PDA

View Full Version : Chasing opponents

Calmar
2010-09-29, 01:57 PM
It seems this situation arises quite often, but I never really know how to handle it truly satistfying: An opponent tries to flee and the PCs chase him.
Using normal movement does not really seem to reflect the action of a chase and is, I think, rather boring. How do you handle such things?

Let's say (because I'll need that soon) an opponent tries to escape on horseback, the PCs also have horses. How could this be handled?

senrath
2010-09-29, 02:08 PM
Assuming D&D 3.5, there are actually rules for this:

In round-by-round movement, simply counting off squares, it’s impossible for a slow character to get away from a determined fast character without mitigating circumstances. Likewise, it’s no problem for a fast character to get away from a slower one.

When the speeds of the two concerned characters are equal, there’s a simple way to resolve a chase: If one creature is pursuing another, both are moving at the same speed, and the chase continues for at least a few rounds, have them make opposed Dexterity checks to see who is the faster over those rounds. If the creature being chased wins, it escapes. If the pursuer wins, it catches the fleeing creature.

Sometimes a chase occurs overland and could last all day, with the two sides only occasionally getting glimpses of each other at a distance. In the case of a long chase, an opposed Constitution check made by all parties determines which can keep pace the longest. If the creature being chased rolls the highest, it gets away. If not, the chaser runs down its prey, outlasting it with stamina.

Calmar
2010-09-29, 02:16 PM
Ah, thanks! :smallsmile:

Talon Sky
2010-09-29, 02:21 PM
Hmm. I generally just have them roll a d20 to determine (if speeds are even) which one wins. Of course, restraining takes a grapple check....which generally deters my players from chasing down opponents ;p