PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Statting up Lina Inverse

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-29, 06:24 PM
http://otakupahp.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/slayers.jpg

I recently started watching Slayers (I am younger than the series...) and was curious on how to stat up her, since IIRC Slayers itself came from a D&D campaing.

I now they supposedly come from an 2e, but since I am not familiar with it I would prefer to do it on 3.5.

My first thought is some sort of gish, with a heavier emphasis on the magic part of it, though someone more familiar with the series can cprrect me.

What are your thoughts?

true_shinken
2010-09-29, 06:26 PM
She is a single classed Sorcerer with a Skillful Longsword.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-29, 06:27 PM

really that's just it?...um Skillful is the enchantement that gives 3/4 BAB when wielding the weapon right?

DragoonWraith
2010-09-29, 06:28 PM
...aw man, I was totally about to homebrew a Slayer class - based on the DotA character. Now I'm disappointed.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-29, 06:29 PM
DoTa??? what's that.... also in anycase I think you should do it, I love all of your homebrews:smallbiggrin:

true_shinken
2010-09-29, 06:33 PM
really that's just it?...um Skillful is the enchantement that gives 3/4 BAB when wielding the weapon right?

And gives proficiency, yes.
Lina could even be a Warmage, since most of what she does is blasting anyway.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-29, 06:33 PM

It is a lot more than a Skillful weapon. Remember it bypasses Demon DR (except major demons, granted that could be need Epic).

So I'd assume shadowstrike skillful longsword (shadowstrike lets it bypass DR).

true_shinken
2010-09-29, 06:35 PM
It is a lot more than a Skillful weapon. Remember it bypasses Demon DR (except major demons, granted that could be need Epic).

So I'd assume shadowstrike skillful longsword (shadowstrike lets it bypass DR).

Or just a cold iron skillful weapon should work. Silvered weapons is a cantrip, after all.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-29, 06:35 PM
Uh, does no one remember Slayers d20 (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_30&products_id=1466&it=1&affiliate_id=35526)? Really?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-29, 06:37 PM
Uh, does no one remember Slayers d20 (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?cPath=28_30&products_id=1466&it=1&affiliate_id=35526)? Really?

I didn't even know it existed...

Starbuck_II
2010-09-29, 06:38 PM
Slayers D20 isn't balanced. Not that D&D is, but it tries at least to be.
Slayers ignores this: and while fun has low level spells better than higher level ones.

Major Exception to balancde is stuff like Dragonslayer (but that is like Epic Magic seeds, not balanced if use mitigation) in the book.

Granted, they admit it isn't balanced in Designer's notes.

Morph Bark
2010-09-29, 06:43 PM

He who knows his enemy and himself well will not be defeated easily. He who knows himself but not his enemy, will have an even chance of victory. He who does not know himself and his enemy, is bound to suffer defeat in all battles.

...just... felt appropriate?

Tetrasodium
2010-09-29, 06:53 PM
Slayers D20 isn't balanced. Not that D&D is, but it tries at least to be.
Slayers ignores this: and while fun has low level spells better than higher level ones.

Major Exception to balancde is stuff like Dragonslayer (but that is like Epic Magic seeds, not balanced if use mitigation) in the book.

Dragonslave isn't tooooooo bad, it's an AOE disintegrate with no caster level cap that still has a save. When you combine with the chance to have it effect yourself if you fail hard enough on your check it sort of works out. Now ragnablade is definitely in the realm of epic spells. Gigaslave is really bad as a big AOE unless the DM decides it should be even larger (really it says that) everything dies with no save... but again, you have the whole chance for it to affect you if you fail hard enough on your check.

The sword of light is a +6 something or other that adds your charisma bonus to damage (and maybe hitrolls).

Lina is evidentially a level 4 loremaster, level 1 warrior, level 10 wizard, level 8 sorcerer... which sounds bizarre, but none of those are the traditional version of those classes.

Kylarra
2010-09-29, 06:53 PM
I really like the Slayers D20 magic system actually.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-29, 06:57 PM
I really like the Slayers D20 magic system actually.

Likewise with how they rework some of the standard feats. Great fortitude gives +4 instead of +2, but you have to eat 3x as much as normal or it goes away until you can go back to eating 3x as much as normal again for example. A lot of other feats have minor tweaks like that as well.

Morph Bark
2010-09-29, 07:00 PM
Lina is evidentially a level 4 loremaster, level 1 warrior, level 10 wizard, level 8 sorcerer... which sounds bizarre, but none of those are the traditional version of those classes.

Ultimate Magus?

Prime32
2010-09-29, 07:06 PM
For a Slayers game, I would use a houserule where you use your character level in place of BAB. Your actual BAB gives you a maneuver progression.

No one is bad at swinging a sword in Slayers - Gourry, Zangulus, etc. just pull off more "special tricks".

