PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Multi-multi-classing

LibraryOgre
2010-09-29, 01:34 PM
So, I'm working on a bard for a short campaign (Lord William Francis Worthington-Fitzpatrick III), and made him a multi-classed warlord. While my build is fairly complete, I noticed that, as a bard, I could take multiple Warlord MC feats, including several varieties of the "Spend an action point, ally gets X". If I were to trash my build to get all of those, would they all apply? They don't specify actions or anything... but it does seem somewhat abusive to be able to apply ALL of them.

Mando Knight
2010-09-29, 01:36 PM
They technically would all apply. Also, according to the Character Builder, any class can take multiple MC feats into the same class...

Tengu_temp
2010-09-29, 01:37 PM
If they're "spend an action point to give an ally a bonus instead of the normal effect" feats, then only one o them applies at once, because you need to spend an action point to activate each feat. If they're "when you spend an action point, an ally gets a bonus" feats, then all of them work together, because they give additional bonuses to you spending an action point.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-09-29, 01:41 PM
Well, keep an eye out for stacking bonus types but otherwise it sounds kosher.

Remember that you're spending valuable feat slots to juice up a resource that is spent roughly 0.5/EN - it's a fun idea, but not abusive.

Kurald Galain
2010-09-29, 01:46 PM
While my build is fairly complete, I noticed that, as a bard, I could take multiple Warlord MC feats,
Arguably that shouldn't work, since after taking a Warlord MC feat, you count as a Warlord; and you can't take a multiclass feat for your own class. At least, the rules are somewhat ambiguous on this.

Other than that, yes, they would stack, but it's not a particularly powerful combo given the huge feat investment.

LibraryOgre
2010-09-29, 01:50 PM
If they're "spend an action point to give an ally a bonus instead of the normal effect" feats, then only one o them applies at once, because you need to spend an action point to activate each feat. If they're "when you spend an action point, an ally gets a bonus" feats, then all of them work together, because they give additional bonuses to you spending an action point.

Generally, they are the "When an ally spends an action point, you give him X bonus."

While I know it's not terribly awesome, those bonuses have quite frequently come very much in handy when we've had a warlord... especially the resourceful warlords' "damage or temporary hp if you completely miss"

Ihouji
2010-09-29, 02:21 PM
Arguably that shouldn't work, since after taking a Warlord MC feat, you count as a Warlord; and you can't take a multiclass feat for your own class.

I'd go with this once you MC to warlord the first time you are counted as a warlord so you can't take warlord MC feats because you are one.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-09-29, 02:27 PM
I'd go with this once you MC to warlord the first time you are counted as a warlord so you can't take warlord MC feats because you are one.
...which is not how the Character Builder ("CB") treats it.

Anyone found RAW on MCing in this respect? I know that the multiple MC options weren't available the last time I checked the text (PHB I) so who knows?

kieza
2010-09-29, 02:54 PM
Well, there are the MC entry feats, but there are also the feats that give you additional Warlord feats after you've MCd. I'd say you can't take more than one of the entry feats, but the intent seems to be that you can take more than one of the extra ability feats.

LibraryOgre
2010-09-29, 03:17 PM
Incidentally, between that feat and my prestige class, things work out pretty sweet. Spend an action point on a non-attack? Here's some HP. Spend an action point on an attack? Here's a bonus to damage if you hit, and some temporary HP if you miss.

WitchSlayer
2010-09-29, 05:46 PM
Reminds me of this one time when I made a bard in the character creator with every multiclass feat ever. Had to heavily houserule feats though. You could totally take all the Warlord feats and I'm pretty sure they'd all stack.

LibraryOgre
2010-10-01, 11:45 AM
Reminds me of this one time when I made a bard in the character creator with every multiclass feat ever. Had to heavily houserule feats though. You could totally take all the Warlord feats and I'm pretty sure they'd all stack.

Actually, that was my first Bard. His only feats were multiclass feats, most of which gave him skills.

tbarrie
2010-10-03, 03:35 PM
Well, there are the MC entry feats, but there are also the feats that give you additional Warlord feats after you've MCd. I'd say you can't take more than one of the entry feats, but the intent seems to be that you can take more than one of the extra ability feats.

If that were the intent, though, surely they'd have keyworded them differently to make it clear? As it is, they're all just "[MULTICLASS WARLORD]". The PHB only says that you can only have multiclass feats from one other class, not one period, and the wording of later books seems consistent with that interpretation.