PDA

View Full Version : Reincarnation with Oslecamo's Monster Classes

Cogidubnus
2010-09-29, 11:48 AM
What do you do if someone with levels in a monster class (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165439) is reincarnated. I can think of four options.

1) You tell them they gain no benefits apart from HD etc. from those levels. This is bad a) because it's just nasty to your player and b) because it makes no sense for you to keep the levels at all by this argument.

2) You let them take the levels in different classes. Potentially exploitable by munchkins.

3) You let them take levels in the relevant monster class if they become an appropriate monster. Almost always going to require a result of "Other".

4 - my favourite) You declare that by taking levels in the monster class they come closer to being the epitome of what they are, and it becomes a part of their personality and soul, so when they reincarnate, their new form gains all the benefits of the old one. For example, a reincarnated level 10 pit fiend who came back as a halfling would grow to Medium, grow claws, wings and a tail, have a bunch of SLAs and get a lot more physically powerful.

Any other thoughts?

Morph Bark
2010-09-29, 11:50 AM
I'd go with option 4, personally.

Especially since technically you could take levels in multiple monster classes.

Ormur
2010-09-29, 08:19 PM
That's tricky. It depends on the monster class probably.

Reincarnation however specifies that the DM should make a new list for non-humanoids which would then be reincarnated as a creature of a similar type in most cases. We reincarnated the Druid's wolf animal companion as a boar for example. It makes no sense for someone with levels in Beholder to be always reincarnated as a humanoid.

If there are other classes for similar monsters maybe you could just switch the character entirely to them. You died as a level 10 red dragon and get reincarnated as a level 9 gold dragons or some such. The list of monster has become pretty thorough if I'm not mistaken but it does change you concept pretty drastically.

Another possible way is to divorce the physical ability modifiers on the default reincarnation graph from the races and just roll on that. Then you can just find a suitable monster or race for the end result. Effectively you'd come back same as the original monster +2 con, -2 con, if you rolled gnome as an example, but you wouldn't be a gnome.

The DM could make a new table with similar minor physical changes that would correspond to similar monsters. If you were a red dragon and end up as a white dragon you loose two strenght or something like that.

Urpriest
2010-09-29, 08:44 PM
I'd do it like this:

First, as Ormur states, each creature type gets its own reincarnation chart. Further, I would limit the chart to monster classes with at least as many levels as you currently have in your monster classes. The monster classes would then be traded for the monster class of the new monster.