PDA

View Full Version : Aberrant Feats?

Shenanigans
2010-09-29, 09:23 AM
I know they're not optimizer-friendly, but I was thinking of creating a character with a number of the Aberrant feats from Lord of Madness. I think they look fun, moderately effective, and definitely would provide a fun base from which to role play a character (maybe an Innsmouth Look/Deep One kind of thing.)

I think they'd probably be best suited to some kind of melee type, probably human and fighter base to help absorb all the feats needed.

The ones I was thinking of using would be Aberration Blood (pre-req), Inhuman Reach, Bestial Hide, Inhuman Vision, Warped Mind, and either (both?) Waterspawn or Starspawn.

I'm just looking for thoughts, whether on Aberrant Feats in general or build ideas.

dsmiles
2010-09-29, 09:37 AM
I did it with a melee (spiked chain) scout and went with Starspawn. I also added Darkstalker, though not an aberrant feat. Worked out rather well, though the people I game with don't play those high-powered games (for us using CR actually provides level appropriate encounters).

Prime32
2010-09-29, 10:39 AM
Don't forget {Scrubbed}Mourning Mutate[/URL]. Most notable in that it does not require the Humanoid type.

Shenanigans
2010-09-29, 10:58 AM
Don't forget {Scrubbed}Mourning Mutate[/URL]. Most notable in that it does not require the Humanoid type.
The link doesn't seem to be working...is this some kind of prestige class?

Amphetryon
2010-09-29, 12:03 PM
It's a feat from Dragon Magazine #359; {Scrubbed}was down for a while but seems to be working as of this post.

Shenanigans
2010-09-29, 12:35 PM
Interesting...if any of my groups played Eberron I'd try to figure out a way to work it in.

Anyone have any thoughts on what a good prestige class for an Aberrant (not Aberration) fighter might be? I'm thinking 6-8 levels of fighter for the bonus feats and all, but after that I'm stumped. If I stick with human as a race, I'll have all the Aberrant feats I want by 12th/15th level unless I take flaws, which are a definite thought. Heck, other than the Aberrant feats and a slimy, disturbing set of fluff, I'm not even sure what core principles to design this character around. Obviously, taking advantage of reach would be good, as well as swimming and/or flying. Might a reach weapon be advisable, to maximize the benefit of Inhuman Reach?

imdmoogleking
2010-09-29, 10:32 PM
Be a druid and get aberrant wild shape. Even without supernatural/most extraordinary abilities (you keep poison, improved grab, etc.) there are lots of nice aberrations. Examples: rukanyr, avalokia ,and stonesinger (MMs 2/3, forget which are which.) Then possibly get the warshaper prestige class from complete warrior. This build seems like (I'm planning on making one but haven't gotten around to it) it's pretty good and would be pretty interesting to roleplay. (Druid who views aberrations as better than nature? Aberrations destroyed his forest/natural environment he lived in and he now worships them?)

dgnslyr
2010-09-29, 10:48 PM
Elans, with no LA and a few neat tricks, are Aberrants, if you're into psionics.

Keld Denar
2010-09-29, 10:59 PM
I have a half giant tashalatoran who uses Deepspawn. Flexible Limbs and Deepspawn both give a +2 untyped bonus on grapples, and Deepspawn gives you fun tentacle attacks you can use to make touches to start grapples. ECL5 and I'm sitting on a +28 grapple mod. I think I can grapple a huge dragon pretty competatively with that kind of mod.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-29, 11:21 PM
I have a half giant tashalatoran who uses Deepspawn. Flexible Limbs and Deepspawn both give a +2 untyped bonus on grapples, and Deepspawn gives you fun tentacle attacks you can use to make touches to start grapples. ECL5 and I'm sitting on a +28 grapple mod. I think I can grapple a huge dragon pretty competatively with that kind of mod.

Expanded or unexpanded (as per the power)

Keld Denar
2010-09-29, 11:25 PM
Expanded and with Grip of Iron running. Grip is an Immediate action, which Links (Link Power) nicely to Expansion allowing me to self-buff for virtually no actions!

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-29, 11:28 PM
Nice....hmmm can you out grapple the tarrasque or will you eventually be able to?? IIRC that was the goal of almost all dedicated grapplers.

Keld Denar
2010-09-29, 11:50 PM
Well, Mr T (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tarrasque.htm) has a +81 grapple. That is pretty daunting. I think when I'm able to expand up to huge, have Girallon Arms bound to my Totem Chakra, and can fully augement Grip of Iron (using Practiced Manifester, Midnight Augmentation, and Soul Manifester's Psionic Investment, I'll have a decent shot.

At 20
12 BAB
+12 size (huge + powerful build)
+4 Imp Grapple
+4 Aberrant Blood + Deepspawn
+2 Open Lesser Chakra: Arms
+13 ~36 Str (expanded with gear)
+14 from 6 essentia invested in Girallon Arms (Expanded Soulmeld Capacity)
+4 from Kraken Mantle bound to Arms with 4 essentia
+16 from effective ML 25 Grip of Iron (+2 for Soul Manifester, +3 for Midnight Augmentation)

Thats +81 to tie his grapple check. Not too bad. I'm sure some people could help me squeeze another 19 points out of there so I can beat his 20 with my 1.

Some way to cast Divine Power would up it another 8 points. I lose a lot of BAB going with Soul Manifester...

dsmiles
2010-09-30, 07:53 AM
Well, Mr T (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tarrasque.htm) has a +81 grapple.

No, Mr T is a Night Elf Mohawk!
http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Mr_T_BA.jpg
http://th09.deviantart.net/fs51/PRE/i/2009/335/8/6/Night_elf_mohawk_by_captokyo.jpg
See?
What's your game?!?!

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-30, 01:45 PM
Well, Mr T (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/tarrasque.htm) has a +81 grapple. That is pretty daunting. I think when I'm able to expand up to huge, have Girallon Arms bound to my Totem Chakra, and can fully augement Grip of Iron (using Practiced Manifester, Midnight Augmentation, and Soul Manifester's Psionic Investment, I'll have a decent shot.

At 20
12 BAB
+12 size (huge + powerful build)
+4 Imp Grapple
+4 Aberrant Blood + Deepspawn
+2 Open Lesser Chakra: Arms
+13 ~36 Str (expanded with gear)
+14 from 6 essentia invested in Girallon Arms (Expanded Soulmeld Capacity)
+4 from Kraken Mantle bound to Arms with 4 essentia
+16 from effective ML 25 Grip of Iron (+2 for Soul Manifester, +3 for Midnight Augmentation)

Thats +81 to tie his grapple check. Not too bad. I'm sure some people could help me squeeze another 19 points out of there so I can beat his 20 with my 1.

Some way to cast Divine Power would up it another 8 points. I lose a lot of BAB going with Soul Manifester...

Buy some partially charged wands?:smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2010-09-30, 02:01 PM
With my crossclass ranks in UMD and low ass Charisma? Right...

Just cause it works for him, doesn't mean it works for the rest of us!

:smallcool:

Aldizog
2010-09-30, 03:58 PM
You have to be humanoid to take Aberration Blood. Half-giants are giant type, correct? Though I've also seen these same two feats recommended in goliath grappler builds (monstrous humanoid) so perhaps it is a commonly ignored requirement.