PDA

View Full Version : Verum Aeternus IC [CURRENTLY: Intro]

Rauthiss
2010-09-29, 07:29 PM
There has been something pulling you today. The wind blows in a certain direction, or certain areas have been more brightly lit than usual. The season of Necir is well underway, and the night is deeper than the other seasons. Nevertheless, you have found yourself drawn here. The air seems to be whispering, but just low enough that you can't understand it. Your motivations may be approximate or absolute, but something is going to happen. You can tell.
"The spell is weakening."
You turn a corner, and reach a small alleyway. There isn't much here, but as you walk down the alleyway, you arrive at a small clearing - somehow, you've found your way into one of Elempolis' many cul-de-sacs. As you enter, you notice that three other people have entered along with you. You don't recall any of them very strongly, but there is a resonance - as if you have met before in a dream. In a world of magic such as this, an occurrence like this is not unusual.
"We knew it wouldn't last forever."
You meet in the center. Here, you feel, your quest begins.
"I only hope that someone can stop it"

Terumitsu
2010-09-30, 12:17 AM
((Fails at resisting urge to say "First Post!"))

Hyrick was likely quite a sight, walking around in gleaming silvery armor yet with no apparent intent on anything. To say the least, he was rather depressed. His life's work so far had been delt a rather serious blow and he had really been wanting to try out that self propelled cart idea. He at least had the decency to keep his helmet off as that might have been unesesarily imposing to others. He found himself in a dark alleyway sitting on a bench to rest for a moment when he felt that there was something.. Not right. Or perhaps it was more right than anything. He couldn't tell right off. After a moment or two of coaxing his sore feet to take his weight again, he slowly made his way down the lane to the cul-de-sac.

It was really very odd... It was like being led on by the faintest whispers of the wind itself...

dyslexicfaser
2010-09-30, 01:11 AM
Ila Proudfoot

One of the four was a halfling, a very pretty little tween girl - not quite yet an adult by her people's standards, being only 19. She was wearing leather and light chainmail, a very out-of-character outfit for the devoted socialite, but the roads were dangerous, after all. She was not - visibly - armed.

Ila had been eager to get off the road, and was certain a bath and feather bed had been calling her name. And yet, she found her feet leading her to an abandoned alley where no one could hear her scream with three fairly burly - if attractive - human men.

If it were not for the small voice within her that assured her that this was a good thing, she'd already be getting out her skipping rocks to play a percussion beat on their heads. But there was just something... it was like a nameless but firm certainty that they could become fast friends.

She flipped her blonde ponytail over her shoulder. "Ila Proudfoot," she introduced herself. "What might you gents be about at this place and ungodly hour? And best you not be getting any ideas here. It'd be a little tricky to kick you lot in the stones - relative heights and all - but I'll manage if I have to."

Ila seems like the sort to assume you men are all hopelessly attracted to her on first meeting as a matter of course. I pity you guys having to put up with her, honestly.

Ridai
2010-09-30, 02:09 AM
Finias Windchild

Finias is a slender but lithe young man, swift in his motions and dressed mostly in the colors of the forest, carrying well-crafted short spear and a silvery bow engraved with many beautiful nature motifs. He is quite handsome, youthful energy shining from his blue eyes and having a certain otherworldly alluring air about him, beckoning others.

Finias had felt the pull of destiny and followed it to Elempolis, but he can feel it very strongly here, among these others who feel oddly familiar. You can hear a friendly chuckle as an answer to Ila's statement. "I'm sure you would. Finias Windchild, pleased to meet you." He smiles warmly and nods to the others. "Honestly, I came to Elempolis only recently and was just exploring the city, but it seems I have just found the purpose for coming here in you fine people."

Yeah, white text FTW!

Also, if you're wondering, the otherworldly aura is Finias' "Nymph's Kiss" feat.

KaganMonk
2010-09-30, 08:19 AM
A man in simple monk robes is the last person to arrive. He has no armor or weapons that you can see anywhere on him, nor any possessions in a backpack. He looks paler that post people and has a look of suffering that has been carried for a long time on his face. Indeed, his entire posture looks like he's carrying the world on his shoulders. As he comes to a stop, he looks at the others with a neutral, appraising eye and speaks in a low, flat tone.

