain her lost spells. She told the others good night before heading off.

DueceEsMachine
2010-11-09, 03:48 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Pollux sits quietly for a while, removing his violin from it's protective case while Lyth moves off to study the mist for a while. With the utmost care, he plucks each string, tuning it gently by ear, and making sure the body is well cleaned, the bow rosined and all care taken to maintain it. Once this is all done, he sits quietly, cradling it in his lap, running a finger along the neck absently until Lyth returns.*

"Not much to learn out there - though I'd be careful wandering so close to the mist alone. There's been more than one report of foul creatures using it as a hunting ground."
*As she sets the leaf on the stone, Pollux plucks it up and shrugs, turning it over.*
"Very interesting, though I'm sure someone else could get more use out of it than myself. Did you notice anything else while observing?"

Sallera
2010-11-09, 04:21 PM
Lyth shrugs, gesturing vaguely with the silver-tipped quill. "Nothing that's yet of note. Just getting a sense of the place. And I wanted to confirm the source of that corruption."

TekHed
2010-11-11, 01:51 AM
I probably would have had Krioeg follow Lyth but I was away and missed it. Oh well.

Kreig had been sitting seiza, knees folded underneath, feet flexed and resting on the balls of his feet, sword at his side, meditating.

He opened first one eye, peering at Pollux, and then the other and turned to look at Lyth.

"How come the mist stops right at the border of Cyre, yet the effects of the Mournland bleed into the forest?"

Sallera
2010-11-11, 02:20 AM
"Hmm..." Lyth taps the feathered end of the quill against the edge of the book, considering. "It would be easier to say if I had gotten a look at the border before we cleansed the forest. But at the moment, the corruption does stop at the border, and right outside feels the same as the forest - it's even still improving. If I had to guess, I'd say the genius loci entered the Mournland at some point. Due to her spiritual nature, she respired some of the negative energy, established a link, so that after she left, it was able to continue affecting her. And of course, given the strength of her connection, the whole forest took on the Mournland's aspect."

She dips her quill in the vial of ink again, making a note of the theory. "All speculation, of course, and unlikely to be proven any time soon, but it's the best explanation I can come up with at the moment."

DueceEsMachine
2010-11-11, 01:09 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Pollux listens for a moment and nods, still holding his violin, though it seems as much to comfort himself as to keep the instrument safe.*
"I'd wager that's a pretty safe bet. As far as anyone can tell, the mist spread to the edge of Cyre, and stopped. Strangely enough, it did the same at the water-line of the ocean as well."
*Reaching over to gently rub a finger over a green sprout, smiles a little.*
"I wonder what effect all of this would have had on the marina life, if it had such a profoud influence on this place..."
"In retrospect, we were quite lucky - this could have been as bad or worse than the Kraken Bay, so I for one count my blessings this day."

TekHed
2010-11-14, 10:41 PM
"Hmph." the giant mechanical man grunts.

"Suppose I'll be taking first watch then." he adds with a sardonic grin. "I'd still recommend the non-spellcasters also rotate watch with me through the night..." he pauses a moment.

"Or do all of you cast spells?"
ooc:
Speaking of spells and such I'm surprised no one has commented on Krieg's sudden display of power while fighting the Dryad. It's almost like he isn't really a warforged at all, or some evolution of them.

Sallera
2010-11-14, 11:17 PM
"I do, but I also need little sleep, so I can watch for most of the night." Lyth glances up again, noting the unclaimed tokens with a sigh.

"Are any of you going to take those? They shouldn't interfere with any of your own magic."

DueceEsMachine
2010-11-15, 10:36 AM
Pollux Cannith

*Looking down to the leaves, Pollux shrugs and picks one up.*
"Well, I didn't want to take one if someone else was going to, but I'll do my part if no one else wants one."
*Looking over to Krieg, he shrugs.*
"I... uh. Well, I don't think I really need a lot of sleep, but last watch would be great, since that would give me a chance to say my prayers as well, as long as that is agreeable."
"Listen, I'm sure you hear this all of the time, but.... what exactly is your story? I mean, you're obviously not standard production warforged, do you know anything more about who made you, or to what purpose?"

TekHed
2010-11-16, 10:26 PM
Krieg picked up one of the leaves looking at it disdainfully.

"Well if you really think it's special. Looks like just another leaf to me." He tucks it into one of the compartments in his midsection.

While taking last watch, Pollux pipes up and poses a question towards the Ronin.

"Quite right I'm no run-of-the-mill 'Forged! I may be Ronin now but I was a Captain! Captain Krieg of the Brelish 41st Special Infantry Vanguard Battalion. Yes sir...those were the days in the Last War. Blitzing behind enely lines, taking down Titans and other imbecellic war-machines, and the occasionaly targets of opportunity. We were secret mind you, so we never got any glory in our day, but that didn't matter so much as a job well done..."

"What about you? I doubt you've come all this way just to be the fiddler in the mists. And don't say you're here for the money. Lots of ways to make a pretty piece of coin with half the danger of traipsing back into sod-forsaken Cyre..."

DueceEsMachine
2010-11-17, 12:48 AM
Pollux Cannith

*Listening, Pollux starts a fire with a bit of the remaining wood. Mornings were always the coldest. At least the others would have something to take the bite out of the air.*

"Me? No, not here for the money. I could get plenty of that from the House, though I'm no marked man, unfortunately. No, I'm from Whitehearth. Well, I was before all of this."
*He makes a vague gesture towards the wall of mist that still looms, glowing eerily in the distance.*

"I stayed out of the war - I was never quite what was needed, and so I spent my days learning more... artful skills. I was in Seaside when all of this happened, so I'm going as much for answers as to face my own fears."
*Looking off into the mist, his eyes go a bit distant as he remembers, as unwanted as it may be.*
"This forest, what happened here - it's terrible, but inside that mist is another world entirely. This pales in comparison to what we're going to see."

