PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 steampunk cross over

Blueberrypop
2010-09-29, 09:22 AM
My friends and I are going to be starting up a new campaign, we all like steam punk and we all like normal D&D so why not combine them. I have started coming up with classes and I have two so far first the bruiser and second the gunslinger.

Bruiser: The bruiser a soldier who has excelled in combat. Chosen from the Tri-peak Alliance's top warriors. After being selected the soldier will be taken to the Death Forge, within Death Forge the soldier will undergo a radical change. Having their hands bound in a magical metal gauntlet, not much is known of this process. Bruisers do not use conventional weapons but their new mechfists, a fresh bruiser can barely comprehend the his new abilities but in time he will be powerful beyond belief.
Abilities:There are two types of bruisers, those equipped with arcanofists or those equipped with electrofists. Arcane bruisers require Constitution as they have taken on a protection role, Dexterity as to wield their gauntlets and intellect so they may harness their fists power later. As for electric bruisers instead of constitution as their main focus they have moved more towards strength.
Class skills:Balance (Dex). Climb (Str). Jump (Str). Knowledge (Mechfist) (Int). Spot (Wis). Craft (Modifications) (Int). Wielder of the fist (Dex).
Skill points at 1st level:4 + int mod x 4.
Skill points per level:4 + int mod
Features:All bruisers are equipped with plate armor and their respective mechfists.
See table 1-1 for skills at each level
Crushing fist: Basic melee attack if attack hits target is stunned for 1 turn if critical stunned for 2.
Mech adept tinker: The bruiser slowly learns the powers of their gauntlets adding +1 to their attack bonus.
Mech adept mod: Bruisers are know to mod their gauntlets, modded gauntlets may change elements, roll a d6 1-fire 2-cold 3-earth 4-acid 5-radiant 6-backfire, if a 6 is rolled the gauntlets lose all charge and cease to work for d4 turns.
Mech adept overclock: By this time bruisers know how to make the best of their additions. Overclocking combines both the tinker and mod skill, adds +3 to attack bonus and changes elemental type to either steam(water, air) or ballistic(fire, earth).
Repair mechanics: Bruiser are combat engineers as well as warriors, roll 1 d20 on a roll of 30 or higher the mechanics down time is reduced by half rounded up.
Charge fist: The bruiser will, on occasion, store elemental energy within their gauntlets. Rank one the bruiser gains a +1 to all attack and saving rolls at rank two it is increased to +3 and so on. These effects last for 4 + the bruisers int modifier. After the effects have worn off the bruiser will be stunned for one turn, overwhelmed by the power, roll a d4 1-shook off 2-takes 2 + level damage 3-stunned and takes 2 + level damage 4-overload, make a will save if failed stunned for 3 turns and takes 5 + level damage. At rank 4 the effects from the table above no longer apply. The bruiser becomes automatically stunned for 2 rounds. By rank 5 the fists are crackling with power, the bruiser takes 5 + level damage but gain +2 to all attack rolls. At rank 6 the gauntlets no longer seem to be effected in a negative way by the charge instead the gauntlets release their energy, If arcane the gauntlets will unleash a holy protector who shields all allies against damage for 3 rounds or heals all allies for 20 damage for 5 rounds. Electric gauntlets will unleash fury of the storm generating 2 d10 + int mod lightning bolts that splash 5 feet(1 square) or Elemental fury unleashing 1 d8 + 2 of every element on the mod table along with the controllers gauntlet element.
Bonus feat: The bruiser may choose a feat from the following list providing requirements are met, Dodge, Ground slam, [Arcane field generator, Static grip, Avenging blade, Tesla's revenge] require a roll of d20, need 17 or higher int bonus is added to roll.
Swift fist: Like iron to a magnet sometimes the bruisers gauntlets draw them to combat. Bruiser gains 10 x rank feet for movement.
Ground slam: make str check if passed all enemies next to bruiser are stunned for 1 turn.
Arcane field generator: Bruiser goes to one knee and generates a field 1 square that reduces damage by 2.
Static grip: Touch, make a str check if passed target is stunned for 1 turn and 2+ level damage.
Avenging blade: Bruiser generates a great blade from their fist +3 attack
Tesla's revenge: Bruiser sets off an electrical wave dealing d8 + level damage to up to 3 targets in front of the character.

