PDA

View Full Version : Just how useful is iron heart surge?

randomhero00
2010-09-29, 05:38 PM
And why don't I see it in more builds? Too cheesey? Not worth the feats, or level dip?

By the time you need it, it seems like you'd have mind blank and freedom of movement cast on you in general. And other protection spells for more specific situations. I suppose it'd be good with no casters in your party, but otherwise it doesn't sound as useful as some people make it out to be. Certainly if you are already a warblade, but otherwise...

Ernir
2010-09-29, 05:44 PM
It's badly worded enough to make people avoid or ban it for that reason.

What I don't like about it, is that even with a reading permissive enough to let you end the sun, it still doesn't get you out of conditions that restrict your standard actions - like Stun, Daze, and Nauseated. Which are the conditions I would REALLY like to IHS away.

EDIT: Still useful, provided your DM isn't constantly complaining about what qualifies.

Saph
2010-09-29, 05:46 PM
And why don't I see it in more builds?

Two reasons:

1. It's only easily available to one class in the entire game, namely the Warblade.

2. It's so ambiguously worded that no-one can agree on what the damn thing actually does.

FMArthur
2010-09-29, 06:45 PM
It doesn't get rid of most of the things you would care about removing because it takes a standard action. That's basically the whole problem with it. I still take it, but I never keep it readied in combat.

SurlySeraph
2010-09-29, 07:34 PM
Getting rid of Domination or suchlike is worth a standard action. But since its wording is so bad, it's hard to be sure exactly what uses the DM will allow, so it's often smart to skip it.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-29, 07:36 PM
Ironheart surge!

Without "******* sharkjumper lawyer logic": Incredibly useful. When you fail a save on the most crucial moment, you can "awesome" your way back into effectiveness.
With "******* sharkjumper lawyer logic": Not useful at all. The DM will throw books at you, and then defenestrate you. From the basement. Without windows.

Chen
2010-09-30, 07:44 AM
Getting rid of Domination or suchlike is worth a standard action. But since its wording is so bad, it's hard to be sure exactly what uses the DM will allow, so it's often smart to skip it.

I'm pretty sure the dominator is the one who chooses what you do when dominated. I suppose it could remove charm person. Overall there aren't too many conditions that come up that I've found I need to remove that still let me have the standard action to remove them. I suppose negative levels would be one type that it would be useful to get rid of.