"I'm here. All the signs and portents pointed to this spot. Darkness falling heavily during the season of Necir. Winds blowing, leading, pointing. Now what need have you for Brother Sorrow? I can feel the Purpose of being here, now what is it? Oh, and if no one objects to a bit of light, It is a bit depressing standing around in a dark alleyway at night."

Barely waiting for approval, Brother Sorrow puts a hand to his chest and daylight suddenly suffuses the area.

Daylight, of course. I'd missed the white text. Doesn't necessarily add anything to what we know, but it is a bit unnerving.

Terumitsu
2010-09-30, 01:40 PM
The first to arrive, perhaps, yet the last to speak, Hyrick shrugged inside his armor to relieve a bit of stiffness and offered a wan smile as he brought up a gauntlet to shield his eyes from the sudden illumination. It would do to give the eyes some time to adjust. His green eyes did brighten a little, though, and not from the light. The happenings of the previous day did not seem so very weighty now. Yes, arson on a wizard's abode was a seriously upsetting crime but there was something comforting about the singular moment of right now that held the worst of it at bay.

"Ah, greetings to you Brother and thank you for the light. And greetings to you sir Windchild. And I doubt the need need for that miss Proudfoot. Your reputation proceeds you and I hear there is quite a lot of nasty things you can do with stones." he said as politely as he was able.

Now, one of the most amazing thing about a wizard's mind is that there is always a stray bit of it that is rather detached from all the rest. Most of the time this part is constantly analysing or studying but occasionally it will take a break and introduce a particularly odd tanget of thought. At this time, this particular corner of Hyrick's mind thought to ask the question 'When her family gets together, is it Proudfoots or Proudfeet?'

Hyrick pushed that thought aside and instead went about introducing himself as he was obviously late to that part. "Ah! How rude of me! Call this one here Hyrick Idleson. Or Son of Idle if you prefer the old way. My dwelling is... Was near the outskirts of this city until recently. The circumstances are a bit more depressing than standing around a dark alleyway at night" he said.

Ridai
2010-09-30, 04:17 PM
Finias looks at his companions one after another again in the magical illumination, enjoying feeling the warm daylight on his skin. Quite a colorful lot, in his opinion, but he has a good feeling about them. "It seems none of us knows why we were called here, but I can already see there are lots of stories to be told. If you'd like, we could go look for a nice tavern and continue our discussion over food and drink, whether before or after getting some rest, given the time of day." Finias gestures towards the cul-de-sac's exit. He doesn't need food or drink and only little sleep, but a shared meal always makes things more comfortable and enjoyable.

dyslexicfaser
2010-10-02, 03:48 PM
Ila Proudfoot

Ila smiled and preened, pleased at Hyrick's tribute to her skills, of which she was justifiably proud. She was already feeling better about this. Flattery was absolutely the first and foremost key to this woman's good regard.

Finias's suggestion to go out for food and alcohol was a second. And of course, he was quite pretty, which made it a hat trick.

"That sounds delightful. There is a competition in the area I'd like to get to eventually, but consider me free." She would be sticking to these three for a while. She did enjoy the occasional mystery.

Huh, didn't even notice the white text. Iiiiinteresting.

Ridai
2010-10-03, 09:09 AM
Finias smiles. "Fantastic! How about you?" he asks Hyrick and Brother Sorrow.

KaganMonk
2010-10-03, 04:51 PM
Brother Sorrow shrugs, "It matters not to me which direction we go. As long as we stay together, I'm sure the destiny that brought us together will catch up with us eventually. Though I'll only take simple fare, I am not beyond the needs of the body. Lead on."

Terumitsu
2010-10-05, 04:21 AM
((Pardon the dely. Was busy with that thing called life.))

Hyric managed one of his normal cheerful smiles and remembered that there was a rather good tap not too far from here. Being a local had its advantages after all. "Actually, I know a place not too far from here. I pass it all the time when I'm out purchasing tools or what not. They've got a brew I'd vouch for and hot food." he said. They did have a mean stew spiced just right when the cook was in the mood for it.

