PDA

View Full Version : Need awesome weapons

Infernum
2010-09-29, 05:42 PM
I am tweaking the weapons of legacy for a campaign and was curious if there was a compiled list of home brewed weapons of this type as the list i am working with from the book is....not enough and lacking in a lot of areas.

If anyone can help in this area i would be very grateful.

The Rabbler
2010-09-29, 05:58 PM
weapons of legacy are widely considered to be sub-par. I personally consider them "meh" at best, as they don't do a whole lot for what they cost.

Whenever this kind of thing comes up, I always use either the Item Familiar Feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) for items that do more than they normally would or a Legendary Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/legendaryWeapons.htm) if the player wants to focus their character on their weapon.

Infernum
2010-09-29, 06:27 PM
Well thats a nice substitute, but im looking for any home made WoL out there. As far as the cost....i got rid of it and basically its new cost is the ritual costs and time. No BAB, saves, HP or any other cost. But most now have "Imprint" abilities that mark or change the wielders in some way, such as making them smell like a swamp or feel cold to the touch.

They are more a role playing...."enhancement" or hindrance as some players might say, but they cant really complain as they get this bad ass item out of it.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-29, 06:28 PM
I think using the normal legacy items rules, without using the penalties is a good if somewhat lazy fix.

Notreallyhere77
2010-09-29, 06:36 PM
I find that weapons of legacy are best when made from scratch. Almost completely from scratch. For example, if the book offers casting a specific spell X times/day, I often substitute a more useful spell of equal level (or one level higher) for the same number of times/day. The book offers plenty of inspirateion, but I've never used them as presented.
I also have found that the way to make them a little better is to reduce the fees to gain the legacy feats, reduce some but not all of the personal costs, and add situational bonuses.

Then again, I have less experience than a lot of players and DMs with these items, and I may have been overdoing it.

Infernum
2010-09-29, 07:29 PM
While it might be a bit lazy as far as mechanics go, i have yet to have a player complain that it unbalances the item, and the "Imprinting" that i have implemented into the item has gotten raves from some players in the past claiming that it was a unique and intriguing role playing challenge.

I have been working on some from scratch, but i also like to take pre-made stuff and rework it as that takes less time and i sometimes fall short on my creativity.

But i do appreciate all the input, although it seems that i am probably not going to get what i posted this thread for, but i still hold hope that someone might be able to help me.

Again, thanks for the input so far.

The Rabbler
2010-09-30, 07:34 PM
I'm a bit confused as to what you're actually asking. Are you asking for a list of custom legacy weapons that someone designed using the legacy item creation rules? Or are you asking for some weapons/items that people came up with that work similarly to legacy items?

Can't help you with either, sadly, but you could simply decide on an idea for whatever item you want, decide what you want it to do, use the legacy item creation rules, and add stuff if it's not an option.

In general, I find that the sample legacy items in the books all have fairly good ideas behind them, but were designed and put together without thought put into making them powerful (or even worthwhile). I'd get rid of some of the more useless or extremely situational abilities and insert some others that would be useful.

zenanarchist
2010-10-01, 01:33 AM
Search for a poster named arguskos. Search for a thread created by him called "Measure of a man"....He's designed some insane weaponry that's worth many a drool.