PDA

View Full Version : Evard's Black Tentacles

Tharck
2010-09-29, 11:37 AM
What effect does stacking this spell on the same spot have?

(If this is covered elsewhere, my apologies - though I would still appreciate knowing)

Caliphbubba
2010-09-29, 11:51 AM
I can see this going one of two ways:

A) You make a grapple check for every instance of the spell.
like if there were 3 stacked on each other you'd make the grapple check 3 times, and take the damage 3 times if they all grappled you.

or

B) The second and latter casting in effect lengthen the duration of the first.

I don't have any idea which is the best option, though I think option A is probably closer to how it should be RAW.

*shrug*

Duke of URL
2010-09-29, 12:03 PM
For the life of me, I can't find a RAW answer. Most descriptions regarding spell effects refer to those that cause damage or penalties, and/or discuss multiple spells from different sources or strengths.

How I'd personally rule is that the same square can only be affected once at a time. If there are overlapping effects, the strongest one cast (assuming from multiple casters) applies. If that duration ends before other effects, the next strongest then applies, etc..

It's just as legit to rule that each spell is adjudicated separately, even in the same square. I just don't think it makes that much sense to do so.

Tharck
2010-09-29, 12:06 PM
So if say someone overlapped permanent fireballs, only one would effect people walking into it?

Duke of URL
2010-09-29, 12:11 PM
So if say someone overlapped permanent fireballs, only one would effect people walking into it?

There's a definite "yes" RAW answer to that. Only the strongest would apply. (Not sure how you'd get permanent fireball effects, however.)

shadmere
2010-09-29, 12:19 PM
There's a definite "yes" RAW answer to that. Only the strongest would apply. (Not sure how you'd get permanent fireball effects, however.)

Where is that in the RAW? (I'm not arguing, I just want to know where it is. :smalltongue:) Would it affect twinned fireballs, or something like that?

Duke of URL
2010-09-29, 12:23 PM
Where is that in the RAW? (I'm not arguing, I just want to know where it is. :smalltongue:) Would it affect twinned fireballs, or something like that?

Magic Overview/Casting Spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells.htm#combiningMagicalEffects)

Same Effect More than Once in Different Strengths

In cases when two or more identical spells are operating in the same area or on the same target, but at different strengths, only the best one applies.

That's the same rationale I'd use that multiple black tentacles would not cause redundant effects. In both cases, it can be argued that if the spells are the same strength, the text above does not apply, but that argument seems specious, as there's no other relevant rule to fall back on.

Now, if the fireball effects were normal instantaneous spells, they'd both take affect:

Instantaneous Effects

Two or more spells with instantaneous durations work cumulatively when they affect the same target.

Tharck
2010-09-29, 12:23 PM
Doesnt effect meteor swarm :P

EDIT: Clarified above.

But this is a conjuration/summon as well (thus no SR). It could be considered seperate creatures.

Im wondering by RAW where the distinction lies.

Duke of URL
2010-09-29, 12:26 PM
Because it's instantaneous.

Emmerask
2010-09-29, 12:30 PM
If you stack 3 one would take effect the other tentacles from the other 2 spells would be to busy grappling with itself :smallbiggrin:

Duke of URL
2010-09-29, 12:35 PM
But this is a conjuration/summon as well (thus no SR). It could be considered seperate creatures.

Im wondering by RAW where the distinction lies.

RAW doesn't distinguish, so common sense needs to come into play. If you're treating them as creatures, can 2 or more Large creatures effectively share the same space? The answer to that is generally "no".

Zhalath
2010-09-29, 07:56 PM
I'd say if they're from different casters, the stronger one applies. If both are the same level, no effect. I mean, doesn't the same apply to other spells, that you can't keep layering?

If your party wizard is trying to do this, give him a swat for me.