Ridai
2010-10-05, 12:50 PM
"Sounds great, lead the way." Finias follows Hyrick to the tavern and remembers something along the way. "You mentioned a competition, Ila. I'm curious, what kind?"

dyslexicfaser
2010-10-06, 12:35 AM
Ila Proudfoot

Well, far be it from her to resist an opportunity to show off.

Ila reached into a bulging pouch at her waist and withdrew a river stone that fit perfectly into her palm, worn smooth by water. She flipped it up into the air once to get the weight of it.

"Rock-skipping, of course. It's the most popular halfling pastime there is."

She tossed the rock lazily, underhanded. It skipped off the cobblestone street, a shop's sign, somebody's door and then came to rest back in her hand, striking her palm with a quiet smack. "There's money to be made off it if you're good enough. And it's pretty good for impressing the halfling boys. Girls too, now that I think of it."

Rauthiss
2010-10-06, 01:17 AM
Hyrick leads the way, and momentarily, you all find yourselves in a tavern. It is known to locals as the Argee, and to not-so-locals as the Rusted Gryphon. As you enter, you note that the tavern is uncommonly full tonight. At one corner, shadowed like all are during Necir, sits a young man with a dark red robe. His face looks haggard, as if he has seen far too much in his time.
"Ugh, I've had too much of them. Those men are insane..."
On the opposite table sits a scaled humanoid that you all recognize as one of the dragonfolk. Oddly, he wears a suit of partially rusted silver armor over his cupric scales, and he leans forward slightly, as if ready to spring out of his chair at any moment.
"Something feels wrong... There's going to be a fight tonight..."
In the middle of the room, a group of assorted small humanoids sit together. Most of them are halflings, but a few have the unmistakable aura of magic that identifies them as gnomes. They all wear similar clothing - sets of leather armor, covered in miscellaneous clips, hooks, and loops. You can hear tidbits of their conversation, and it seems to center around looting abandoned houses.
"I can't believe they were so stupid!" "Yeah! Who leaves their door open during Necir?"
Finally, at the front of the tavern, sitting at the bar, is a pale figure. You cannot see most of his body - just his hands, as he wears a voluminous navy coat. Behind the bar is the daughter of the owner, and the bartender. Her name, Hyrick may recall, is something starting with an M. She is a young elven lass, wearing a black dress as she speaks to the cloaked one.
"Give me your strongest, Sweetheart."
She nods at the pale one for a moment, then pulls a glass from under the counter. It frosts over as she motions to a bottle sitting behind the counter, and what seems to be mead flows out of the bottle, through the air, and into the glass. She gives it to the cloaked figure just in time to see the group enter. She waves at them.
"Thanks... I've got things I need to forget"
"Welcome to the Rusted Gryphon! Have a seat; I'll be right with you!"

Ridai
2010-10-06, 01:47 AM
Finias recognizes the skill and technique involved in Ila's casual display, noticing the subtle movements and the way she estimates how to throw the stone so it takes the intended path. "Impressive. I guess I have something to look forward to if this was just a small taste." Praise where praise is due. Some things about Ila hint at her being a bit more difficult than most girls, but he doesn't mind it and instead keeps an open mind, curious what else there is to discover.

At the tavern, Finias nods to the elven girl and looks for a table.

It would be kind of fun if Finias became Ila's favorite of sorts (I imagine they already make good partners in combat), making him the one who usually has to keep the girl busy and is the target of most of her moods. Just a random thought.

dyslexicfaser
2010-10-06, 03:52 PM
Ila Proudfoot

Ila smiles smugly, wrapping herself up in his praise like a down blanket on a cold night. "Count on it. I'm very good with my hands," she declares.

When they get to the tavern she swiftly claims a table equidistant from the dragonfolk and the haggard fellow. She bestows a smile on the table of short folk, but remains with her group.

She settles into a seat, perhaps a little closer to Finias than Sorrow and Hyrick. She begins swinging her legs, the human-sized seat being a little too tall for her. "Things are happening, I think we can all feel that, but I reckon we have a little time, first. So, lads, you know a little about me. While we get settled, perhaps you might favor me with your stories?"

I like that idea, Ridai. Don't hesitate to rein her back in if she goes off on a tear or something; I like playing the drama queen, but I don't want to hurt the group.