FuryOfMetal
2010-11-17, 05:58 AM
Pollux's words seem like some cruel prophecy as you stand near the edge of the mists. As you all rouse from your sleep and pack up your belongings a foul wind surges through your camp, bringing with it the scent of decaying meat. It is as though a collossal beast is breathing down your necks, staring back at you when you gave at the mists.

As you head and approach the mists you begin to feel it's presence tugging at you. It toys with you emotions and feelings, playing with you. Whether this is the Mournland or just your fears playing on your mind remains to be seen. The mist lays ahead of you, sometimes still like mist over water and sometimes it is a roiling gaseous monstrocity.

You reach the edge of the mist, where Lyth visited last night. It has changed colour slightly from pale, milky green to a very faint violet. Like a bruise on the landscape.

Once you step inside the strange ehaling amgic effects will be in place for everything apart from wands as they were made outside of it's influence....though they may succumb to the Mournland's power over time :smalleek:

DueceEsMachine
2010-11-17, 10:42 AM
Pollux Cannith

*With a shudder, Pollux, rubs nervously at the back of his neck, looking around just to be certain.*
"I'd ask if anyone else felt like they were suddenly being watched, but not much point to it. I've always thought that there was far more... malevolence in the mist than what there should be."

*looking around, he picks up a large stick, and holds it up.*
"Last time, we used one of these to make a line in the dirt behind us so we could tell if we were crossing our path and had gotten turned around. It happens quite easily in the Mists, so I suggest we try to make it through as quickly as we can."

Sir
2010-11-17, 10:52 AM
I'll assume we waited an hour for prayers before moving out, since I now realize three out of five of the party members need to pray. If so, I will prepare the same spells as on my character sheet, which for reference is:

1st level Paladin spells:
Protection from Evil
Cure Light Wounds
Bless
Lesser Restoration

2nd level Paladin spells:
Zone Truth
Eagle Splendor
Bulls Strength
Resist Energy
Flame of Faith (SC)
Shield Other

3rd Level Paladin Spells:
Cure Moderate Wounds
Daylight

Artuan walked to edge of the mist, as silent as he had been all night, and waved his hand through a tendril of it, watching it cascade back into itself. "This place is as bad as any along the border, at least from what I have heard. I suggest we get ready to handle whatever is on the other side, mentally and physically, now before we go in, because after we enter turning back isn't an option. Also, I should really feel excited to venture into this place but... gah, for the heat of The Flame lets get this over with" He then draws his sword, staring down the mists for a moment, seeing if he can pierce them with his glare.

Sallera
2010-11-17, 11:49 AM
Lyth snorts, fiddling with the laces of her boots. "I think you're underestimating the scale of this place if you think haste will help us. This is a former country, after all. We've a long way to go." With a sharp nod, she rises and steps across the border. "The first station was almost straight east of here, as I recall; I suppose we should try to pick up the trail of conductor stones if they're still around."

DueceEsMachine
2010-11-17, 02:36 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Looking over to Lyth, he shrugs.*
"It won't get us through Cyre, no, but it may get us through the border-wall of the mist. I've heard that it can be as thin as a couple miles in some places. Maybe we'll get lucky."

"The conductor stones would be a good place to start, but... who's going to take point? Artuan? Krieg? I'm guessing it's going to be on of you. My vote is for Krieg - he's going to be easier to fix up here than any of the rest of us."

Sir
2010-11-18, 04:35 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Looking over to Lyth, he shrugs.*
"It won't get us through Cyre, no, but it may get us through the border-wall of the mist. I've heard that it can be as thin as a couple miles in some places. Maybe we'll get lucky."

"The conductor stones would be a good place to start, but... who's going to take point? Artuan? Krieg? I'm guessing it's going to be on of you. My vote is for Krieg - he's going to be easier to fix up here than any of the rest of us."

Artuan shrugs, shaking his head. "Haste may not let us succeed on its own, but the less time we spend in and near this place, the better. I agree though, we should go and try to recover some of the stones, maybe one of the other groups has started already on them, but I doubt it. "

He then turned to Pollux, patting him on the back with a grin before speaking. "If you wish for him to take the lead, go ahead, since that is a valid point. I'll stay in the back, to make sure nothing nasty comes from behind to surprise you, since you are more.. vulnerable than most."

DueceEsMachine
2010-11-18, 05:54 PM
Pollux Cannith

*With a sigh, Pollux nods.*
"Yes, yes. I know. I'm not made of glass though, so please don't treat me like something breakable, alright? I mean, I appreciate it, but I'll pull my own weight."

*It was times like this that Pollux cursed inwardly. Some men were blessed with strength of arm, tough as nails and as fast as a viper. For whatever reason he didn't have any of these, and how much easier they would make all of this. Then again. Nothing worth doing was ever easy, that was what the Baron would say.*
"I'm sorry, thank you, Artuan. No man can stand alone in this place. To do so is almost surely a death sentence."

Sallera
2010-11-18, 06:03 PM
Lyth shakes her head, beckoning the others forward with a half-wave. "We don't want to collect the stones; Orien wants to re-open the rail, so we need to leave them in place. I just want to follow what we can of the old route to lead us to the station. I may not be here out of any particular interest in the rail, but there's no sense in wandering around aimlessly. We'll find things of interest soon enough by the original route, if they don't find us first."

Sir
2010-11-18, 07:13 PM
Lyth shakes her head, beckoning the others forward with a half-wave. "We don't want to collect the stones; Orien wants to re-open the rail, so we need to leave them in place. I just want to follow what we can of the old route to lead us to the station. I may not be here out of any particular interest in the rail, but there's no sense in wandering around aimlessly. We'll find things of interest soon enough by the original route, if they don't find us first."