Gunslinger: The gunslinger is a person who specializes in firearms, they know how they work and they know how to mod them.
Abilities: Both intelligence and dexterity play major roles as a gun slinger, a little constitution never hurt either.
Class skills: Knowledge (Guns) (Int), Craft (Engineering) (Int), Craft (Blacksmith) (Int), Spot (Wis), Aim (Dex), Dodge (Str).
Skill points at 1st level: (6 + int mod) x 4.
Skill points at each level: 6 + int mod.
Class Features: gunslingers wear armor ranging anywhere from light to heavy. They will only use pistols or a rifle, which can be modded.
Refer to chart 1-2 for features by level.
Master of their craft: Gunslingers have mastered their weapons knowing exactly what makes them tick. Gunslingers can never ruin their guns while modding them, also they can never jam their gun.
Forge master: Gunslingers spend a lot of their time at the local forge trading craft tips and secrets. While crafting(Engineering) the gunslinger may create “special” ammunition as follows, Hellfire rounds-rounds deal fire damage, Dead weight rounds-rounds have a chance to stun target, Shredder rounds-rounds can hit up to 3 targets at -2 to attack bonus and reducing guns range by half.
Crack Shot: Gunslinger usually come from some sort of hunter gatherer society using their skill to hunt. Crack shot adds ˝ level attack bonus to ranged attacks, it can only be used after taking an aim test.
Hot lead: Once the gunslinger gets into their groove almost nothing can stop them from filling a targed with metal. If combat enters a 3rd round the gunslinger will enter a trance where they will fire 2 rounds a turn instead of 1, if combat reaches a 4th round the gunslinger will fire 3 rounds and so on.
Gun mod: No gunslinger can refrain from modding their gun. Gun mods are as follows Rifle- sight, stand, clip5,10,15, blade, stabilizer, backfire prevention, semi-auto. Pistol- backfire prevention, blade, revolver size,3,6,9, stock, strip down, stabilizers, weighted.
Sight-Adds +1 to aim checks.
Stand-Adds +1 to aim checks.
Clip/revolver-Amount of shots held within the gun.
Stock-Increases accuracy of pistol but lowers mobility in combat movement reduced by 5ft but aim gains +1.
Stabilizer-Gun will auto correct if wielder is knocked.
Backfire prevention-Gun will not have a catastrophic misfire.
Semi-auto-Gun can fire clip size before reloading.
Blade-blade added to gun add extra d4 damage when attacking in melee
Strip down-Gun has been modded for mobility add 5ft to movement
Weighted-Guns handle has been modded add extra d4 damage to melee

Gun misfire table:
When rolling your attack if you roll under a 10 without any modifiers your gun misfires. Roll 1 d6 and look on the following chart.

1-2, Jammed, take next round to unjam gun
3-4, Backfire, roll reflex save if failed take 5 damage as your gun backfires in your face.
5-6, Catastrophic explosion, your gun explodes dealing 10 damage to yourself and everyone in 2 squares of you must take a reflex save if failed they suffer 5 damage, in addition your gun is wrecked you may no longer use the gun until you repair it at a forge.

Mind you I wrote this at 1 am and 7 am respectively C&C please.

Deth Muncher
2010-09-29, 09:28 AM
<--Is one of aforementioned friends

Glad to see you got around to making an account here. I'd have already given you an analysis of it, were it not for my working on a paper.

Thugorp
2010-09-29, 09:49 AM
There is already a great steam punk modal for 3.5 D&D, just go to google and type in, "DragonMech," IT IS GREAT! I literally LOVE it. It has gadgets steam powered(and wind up) mechs, bad guys from the moon and a bleak dark thing going on IT IS AMAZING! DRAGONMECH!

Blueberrypop
2010-09-29, 10:13 AM
Yeah not a fan of moon worm dragon things and I don't want robots becoming sentient and going terminator on everyone... this is the time period where steampunk is just starting to take over.

IcarusWings
2010-09-29, 10:54 AM
Get some tables in there and I'll read, you'd be surprised just how much easier it makes it.

Blueberrypop
2010-09-29, 01:16 PM
I can't post attachments so no tables yet

Mulletmanalive
2010-09-29, 01:39 PM
I have tables I just don't know how to add them and I'd rather not have to rewrite them.