KaganMonk
2010-10-06, 09:44 PM
As they enter the tavern, Brother Sorrow extinguishes the light around him. With an unimpressed look, he sizes up the occupants of the room, the line of his mouth showing some sympathy for the man in red, while tightening in wariness at the pale man.

As he sits down in the light of the room, some might notice that Sorrow only seems partially focused on the here and now. An equal amount of his attention seems to be focused inward, whether on memories or some silent line of thought.

"There is not much to my tale," Sorrow begins in a weary, flat voice, "a simple tale of horror, death, and undeath. By all rights, I should have been born in Necir, for my soul disdains the purifying energy of light. Instead, I was born during Vivur, wielding power that can destroy me. Long did I struggle with both light and dark, seeking to balance them and live a normal life. All in vain, for the restless dead seem to follow where I go, given enough time. So I travel alone, not caring for philosophy or religion, but aiding those I can along my path. I curse those who would cause harm and heal those who are in need."

"Above all, though, may the god of the undead help them when they do catch up with me. None have yet survived the light I can bring to bear." At this last remark, for the briefest of seconds, Brother Sorrow's attention is turned fully outward, the fierceness of his gaze catching each in turn before turning inward again.

Terumitsu
2010-10-07, 04:26 AM
Hyrick had only just become comfortable in his seat when Brother Sorrow shared his tale. It was slightly off putting how the Brother looked at everyone like that at the end of his story. Although, that small side of his mind spoke up and made the comment that he would likely be excellent in telling ghost stories. Setting his helmet on the table, Whinnie chose this time to make herself known, having been riding inside and taking a long nap. The ferret peeked out and looked around with her small, glittering, black eyes. Having the ever curious temperment to go with her expression , the brown and white rodent first peeked out before sliding her long body out onto the table to get a good look/whiff of these new people. She would likely make a nusance of herself in short order.

Hyrick made use of the now vacant helmet as a place to store his gauntlets. It was rather hard to hold a fork or a spoon with them on at least. While he was doing so, he attempted to remember the name of the bartender. Should come to him in a moment at least. It's usually easier to chat someone up when you know their name. Or at least remember it.

But he also had a small tale to tell. "Ah, well that is very interesting, Brother." he said, mustering a smile although he was not quite sure it was appropirate for such a story. "I hope you do not mind me saying so but I feel I was a bit more lucky. I was born a score and four years ago; well, that and a few months I suppose. In the time of Aerir it was. Grew up happy for the most part if one doesn't mind me glossing over a few of the unpleasant happenings. I... Was seperated from my parents when I was young and came under the tutelage of Master Tirric soon after. I learned the Arts Arcane from him as well as the Lore Mors Mortis." he said, dressing up the title of 'necromancer' in fancy trappings. It was always better to be safe than sorry on these things, he thought. "But it's been seven years since I have finished my training. Now that I think of it, I was an apprentice for a full seven years as well. Hah! What an unlikely coincidence. I'm afraid I'm not known for my bluster else I would bore you all to death with a full recount of my doings." he said.

It was about this time that Whinnie began sniffing at Ila, apparently interested in the celebrity. Or perhaps just curious if the halfling had any snacks she would be willing to share.

(Intellegence check to remember noted name of the bartender [roll0])

Ridai
2010-10-07, 12:35 PM
The young man simply answers Ila's statement with an inscrutable smile.

Finias nods approvingly at Brother Sorrow's story. "Sometimes, simple tales are the best kind to convey a message, Brother. The fact that you didn't give up and are using your powers well, regardless of hardships, status or creed, is remarkable and tells me a lot of good things about you."

He listens attentively to Hyrick's story, occasionally curiously following the ferret with his eyes. "My, my, an accomplished magician! I doubt that your past is boring." He leans back a bit. "As for my story, I must warn you that it might sound like a fairy-tale, so it might not be as interesting or believable as those of all of you. I'm an Aerir child as well and I was told I was born in an especially auspicious night. Ironically, as a child I was chased out of and nearly lynched by the people of my hometown, including my family, because they were afraid of my powers." The others feel a gentle, very pleasant and refreshing breeze, giving a hint of his precise control, but Finias makes sure not to bother Brother Sorrow with the positive energy part.