"Ah, I meant recover the broken ones. I am sure that more than a few of those conductor stones were broken in the blast on the day of mourning, or atleast moved out of the way." He then turned to Pollux, frowning for moment at his answer before replying. "No, I didn't mean to say that. I was talking to the rest also, not to say you specifically are weak. No matter.. Kreig, when you are ready, lead the way."

Tsumeken
2010-11-18, 10:24 PM
Yun was hoping today would be smoother then yesterday, no evil bunny creatures or black spewing wood spirits, She packed her things away leaving the music box for last to listen to it's tune one more time before heading out. She would keep to near the back of the group when they continued, keeping her eyes open for anything out o f the ordinary.

DueceEsMachine
2010-11-19, 06:54 PM
Pollux Cannith

*As the group sets out, Pollux takes a minute to get his bearings, using the map that was given them. He closes his eyes and concentrates for a moment before pointing off in one direction.*

"Alright - I'm fairly certain that way will be be the best way to head. The old rail line took a slow turn around some hills if I remember correctly. I'm not sure how close we'll have to get with the visibility the way it is, but I should be able to keep us on track. Just keep your eyes out for any pyramid - shaped stones, and we should be able to find our way."

*Tucking the map back into the sealed tube he carries, he deposits it in his bag and smiles.*
"I knew I should have spent more time travelling with that cartographer. She said I had a knack for it, but even I can only put up with only so much crazy before I have to move along."

TekHed
2010-11-21, 04:26 AM
"Right then."

Krieg picks up his mighty blade and with little fanfare sets off into the mist in the direction Pollux indicated.

FuryOfMetal
2010-11-21, 05:46 PM
Turen is right, after travelling for about 45 minutes north you spy a few of the conductor stones. There are roughly 20 strewn around the vicinity and they form a rough line heading east. Each stone is about 3 feet in diameter and deep blue, shining with a faint inner light. Most of the stones shine with a pale blue light, but some have turned a sickly purple very simliar to that of the mists when viewed from the outside. If you try to move the stones you find that they are remarkably lightweight for something apparently made of stone their size.

If you were to try and move them closer to eachother you find that they repel eachother like magnets, not even Krieg nor Artuan can force them to be within 5 feet of eachother.

Krieg:
As you near the stones you feel a strange sensation run through your crystal core. It is being repeled slightly by the stones and if there are any holes to view your crystal through your armor you would see the crystals colours swirling around awkwardly, especially on the sides nearest to the conductor stones. This repulsion doesn't affect your strength at all whilst near the stones and it's not noticeable to others, just you have to try that tiny bit more when moving around the stones.

Sallera
2010-11-21, 05:53 PM
"Good. These should serve." Lyth glances down both directions of the old line, making a brief note of the frequency of the ones that have succumbed to the corruption; it might serve as a good indicator of the energy's relative strength in a given area.

"We should follow the line for now, I think. We're unlikely to find much of interest this close to the edge."

TekHed
2010-11-21, 08:44 PM
Just his eyes.

"This place makes my insides feel funny." Krieg remarks.

Sallera
2010-11-22, 12:02 AM
Lyth raises an eyebrow, perhaps at Krieg's choice of words. "The presence of the conductor stones? Hmm, perhaps they are interacting with some of your components. You did manifest a power similar to the rail's levitation yesterday, yes? It may function by means of a similar principle, in which case you would feel the natural repulsion from the other stones."

She shrugs, gesturing to his feet. "Do you perform your own maintenance? I'm no artificer, but it might be possible to realign something to equalize the direction of the force. If not, we can always stay a short distance away from the line if it will impair your performance."

Tsumeken
2010-11-22, 12:10 AM
Yun moves towards the stones, but not to close to them, as she tries to study the stones themselves. Trying to get a feel for what kind of magic these stones are or used to be radiating.

Spellcraft [roll0]
Knowledge Arcana [roll1]

DueceEsMachine
2010-11-22, 12:37 AM
Pollux Cannith

*Watching the others for a while as they move the conductor stones around, he frowns, keeping his eyes moving, watching for anything that could be trouble.*
"While I appreciate scientific research as much as the next man, it might do us some good to have someone with keener eyes than myself help keep watch. Just puttting that out there."

*Scanning the line of stones they can see, he shrugs, looking over to Lyth.*
"As long as we're taking notes, we should probably keep count of the stones as well - how many are good, how many bad, and in what order. I'm positive someone would find that bit of information worth out time, since they're going to know how many stones need repair."

Sallera
2010-11-22, 12:50 AM
Lyth frowns, scanning the stones again. "I'd run out of ink before we were halfway to the first station. And I'd rather be on watch for more important things. I can record simple totals, though, if you want to do the counting."

DueceEsMachine
2010-11-22, 12:56 AM
Pollux Cannith

*His eyebrows going high, he laughs with a nod.*
"You? run out of ink? I never thought I'd see the day. I've got some extra here - as long as I'm counting, I'll keep track as best I can."

Sir
2010-11-23, 01:50 PM
Artuan cautiously moves to one of the corrupted stones, and taps it with his sword. "If you are interested in research of the rail, we should probably take some of these corrupted stones back to Orien for study with better tools. But no need to carry them across the country, I have faith there will be more near the other end. I wonder though... We should probably keep a safe distance from these in the night when we camp, they most likely attract all sorts of dangerous monsters with their light alone, much less any lingering magic.

At any rate, we should move along these to the east, which will obviously lead us to the station I hope. There, I am sure we can find some documents or tools of interest. "

FuryOfMetal
2010-11-23, 05:17 PM
Seizing on this oppurtunity, your group begins trecking east. You actually travel for the whole day without any hostile interruptions. You do spot creatures and shapes in the distance, shrouded by the mist. They either don't spot you or choose to ignore you. As you travel you all feel strange twitches in your body and niggling sensations. None really affect you or are noticeable to others, but you are distinctly aware of their presence after a few hours.