Or use this feat:

Spelldancer [Fighter]
Prerequisites: Arcane caster level 1st, proficiency with longsword or rapier, Perform (dance) 4 ranks
Benefit: While wielding a longsword or rapier in one hand and nothing in the other, you may use your highest arcane caster level in place of your base attack bonus. You cannot attack with weapons other than your longsword or rapier in the round you gain this benefit (including touch spells, but not spells channeled through an appropriate weapon).
Special: Spelldancer can be used in place of the Weapon Focus (longsword or rapier) feat to qualify for a feat, prestige class, or other special ability. An elf wizard may select this feat as one of his bonus feats.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-29, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Magus?

no, all of those classes are significantly different compared to the standard D&D versions. You could probably drop them into pathfinder without much reworking sort of different :).

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-29, 07:10 PM
Umm, maybe I should have been more clear on the intent of the thread... I wanted to stat up Lina in 3.5 terms without homebrew or using other systems... I am just curious, besides in the event I would play a game other than 4e it would be 3.5

true_shinken
2010-09-29, 07:11 PM
Or use this feat:

That feat is so broken it's not even funny. Hello, Master Spellthief granting access to epic feats!

Prime32
2010-09-29, 07:15 PM
That feat is so broken it's not even funny. Hello, Master Spellthief granting access to epic feats!It does not increase your BAB, so no. And Epic feats have "character level 21st" as an additional prereq.

If a gish takes it he gains little benefit. If a standard wizard takes it he won't be able to use it very effectively.

EDIT: I made some attempts at statting the cast before:

Lina Inverse
CN Human Warmage 15/Mage of the Arcane Order 7
Feats: Craft Wondrous Item, Epic Spellcasting
Equipment: Headband of mind blank, Metamagic rod amulet of empower, Metamagic rod gloves of enlarge, Metamagic rod ring of maximise, Belt of battle

Gourry Gabriev
LG Human Warblade 20
Equipment: Masterwork breastplate, Sword of Light

This +5 holy spell storing longsword grants its wielder the Spellfire Wielder feat as long as it is held. Unlike a normal spellfire wielder, you cannot use spellfire energy to heal.

Zelgadis Greywords
N Mineral warrior human Factotum 3/Ranger (Mystic rangerDrag, Shooting starCoV variants) 17
Feats: Able LearnerRoD, Arcane Strike, Font of Inspiration, Improved Initiative, Knowledge Devotion, Practiced Spellcaster (ranger), Sword of the Arcane OrderCoV
Spells: Dismissal, Earthbolt, Fireball, Fly, Light, Orb of force, Scorching ray

Astral Vine: Arcane Strike
Blam Blazer/Elmekia Lance: Orb of force
Dug Haut: Earthbolt
Fireball: Fireball. Duh.
Flare Arrow: Scorching ray
Lighting: Light
Ra-Tilt: Dismissal
Ray Wing/Levitation: Fly

Amelia Wil Tesla Seyruun
LG Halfling cleric (Strength, War domains) 18/Pious templar 2
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike, Holy Warrior, Strength DevotionB

Visfa Rank: Greater Mighty Wallop

Sylphiel Nels Lahda
NG Human cloistered cleric 20 (Protection, Healing domains)
Feats: Extra Spell (dragon slave :smalltongue:), Healing Devotion, Spiritual Counter, Touch of Healing
Flaws: Frail, Non-combatant

Morph Bark
2010-09-29, 07:24 PM
It does not increase your BAB, so no. And Epic feats have "character level 21st" as an additional prereq.

If a gish takes it he gains little benefit. If a standard wizard takes it he won't be able to use it very effectively.

Kobold Spellthieves, on the other hand... :smallamused:

I keed, I keed.

true_shinken
2010-09-29, 07:27 PM
It does not increase your BAB, so no. And Epic feats have "character level 21st" as an additional prereq.

Little benefit? Illumian Spellthief 10/Knight of the Weave 10 with Master Spellthief has CL 32 and base attack +14. Jumping from +14 to hit to 32 with a single feat is A LOT.
Also, you say it 'does not increase bab' but the text is ambiguous. You use Cl as bab. How is that not an increase? It doesn't even say 'use your CL for bab for attacks with the longsword', it just says 'use your CL for bab while using the sword'. So, yeah, your bab would drop ridiculously if you were disarmed or something, but as it's written, it does seem to increase bab.
You are correct about the epic feats, though.
Btw, your Zelgadiss build is awesome.

Prime32
2010-09-29, 07:28 PM
Little benefit? Illumian Spellthief 10/Knight of the Weave 10 with Master Spellthief has CL 32 and base attack +14. Jumping from +14 to hit to 32 with a single feat is A LOT.
Also, you say it 'does not increase bab' but the text is ambiguous. You use Cl as bab. How is that not an increase? It doesn't even say 'use your CL for bab for attacks with the longsword', it just says 'use your CL for bab while using the sword'. So, yeah, your bab would drop ridiculously if you were disarmed or something, but as it's written, it does seem to increase bab.
You are correct about the epic feats, though.You have CL32 and you're hitting things with a sword? :smallconfused::smalltongue:

holywhippet
2010-09-29, 07:29 PM

Despite Lina calling herself a sorceress in the anime, she wouldn't equate to a D&D sorcerer for two goods reasons:

a) Sorcerers can't learn spells from books/scrolls etc. Lina can and does.
b) Sorcerers (like all D&D spellcasters) have limited spells per day. Lina doesn't, nor does any other mage in the anime. They seem to use some kind of mana system, mainly they need to eat a lot to recharge their energy.