"I was taken in by the nymph Meryana and was raised by her and the other fey of the great forest next to my hometown. They're free and passionate people and they taught me how to be like them in all aspects of life. Found out I was pretty good with a bow and am given powers by the stars, so I used what I was given to protect my friends, the forest and the towns around it. Tracking down and, with the help of other brave souls, dismantling a demonic cult is probably most worth mentioning of the things I've been part of. Honestly, I would have liked to stay with my friends and new family, but, well, I could feel fate's pull under the nightsky. I'm glad I followed the call, though, otherwise I probably wouldn't have met you people." Finias smiles and shakes his head. "Oh boy, look at me going on and on about myself, I appologize."

I'd say don't hold back with Finias, dyslexic, unless it brings the game to a grinding halt or is extremely this-game-isn't-fun-anymore-obnoxious. Finias is used to capricious, high-maintenance (though ultimately good-hearted) fey, after all, and being around Ila might feel more normal to him than a "regular" girl.

More random thoughts (pick what you like)
Maybe Finias is an intriguing challenge to Ila once she finds out that he isn't as easy to wrap around her little finger as other men in addition to being curious about the effects of his upbringing. He might even become, oddly enough for Ila, the first person able to keep her interested on a long-term basis, which could lead to a lot of fun back and forth, maybe even with some emotional crazyness later on.

KaganMonk
2010-10-08, 08:15 PM
"Hmmm. We're all children from the first year of the change. Called by omens and signs to meet in the middle of the night. Powerful things are stirring this night of Necir, and it feels as though we're in the middle of this unknown storm. But what is our quest?"

dyslexicfaser
2010-10-09, 12:16 AM
Ila Proudfoot

"So they are drawn to you, and you destroy them," she noted of Sorrow. "A strange and unpleasant fate to be saddled with. A shame we aren't all universally beloved," - such as herself - "but that seems to be the lot of true Children of the Ele- oh, isn't she adorable!"

She cooed at the sleek ferret investigated her, quite distracted from weighty concerns and destinies. She broke off a bit of a ration bar - the things were certainly hard enough to serve as ferret food - and walked it across her knuckles and back again before holding it out for Winnie's inspection.

After a few moments of being entertained by her new friend, she focused back on the rest of the group in time to hear Finias's story. "So that's what that is!" she said, pleased at having discovered the answer to a minor mystery, namely his extreme prettiness and minor glamour. "We get a few nymphs out in the countryside - did I mention that's where I grew up? Spirits of field and grain and things. You remind me a little of them."

"Anyhow, I'd bet that if we just stick together long enough our quest - if that's what the gods have in store - will find us. So there's no reason we can't listen to Finias go on about himself some more," she finished cheerily.

I wonder if we should be less passive on the whole quest front? Pale Man, Red Cloak Guy, Dragonfolk and Halflings; Rauthiss-provided plothooks, or just something to flesh out the inn?

Terumitsu
2010-10-09, 07:04 PM
Whinnie's 'gambit' had paid off, it seems, and began munching happily upon the offered rations after watching the morsel with interest as it was played back and forth. After she lost the attention of Ila, the ferret decided to poke her nose at Brother Sorrow for just a moment before noticing the table where halflings and gnomes are gathered. It was the gnomes that interested her in particular as they would talk to her more often than not. So, she slid off the table as sneakily as she could and began weaving back and forth over tramping boots and between legs as she hurried over to the table.

Being a particularly smart ferret, comes with being a familiar and all, she might even be able to pick out a few snatches of conversation. It was likely she wouldn't be all that attentive of it but she kept half an hear out just in case she could manage more munchies from someone in a good mood.

Hyrick, in the meantime, kept an eye on the sometimes exhaustingly energetic ferret just in case she got herself in any trouble... Again.

Rauthiss
2010-10-11, 04:24 AM
After a few moments of contemplation, Hyrick remembers the barmaiden's name - Mellisandrialiariatisendrienebre. He also remembers why he could only remember the first letter of her name at first. In addition, he remembers that most people, to spare her the grief of having to explain the pronunciation, just call her Mel. Luckily, these facts come to mind right before she approaches.