None are so acute as yours, Krieg. All the while you follow the stones you feel a churning of your energy and driving force. It could be likened to a stomach ache of the fleshies, only that it cuts right to the core of you.

Lyth, you occasionally notice your hands moving as thought they are writing. Your fingers will sometimes move themselves to support an imaginary quill and your forefinger and thumb will sometimes write out words and letters in a language you don't understand. You can mostly keep this in check though.

Yun, there is a familiar tune playing through your head that you can't quite pinpoint but you may find yourself humming it compulsively. It warms your heart but at the same time chills your soul.

For the moment Pollux and Artuan, you are lucky enough to not feel any adverse effects of the Mournland.

After travelling for what you all agree to be about 12 hours unmolested, thoughts turn to making camp. The only nearby structure is a collapsing ruin of a cottage. It's walls are grey cobblestone and flint with a single window on the front wall. The front wall is the most intact, with it's empty doorframe probably supporting alot of the weight. The other walls are of varying heights as they've begun to tumble and collapse over time. All that remains of the roof are the skeleton rib cage of rafters, blackened from an apparent fire. Inside the cottage, all that remains are wooden planks, splintered and broken and a single oaken table that has survived the carnage around it.

Can everybody make a spot check in the backround of everything else you do in your next post please.

Tsumeken, your arcana roll tells you that these stones were created using abjuration magic, creating forcefields of magneticism centred around a crystalline or metal core.

Sallera
2010-11-23, 09:11 PM
After the first few times a passing spectre takes control of Lyth's hand, she takes to walking with her book open and quill resting lightly on the page, while paying as little attention as she can to her hands. The words may not be in any language she knows, but that would be but a small barrier once she had time to examine them properly.

She frowns as they reach the cottage, keeping a distance from it. "That looks like an ideal place for something small and annoying to hide. Yours to be sure of, Krieg, fleshless as you are. Provided, of course, that anyone actually wants to sleep there."

Tsumeken
2010-11-23, 10:42 PM
It was so annoying, she knew she had heard the tune but form where? She pause a moment going through her backpack to find the music box before trying to catch up with the group. Continuing at the pace they were proceeding at she gingerly opened the box to let the melody escape and fill the air. She kept the notes in mind as she tried to compare them to the ones in her head.

FuryOfMetal
2010-11-24, 11:37 AM
Lyth
From outside you cannot see anything other than the walls, the roof struts and the table as the front door is missing. Good idea writing down those words though, I'll build on that.

Yun
Some of the melodies match between the tune in your head and of the box. They are definitely similiar, though you don't know what either song is. What you do know is that the song in the box soothes your fears whereas the tune in your head amplifies them.

TekHed
2010-11-24, 10:44 PM
Krieg kicks at one corner of a wall.

"Doesn't look sturdy. Wouldn't risk it if I were a squishy. Can hardly be called shelter anyways. We'll be more defensible if we make camp out in the open anyways." Krieg adds, looking around for a hill or other elevated position.

Don't you mean Perception check? :smallwink: [roll0]

Haha! Again! I formally request switching to Invisible Castle...

Tsumeken
2010-11-25, 12:58 AM
Yun closes the music box, her mind had been on much the past few moments but now she was slapped back to reality. "I'm sorry if I missed anything important, my head has been in a fog as of late... Are we camping again? Or are we continuing on for now? She decided that she would wait til later to tell the others about the music, if anything maybe it was some hidden message to what was going on in the area.

((Checks made in OOC))

DueceEsMachine
2010-11-25, 09:51 AM
Pollux Cannith

*Looking over at the structure, Pollux tries to remember ever coming across anything similar on their flight through the hellish nightmare that was the Mournland the first time. It was hard, since the lack of sleep and supplies made the trek a difficult one to remember.*

*Dismounting a little ways away from the building, he rubs his mounts cheecks reassuringly before taking a long look around. Something like this - it was an easy landmark, and people trying to find thier way wouldn't be the only ones trying to use it.*

"I think as long as we're on gaurd, we might be alright for the night, though more than that doesn't feel right."

Alright, Perception check - [roll0]

Also, an intelligence check to see if he remembers anything like this :
[roll1]

And hey, how about a knowldedge - nature to see if there are any specific critters he knows of that would love to use something like this for a hunting grounds.
[roll2]

Edit: wow. the one I have the worst check in, I roll the highest. Nice.

FuryOfMetal
2010-11-26, 01:56 PM
Yes I did mean Perception, forgot I actively tried to help you all out. Must be the Mournland playing with my mind....

Deuce your intelligence check was a good idea. Consulting the map and your previous knowledge of Cyre only lets you know you're about 8 hours travel from the station/village tomorrow. This isn't on the map, it's likely just a small homestead someone had away from all the hustle and bustle.

Perceptions bring up nothing save from the variety of pretty colours of mold, moss and mildew between the bricks.

Sir
2010-11-26, 02:04 PM
Artuan assess the cabin, looking over the structure with doubt. "Hmm.. I don't think its quite safe, but its probably safer than sleeping outside, as there is the chance that wandering fiends won't bother to look inside. I vote we sleep in there, but keep a good watch on the inside, and outside."

Sallera
2010-11-26, 02:43 PM
"Unless our watchers were very well hidden, we'd be less conspicuous in the open, especially if we can find a depression of some sort. A building in the middle of nowhere attracts attention - we noticed it, after all. And it's falling apart; it could as easily be knocked down on top of us as serve in any defensive capability." Lyth sighs irritatedly, fingers dancing of their own accord. "But you may as well take a look inside. Even if we leave, it will be good to know nothing is watching us as we do so."