The trouble with this is that I have literally no idea what any of that does. There are vague references to rules here and there but i have no idea what level anything comes at, what i might have to do to get it, etc.

I really like Steampunk so i'm happy to help but after two read throughs and no greater comprehension, i'm going to need a rewrite here.

erikun
2010-09-29, 02:22 PM
A table would very much help identify when each class gets their respective abilities. Just quote my post and copy everything in the TABLE tags. The first line of the table needs to be on the same line as the first TABLE tag for it to work.

{TABLE]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special Abilities
1 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +0 | 1st level abilities
2 | +2 | +3 | +0 | +0 | 2nd level abilities
3 | +3 | +3 | +1 | +1 | 3rd level abilities
4 | +4 | +4 | +1 | +1 | 4th level abilities
5 | +5 | +4 | +1 | +1 | 5th level abilities
6 | +6 | +5 | +2 | +2 | 6th level abilities
7 | +7 | +5 | +2 | +2 | 7th level abilities
8 | +8 | +6 | +2 | +2 | 8th level abilities
9 | +9 | +6 | +3 | +3 | 9th level abilities
10 | +10 | +7 | +3 | +3 | 10th level abilities
11 | +11 | +7 | +3 | +3 | 11th level abilities
12 | +12 | +8 | +4 | +4 | 12th level abilities
13 | +13 | +8 | +4 | +4 | 13th level abilities
14 | +14 | +9 | +4 | +4 | 14th level abilities
15 | +15 | +9 | +5 | +5 | 15th level abilities
16 | +16 | +10 | +5 | +5 | 16th level abilities
17 | +17 | +10 | +5 | +5 | 17th level abilities
18 | +18 | +11 | +6 | +6 | 18th level abilities
19 | +19 | +11 | +6 | +6 | 19th level abilities
20 | +20 | +12 | +6 | +6 | 20th level abilities
[/TABLE]

As for the classes...

Bruiser: I assume it gets Heavy Armor proficiency, Simple Weapon proficiency, proficiency in their Mechfist, and no proficiency in shields?

Crushing Fist, even if useable at will, should be something similar to the Stunning Fist feat. You also want to specify if it is its own attack, or part of a melee strike. Mech Adept Tinker should read "a +1 bonus to hit" or, if you prefer, a +1 enhancement bonus. Mech Adept Mod doesn't make much sense because we don't know what the "charge" is you are referring to, how long it lasts, and if it is bonus damage or a change in damage type. Mech Adept Overclock sounds like it adds a +3 bonus to hit (in addition to the bonus from Mech Adept Tinker) and... I'm not quite sure. Does the character actually become an elemental at this point?

I think I will wait for the table and some clarification before running through the rest of the abilities.

Blueberrypop
2010-09-29, 04:05 PM
A table would very much help identify when each class gets their respective abilities. Just quote my post and copy everything in the TABLE tags. The first line of the table needs to be on the same line as the first TABLE tag for it to work.

1 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +0 | 1st level abilities
2 | +2 | +3 | +0 | +0 | 2nd level abilities
3 | +3 | +3 | +1 | +1 | 3rd level abilities
4 | +4 | +4 | +1 | +1 | 4th level abilities
5 | +5 | +4 | +1 | +1 | 5th level abilities
6 | +6 | +5 | +2 | +2 | 6th level abilities
7 | +7 | +5 | +2 | +2 | 7th level abilities
8 | +8 | +6 | +2 | +2 | 8th level abilities
9 | +9 | +6 | +3 | +3 | 9th level abilities
10 | +10 | +7 | +3 | +3 | 10th level abilities
11 | +11 | +7 | +3 | +3 | 11th level abilities
12 | +12 | +8 | +4 | +4 | 12th level abilities
13 | +13 | +8 | +4 | +4 | 13th level abilities
14 | +14 | +9 | +4 | +4 | 14th level abilities
15 | +15 | +9 | +5 | +5 | 15th level abilities
16 | +16 | +10 | +5 | +5 | 16th level abilities
17 | +17 | +10 | +5 | +5 | 17th level abilities
18 | +18 | +11 | +6 | +6 | 18th level abilities
19 | +19 | +11 | +6 | +6 | 19th level abilities
20 | +20 | +12 | +6 | +6 | 20th level abilities
[/TABLE]

As for the classes...