"Hello, Hy! I see you've brought friends," she says, turning to the rest of the party. "I'm Mellisandrialiariatisendrienebre, but most call me simply Mel. Saves me the breath and them the time, eh? Sorry I've been so long in getting over to you all - I've had a man up there talking to me all night. He's just like so many - dark and mysterious at first, but the moment you get a drink or two in him, his mouth just flops open, and not because he's vomiting. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself! Tonight, we've got a large pot of beef stew over the fire, with warm bread in the oven. Drinkwise, we've got the usual - mead, beer, and water. What cn I get for you all?"

As the elf speaks, Whinnie's exploration pays off. After a few moments of dodging legs and boots, one of the gnomes picks her up and grins. His face is sharp-edged and quick-eyed, as if he was naturally built for being a con-man. With a small laugh, he places her down on the table as one of the halflings offers a piece of bread to the small ferret. Once the ferret starts gnawing on the offered morsel, the group gets back to speaking once more, their plaything temporarily distracted.

"I still don't believe it! I mean, honestly. I thought the 'tall ones' were supposed to be smarter!"
"Oh shut up, Kig. That door's handle was broken; it obviously wasn't just left open."
"You know as well as I do that there were no signs of struggle! They must have just accidentally broken it, and not fixed it!"
"Pov's right, Kig. You're just trying to justify the business."
"Which we don't need to do. We don't do it because they ask for it, we do it for a profit."
"Right!"
"Fine. But if anybody catches us, you two get to explain it."
"You know, we wouldn't have to explain ourselves if we had someone else to help us...Maybe distract people?"
"Hey... You two notice that lady who smiled at us?"
"What about her?"
"You're not suggesting we ask Ila Proudfoot to help us, are you?"
"Hey, you're all halflings, right? What's the worst she could do?"
"Um, kill us? Rat us out?"
"So why not just trick her? I've worked with you two, and tricking halflings hasn't been hard so far."
"Stuff it, Moleface."
"Got a problem, Quarters?"

Before long, the conversation devolves into nothing more than insults thrown back and forth at each other between the group. Luckily for Whinnie, some bread is thrown as well.

As the table of smallfolk begins to become more rambunctious, the dragonfolk in the corner begins to shift himself around in his seat nervously. One hand stays on his mug, while another slides down to his waist, gripping what appears to be the grip of a weapon. Judging by the shape of the scabbard, he wields a longsword.

The pale man and the cloaked man both look down at their drinks and withdraw into their own worlds, attempting to remove themselves from the ruckus. After all, common knowledge holds that trying to stop a fight among the smallfolk only leads to creating a common enemy for the arguing parties.

KaganMonk
2010-10-11, 06:57 AM
Brother Sorrow eyes soften slightly as he scratches Winnie's head before she heads for the other table. As Mel introduces herself, his eyes and smile lighten a little bit more. Though his voice stays flat, it rises in tone just a bit. "Drink does indeed make fools of all men. Which is why I'll stick with bread and water for now. I had a good meal earlier in the evening and wasn't expecting another."

Sorrow notes the dragonfolk in the corner getting shifty and shakes his head softly to himself. Best to let people make their own mistakes and learn from them, as long as no one got hurt.

Ridai
2010-10-11, 01:14 PM
Finias chuckles a bit before he answers Ila. "Wouldn't want to bore the others, but I could tell you a bit more later, if you want."

Once she arrives at the table, Finias smiles at the lively Mel, always enjoying having more people speaking freely around him. "Ah, no problem at all. Finias Windchild, nice to meet you, Mel. Stew, bread and some mead to round it off sounds pretty good to me, I'll have that, please. That man must've had quite a story to tell. If I may ask, what was it about? People seem to be really on edge lately." He subtly motions with his head towards the dragonfolk.

Terumitsu
2010-10-12, 05:14 PM
Whinnie was happy as long as there were things to munch on. She still kept her ears perked but that didn't null any enjoyment she got from the free food. She might decide to bother someone else if things became a bit too hectic, though.

"Hello again Mel. Seems like tonight is good buisness for you." Hyric said in a cheery voice. "Mead and beef stew sounds perfect right now, I think." he said. He allowed Mel to answer Finias' question first as he was somewhat curious as to that as well.