DueceEsMachine
2010-11-26, 03:10 PM
Pollux Cannith

*With a shrug, Pollux throws the reigns over his mounts neck, feeding it a small sugar cube from his pocket before he starts towards the structure.*

"Well, if we're going to check it out, we may as well. We can figure out then if it's sound or not. The good news is, We're less than a days ride from the first rail stop."

*He looks down at the map and around a couple times to double check his bearings and nods, satisfied as he points in the direction the station will lay.*
"Yes, it should still be there if we keep that bearing. Of course, there's always the option of just following the stones, but I think it's nice to have an idea of where we're at."

*Scrutinizing the building as he moves closer, he tries to get a feeling of the integrity as he's still a good distance away. Maybe they'd get lucky and it would be stronger than it looks. Yeah, and maybe pigs would fly by singing..... Well. Anything was possible in this twisted place.*

Alright, well, I don't have a knowledge - engineering, but maybe an intelligence check will suffice.
[roll0]

DueceEsMachine
2010-12-02, 08:33 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Moving forward into the building, Pollux gives it a quick inspection, and when the walls don't come crumbling down on top of him, he shrugs, moving out to the others, trying to keep the small map in his hand flat as a small breeze causes it to flap.*

"Well, it seems like this could be as good a place as any. I don't know if it ever rains here. Well, normal rain at least, but if it does we could use the structure to help stay dry.*
*Arching his head up towards the sky, he growls, irritated by the utter lack of stars or any indication of what weather system might be nearby.*
"Well, the other option is there."
*Pointing over to a rise in the distance, he shrugs*
"It's got good vantage for a ways, and is the higher ground, but we wouldn't be able to use a fire. Anyone have any votes?"

Sir
2010-12-03, 02:08 PM
"I say we rest in the hut, and keep a good watch. At the worst we are forced to fight a monster with at least some cover, and at best we have a rain free night." Artuan, not waiting for anyone else's answers, draws his sword and pushes the huts door open carefully to see if its safe, and steps inside.

Sallera
2010-12-03, 02:38 PM
Lyth raises an eyebrow. "Rain-free? It doesn't even have a roof left. You'd be better sheltered in a cave. If there's nothing hiding in there waiting to jump out at us, we may as well move to the high ground. In a place like this, we'd need two watchers just to keep half an eye out."

TekHed
2010-12-03, 04:13 PM
Krieg looms, peering over pollux's shoulder at the map. He points, indicating a spot.

"What about this natural cave here?"

Sallera
2010-12-12, 07:30 PM
"As long as it's not occupied. Let's just get moving; no point in staying here now that we know the place is empty." Lyth gestures vaguely. "You've got the map. Lead on."

DueceEsMachine
2010-12-12, 10:44 PM
Pollux Cannith

"Agreed - the cave is probably best, as long as it isn't occupied."
*Spurring his horse forward, he leads the way, hoping the map was at least semi-accurate.*

TekHed
2010-12-14, 06:35 PM
"Better take Point. Artuan, you're with me..."

Krieg sets of, leaving deep footprints in the soft topsoil.

Sir
2010-12-15, 01:17 PM
Artuan turns at the doorway, shrugs, and follows Krieg, carrying his sword at the ready. "Cave or Building, lets get to shelter soon, I want to get out of here as soon as possible.."

FuryOfMetal
2010-12-16, 05:52 PM
Leaving the house you head north-north-east the ground becomes more gravelly and stony as you progress. Travelling about an hour away from the house the ground begins to slope downwards and you begin to slip on the shingle. Krieg's bulky frame occasionally will sink down lower into the looser areas of stone and have to pull himself out. Ahead you see a very small hut, more of an outhouse really. The door is hanging on one hinge and falling apart. In the centre of the small shack is a wooden ladder, bound in iron for stability, that leads down into the earth.

The map just said cave :smallamused: This is just more interesting I guess, atleast in my opinion so go spelunking to celebrate Tek's new ventures.:smallbiggrin:

DueceEsMachine
2010-12-17, 01:52 PM
]Pollux Cannith

*As they approach the ramshackle building, Pollux sighs, shaking his head.*
"Of course. It couldn't have been a nice, wide open cave with no chance of being buried alive. Well, I suppose out of all of us, I have the least chance of getting stuck in any small crevasses. Well, almost."

*With a smile at Lyth, he dismounts, tying his mounts reigns to a small bush.*
"I don't know that we're going to be able to do much better than this. There isn't exactly a hitching post here."

Sallera
2010-12-17, 02:31 PM
Lyth snorts, heading for the ladder. "You've also got the greatest chance of falling unconscious at the first sign of something untoward, Cannith boy."

"This place should be simple enough to watch and guard. Let's make sure we're alone before we set up camp, though." A quartet of spinning violet lanterns materializes around her as she descends out of the light, illuminating the passageway below her.

FuryOfMetal
2010-12-17, 04:15 PM
As you enter you see a small cavern roughly 15 feet wide and 25 feet long. Around you are small piles of rubble that have been loosely thrown together and the walls of the cavern show signs of mining. Deep gouges into the rockface glisten back at you as liquid from some unknown source filters through the rocks. Set into the right hand wall is a small arch cut into the stone. Lyth, it's dimensions remind you of your home in Kouranburg. However for others, especially the bulky warriors, the passageway is a squeeze.

Medium creatures move at half speed in the corridor, other than that there are no negative aspects.

Sallera
2010-12-17, 04:27 PM
Lyth's lanterns dart down the tunnel to the end of their range before coming back and starting to fade. "Well, finding out what's down here might take a little time. Do any of you have a lantern or torch, or must I waste a sunrod?"