Bruiser: I assume it gets Heavy Armor proficiency, Simple Weapon proficiency, proficiency in their Mechfist, and no proficiency in shields?

Crushing Fist, even if useable at will, should be something similar to the Stunning Fist feat. You also want to specify if it is its own attack, or part of a melee strike. Mech Adept Tinker should read "a +1 bonus to hit" or, if you prefer, a +1 enhancement bonus. Mech Adept Mod doesn't make much sense because we don't know what the "charge" is you are referring to, how long it lasts, and if it is bonus damage or a change in damage type. Mech Adept Overclock sounds like it adds a +3 bonus to hit (in addition to the bonus from Mech Adept Tinker) and... I'm not quite sure. Does the character actually become an elemental at this point?

I think I will wait for the table and some clarification before running through the rest of the abilities.

Like I said I was working on these either late at night or early in the morning. Fro the bruiser they get heavy armor proficiency, mechfist proficiency, they do not carry any type of "weapon".

Crushing fist: Take a dexterity test if passed target is stunned this is in addition to your normal attack. This attack can only be used every 3 turns in combat.

As for tinker you are correct it should be +1 to hit, same applies for overclock, mod changes the elemental damage of the bruisers attacks and it lasts as long as the mod is on the fist. The mod can be changed but only out of combat and no they do not become an elemental because only the fists are changed.

Charge fist gains you a counter for every charge, a charge wears off every 3 rounds of combat. After rank 3 the bruiser will start their stack from rank 3. If that makes sense

1 | +0 | +2 | +0 | +0 | Mech adept- tinker, mod. Crushing fist
2 | +1 | +3 | +0 | +0 | Repair mechanics, Bonus feat
3 | +2 | +3 | +1 | +1 | Charge fist
4 | +3 | +4 | +1 | +1 | Bonus feat
5 | +3 | +4 | +1 | +1 | Swift fist
6 | +4 | +5 | +2 | +2 | Charge fist
7 | +5 | +5 | +2 | +2 | Mech adept- overclock
8 | +6 | +6 | +2 | +2 | none
9 | +6 | +6 | +3 | +3 | Charge fist
10 | +7 | +7 | +3 | +3 | Bonus feat
11 | +8 | +7 | +3 | +3 | Swift fist
12 | +9 | +8 | +4 | +4 | Charge fist (Overload)
13 | +9 | +8 | +4 | +4 | Bonus feat
14 | +10 | +9 | +4 | +4 | none
15 | +11 | +9 | +5 | +5 | Charge fist (Critical mass)
16 | +12 | +10 | +5 | +5 | Bonus feat
17 | +12 | +10 | +5 | +5 | none
18 | +13 | +11 | +6 | +6 | Charge fist (Unlock potential)
19 | +14 | +11 | +6 | +6 | Bonus feat
20 | +15 | +12 | +6 | +6 | Swift fist
[/TABLE]

Thugorp
2010-09-29, 06:45 PM
Yeah not a fan of moon worm dragon things and I don't want robots becoming sentient and going terminator on everyone... this is the time period where steampunk is just starting to take over.

I have no idea what you are refuring to with the, centient robot thing... but at least you looked I guess...

Blueberrypop
2010-09-29, 06:56 PM
I have no idea what you are refuring to with the, centient robot thing... but at least you looked I guess...

I have all the books, I'm just not a fan. Plus my story is set before steam power is really employed to run robots or mechs or whatever. The setting for the story is a WWI style of war where a lot of the combat is still manpower. So no mechs to ruin my fights :P.

Thugorp
2010-09-30, 12:12 PM
oh i see... very good then.

erikun
2010-09-30, 01:24 PM
Well, the first issue I see is the lack of ranged weaponry. The monk has enough trouble relying on a sling to fight ranged enemies; this guy can barely hit anything 10' off the ground. Giving him the rather humorous Improvised Weapon Proficiency (ranged only) would be an amusing way of resolving that, although it's still not as good as actually using a reliable weapon.