If anything a warlock would be a closer fit in terms of both fluff and mechanics.

true_shinken
2010-09-29, 07:30 PM
You have CL32 and you're hitting things with a sword? :smallconfused::smalltongue:
Only up to 5th level spells, restricted schools. Knight of the Weave is Faerun's resident Suel Arcanamach.

Despite Lina calling herself a sorceress in the anime, she wouldn't equate to a D&D sorcerer for two goods reasons:

Warlocks can't either. Sorcerers at least have knowstones/drakehelms. Warlocks gets nothing.

b) Sorcerers (like all D&D spellcasters) have limited spells per day. Lina doesn't, nor does any other mage in the anime. They seem to use some kind of mana system, mainly they need to eat a lot to recharge their energy.
Then you are not adapting Lina to D&D. You're adapting D&D to Lina.

If anything a warlock would be a closer fit in terms of both fluff and mechanics.
Warlock lacks the destructive power Lina has and gets a lot of specific abilities she does not seem to have, like damage reduction and fast healing.

Prime32
2010-09-29, 07:34 PM
b) Sorcerers (like all D&D spellcasters) have limited spells per day. Lina doesn't, nor does any other mage in the anime. They seem to use some kind of mana system, mainly they need to eat a lot to recharge their energy.The novels explain this. Casting spells doesn't actually use energy, since the power comes from an external source. It does tire you out though, and there's a limit to how much energy you can channel into one spell.
http://kanzaka.wikia.com/wiki/Pool_capacity
http://kanzaka.wikia.com/wiki/Bucket_capacity

Only up to 5th level spells, restricted schools. Knight of the Weave is Faerun's resident Suel Arcanamach.Still. There are plenty of uncapped spells which you could cast rather than having your squishy wizard walk into melee for +32/+27/+22/+17 attacks that deal 1d8 damage each. Especially since the raging barbarian with 46 Str gets +33/+28/+23/+18 and two-handed Power Attack.

JeminiZero
2010-09-29, 07:53 PM

Actually, if you wanted a class that could learn any spell, cast spells off a point system, AND have Lina Inverse levels of destructive power, you're looking at a Spells to Power Erudite.

Possibly with levels in Slayer for uh... better BAB. Yeah. :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-29, 07:54 PM
Actually, if you wanted a class that could learn any spell, cast spells off a point system, AND have Lina Inverse levels of destructive power, you're looking at a Spells to Power Erudite.

Possibly with levels in Slayer for uh... better BAB. Yeah. :smalltongue:

:smalleek: sooooo tempted to do that....

holywhippet
2010-09-29, 07:55 PM
I didn't say it was a perfect match, the Slayers have been described as level 30 characters in a level 1 campaign setting. There's not much in D&D to compare with spells like the dragon slave. I'm just saying that being able to toss around magic at will is more akin to a warlock than a sorcerer. Especially since the power for the spells is coming from outside sources in both cases.

Prime32
2010-09-29, 08:18 PM
There's not much in D&D to compare with spells like the dragon slave.Locate city? :smalltongue:

holywhippet
2010-09-29, 08:23 PM
Locate city? :smalltongue:

I'm not sure if that affects inanimate objects or not.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-29, 08:31 PM
I didn't say it was a perfect match, the Slayers have been described as level 30 characters in a level 1 campaign setting. There's not much in D&D to compare with spells like the dragon slave. I'm just saying that being able to toss around magic at will is more akin to a warlock than a sorcerer. Especially since the power for the spells is coming from outside sources in both cases.

Sphere of ultimate destruction is close. 9th level damage dice capped disintegrate for caster level rounds vrs AOE disintegrate with uncapped damage dice in a single round. Black blade of disaster & sword of darkness sorta kinda compare to ragnabade. Vengeful Gaze of God with a modifier to make it AOE is about the only thing I can think of that even slightly comes close to possibly comparing to gigaslave.

Susano-wo
2010-09-29, 08:32 PM
Gestalt Wizard/Barbarian.

She has the ultimate wizardly powers thing going on, and She is definitely easily enraged :P

Really, since Slayers doesn't restrict magic and sword slinging (Both Lina And Zelgaddis have 0 problems fighting in Melee), its the closest you are going to come.
Though you could go Battle Sorceror from UA as well. She uses a fairly small stable of spells, and can fight. Battle Sorc does this (sack one spell a day per spell level for d8 Hit die, 3/4 BA progression for proficiency with martial weapon, and I think light armor casting). Actually this sounds like the simplest, most elegant way to run her.

(oh and if I'm making any unfair comments RE slayers as to restrictions, what-not...I am only familiar with the 1st Season, and no books)