DueceEsMachine
2010-12-17, 06:26 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Reaching into his pack, Pollux retreives a torch, and hands it to Lyth with a smile.*
"See? I'm not completely useless. And I will have you know I have never fainted at merely the sight of something untoward."

*He sniffs and rubs at the back of his neck.*
"Now when that something starts hitting, I will admit unconciousness is a distinct, if undesireable possibility."

Sallera
2010-12-17, 06:36 PM
Retrieving flint and steel from a vest pocket, Lyth lights the torch as the violet lights wink out, and starts down the tunnel, slowing once she reaches the furthest spot she'd been able to see with the lanterns to give anyone following her a chance to catch up. "With luck, this won't turn into one of those ridiculous mazes some builders seem so fond of."

FuryOfMetal
2010-12-18, 04:00 PM
Once others catch up you progress down the small hallway, stepping over shallow puddles of water and faintly glowing lichen. The next room is a roughly cut circle interrupted by a large pile of rubble off to the left hand side. Leaning against it is a battered pickaxe with a worn handle.

There are 2 new openings leading off from this room. One is unfathomable, the torchlight casting deep shadows and is unable to penetrate to see the full extent of what lays beyond. The other is a wide but low gap in the rock face which appears to lead into a storeroom.

Perception checks if you may.

Sallera
2010-12-18, 09:02 PM
Lyth holds the torch higher, scanning the passageways. "Hm. Wonder what they mined down here?"

FuryOfMetal
2010-12-18, 09:35 PM
Nada on that check. And if anybody has knowledge...dungeoneering i guess would be closest, that could get some info.

DueceEsMachine
2010-12-19, 04:59 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Following Lyth down slowly, Pollux peers around cautiously, trying his best to stay quiet.*
*Hm. Well, Cyre did have a vast amount of resources in our hayday. It must have been something a bit more secretive. Iron mines would have been larger, and this is nowhere near the silver or mithril mines I know of. Besides, there would have been much more of a secure perimiter for something like that ."

*Running a hand along the stone he gives it a small taste, only to spit it out.*
"Blech. how can the dwarves stand that?"

Perception - [roll0]
Know-Nature - [roll1]
(hoping for some hint of composition from the stones or the formations)

Sallera
2010-12-19, 07:16 PM
"I suppose it could have been an illegal operation. Or just an exploration that never went very far." Lyth shrugs, checking the inside of the storeroom. "Doubt there's anything of use in here, but since we're down here anyway..."

Knowledge: Dungeoneering: [roll0]

FuryOfMetal
2010-12-20, 08:32 AM
Based upon your assessment of the walls and the equipment in the store room, you can see they're actually mining for the low to mid quality gems. This mine wouldn't be able to produce larger and more valuable pieces, especially not this close to the surface, you're only about 30ft below the ground. But then again the explosion of energy on the Day of Mourning could've fused some minerals together to create gems and such. There are a few loose gems of varying quality, the most common being very small shards of emerald and quartz. I'm trying to find the tables for gems to tell you what they'd sell for if that matters to you.

Sallera
2010-12-20, 11:53 AM
"Ah, I see." Lyth picks up a tiny shard of emerald, holding it out in the torchlight. "Not bad, I suppose. Unless these are just the leftover scraps, though, I don't see how they expected to meet expenses." Replacing the gem, she moves down to the other corridor. "Not too much more to check, I'd imagine."

DueceEsMachine
2010-12-20, 02:10 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Picking up the 'scrap' emerald that Lyth had replaced, he holds it up to inspect it.*
"Scraps or not, these could prove amazing valuabe in research. We'll have to gather as many samples as we can. If nothing else, we can consider it compensation for our efforts, but there is a good chance that the Day of Mourning could have left some residual effects on these like it has everything else."

*Moving up behind her, seemingly lost in thought, he keeps talking.*
"If that were the case, they could be studied extensively to help determine exactly what happened - or at least to provide a smaller clue to the puzzle. Gioodness. Imagine if they were pure enough, the exact effect it had upon them could be determined, how incredible that would be - to learn any little detail would be worthwhile, don't you think?"

Sallera
2010-12-20, 02:38 PM
Lyth shoots Pollux a sour look, not quite sure whether he's being naïve or deliberately mocking. "You could as well say the same about any stone underfoot. Given a problem of this magnitude, only the edge cases are likely to be enlightening. Regardless, yes, we can examine them, but let's wait to do so until after we've made sure there's no one still down here that might object to you looting the place."

FuryOfMetal
2010-12-23, 05:04 PM
Well if you'd like to go in through the other tunnel this is it.

Leaving the storeroom you head down the other tunnel. This one has been dug slightly wider for ease of travel for larger numbers. After about 30 feet it broadens further and you enter a large living area. It is barren of life, though small scraps of evidence remain pointing towards it's past inhabitants. Small clothes lay everywhere, shreds of fabric and scraps of food. The remains of a burnt out and campfire sit in the centre of this room, the charred wood now damp. Collections of material are strewn around but are in rough circles, probably beds of some sort. Also against the far wall is a row of small pickaxes.

perception check?

Sallera
2010-12-23, 05:35 PM
"Is this all? Odd. Where were they mining from, the entry tunnel walls?" Lyth makes a short circuit around the room, kicking material aside in search of any further tunnels down.

Sir
2011-01-09, 04:25 PM
Artuan, who had been following and keeping quiet for the researchers, poked his head up in the bedroom that Lyth just entered, glancing all around the room before speaking.

"Hmm, quite interesting. Since there doesn't seem to be any signs of battle here, I would think whatever was here either left - not likely as there are still gems, although the mourning may have drove them out -, or they were killed somewhere else, which is likely. I doubt there would be any secret tunnels here, but we may as well check. I expect you all already expect this, but I doubt this place is completely empty."

With that, Artuan walks over to the pickaxes and grabs one, examining it for any signs of a organization or workmanship.