Now, common knowledge states that wizards are notoriously nosey when, in fact, they are simply a bit too curious for their own good. So far, Hyric had managed to keep a good reputation of keeping to himself, more or less, but he still liked a bit of good gossip when it came his way. Of course, wearing a heavily concealing cloak just begged others to ask what it was about. Unless it was raining outside, then it was perfectly obvious.

dyslexicfaser
2010-10-12, 07:24 PM
Though his voice stays flat, it rises in tone just a bit. "Drink does indeed make fools of all men. Which is why I'll stick with bread and water for now. I had a good meal earlier in the evening and wasn't expecting another."

"Then I am lucky indeed that, being a halfling and a woman, I am safe from such fates," Ila, who didn't deny herself anything if she could help it, rationalized happily. "Mead for me, please."

Rauthiss
2010-10-16, 09:39 PM
"Mead for the lady, bread and water for the monk, Full meal for the bow man, and stew and mead for Hy. Got it! As for the man's story... I'm afraid that's classified. Bartender's honor and all that. He seems drunk enough to tell you if you asked, though. Just don't tell him I told you," Mel says with a wink as she heads back towards the bar.

As she does so, the fighting over at the smallfolk's table begins to get rowdy. Before long, there are drinks flying, chairs falling over, and numerous small bodies in a wrestling heap on the floor. Mel rolls her eyes as she walks past. "Keep it up and I'll kick you out." The halflings, however, remain in their fight.

The dragonborn stands up and unsheaths his sword, guarding himself.

Ridai
2010-10-17, 06:15 AM
"I have no idea what you are talking about," Finias comments playfully with a grin, showing Mel his agreement. Once the fight becomes louder (and the dragonfolk stands up), he frowns as he assesses the situation. He turns to his companions. "You know, a barfight is fine and dandy once in a while I guess, but this could get bloody very soon and that doesn't help anyone. Luckily for us, we have a charming lady with us. Want an opportunity to shine as a role model, Miss Proudfoot?"

KaganMonk
2010-10-18, 12:45 PM
"Hmm, yes, if you'll keep the small folk from getting sliced and diced, I'll see what the cloaked fellow's story is. And if I have to do any healing for strangers, I make sure the healing hurts as bad as the knife going in in the first place."

Sorrow paces slowly to the bar and slides onto the stool next to the man in the cloak, thanking Mel for his bread and water as she brings them. "Hello friend. If you don't mind my asking, what cold keeps you so cloaked even indoors? It is indeed a dark Necir night, but I didn't think it that dangerous. I merely ask out of my own unease on this night of dark omens. Great powers seem to be shifting in their sleep."

dyslexicfaser
2010-10-18, 03:01 PM
Ila Proudfoot

Ila would have rather just bashed their heads together, but she had an image to maintain. "But of course, Mister Windchild," she said.

She headed over. Halfway between their table and the halflings', her usual purposeful stride became a relaxed saunter. Her hips rolled just so, and she developed a sway to her walk that usually only three-inch heels could provide.

She stepped into the fracas without a second thought.

"Now, now, lads. What will the big folk say if they see us at each others' throats like this?" she purred, her voice warm as honey. Her fingertips ghosted along the chief offending halfling and gnome's arms. "Whatever your problems, surely we can find some other, more.. amicable way to settle things?"

Diplomacy: [roll0] (+4 for being used on male halflings)

EDIT: Wow, Critical Failure.

If this doesn't work, or if - gods forbid - they accidentally pop Ila one, I guess I'll have to bury a stone near their heads with a Mountain Hammer maneuver. Carrot and stick, that's what I'm all about.

Ridai
2010-10-21, 08:34 AM
Finias gets up, too, but instead walks over to the dragonfolk, making sure to keep a respectful distance. For a moment, Ila can feel a light, gentle breeze, like a reassuring hand on her shoulder, telling her that he watches over her. "Easy, you are not in danger. The fight will stop soon, as the situation is in capable hands." He motions towards Ila and calmly watches the exchange, but always vigilant and ready to protect her in the unlikely case that things go south.

Natural 1s and 20s don't exist for skill checks. :smallsmile:

Finias readies an action to draw Earth and Sky (free action, thanks to the crystal set in the weapon) and fire a minor (by his standards) lightning arrow between Ila and the other smallfolk.