For Crushing Fist, you haven't given us an indicator of what kind of Dexterity check he needs to stun an opponent. I'm also not sure why being agile gives you a better chance to stun someone. The whole Mech Adept line might be better spread out more. I'm also not sure if you are trying to replace the enhancement bonus on the mechfist or add to it. Simply giving a +1 enhancement bonus every three/four levels would work in that case, or a +1 to hit (3rd, 9rd, 15th) and +2 damage (6th, 12th, 18th) if not. Perhaps more.

I am still not sure what you mean by "elemental damage". Weapons don't have elemental damage types, and when you change them to something like [Fire], they aren't weapons anymore. A Flaming sword deals 1d8 slashing damage + 1d6 fire damage. A Fireball deals 5d6 fire damage.

The Charge Fist line, including Mech Adept Mod, should be clarified with just how many charges they get when. I am still not clear on how many charged they have a first level. None? Three? 1 + CON modifier? For that matter, I don't know how many they have at 20th level, how they get them, and how they recover them.

Repair Mechanics might be better as a straight bonus to craft, or simply allowing quick repairs to the Mechfist. Right now, the ability can't be used. (1d20 without bonuses will never roll 30+, even on a natural 20.)

Swift Fist needs to define what "rank" means. For Ground Slam, we need to know what DC of Strength Check we are making. Arcane Field Generator - is this for all damage? Just melee damage? Ability damage and level drain?

Once I have a clear idea of everything the class can do, we can begin critiquing it. :smalltongue:

Blueberrypop
2010-09-30, 02:54 PM
I might make it where the actual hand part of the fist can be fired as a ranged weapon.

for crushing fist I'm probably going to change it to your enemy has to take a reflex test, if failed they become stunned.

I was going for like a +1 enhance bonus idea

With mod the damage is no longer physical whatsoever it becomes whatever element the fist emits. EX: you get the fire mod, you deal fire damage.

Charge fist works like this, once you obtain the first rank you get 1 charge counter that is all it is a counter of energy stored on your character. you only have 1 charge at rank 1, 2 at rank 2 so on and so fourth.

Repair should be on a roll of 18, 1d20 + int mod is your roll.

The skill has ranks as in first, second, third on the chart. so rank one is 10 additional feet rank 2 is 20 feet.

The shield generator is for melee damage and ranged damage that isn't magical, bows, throwing weapons and that sort of thing.

Gunslinger:

1 | +0 | +0 | +2 | +0 | Master of their craft, Forge master
2 | +1 | +1 | +3 | +1 | Crack shot rank 1
3 | +1 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Hot lead rank 1
4 | +2 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Gun mod
5 | +2 | +2 | +5 | +2 | none
6 | +3 | +2 | +5 | +2 | Crack shot rank 2
7 | +3 | +2 | +6 | +2 | Hot lead rank 2
8 | +4 | +3 | +6 | +3 | Gun mod
9 | +4 | +3 | +7 | +3 | none
10 | +5 | +3 | +7 | +3 | Crack shot rank 3
11 | +5 | +4 | +8 | +4 | Hot lead rank 3
12 | +6 | +4 | +8 | +4 | Gun mod
13 | +7 | +4 | +9 | +4 | none
14 | +8 | +5 | +9 | +5 | Crack shot rank 4
15 | +8 | +5 | +10 | +5 | Hot lead rank 4
16 | +9 | +5 | +10 | +5 | Gun mod
17 | +9 | +6 | +11 | +6 | none
18 | +10 | +6 | +11 | +6 | Crack shot rank 5
19 | +10 | +6 | +12 | +6 | Hot lead rank 5
20 | +11 | +7 | +12 | +7 | Gun mod
[/TABLE]

Edits to skills

Gunslingers can use light, medium, and heavy armor. They can only use pistols and rifles for ranged and they can use simple melee weapons.

Hot lead will be changed to every 3rd round of combat the gunslinger will get +1 to their attack bonus, this effect stacks every 3rd round. Every rank of this skill adds 1 to attack bonus for the first round, do round 3 rank 1 you get +1 and +1 for every 3rd round at round 3 rank 2 you get 2 and +1 for every 3rd round after that.

Gun mod stabilizer is pretty much the same as combat casting.

Also every time you obtain the ability to add another mod if you carry pistols they are modded in pairs and if you also carry a rifle you have to choose which gun you are going to mod.