Search, focused on the pickaxes:[roll1]

DueceEsMachine
2011-01-09, 08:52 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Pollux rolls his eyes, following the small woman down the corridor, speaking quietly enough to maintain at least a modicum of stealth. At least by his estimite.*
"I realize we have more important things to worry about than "looting". I'm not a complete fool, woman."
*As they enter the larger room, Pollux rolls his eyes. Again, with the searching. Why in the world was everyone always so concerned about hiding everything?. Following his companions, he tries his best, knowing it wasn't likely he'd spot anything.*

Perception
[roll0]

FuryOfMetal
2011-01-10, 05:23 PM
Poking around the room, you find naught but bundles of rags, a few pickaxes strewn around the room and the bed-like circles of material. You find no more gems or lootable items. Artuan's diligent search of the pickaxes doesn't reveal anything strange, though they are devoid of dust. In fact now you notice that there is very little dust or miniscule chunks of debris to be found on any of the items before you.

From in the corner you hear a muffled noise. It sounded like....ppphuckt.

Sallera
2011-01-10, 05:43 PM
"Well, the place is rather clean for an abandoned mine, but that could just be a side-effect of the Mourning... hm? Something here after all?" Lyth moves over to the corner with the torch, clearing the space of debris and running a hand along the wall. "Why bother hiding?"

Search: [roll0]

DueceEsMachine
2011-01-10, 06:02 PM
Pollux Cannith

*With a frown, Pollux looks around, setting his bag down near one of the mats.*
"Huh. Well, I must admit - this is the strangest mine I have ever had the displeasure of exploring... Lyth?"

*He turns to watch the small woman as she heads for one of the corners, the hairs on the back of his neck standing up as she does.*

FuryOfMetal
2011-01-10, 06:03 PM
In the corner, previously overlooked is what looks like just another bed pile. Again though you heard phuckt phuckt. Sallera, investigating the scene, pulls back the rags to reveal a relatively young Kobold, huddled into a ball. With it's hiding spot revealed it yelps and starts frantically backing away from Sallera and the group, flailing it's arms in protective distress. NO! GET BACK! it begs. You've taken the other and ransacked our home! Leave us be beast!

Sallera
2011-01-10, 06:39 PM
"Oh, for the love of..." Lyth pinches the bridge of her nose in frustration, letting out an irritated sigh. "Enough of the whining! I've no involvement with whoever looted the place, we were just looking for somewhere to sleep. Although why anyone would want to kidnap a bunch of kobolds is beyond me..."

Sir
2011-01-13, 04:56 PM
Artuan sets down the pick he had picked up at the sound, slowly turning and walking over. As the kobold came out of hiding, he jogs over to the spot, looks over the kobold, and reaches out a hand to help it up, glancing disapprovingly at Lyth for her attitude.

"Greetings, and I must agree with my friend, we are not your enemies. If you could explain what happened here - and possibly if there is still anything lurking in here -, I would be in your debt, and maybe we can help you. I assure you again, we are peaceful, and mean you no harm."

As he talks he has a forgiving and friendly smile on his face, and his eyes briefly flash with golden light.

Using my Detect Evil on the Kobold.

FuryOfMetal
2011-01-14, 05:37 PM
Being Eberron the alignment scale is blurred and Kobolds aren't always evil. This one is showing up as neutral. This whole tribe of Kobolds are neutral really, not because they show good and evil tendencies in moderation, but because they show no concern for the outside world and it's agendas. They'd show kindness to outsiders in need but would be wary of them. But also they'd defend themselves from aggressors with extreme prejudice. Which begs the question, what attacked them....

The Kobold continues to back away, shuffling backwards feebly. It squints it's eyes open, looking at you through a shield of defensive arms. Noticing that you're not the monsters it thought it relaxes slightly but still backs away until it's against the wall and leans against it. In a voice taught with panic and stress it mumbles it's apologies. Sorry outsiders. Maloy thought they had come back for him. Looking over you all his yellow eyes stop on Krieg. You're one of the stone men that Maloy has heard so much from the scouts. As they'd return from a foraging run they'd tell us stories of men encased in metal and stone, walking the wastes tirelessly, looking for something. Do you know them?

Is this readable for you all on your screens? I can change the colour if it's an issue.

Sallera
2011-01-14, 06:19 PM
"Hm. A lot of you living here, then? I suppose that doesn't mean much, given a kobold's potential diet, but still, interesting. Did your scouts leave the Mournland to forage, or did they remain in the immediate area?" Lyth's notebook is in her hand once again, her initial irritation replaced by curiosity. "And how long has your tribe lived here?"

DueceEsMachine
2011-01-14, 10:13 PM
Pollux Cannith

*looking over to the little kobold, he frowns, thinking for a moment*
"Your people have been here for some time then? I've heard rumors of warforged living in the mournland, though never seen them myself."
*looking around, he sniffs a bit, giving the creature a moment to respond to Lyth before asking his next question*
"Why were you hiding, Maloy?"

OOC:

Yeah, the green color shows up just fine for me. no worries.

TekHed
2011-01-14, 10:39 PM
As they explored this strange underground complex Krieg hummed a rousing battle-tune. He looked about though as usual he was more lost in thought than really examining the surroundings.

"Hey isn't it odd that such a small tunnel system was marked on our ma...ooh shiiiny!" he interrupted himself when Lyth found the emeralds. He began greedily shoveling what little he could find into his "pockets." "Gotta make us our spoils somehow..." he explained offhandedly to the others.

When the Kobold made it's presence known, Krieg let out a little chirp. "A lizard! grab it!"

When the situation progressed to intorductions, Krieg stomped over and peered down through narrowed eye slits.

