PDA

View Full Version : Comprehensive class-free D&D

WarKitty
2010-09-29, 03:53 PM
Here's the basic idea: Instead of a class, you get a list of class features and abilities. Each ability has a certain point value, and you get a certain number of points every level-up with which to purchase abilities.

Now I can see a few issues off the bat. The biggest one is stuff like proficiencies, skill points, and hit die. I'm not entirely sure how to handle those. I'm also not sure whether or not to allow players to save up their level points.

My group likes 3.5's basic mechanics but would like more flexibility. Thoughts? Traps? Ways to make this better?

Lysander
2010-09-29, 04:01 PM
There's the Generic Classes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm), which is kind of similar to what you're talking about.

WarKitty
2010-09-29, 04:08 PM
There's the Generic Classes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm), which is kind of similar to what you're talking about.

Those might make a good base for what I'm thinking. I'm looking for a system for a group that likes to play gestalt power level though.

Edit: Hmmm nice templates for the warrior and spellcaster. I would like to have a half-caster template as well (e.g. ranger, paladin).

Lysander
2010-09-29, 04:15 PM
Maybe you could give them a larger list of abilities to choose from, or expand the list at certain levels with more powerful talents like wild shape.

WarKitty
2010-09-29, 04:17 PM
Maybe you could give them a larger list of abilities to choose from, or expand the list at certain levels with more powerful talents like wild shape.

That seems to be a decent basic idea. I'd like to be able to integrate ToB mechanics in as well, along with differentiation between spontaneous and prepared spellcasters.

Basically you should be able to recreate a standard Tier 2-3 class using these paradigms, with the ability to create a top-tier melee class.

Nero24200
2010-09-29, 04:32 PM
You could always create variant class features based on the feats from the Generic Classes (and any other class features you might want), then grant PC's a pool of points which they can spend to improve them.

For instance, one could be a feat which grants the PC the equivilent of a 1st level warblade's manouver progression, and spending enough points could up this to a 2nd level warblade's progression.

It could allow for the same power level as a gestualt character if you simply provide the PC's with enough points per level. The downside being that alot of work would be needed to make the homebrew feats.

WarKitty
2010-09-29, 04:38 PM
I think my biggest challenge is how to handle casting abilities. I'm not sure how to integrate spell progression into the point system. I'd like to allow casting to advance as fast or slow as the players like (up to a certain maximum of course), but at the trade-off of more casting=less other stuff. So you can have full wizard progression, but you can also create "I get one first-level spell slot at level 4 to enhance my sword-swinging."

Spell lists might also be an issue, as I'd want them to have different spell lists available. Or even to customize spell lists.

Saidoro
2010-10-03, 05:52 PM
I think that this (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=51255&filters=0_0_0&manufacturers_id=617) is what you're looking for.

Basically, each player advances in levels and gain a number of character points at each level, these points can be spent on BaB, skills, bigger hit die, casting, and pretty much anything else.