Apologies if you were waiting for me, I thought the game would progress without further input. :smallredface:

Terumitsu
2010-10-22, 07:52 AM
Hyric gave a small mental command to Whinnie to return. Better that she stayed somewhere a bit safer than she was now. Once that was done, he kept a watchful eye on his new aquaintences moving toward a dangerous situation. He hoped that there would be no trouble coming of this but he decided that it would be a good idea to be ready just in case.

Readied action: Cast Fog Cloud (Water Elementalist spell) if things should become a bit nasty. Otherwise, nothing.

Rauthiss
2010-10-22, 01:19 PM
The small folk settle down at Ila's words.
"Sorry, Miss."
"Yeah, we was just fooling!"
"At the same time... You said amicable ways to settle this?"
"Yeah... we might have an offer for you."
"If you'd be willing to, Ma'am."

They sit down once more at their table, pulling their chairs back in and setting the table back up. They pull over an additional chair for Ila, grinning at her.

As the fight ends, the draconic figure sheaths his sword once more and sits back down, taking a long swig of his drink.

Brother Sorrow's humble monk robes don't go unnoticed by the pale figure. As he takes a drink, he turns to the healer. His face is gray and bland, clearly the face of a changeling in his natural form. "Oh thank goodness, a monk. Look... I need to get something off of my chest. Can you refrain from judging me for my actions?"

KaganMonk
2010-10-23, 04:41 PM
"To judge another's actions to actions to determine their rightness or wrongness is not my place. But if you think you have done wrong, please, unload your conscience. If I think I can help, I will surely do so. If it reassures you, I am an adherent of no religion that I have yet found. I merely seek to make the world a better place." Sorrow keeps his expression interested, but open, encouraging the changeling to speak.

dyslexicfaser
2010-10-24, 01:26 AM
Ila Proudfoot

Ila shoots a look over at her old companions that said, 'Please save me from these ninnies', but Finias and the rest had spread out and begun speaking with other players. She was on her own.

She takes her seat and smiles at the other halflings and gnomes. "Let's hear it then, lads. I've found myself with a bit of free time on my hands lately."

Ridai
2010-10-24, 04:58 AM
"Please excuse me for a moment," Finias tells the dragonfolk after he caught Ila's look.

Very soon after, he almost seems to just silently "appear" next to Ila and the other smallfolk (maybe startling them a bit), thanks to his talents at stealth, like a loyal bodyguard. "Hey Ila. Seems like you've got everything under control over here. Evening, gentlemen." He nods to the halflings and gnomes with a courteous smile. "Very sorry to interrupt, but Hyric asks if we could continue going over the details regarding you attending the tournament, since we had to stop during the really important stuff and the star of the show needs to be celebrated properly. Just come over to the table when you've got the time. Gentlemen." He nods to the smallfolk again and silently leaves the table again the same way he had arrived. He isn't much of a master of words, but it should suffice to give Ila all the opportunities to end the discussion when she wants to.

Soon Finias is back at the dragonfolk's table. "Sorry about that, everyone's pretty on edge these days. I couldn't help but notice you seemed very nervous, may I ask what's wrong?"

I have this mental picture of Finias silently sliding onto the screen from off-screen and back again when he leaves.

Terumitsu
2010-10-24, 08:56 PM
Well, Hyric wasn't terribly upset that he was namedropped to help diffuse a situation but he certainly could have been told about it. He only just managed to avoid blurting out 'I what now?' when he heard his name dropped. Then his ears decided to let his brain know what was happening and he caught himself just in time, managing to make himself look like a smiling fan of sorts waiting for the 'good part' or so it was stated.

Not that he wouldn't mind listening. It was a rather incredible sport that required both skill and the ability to judge abstract variables in a very short time. Not to mention measuring the precise amount of energy in which to impart upon an uneavenly shaped object as well as speed of rotation, angle, direction so as to take wind into account, and many other factors. It was really no question as to why the wizard was fond of the sport. It was just an amazingly academic event hidden behind a simple, brutish display of physical prowess.

But with that noted, perhaps things will be a bit quieter now.