"A talking lizard no less! Why no little lizard, though they be my cousins I have yet to meet any other 'forged here. Do you mean to say you know nothing of the glorious Nation of Warforged that was born from the great creation forges of Cannith? Where did you come from? Surely not the surface world..."

FuryOfMetal
2011-01-17, 07:40 AM
My brothers and sisters came from a much larger tribe with a well established mine. We broke off as living space and sharing of food became an issue. We knew of this small cave and hoped to dig further and maybe uncover great riches for Kurtulmaak. Maloy has begun working at the walls himself with his pick, when his brothers and sisters were.... He retreats again and lets out some muffled sobs.

Sorry, Maloy is just scared and worried now. His brothers and sisters were taken by the Stone Men and they looted his new mine, full of possibilities. We'd already found new, bright stones we'd never seen before and they just took them, laughing with eachother. But Maloy was not laughing. He was hiding. Maloy is a coward. He looks down at the floor, feeling ashamed for himself. When they raided us during our sleep cycle, Maloy did not rush to defend his home and his brothers and sisters. Maloy hid under his blanket and there he has remained for 2 days and night, too afraid to come out.

As he regains his confidence, he concentrates, trying to remember details. There was one among the Stone Men who was different. It was a human woman with simple, travelling clothes. Maloy saw that she carried only a dagger and had blood red tattoos curling up her forearms. She didn't do anything, she just stood there and watched, smiling. But Maloy found her scariest of all.

It's actually grey Deuce, maybe you can't see it properly after all :smalltongue:

Sallera
2011-01-17, 01:29 PM
"Hm. Bunch of kobolds against a warforged press gang? Hiding seems sensible enough to me." Lyth taps the feathered end of the quill against the page as Maloy continues.

"Wasn't aware the Lord of Blades employed humans, though, especially in leadership positions. Either he's more pragmatic than tales tell, or there's yet another faction out here to deal with. Sounds like there might be some merit to the theory of the Mourning affecting the surface strata, too, if you're finding new gems somewhere this shallow."

FuryOfMetal
2011-01-17, 06:43 PM
You're one of those clever-clogs aren't you, with all the big words. We had no use for them but Maloy thinks that you must be very smart. Still, Maloy should have tried to defend his home even though she was terrifying. Now you say, Maloy does remember hearing the name Lord of Blades from those monsters. She spoke in a strange language to the...'Forged did you say Looking to Krieg for approval. It was so....musical.

Hearing you mention gems, Maloy really pipes up to talk about something he knows and loves. Oh yes there were gems! We kept most of them in the storeroom in the other hall. We just came in a week ago and in what little digging we did, we found some of the best jewels any of us have ever seen! They are mostly green like moss but they shine, they shine like Monicker's special water tricks. They were just laying on the floor, these green rocks everywhere. Maloy was so happy the tribe had found such a place. But before the tribe could get set up and find a reliable water source and food scavenging, the Stone Men came with their leader.

Sir
2011-01-18, 11:49 AM
Artuan listens to his story, nodding at some parts, thinking.

"I wonder why they took your kin. I doubt they would have a use for them, and I don't think the lord of blades would approve using them as slaves. As they left all those gems on the floor, that means they came here specifically for your friends. Maybe the lord of blades has changed viewpoints? I don't know if thats a good or bad thing...

Maloy, do you where they went? It might help my curiosity, at the least."

DueceEsMachine
2011-01-18, 07:36 PM
Pollux Cannith

*With a slight sniff, Pollux nods as the young kobold speaks.*
"Two days and nights? that would explain the smell."

*With a frown, Pollux thinks on the small ones words. It was all very, very strange.*
"You said they had a woman with them? with marks on her arms? Why does that sound.... rrr. I need to think."

*Finding a relatively comfortable place to sit, he closes his eyes and leans his head back, trying to think.*
"aaah. By the Host.... why does that sound familiar?"

OOC:

Alright, well, grey, green, only a little difference between the two.
Let's do some rolls and see what I can come up with.

Knowledge - Local - anything about the warforged/ lord of blades working with humans, or who they might be working for.
[roll0]

Knowledge - Arcana - while most dragonmarks are purple, aberrant marks are distinctly red, so just taking a wild guess that it might have something to do with that.
[roll1]

FuryOfMetal
2011-01-20, 04:46 PM
I heard them say something about heading east, maybe northeast but Maloy's ears were muffled by the blankets of his cowardice. 2 days it has been since they left and only now has Maloy come out. They may have changed direction since, there is no way of knowing for sure. Hearing Pollux remember something about the womans tattoos, he asks more. What do you know of her? I've never seen anything like that, but over the screams and scuffling elder Guath was shouting something about her arms and to not go near her. Maloy certainly wasn't going to get up and talk to her.

Maloy shuffles awkwardly and looks around. So....What will you all be doing now? Maloy was told, by the scouts, that there is a town to the east along the Stones.

DueceEsMachine
2011-01-22, 12:37 PM
Pollux Cannith

*Looking over to their small host, Pollux sighs, shaking his head*
"It might take me a moment to remember. A town to the east? Well, it is entirely possible. A great number of towns and villages were left completely undamaged by the attack. Well, physically at least."

*Pulling out his map, he tries to get a bearing on where they are at, and what town might be east along the old lightning rail*
"The problem is, a lot of the old cities have become hunting grounds for things best left unsaid."

Okay - let's do another knowledge - Local, just for fun. Maybe I know somethign about this town.
[roll0]

Edit: Heck, with a roll like that, I probably lived there for a while. lol. That's the best roll I've gotten in some time. :smallbiggrin:

FuryOfMetal
2011-01-22, 03:55 PM
It may be a small town, it may be a village, it mights not even be all standing. Maloy only knows the scouts told him there were buildings to the east along The Stones. The scouts steared clear, didn't want to attract attention to our new enclave, didn't say who or what they saw there.